Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In DBM news, that's a really cool trick by Uub and I'm going to be mad if it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

So I'm watching Dragon Ball and I just watched the episode where Yamcha pulls out the Spirit Ball against Hero/Kami.

I could have sworn that he didn't learn the attack until he was training to fight Nappa and Vegeta, but he's clearly using it here. Back in the day, did one of the original DBZ dubs erroneously say he learned while training under Kami, or was that entirely an invention of my imagination?

Not sure what you are talking about in terms of him learning that at Kami's, but that would have definitely been filler and that is a legit Yamcha move so if it was said it's definitely a dub error

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

So I'm watching Dragon Ball and I just watched the episode where Yamcha pulls out the Spirit Ball against Hero/Kami.

I could have sworn that he didn't learn the attack until he was training to fight Nappa and Vegeta, but he's clearly using it here. Back in the day, did one of the original DBZ dubs erroneously say he learned while training under Kami, or was that entirely an invention of my imagination?

The original Spirit Ball was used in Dragon Ball. What Yamcha obtained during his training to fight Nappa and Vegeta and showed first in the illusions Saiyan filler was an upgrade to it, the Super Spirit Ball, which was much bigger. You might be getting confused on that, if the series pointed out that Yamcha was showing his "new move" or something. Since my current memories are from Kai which did not have that scene, I can't say for sure.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Blaze Dragon posted:

The original Spirit Ball was used in Dragon Ball. What Yamcha obtained during his training to fight Nappa and Vegeta and showed first in the illusions Saiyan filler was an upgrade to it, the Super Spirit Ball, which was much bigger. You might be getting confused on that, if the series pointed out that Yamcha was showing his "new move" or something. Since my current memories are from Kai which did not have that scene, I can't say for sure.

Yeah, in the games Yamcha yells out "check out my extra large spirit ball" so it was a dub issue from the original probably.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Okay, that makes a lot of sense and seems pretty likely. I haven't actually watched those Saiyan saga episodes since...1999 or so (Jesus christ), so it's been quite a long time.

I'm gonna miss a lot of that filler stuff when I start Kai in a couple of days, but haha, maybe I'll just save regular DBZ to rewatch in another decade or so.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Spiritus Nox posted:

In DBM news, that's a really cool trick by Uub and I'm going to be mad if it doesn't work.

Same. Mostly because Zen Buu (and technically Uub) is all the Buu I need.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Just been rereading my manga copies of the end of the Piccolo/start of the Saiyan Saga and, aside from weird dumb translation choices and Piccolo's bizarre speech patterns, the weirdest thing is just how quickly the transition from "Dragonball" to "Dragonball Z" material is. One chapter everyone is happy because Goku has beaten Piccolo, he flies off vowing revenge and Goku turns down becoming God to fly off to celebrate his new marriage. Then, next loving page, it's Raditz's space pod crashing down to Earth. It's a real shame that the anime became the stereotypical drawn out anime, because god drat the manga's pacing is loving lightning fast, so good.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Just been rereading my manga copies of the end of the Piccolo/start of the Saiyan Saga and, aside from weird dumb translation choices and Piccolo's bizarre speech patterns, the weirdest thing is just how quickly the transition from "Dragonball" to "Dragonball Z" material is. One chapter everyone is happy because Goku has beaten Piccolo, he flies off vowing revenge and Goku turns down becoming God to fly off to celebrate his new marriage. Then, next loving page, it's Raditz's space pod crashing down to Earth. It's a real shame that the anime became the stereotypical drawn out anime, because god drat the manga's pacing is loving lightning fast, so good.

Goku actually says he needs only _10 seconds_ to make a spirit bomb during his fight against Vegeta. Goes to show how much the anime dragged things out.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

ChronoReverse posted:

Goku actually says he needs only _10 seconds_ to make a spirit bomb during his fight against Vegeta. Goes to show how much the anime dragged things out.

By the same accord in the Anime it was the glorious 5 minutes until Namek blew up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ChronoReverse posted:

What.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thyrork posted:

Same. Mostly because Zen Buu (and technically Uub) is all the Buu I need.

Yeah, I think Buu will lose because Uub is really underrepresented and Fat Buu is kind of irrelevant in all of this. No one would believe he'd win.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

By the same accord in the Anime it was the glorious 5 minutes until Namek blew up.

