Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

I think you are literally the only person who cares about Backup. Isn't it against extended mags or tac reload or some other Objectively Better Perk Choice? :colbert:

Yeah, it's against extended mags. I can't argue anybody take backup over bigger clips unless they really really wanted to. However since "Commando is supposed to kill trash :downs:" is often A Thing, the 9mm being able to one shot headshot gorefasts, stalkers, and anything weaker is very comforting and really pads out my realistic ammo pool, and gives me more leeway to go "gently caress it, full auto/Burst!" when things get up in my face or a siren shows up that even those level 25 fuckers are ignoring in favor of shooting clots still 50 feet away from the car barricade on France.

Even if I miss half my shots, that's 7 or so trash zeds dead. I'd have to land 14 consecutive headshots to kill 7 enemies without backup if I wanted to bother with my 9mm.

I do switch over to bigger clips at the last few waves, and definitely for Hans. There is no loving point to backup when it's boss time.

Magres posted:

The fact that I can't kill Clots in one headshot with the 9mm on hard makes me so sad
Basically this, is why I'm glad backup works now :shobon: Sure the Medic pistol is a thing, but that costs money and you don't start with it for commando. 200 dosh not spent on a medic pistol is 200 more to spend on a medic SMG later. I see supports pulling out their 9mm on wave one because they ran out of ammo even though they didn't take supplier and I just feel pity as I click my flashlight on and off in the direction of an ammo box in the next room.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I put 90ish hours into the first kf and had a lot of fun with it and I was just recently feeling like giving it another shot when this came out so thats nice timing, however despite being pretty much exactly the same as the original but prettier im finding the game boring as gently caress. maybe im just passed this kind of gameplay or presentation or something but its just so tame and dull and the shooting doesnt feel as good as i remember.

Enemies ramp up in aggression and even moveset as the difficulties go up. Slashers start making tactical dive rolls and Husks start busting out close range flamethrower sprays. Bloats will haul rear end sprinting after you in a glorious display of moob jiggle physics. Normal difficulty is "Even someone as dead average as me can't possibly die unless things go wrong on the boss in multiplayer". Hard is basically "Standard" because enemy HP is also slightly lower on Normal (See, 15 damage 9mm killing clots in 1 shot normal, 2 shots everything else), and ammo boxes are not sprinkled like candy outside of normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Lol Skraths in hell take forever to kill.

If anyones got any tips on parrying skraths will the pulv im all ears.

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 3, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's kind of amazing how much easier this game gets when you hit 10 on a support. Suddenly I go #1 in kill leaderboards without even realizing it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wait until 15 when you get Tactical Reload.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inside Out Mom posted:

Swat needs one of these, so you can punch big holes in to zed chests

A class that can send Zeds flying backwards into other zeds would be amazing. Might be a tad overpowered though unless it only worked on trash zeds or something. Could the engine even support that?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If it can't, rebuild the engine :colbert:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Inside Out Mom posted:

Swat needs one of these, so you can punch big holes in to zed chests

Even though I can't specifically find the scripting for this in Kismet, I know blowing open doors to kill zeds should work in KF2 based on the amount of people I've seen ruined by scrakes busting open doors.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Even though I can't specifically find the scripting for this in Kismet, I know blowing open doors to kill zeds should work in KF2 based on the amount of people I've seen ruined by scrakes busting open doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P696IwhYj0

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
So this literally just happened and it's the first time I've ever encountered this bug. The wave ended and the trader period came up but there were 2 or 3 Crawlers that were still alive. Here's one eating my face while I took a picture.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Could you imagine if that was a feature? The trader doors open when there are only a couple enemies left and it doesn't tell you how many are still alive. Groups splitting up to take the fastest route and then making GBS threads themselves when they run into something really nasty.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It should, in fact, be a feature.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
That would be hilarious as a feature, especially considering a lot of groups will leave one or two scrakes alive as the last enemies.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Decoy trader pods that spray crawlers at anyone who approaches

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Question for the Zerks: Is Pulverizer/Eviscerator good? Or is it always Pulverizer/VLAD for endgame?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

widespread posted:

Question for the Zerks: Is Pulverizer/Eviscerator good? Or is it always Pulverizer/VLAD for endgame?

