Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flint_Paper posted:

God help me I've found myself wanting amiibos and I don't know why. I bought a Kirby because he is cute as heck and I've pre-ordered the wool Yoshi because I'm not a loving monster, but is this some kind of slippery slope? I don't even intend to use the things I just like their funny little faces.

It's only easy to stop at the beginning. It's all downhill from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
You might as well get acquainted with the Amiibo thread.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Get behind me, Satan.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

Get behind me, Satan.

Satan, take the wheel.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rookersh posted:

:a good idea:

Hello friend, I feel like i could really help answer this due to my position! at the start of last month I purchased a Wiiu after having missed out on Nintendo's gaming years. The strictly only Wiiu titles Ive played more than justify owning this console. The fact that you can get hundreds of great past games too is icing on the cake.

Plus Mario Maker (the most anticipated game in my life as a video gamer) is due in a few months!

i think you will have great fun with the console and many more great gaming years to come! :>

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's funny in a way, in my high school days I put together 2 Mario World hacks and taught myself how to put in custom enemies and stuff and all these bells and whistles but got burned out forever after that (I wonder why.)

Yet here I am super excited about Mario Maker despite the fact I could do pretty much everything it offers if I put some more effort into it. Only thing I don't really dig about it is the drop shadow I see in some scenes on the sprites, the fact there doesn't seem to be a way to make the pipes work and there's only 4 settings.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's funny in a way, in my high school days I put together 2 Mario World hacks and taught myself how to put in custom enemies and stuff and all these bells and whistles but got burned out forever after that (I wonder why.)

Yet here I am super excited about Mario Maker despite the fact I could do pretty much everything it offers if I put some more effort into it. Only thing I don't really dig about it is the drop shadow I see in some scenes on the sprites, the fact there doesn't seem to be a way to make the pipes work and there's only 4 settings.

Okay.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you just got owned, coolguy

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is an owned guy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just buy the 40$ figma for Lucina

Where are you seeing this? Cheapest I have seen it was $90.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Well it used to be 40! :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have been destroyed. Witness my shame.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to do.

I was checking around online for deals on games, and for some reason Undercover and Pikmin 3 range from $60-$80? Is that just an online thing, and if I actually go store to store to try and find them I could get them cheaper? That seems bananas for two launch year titles. ZombieU is $10, Wonderful 101 is $20ish, and Bayo 2 is $30ish, all of those seem to add up properly, and feel like good prices for how old they are. I'm not spending $80 on Lego Undercover though.

I would suggest buying the refurb Wii U when it's in stock. It tends to go out of stock, and I can guarantee you that if there's any announcement at E3 for a good title, the refurbs will sell out soon after.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have been destroyed. Witness my shame.

:mediocre:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wanted to buy the amiibo 3 pack but it was sold out everywhere I looked, and I already have inkboy, and I don't know anyone who'd want to buy just inkboy. The package is somewhere in the trash in the dumpster, lol.

I have the inkgirl and I don't give a poo poo about amiibos beyond unlocking the single player stuff with them, so I'll trade you if you want when I'm done with it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In three months when I actually have time to buy and play this game I'm betting these Amiibo will be available OTC and not be too hard to find.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

greatn posted:

In three months when I actually have time to buy and play this game I'm betting these Amiibo will be available OTC and not be too hard to find.

LOL. Godspeed.

edit: Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about Splatoon. I thought you meant Lucina and Robin.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 4, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It ended up being that way with Mega Man and Sonic.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

The West Coast Port Strikes were the reason that Amiibo were hard to find according to Nintendo. But that's over and things have returned to normal, and there are still Amiibo shrotages

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

The West Coast Port Strikes were the reason that Amiibo were hard to find according to Nintendo. But that's over and things have returned to normal, and there are still Amiibo shrotages

Yeah, because until this current wave, everything has been produced before or right as amiibo were first released. I think wave 4 stuff was manufactured in January. I.e. Before they knew just how crazy stock issues were going to be. Just looking at the initial hype and holiday sales, I'm willing to bet their thought process was "well of course they're selling well, they're the new hotness". I don't think anyone was anticipating the hype to continue this strong this long.

