Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

oxbrain posted:

After generations in space the colonists arrive to find their new home mined out and more polluted than their last one. Good thing they already have a colony ship.

Nah zero pollution; I removed the atmosphere so it wouldn't ruin my shiny concrete finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Looking forward to a ton of new content. I've been wanting to play some more but I'm un original and challenge or self restriction runs aren't really my thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Have they said anything about when .12 will be out? I keep thinking every weekend that surely this will be the one and every week its some new feature they're adding before .12

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been :f5:ing pretty hard too. Production games are my favorite, and Factorio is king among them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I get the impression they're going to take their time with .12? They reached their comfortable stable .11.x version and want to develop a load of new things for the new version. I think that's the one they want to go to Steam with, too, so there's quality stuff to build up with it too.

I'm not expecting it any time soon, anyway.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Friday Facts 82, April 17th posted:

The [0.12 todo] list isn't so scary after all, so my optimistic estimate for 0.12 is 1.5 months from now, while slpwnd estimates 2.5 months from now. I know he is going to be right, but I still prefer to be optimistic and I also prefer to be pushed by deadlines.

So somewhere around June or July. Maybe.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
I did another little mod tonight. Easy Belt Layer (autoplace belts, with turns).

Could probably be improved. But I'm sleepy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm rather keen on some Multiplayer of this. I am bad at it as a warning though and never got that far.

Anyone up for some Multiplayer this weekend? Tonight or any day up till Sunday is good for me.

Edit: And how would you explain what this game is to a friend that doesn't make it sound like you've gone a bit crazy. "It's a game about making things to make things so you can make things"

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 4, 2015

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Fans posted:

how would you explain what this game is to a friend that doesn't make it sound like you've gone a bit crazy. "It's a game about making things to make things so you can make things"

Call it a :eng101: factory-building manufacturing logistics simulator :eng101:

Or just tell them to watch the demo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's actually a software framework simulator.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LordAdakos posted:

Call it a :eng101: factory-building manufacturing logistics simulator :eng101:

Or just tell them to watch the demo

'Well, you remember when McCain kept saying "drill, baby, drill" well its like that but with stupidly fast trains too!'

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You want to sell this game to anyone? Link them this.

E: vvvv :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 4, 2015

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012

Step 1: Watch the trailer.
Step 2: Play the free demo.
Step 3: Watch the trailer again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
That is a great video!!! I don't think I'll ever get there though :(

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Ha, for some reason I hadn't seen that trailer until now.

Congrats to the Factorio team, that trailer is going to go a long way towards making the game a commercial success.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Downloaded the demo a few days ago and bought the full game the same day. It is freaking amazing.

The thing I like most about it is that 'full screen' is actually borderless windowed. FINALLY. First developer I've seen that got this right.

Edit: Also, thanks for the tips on self sustaining coal mining at the start. Got this little quad going. 4 burners, 4 burner inserters and 4 chests.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

You guys might be interested in Big Pharma: http://bigpharmagame.com/

Scratches a lot of the same itches.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ambaire posted:

Downloaded the demo a few days ago and bought the full game the same day. It is freaking amazing.

The thing I like most about it is that 'full screen' is actually borderless windowed. FINALLY. First developer I've seen that got this right.

Edit: Also, thanks for the tips on self sustaining coal mining at the start. Got this little quad going. 4 burners, 4 burner inserters and 4 chests.

You don't need the chests or inserters. The miners can insert directly into one another, and ctrl-click (or shift-click? I forget) to take all the coal out of each one.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Foehammer posted:

Just saw that this was finally available on RPS today. Picked it up.

Going to be fun but jesus they need to tweak the belt auto-snapping a bit (and the right click auto selling something you've picked up for half price instead of just setting it back down. Too easy to lose money that way. But the game's 'not out yet' so if that's all that bothers me it's going to be a good one)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evilreaver posted:

You don't need the chests or inserters. The miners can insert directly into one another, and ctrl-click (or shift-click? I forget) to take all the coal out of each one.

Yes, I am aware of that. The miners only have a buffer of 50, though. The chests make it so I can go off and do something else for a few minutes and come back to more than 50 coal per.

Edit:

Foehammer posted:

Does this game have a demo? I didn't see one on the site and I'm not spending $20 for something that looks similar to factorio without playing it first.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Foehammer posted:

Nooooooooo

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ambaire posted:

Does this game have a demo? I didn't see one on the site and I'm not spending $20 for something that looks similar to factorio without playing it first.

I've been waiting for this to enter beta since hearing about it ages ago, so I went ahead and bought it. I'll try to play it for a few hours and report back so people will know if it's complete garbage or not at least.

Also, Sips just posted a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znSPAdmvpZE

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Put in a little more time with Big Pharma myself.

If you like Factorio but need more goals to have fun, it's definitely in that direction. Instead of being a big sandbox with "survive, make rockets, kill aliens" it's broken up into stages of "Make 100k in 10 years" "Produce X of Y, Z, Q objects within 12 years" etc.