I'm sure Pulverizer/Evicerator would be good if you could actually carry that much weight. But that adds up to 16 weight when you have a max of 15 so welp.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
It's not a popular opinion but I prefer the Evicerator over the Pulverizer. Needing to parry is a rare occurrence and the Evicerator is better for killing zeds in my opinion.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Tanreall posted:

Needing to parry is a rare occurrence

It's actually a shame that this is happening for zerks right now.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, there's a lot of melee refinement going on here at the offices and one of the reasons is that blocking and parrying should be a major tool in the Berserkers toolbox. Hopefully we can get to a point where all of the Berserker weapons have a niche that supports the perk.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Questioner86 posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of melee refinement going on here at the offices and one of the reasons is that blocking and parrying should be a major tool in the Berserkers toolbox. Hopefully we can get to a point where all of the Berserker weapons have a niche that supports the perk.

Glad to hear it, Melee SHOULD be both awesome and somewhat essential as a Boss-tank/stunner, but right now it feels a little underwhelming.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe I've been on laggy servers and not noticing but lately I cannot counter anything. I used to be able to keep Scrakes locked down but now I'm wet, chunky confetti.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
What is it about Husks that they get all the best ragdolls?
http://gfycat.com/UnacceptableDimwittedElephantseal

Was discussed earlier in the thread but having Berserker/Dragon have some kind of unarmed grappling type moves would be pretty sweet.
SUPERSLAM http://gfycat.com/ClutteredDistortedHapuka

In which Hans gets Stabbed in the Back with a Hammer
http://gfycat.com/KeyColorlessIguana

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Does Hans have a different damage multiplier/take any damage if bullets hit his energizer-styled backpack? Wonder if it is useless to dump into him when he's running away from you, since that thing pretty much covers everything but the legs from behind?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Questioner86 posted:

Can we get any insight into why it seems that zed heads are extra resistant to Knife M1 swings?

Like, 9mm is 15 damage, and apparently the knife is 15 damage. On hard it takes seven 9mm bullets or M1 knife swings to the body to kill a clot. Then it takes two 9mm to the head to kill them, and apparently (many cheats enabled spawned clots later) four M1 knife swings to the head. Same amount of swings to kill by hitting anywhere on the limbs or body, but twice as many swings to kill with headshots :confused:

It's just one of those little things I'm curious about. Considering you can only ever notice it with knife M1s. M2 swings to the face will still one shot a clot dead just fine as ever, which is in line with the damage numbers dug up by the internet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 6, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Maybe the thought was simply "well you're just slicing the face and the zeds don't really give a gently caress about that" and they called it a day. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mindblast posted:

Maybe the thought was simply "well you're just slicing the face and the zeds don't really give a gently caress about that" and they called it a day. :v:

I suppose I could see that if it was the case. "You knocked off my Jaw? Bitch, Gorefasts don't even come with jaws!"

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Section Z posted:

Can we get any insight into why it seems that zed heads are extra resistant to Knife M1 swings?

Like, 9mm is 15 damage, and apparently the knife is 15 damage. On hard it takes seven 9mm bullets or M1 knife swings to the body to kill a clot. Then it takes two 9mm to the head to kill them, and apparently (many cheats enabled spawned clots later) four M1 knife swings to the head. Same amount of swings to kill by hitting anywhere on the limbs or body, but twice as many swings to kill with headshots :confused:

It's just one of those little things I'm curious about. Considering you can only ever notice it with knife M1s. M2 swings to the face will still one shot a clot dead just fine as ever, which is in line with the damage numbers dug up by the internet.

Don't quote me on this because I didn't code the melee system but my guess is that is has to do with how damage is calculated with melee attacks that have wide arcs.

My understanding is that different melee swings, achieved by moving in different directions while attacking, have slightly different attributes. A horizontal slash capable of hitting 4 clots standing in a row does less damage than an overhead strike. Also, I'm pretty sure those horizontal strikes deal more damage at the center point than they do around the edges. Depending on where the hit connects in the swing and what swing is being performed damage would vary wildly.

Again, not 100% sure on that. It's worth double checking while we're fussing around with melee, tho.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Questioner86 posted:

Don't quote me on this because I didn't code the melee system but my guess is that is has to do with how damage is calculated with melee attacks that have wide arcs.

My understanding is that different melee swings, achieved by moving in different directions while attacking, have slightly different attributes. A horizontal slash capable of hitting 4 clots standing in a row does less damage than an overhead strike. Also, I'm pretty sure those horizontal strikes deal more damage at the center point than they do around the edges. Depending on where the hit connects in the swing and what swing is being performed damage would vary wildly.

