Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AlbieQuirky posted:

I like Coastal.com. They are not the cheapest, but the price-to-quality ratio is good.

Hell, that's cheaper than what I get from my optometrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
\My husband got a bit of nasty hate mail about me from an *anonymous* friend who wishes to remain nameless. Is there any way I can find out more about the identity of the anonymous writer? She/he used an email that is a throwaway one. Thanks in advance, Megathread!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Real Name Grover posted:

I thought there once was a Chinese/Mandarin megathread, but I couldn't find it so...

This is a storefront/business in a nondescript commercial area off the main drag in Omaha, NE. Googling the address didn't turn up anything. It never appears to be open and those curtains are always closed.

Can anyone translate?

Yong Chun Gong Fu

= wing chun, kung fu

It's a martial arts place.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I like Coastal.com. They are not the cheapest, but the price-to-quality ratio is good.

I have been buying from them for years but over the last year they have gotten sketchy to the point of looking for somewhere else.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a very old HD that I haven't touched in 10 or so years in my drawer. I want to see if I can pull any data from it. This is the HD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148019R

What do I need to transfer the files from it to my computer?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

I have a very old HD that I haven't touched in 10 or so years in my drawer. I want to see if I can pull any data from it. This is the HD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148019R

What do I need to transfer the files from it to my computer?

a SATA cable.

Just put it in your computer. If you have no space or ports available, then get a USB to SATA adapter (make sure it comes with a power supply for the drive).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

errol _flynn posted:

\My husband got a bit of nasty hate mail about me from an *anonymous* friend who wishes to remain nameless. Is there any way I can find out more about the identity of the anonymous writer? She/he used an email that is a throwaway one. Thanks in advance, Megathread!

Short answer: probably not

Long answer: if you can get the headers from the email, tucked away in there will be an originating IP address. However, it's probably going to point at a google/yahoo server somewhere, not the home location of the sender.

Best spend your time convincing your hubby that it was just a piece of malicious hate mail and you haven't even seen that guy for months, let along do anything with him.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

errol _flynn posted:

What the other person said, but also, if you want to escalate it to a harassment case / if you feel like you're in danger because if it, police can follow down the chain of IPs and find the sender better than you can, unless the sender covered their tracks. Of course that means involving the police, so it would have to be serious enough that you'd be comfortable doing that.

Sorry about your creepy nasty email :(

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

spog posted:

Short answer: probably not

Long answer: if you can get the headers from the email, tucked away in there will be an originating IP address. However, it's probably going to point at a google/yahoo server somewhere, not the home location of the sender.

Best spend your time convincing your hubby that it was just a piece of malicious hate mail and you haven't even seen that guy for months, let along do anything with him.

The writer was female (writing style/thing mentioned points to several females I know, the more I thought about it) and I'm not gay and I don't gently caress around, either, thanks. ;) I should have been more clear about that, I guess.

It's been a lovely time lately, that's for sure.

obviously I fucked it fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 4, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

errol _flynn posted:

The writer was female (writing style/thing mentioned points to several females I know, the more I thought about it) and I'm not gay and I don't gently caress around, either, thanks. ;) I should have been more clear about that, I guess.

It's been a lovely time lately, that's for sure.

Oh that's easy: use the phrase 'insane bitch' and he'll understand.

Sorry to hear of the shittiness. Just remember, karma is a big truck with a half-asleep driver and it will get her.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why does it seem that the more expensive a hotel is per night, the fewer amenities are included in the price? When I was in a USMC band, we'd stay at pretty decent hotels on tour, but they never had free wifi. My wife and I just spent the weekend in a Hyatt in Chicago, and there was no complementary breakfast of any sort. Yet stay in like a Days Inn or something and you get free wifi plus a free hot breakfast.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

bunnielab posted:

I have been buying from [Coastal.com] for years but over the last year they have gotten sketchy to the point of looking for somewhere else.

That's disappointing to hear.

My brother-in-law swears by Costco for contacts.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bunnielab posted:

I have been buying from them for years but over the last year they have gotten sketchy to the point of looking for somewhere else.