Now that that's all out of the way, there's been regular restocks on all sorts of previously rare amiibo; Marth, Villager, Dedede and Lucario have all seen reissues in recent memory.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

someone please pm me when i can buy a shulk for retail price again

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i bought a shulk for retail price yesterday, try checking this

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
There are at least 4 or 5 amiibos I would buy in an instant if I could just get them for retail price at a store or online retailer. I'm not willing to hunt them down and go through a gauntlet of BS just to pay 3-4 times what they're meant to cost.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Treebeh posted:

There are at least 4 or 5 amiibos I would buy in an instant if I could just get them for retail price at a store or online retailer. I'm not willing to hunt them down and go through a gauntlet of BS just to pay 3-4 times what they're meant to cost.

I'd probably buy more if they were retail price on Amazon. But every time I go check out prices or a have an urge to buy I'm lucky to see a half dozen of the figures for sale as MSRP.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I am going to buy a Ganondorf amiibo for retail price, and I will open him and use him to unlock Ganondorf's Trident in Hyrule Warriors. Then I will put him on a shelf in between Diddy Kong and Toon Link and he will watch me play.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
edit: drat it, double post, sorry!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 4, 2015

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
To the guy hesitant about it, buy the Wii U! It is awesome! It is worth it for Mario Kart 8 alone. Also, E3 will bring more awesome games we can't even imagine!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 4, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Saoshyant posted:

AmiAmi has it for about $60, but they've been sold out for a while.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tender Bender posted:

I am going to buy a Ganondorf amiibo for retail price, and I will open him and use him to unlock Ganondorf's Trident in Hyrule Warriors. Then I will put him on a shelf in between Diddy Kong and Toon Link and he will watch me play.

Joke's on you it unlocks gauntlets instead and he kicks and punches through everything.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
When I bought Smash it came with a free Amiibo and I picked Samus because Samus is awesome. I also never opened it because I don't care about Amiibos.

So what are the chances I'll be able to sell my MINT CONDITION ORIGINAL RUN SAMUS AMIIBO MINT IN BOX A+++++ item for megabucks in a few years?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm kind of confused where there is all this "UNOPENED UNTOUCHED BOX" stuff that's selling online.

Like, does everyone just collect the box and items to go "that's worth money if i ever sell it", and then never does?

Seriously, like just throw this poo poo in a shoebox and go "ALL AMIIBOS SLIGHTLY USED $20" and I'll go for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi Wii U thread.

I have a Mario-crazed 5-year old daughter, and I want to be the Cool Weekend Dad and have a Wii U in my apartment.

I don't really keep up with this stuff too much anymore, though I did waste many an afternoon in college Smash Brothering on the Gamecube.

Budget is 300 bucks to start with.

Pricing out refurbished stuff direct from Nintendo, I can get the system, NSMB/L Wii U (she said she wants the one where you can turn into a cat, that's this one?) and a motion plus controller (so we can two-player) for like 250 bucks. What other games are good for a young kid who loves Super Mario?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Otisburg posted:

NSMB/L Wii U (she said she wants the one where you can turn into a cat, that's this one?)

unfortunately no, you're looking for super mario 3d world

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

oddium posted:

unfortunately no, you're looking for super mario 3d world

fortunately, you can get a refurb with super mario 3d world and nintendoland for $225 https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod560316

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Awesome, thanks goons. I can get the refurb with it bundled, the paddle, and NSB/L for comfortably under budget.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Otisburg posted:

Awesome, thanks goons. I can get the refurb with it bundled, the paddle, and NSB/L for comfortably under budget.

You can also get the Nes / snes / n64 mario games on the virtual console. Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii as well. It's a good mario console.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Asnorban posted:

You can also get the Nes / snes / n64 mario games on the virtual console. Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii as well. It's a good mario console.

How far backwards compatible is it with disc games? Just to Wii?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm kind of confused where there is all this "UNOPENED UNTOUCHED BOX" stuff that's selling online.

Like, does everyone just collect the box and items to go "that's worth money if i ever sell it", and then never does?

Seriously, like just throw this poo poo in a shoebox and go "ALL AMIIBOS SLIGHTLY USED $20" and I'll go for it.

People are crazy. I saw someone posting in a facebook amiibo group about their purchase of a complete wave 1, 2, and 3 they got off of ebay for like 700 dollars. People pay for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Otisburg posted:

How far backwards compatible is it with disc games? Just to Wii?

Just Wii. You can play GC games if you softmod the system though.

• Locked thread