Again, not 100% sure on that. It's worth double checking while we're fussing around with melee, tho.

Hard+ health Clots, M1 Knife attacks to the head takes four swings to the head with vertical, horizontal, and "uppercut" swings (compared to the 9mm taking 2 shots to the head). However if I use a Commando with Backup, ONE M1 swing to the head is all that is needed along with the same 5 hits to the body as the 9mm, if that means anything. (PS, thanks Devs for fixing Backup).

The biggest oddity to me comes from the fact it is only their HEADS that take extra hits compared to the 9mm. If I slash at their legs, it takes 7 hits just the same as shooting them in the foot with your 9mm. But when you are hitting them in the head, it's 2 shots with the 9mm, 4 swings with the Knife M1 (even if I have been somehow hitting the shoulder two out of three times, it still takes multiple swings on Normal, where only one 9mm bullet is needed).

Maybe it has something to do with the fact Knife M1 is the only melee attack in the game that can't oneshot a clot skull? I have no idea.

Thanks for giving what insight you have for my very silly and niche question. Sorry about this technically being quoting :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 8, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Are the knives only visually different? Will we ever get alternate handguns to fit with their classes? :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Azran posted:

Are the knives only visually different? Will we ever get alternate handguns to fit with their classes? :v:

As far as I know, yeah it's visual. Machete does as much damage as a Scalpel, which I am perfectly fine with.

I've already seen gun :spergin: threads about how the current 9mm isn't a "Real" model. As cool as it would look, custom default pistols is just begging for :can: by comparison.

Or if you wanted to go for the practical angle, that's a lot of extra moving parts and reload animations to deal with across 10 perks for a weapon hardly anyone uses outside of normal unless they don't feel like wasting real gun ammo on clots.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Given infinite time and money I know I'd LOVE to have a unique-but-totally-mechanically-identical sidearm for each perk. If nothing else but to see people argue because we didn't make their favorite hi-capacity 9mm pistol special snowflake enough in the game by giving it the ability to zoom in further and reload 20% faster because :bustem:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Questioner86 posted:

Given infinite time and money I know I'd LOVE to have a unique-but-totally-mechanically-identical sidearm for each perk. If nothing else but to see people argue because we didn't make their favorite hi-capacity 9mm pistol special snowflake enough in the game by giving it the ability to zoom in further and reload 20% faster because :bustem:

I have a list of models most likely to generate rage right here :getin:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Questioner86 posted:

Is there a chance that medic grenades will stack again, albeit at a slower rate? I think they over-nerfed them in the current patch. Sometimes you just need to throw out all your medic nades at once, and careful usage of that SHOULD provide a higher heal/armor restoration rate than just having one nade out. It's also balanced by the existence of Sirens. Getting 5 nades at a time nuked by a Siren that would have otherwised completely healed your team and let them tank 2xFP is a pretty good risk/reward.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

I have a list of models most likely to generate rage right here :getin:

Sadly, the limiting factor here isn't the lack of cool guns to choose from.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a chance that medic grenades will stack again, albeit at a slower rate? I think they over-nerfed them in the current patch. Sometimes you just need to throw out all your medic nades at once, and careful usage of that SHOULD provide a higher heal/armor restoration rate than just having one nade out. It's also balanced by the existence of Sirens. Getting 5 nades at a time nuked by a Siren that would have otherwised completely healed your team and let them tank 2xFP is a pretty good risk/reward.

There's a lot of perk balance talk going on. We'll figure out something. I mean, it might not be something that makes you happy but I can say with absolute certainty that it will be something.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Questioner86 posted:

There's a lot of perk balance talk going on. We'll figure out something. I mean, it might not be something that makes you happy but I can say with absolute certainty that it will be something.

I'm hype for some E3 reveals. Same some rumblings on the official forums that the next mega-content update will be out around then. Witcher 3 has been tiding me over. It'll be nice to come back in a few weeks to big patch and hopefully *knocks on wood* a new class or two, as well as probably 100+ custom maps by that point.

Edit: at the same time, however:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3348355/early-access-developers-can-learn-killing-floor-2/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Questioner86 posted:

Heh, I understand. I'd rather see development time go to something everyone uses instead of something only Section Z uses :v:

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Since I've been playing Support a lot, I was thinking about its level 25 perks: 5% extra armor or 15% extra damage to all nearby players during Zed Time.