Also a little more spacechem like in that effects/side effects occupy "positions" so order matters, and also that you'll be increasing something just to debond it later to get a desired effect, unlike Factorio where you cram it into a magic box and the only route is up. Similar but different.

Unfortunate there's not a demo though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gibbo posted:

Put in a little more time with Big Pharma myself.

If you like Factorio but need more goals to have fun, it's definitely in that direction. Instead of being a big sandbox with "survive, make rockets, kill aliens" it's broken up into stages of "Make 100k in 10 years" "Produce X of Y, Z, Q objects within 12 years" etc.

Also a little more spacechem like in that effects/side effects occupy "positions" so order matters, and also that you'll be increasing something just to debond it later to get a desired effect, unlike Factorio where you cram it into a magic box and the only route is up. Similar but different.

Unfortunate there's not a demo though.

Interesting, but I think I have enough games in beta. I'll wait until its released.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm really interested in Big Pharma, it looks like the kind of game I can play with the wife on the laptop, not too complex and doesn't need a poo poo hot PC.

Please do report back/make a thread about it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'd pick it up, but it's Windows only :(

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Quite enjoying Big Pharma though it does chug a bit when your factory gets big.

I made a pill with a terrible side effect and it's my best seller.

Nightmare inducing Insomnia cures. Aw yeah.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
That looks pretty great. Too bad I'm broke and jobless :( Oh well, it'll keep!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fans posted:

Ahahahaha, you invented a pill that sends people into a nightmare-fueled horror-coma and marketed it as a cure for insomnia :v:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Devs are targeting end of june for 0.12 release. Also, new gun turrets!

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-89

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Neruz posted:

Ahahahaha, you invented a pill that sends people into a nightmare-fueled horror-coma and marketed it as a cure for insomnia :v:

Not as good as my Female Contraceptive that causes flatulence. Sexy~

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fans posted:

Can you do more Theme Hospitalesque humor stuff like that? Factorio scratches my micro/macromanagement itch, but if i can make stupid bloated head syndrome jokes and the like, i'm in.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dongattack posted:

Can you do more Theme Hospitalesque humor stuff like that? Factorio scratches my micro/macromanagement itch, but if i can make stupid bloated head syndrome jokes and the like, i'm in.

The game isn't deliberately funny, but the Ingredients cures and side effects are randomized meaning you can end up with some pretty horrifying combinations that people will still buy if you're the only cure going.

Boogalo posted:

Devs are targeting end of june for 0.12 release. Also, new gun turrets!

That is one pretty gun turret.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 5, 2015

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Big Pharma looks fun but looks as though it doesn't offer as much depth as Factorio. With Factorio you constantly want to start new games because there's tons of ways to improve the efficiency in your builds. From those that have played both games, does that seem like an accurate assessment?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
As someone who has mostly watched people play BP (and has played, like, all of two of the tutorial levels so far myself), the appeal of BP is that it is more about figuring out arrangements. The building placement is more restrictive, and the characteristics of the components and effects are random each game, so each game you need to come up with new ways to make stuff work. Factorio is more macro-level logistics, Big Pharma is more micro.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah there's a random element to your starting minerals, with random side effects and treatments needed to turn it into a workable cure. So there's a lot of working out layouts to save space and also keep up with the market.

The way it works is each ingredient has a cure and a few side effects and a 1-20 Concentration scale. Cures and Side effects are activated along that scale, so Cold Relief could be activated on 3-7 and Nauseau on 4-8. You have machines that can add and take away from the Concentration in a few different ways and the aim is to try get the best match for the pill with the least amount of machines. So starting off you want to try get 3, so you don't get the side effect. Later on you can research and may find out you'd get more going to 7 and turning it into a Cream to lessen the side effect.

Right now I have a Headache pill that both cures and causes headaches.

Fans fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Fans posted:

Yeah there's a random element to your starting minerals, with random side effects and treatments needed to turn it into a workable cure. So there's a lot of working out layouts to save space and also keep up with the market.

Right now I have a Headache pill that both cures and causes headaches.

I'm a big fan of creams for thing that don't make any sense for there to be creams for.

I had a huge selling diabetes cream. What the hell do you do, rub it over your pancreas?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gibbo posted:

I had a huge selling diabetes cream. What the hell do you do, rub it over your pancreas?

You can actually mix Cures together to make really obscure medicines. Who wants Wart Removing Anti-Pregenancy Sachets?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Shame it's Windows only, or I'd pick it up. (The fact that most indie games come out on Linux as well as Windows/OSX has spoiled me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fans posted:

Not as good as my Female Contraceptive that causes flatulence. Sexy~

Nightmare pills are better; given that the side effect is stronger than the primary effect you didn't actually make a cure for insomnia; you made the Scarecrow's paranoia drug and upon discovering that one of the side effects was 'puts user to sleep' marketed said horror pill as a cure for insomnia.
It's perfect and beautiful in every way.