I've been making my way through DBZ Kai and I got up to '5 minutes' a few days ago.

'Maybe this actually lasts five minutes now with all the filler cut-out!' I thought.

The fight went on for another five episodes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something to be said when even in Kai I found myself wondering when the hell they would get out of Namek.

The saddest thing is that I really like that arc and I only liked it even more with my rewatch (seriously, Krillin outsmarting both Freeza and Vegeta, and Vegeta himself outsmarting Freeza is wonderful, sometimes power levels really don't matter), but it still dragged on like hell. Even as a giant Ginyu Force fan I honestly feel the arc would've worked better without them.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

In chapter 233, Goku actually says "I just need 10 seconds" in the translation I'm reading. Anyone with the Japanese there?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Nope, not for that one.

I bought three volumes of DragonballSD and I'm now wondering why it exists. Outside of extracting money from rubes like me I guess. In my defense they were so cheap they were in impulse buy territory.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, I think Buu will lose because Uub is really underrepresented and Fat Buu is kind of irrelevant in all of this. No one would believe he'd win.

On the other hand DBM tends to make characters that have an early advantage lose, so Buu still might win.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If I'm looking forward to anything in Return of F it's seeing Frieza train. I hope that isn't off screen.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If I'm looking forward to anything in Return of F it's seeing Frieza train. I hope that isn't off screen.

Bad news for ya.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's gotta be the full Rocky montage, shot for shot, with "Eye of the Cha-La" playing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well, let's hope that the extended version of RoF adds in a Rocky style training montage!

~~It's the EYE of the Frost Demon, it's the THRILL of the fight!~~

EDIT: GOD DAMMIT

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 5, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-06-04/dragon-ball-super-tv-anime-debuts-on-july-5/.88900

Confirmed that Super will air right off the heels of Kai, if it wasn't already and I missed the memo.

I wonder if there will be a reasonable way for Americans to see Resurrection 'F' before then. Any word when the DVD is being released in Japan?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neo_Crimson posted:

On the other hand DBM tends to make characters that have an early advantage lose, so Buu still might win.

This is also the first round after Zen Buu gave a bunch of fighters a buff, though. If they let Uub win it'd definitely make things less predictable.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is also the first round after Zen Buu gave a bunch of fighters a buff, though. If they let Uub win it'd definitely make things less predictable.

No it isn't, there was that Goku vs. Frieza fight where Frieza had that weird Reality Marble ability.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Bad news for ya.

That's too bad. I like the idea of Frieza just needing to train a little to rival Goku.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

XboxPants posted:

It looks like it's this scene at the 2:42 timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbY7a7JsmA

This video is mirrored and cut off at the top & bottom, but it's the same exact frame. The thing is, that image you posted is from a cel of animation that someone owned, so I think you're not going to find an exact match from the actual show because that scene has various post-processing on it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

That's too bad. I like the idea of Frieza just needing to train a little to rival Goku.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I finally finished Dragon Ball. The final battle between Goku and "Junior" was great, and I loved how it got progressively more and more destructive. It really is basically DBZ at that point. The last filler arc with Goku and Chichi having an adventure together was nice too, though the entire episode with a mountain that literally hated women was really odd. I take the dub having Pilaf dismiss the story of the mountain as nonsense being an admission of sorts from the English script writers, haha.

I've started finally watching Kai as well! The new theme song is cool, and the touched up animation is nice. Choosing to start the show with Frieza killing Bardock (While having one of his visions of Goku on Namek no less) is an interesting dramatic choice, and kind of helps frame this section of the story a little better by playing up the Superman parallel hard. You can tell between this, Jaco, Yo Son Goku, and even the beginning of Battle of Gods that something like Resurrection F has been floating around the aether for a while now.

Some of the edits in this first episode are a little jumpy though, so it'll be interesting to see if this continues over time. Also holy crap they actually have a line in Kai explaining why Launch is gone!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 5, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Maybe I am easy to entertain, but honestly the Vegeta moments of DBZA really are the funniest for me.

"Blah blah blah PRINCE OF ALL SAYAINS blah blah PRIDE!" still sad they don't get give the Faulconer a shot, I love his stuff for Cell, especially when he becomes perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmhGe3EbCc 4:33 just kind of hits all the notes for me.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Raxivace posted:

Also holy crap they actually have a line in Kai explaining why Launch is gone!