That got me wondering, since these perks are so specific to Zed Time they're probably unnoticeable to anyone else, but what if we took that and just made it so every class at level 25 got a passive team buff both in and out of Zed Time. Since teamwork is what the game wants the buff would only apply to teammates within a certain radius (similar to Support's) so people that run off on their own don't get any reward, and if someone dies it gets taken away.

So this got me thinking what each class could buff. Support could still give all teammates extra damage with guns, Commando could give all teammates faster reload speeds, Berserker could give everyone slightly faster movement speed, Medic could give everyone a little bit better self-healing or healing other people (such as other players healing the Medic) with their own syringe.

But then what about the classes that aren't released yet? I got to thinking that maybe Firebug could give everyone resistance to Husk fire, the Demolitions could give everyone resistance to their own and enemy's explosives (e.g. Hans' explosive grenades but not gas and the Pat's rocket launcher) or perhaps slightly better grenade damage, the Sharpshooter could give everyone additional headshot damage, or maybe make all weapons slightly more accurate, the Gunslinger could give everyone slightly larger pistol magazines, and the classes we don't know about, SWAT and Martial Artist, could maybe be a resistance to all damage or only physical attacks by enemies (so Husk fire, Bloat bile, Siren screams, Hans gas/guns/grenades would still do the same amount) for SWAT and additional melee weapon and melee bash damage for Martial Artist.

Of course, balance would be the biggest problem I think. By Level 25 if you aren't at least dipping your toes into Suicidal though it would just make it easier for good players. I don't know if a "only activates past X Difficulty" might work, but I was thinking that obviously these perks would be unstackable to 1) prevent everyone from going 1 class to exploit it and 2) encourage people to pick other classes. If you have 5 Supports everyone still only gets 1 buff the same as if there were only 1 Support.

I also thought that perhaps the buff would apply to the player who gave it just like the perks do now in Zed Time, but perhaps for balance it would not apply to the player, unless there was another player of that class. So if there's one Support everyone else gets additional damage but the Support does not, but two Supports could buff each other and the rest of the team would not have any additional bonus.

There was also the problem that some would probably be percentages, and that maybe 10% would be fairly unnoticeable but enough to make a difference, but others like the Gunslinger and Medic suggestions would need a set figure (like maybe 3-5 extra bullets for pistol magazines and 5-10 extra health if you self-heal).

And, of course, if you run off or the rest of your team dies, you lose all that.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tripwire kicked an idea like this around and rejected it for good reasons but I just had to write it out.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Is there somewhere I can post incredibly minor and pointless bugs because I really don't want to make a bug report thread on the official forums just for this but the hole in the SCAR's model bothers the hell out of me:

Psion posted:

Heh, I understand. I'd rather see development time go to something everyone uses instead of something only Section Z uses :v:
Uhh actually I'd totally use the hell out of a Browning High Power or 1911, effectiveness be damned I can't wait for gunslinger

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Is there somewhere I can post incredibly minor and pointless bugs because I really don't want to make a bug report thread on the official forums just for this but the hole in the SCAR's model bothers the hell out of me:

Oh yeah speaking of bugs I almost forgot. Obviously the "sometimes-when-you-reload-and/or-switch-a-weapon-you-lose-a-bullet-from-a-full-magazine" bug is still there but I've noticed two others:

In Zed Time it is possible to heal yourself with your own med-gun dart (at least as Medic) when running forward (and sometimes even when standing still) and at level 25 as Support sometimes I get 5 armor out of nowhere (I assume this is because of his level 25 perk Safeguard even though I always have Barrage selected).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Give me a giant gently caress-off sized Frankensteined Mateba revolver for my gunslinger, and a Godwin-pattern Bolter knockoff for my support guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda mostly solo'd Hans for the first time... on Normal :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTkIslzWl4

I joined a Normal game to hunt for Dosh medallions and the lv9 Commando actually took a break and helped me find them all, he probably got more of them than I did. We smoked the rest of the waves (I was lv18 Support so pretty OP for Normal) but Commando buddy died to Hans after his first heal. I ran around and managed to survive getting drained 2 more times and squeaked out a win.

So for anyone looking for Hans strats what seems to be working for me is to bum rush him from around a corner so he doesn't have time to throw nades, then circle around him like a Scrake, at close range he'll try to melee you and most of his attacks will miss behind you. You'll see I was doing pretty well until I slowed down and he caught me with a bayonet combo.