Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Worst Girl posted:

gee, Gon and Killua are starting to get a bit gay there

I guess I now know why it's called "Hunter X Hunter"
a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hmm.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Might fit better cropped.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:perfect:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I just need to think of some text to go with it.

Sorry Scrooge McDilbert that I'm changing it so soon but I really love the one you got me too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Might fit better cropped.

this is like a doujin I read once

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

pfft, mmos lol

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i was suprised at how funny amagi was for a kyoani show and then i saw that the fumoffu/lucky star/nichijou guy worked on it. i guess thats their "funny guy" because god knows whoever directed tamako market and chuunibyou can't do comedy

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

i was suprised at how funny amagi was for a kyoani show and then i saw that the fumoffu/lucky star/nichijou guy worked on it. i guess thats their "funny guy" because god knows whoever directed tamako market and chuunibyou can't do comedy

fumoffu is so good. Probably one of the funnier things that I have watched.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Do I have you on Steam Strange Quark?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Do I have you on Steam Strange Quark?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you do. I go by Squark there.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Why does it have pictures of dams?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

this show is legitmately fantastic. the interview episode was just as good as the best nichijou episodes. i loving lost it at the stab wound victim and "how often do you flick the bean"

boom boom boom posted:

i have no idea. the character is an insane hermit that did nothing but watch anime and build gundam toys for 10 years

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The pirate episode of Amagi is fun as hell.

It's a good show and I hope the Kyoani comedy guy gets let out of his cage more often.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah Amagi is super funny and i feel like it kinda got slept on. i'm still pissed about that bit with Toriken at the human business meeting though. I've been wanting to rewatch it on CR but i feel bad about neglecting my backlog.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the main reason it went under the radar is that CR only recently got it. Sucks that nobody simulcast it and honestly these days unless you're part of a high profile franchise if you're not being simulcast you might as well not exist.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

I think it might be a beaver.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Budget Prefuse posted:

i have no idea. the character is an insane hermit that did nothing but watch anime and build gundam toys for 10 years

That's not what I look like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think amagi also got slept on because it was coming at the heels of a bunch of pretty mediocre kyoani shows

between it and eupho i feel like kyoani's got its groove back

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

adtrw was like the only place with a decent/positive discussion of Amagi from what i saw, but it was still sparse. so when i checked out other places it was really weird to see no or negative things being said about it. like the show somehow wasn't good because it didn't "look like" KyoAni or it arbitrarily ranked lower on people's KyoAni faves lists.

e: Okabe taking Rukako on a date is really cute

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 5, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Adding Amagi to my backlog now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been meaning to check it out now that it's on CR. I enjoyed Fumoffu and it looks like more of the same.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Leaving for Japan tomorrow, going to be living as an ESL teacher there. I"m glad I'm at an age where I can appreciate Japanese stuff more than I used to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphid posted:

Leaving for Japan tomorrow, going to be living as an ESL teacher there. I"m glad I'm at an age where I can appreciate Japanese stuff more than I used to.
tell us when you meet sugita

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

tell us when you meet sugita

Will do. I wouldn't mind going out of my way to meet voice actors while I"m there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also man thinking about eupho and amagi in comparison to boundary just makes that show's issues even weirder

it's like half the production team wanted to do an episodic action comedy - they meet a demon, they fight a demon, hijinks inbetween point a and point b - and half the production team wanted to do a big character drama about what it's like to be an outcast, with some action to spice things up. And then they met in the middle and the result was just kinda limp-wristed at everything.

Like boundary isn't a bad show. some of the jokes land really well, the fight scenes are gorgeous, and a lot of the cast is likable. but then all the characters have no real depth to them and 90% of the jokes are just 'hey guys, here's my wacky trait. welp, bye,' like a bad support conversation in fire emblem: awakening. i think it'd be much stronger if it'd just leaned one way or the other, comedy or drama, because trying to mix them and also develop the plot in a 13-episode series just made it feel like watching cliffnotes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Amagi was very good and i'm glad more people might watch it now that it's streaming and stuff.

Also, i wish i could go to the miku opera.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dogsicle posted:

adtrw was like the only place with a decent/positive discussion of Amagi from what i saw, but it was still sparse. so when i checked out other places it was really weird to see no or negative things being said about it. like the show somehow wasn't good because it didn't "look like" KyoAni or it arbitrarily ranked lower on people's KyoAni faves lists.

e: Okabe taking Rukako on a date is really cute
It was literally the first good KyoAni show in a long while and the pitch wasn't exactly super strong, most people even here had low expectations and didn't bother until word of mouth worked its way into the Fall(?) thread.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

feeling real bad right now for everyone who doesn't read akagi. you guys are really missing out.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
did he beat washizu yet

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMR6WSNQRGw

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It was literally the first good KyoAni show in a long while and the pitch wasn't exactly super strong, most people even here had low expectations and didn't bother until word of mouth worked its way into the Fall(?) thread.

i even expected to not like it after episode 1, despite good word of mouth. :v:

but i guess i could be clearer and say "i watched Amagi and it wasn't K-On/Nichijou/Hyouka-level, it's poo poo and part of the 2-3 year drought" is an asinine opinion i saw elsewhere that bothered me

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

hahaha no not even close. the scans are around 20 chapters behind japan, and I think they just got finished drawing their hands for south 4th round there. unless akagi gets chiihou or renhou or whatever.

its more like washizu-sama is just the loving best and the latest translated chapters really show why. hyoudou is feared and hated by his underlings but the white suits love washizu and I'm pretty sure he loves them. young akagi is great too but not as amazing as washizu.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nob_LzFNbX4

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wait.

Did we get a Kaiji season three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010