Hah, I must've missed that. What was the line? Presumably not "Toriyama forgot she existed."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Panic Restaurant posted:

Hah, I must've missed that. What was the line? Presumably not "Toriyama forgot she existed."

Bulma kind of randomly asks where Launch is in the first episode. Krillin answers with something like "Launch? She left like four years ago chasing after Tien".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Raxivace posted:

Bulma kind of randomly asks where Launch is in the first episode. Krillin answers with something like "Launch? She left like four years ago chasing after Tien".

This is straight from the Manga, so I can only assume that the old funi dub just cut it since their audience wouldn't know who she was.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

is it bad that I kinda want an Avatar sized version of this gif?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Freeza says he trains for 4 months but they don't show it. Also the timeline in the film is bizarre since the way it's presented makes it seem like Freeza attacks earth really quickly after he's resurrected. The dragon brings him back and Piccolo and Gohan sense a strange ki, then the next you see of them they have sensed Freeza coming and are preparing to fight him. Might make more sense hearing a character say "IT IS NOW FOUR MONTHS AFTER THE DRAGON WAS SUMMONED."

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
I think it's hilarious that if Freeza had ever given the slightest poo poo that he would be the no holds barred strongest thing in the universe able to trash even Majin Buu like nothing. What a scrub.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Thunderbro posted:

I think it's hilarious that if Freeza had ever given the slightest poo poo that he would be the no holds barred strongest thing in the universe able to trash even Majin Buu like nothing. What a scrub.
I mean that's kind of the grand joke. He was the no holds barred strongest thing in the universe able to trash anything he came across like nothing. Then some upstart Saiyan did this Super Saiyan thing.

Let's not forget the hilarity that is his best agent being at a power level of like 120k when he clocked 530k 3 forms down. The only people in the same league that weren't the literal God of Destruction were his family.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i heard arale will be in super, is this true

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Xibanya posted:

Freeza says he trains for 4 months but they don't show it. Also the timeline in the film is bizarre since the way it's presented makes it seem like Freeza attacks earth really quickly after he's resurrected. The dragon brings him back and Piccolo and Gohan sense a strange ki, then the next you see of them they have sensed Freeza coming and are preparing to fight him. Might make more sense hearing a character say "IT IS NOW FOUR MONTHS AFTER THE DRAGON WAS SUMMONED."

I'd love/hate for Frieza being resurrected, training, and getting his face stomped every couple arcs and turn him into a Garlic Jr. type enemy. Every time he's still just as cocky. "Four months of training should suffice." Dead. "Six. Six months of training. Then I will destroy them!" Dead. "EIGHT. EIGHT MONTHS AND THEN THOSE-" Dead. "TEN! TEN MONTHS AND THEN I WILL CHOKE THOSE MONKEYS WITH THEIR OWN TAILS!" Dead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Leaf posted:

I'd love/hate for Frieza being resurrected, training, and getting his face stomped every couple arcs and turn him into a Garlic Jr. type enemy. Every time he's still just as cocky. "Four months of training should suffice." Dead. "Six. Six months of training. Then I will destroy them!" Dead. "EIGHT. EIGHT MONTHS AND THEN THOSE-" Dead. "TEN! TEN MONTHS AND THEN I WILL CHOKE THOSE MONKEYS WITH THEIR OWN TAILS!" Dead.

With the joke being that by the third time or so he's far beyond Beerus, but Goku and Vegeta just keep getting new hair colours which make them increasingly more powerful.

He can still OHKO Gohan, of course.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Multiverse hit: Yay, victory for Uub! That was a fun one. Next up is Crazy Evil Alternate Goku versus Vegeta prime. That should be interesting, especially since neither of the two have really had a serious fight all tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like how happy Buu is even when he lost. He was just in for fun, so he takes losing in stride. So nice.

Also the Supreme Kai was useful, this is the least realistic fan comic ever.

And Vegeta gets to fight Kakarot next as he wanted! Not his Kakarot, but close enough. That said, considering Vegeta can go up to Super Saiyan 2, I wonder if Kakarot has a chance, he hasn't shown forms beyond the original Super Saiyan. His Vegeta became a Super Saiyan 3 (as short-lived as it was) and could become a Super Saiyan 2 already in the story, but I don't think it's been said if Kakarot can go beyond Super Saiyan.

• Locked thread