Can you elaborate at all on this?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's disappointing to hear.

My brother-in-law swears by Costco for contacts.

I did not know Costco offered contacts. Is it name brands or is there some bizarre Kirkland brand contacts? I may have to look into this since I already have a membership

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Can you elaborate at all on this?

They now seem to drop ship direct from their supplier, about half the time they loving send stuff UPS to my PO box, which doesn't loving work too well. When I tried to contact them to complain I couldn't get a reasonable response. They did it twice and then I gave up. B

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Why does it seem that the more expensive a hotel is per night, the fewer amenities are included in the price? When I was in a USMC band, we'd stay at pretty decent hotels on tour, but they never had free wifi. My wife and I just spent the weekend in a Hyatt in Chicago, and there was no complementary breakfast of any sort. Yet stay in like a Days Inn or something and you get free wifi plus a free hot breakfast.
People who stay in 2* hotels pay for it themselves and compare amenities like wifi, continental breakfast, etc.

People who stay in 4* properties put it on their expense account, and then expense wifi and breakfast separately. As wifi becomes less important (everyone has a hotspot), it is now more often included as a perk, as no one is paying for it anymore.

Additionally, WiFi at a 30 room Best Western is really just a $50/mo cable internet connection split 30 ways. WiFi at a Hyatt with 300 rooms is a whole department of its own.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
This is the label inside an old acoustic guitar (60s or 70s?) and I believe it is Japanese. What does it say?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
So I was reading https://www.xkcd.com/1501 about the weird mysteries.

And I googled one I didn't know.

"lead masks case"

OK, interesting, lets search for another one, uhh

"salish sea feet"

But that came up first when I typed "s" !!!!!!! WTF? (all Salish ...)

So I closed Firefox (I don't login to google or keep non-specific site cookies).

And then I type "s" - and its back to normal. (Southwest Airlines, Sprint, Staples)

So now that google 'pick 4' list is sensitive to prior searches. (But how did it correlate "lead masks case" to "salish sea feet" - because other people search those in succession?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Probably, I know that I and most likely thousands of people googled those in order.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Quite often, a more expensive hotel got hooked up with a technology thing longer ago, and thus what may have been best of the time is pure poo poo now. For example, a lot of high end hotels got an internal DSL setup between the rooms and the actual internet gateway back in the late 90s, and then int he early 2000s got in an 802.11b wifi network to supplement that. Both of those things are horribly slow by modern standards, but the hotel isn't going to go out and fix the issue untilt he things break, basically. And because there's limited capacity they also do want to limit users on it because every room using it could overload it. Meanwhile your generic Motel 8 or whatever probably didn't have any customer internet access until like 2010 or something, so when they go hook stuff up they buy a now pretty decently fast business cable connection or two, put up some cheap but much better wifi routers throughout, and the thing works a whole lot better.

This happens in other cases, for example Romania and amny other Eastern Europe countries had very limited internet access of any kind until not very long ago, so the initial and current rollout of access in much of the country ended up being very fast fiber because it was just as cheap as rolling out DSL or slow cable was in like the US 20 years ago when it was started.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So I was reading https://www.xkcd.com/1501 about the weird mysteries.

And I googled one I didn't know.

"lead masks case"

OK, interesting, lets search for another one, uhh

"salish sea feet"

But that came up first when I typed "s" !!!!!!! WTF? (all Salish ...)

So I closed Firefox (I don't login to google or keep non-specific site cookies).

And then I type "s" - and its back to normal. (Southwest Airlines, Sprint, Staples)

So now that google 'pick 4' list is sensitive to prior searches. (But how did it correlate "lead masks case" to "salish sea feet" - because other people search those in succession?

How the gently caress is the Vonyich manuscript not "weird as hell"?

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

spog posted:

Oh that's easy: use the phrase 'insane bitch' and he'll understand.

Sorry to hear of the shittiness. Just remember, karma is a big truck with a half-asleep driver and it will get her.

He used a similar phrase himself after he read it. ("Jealous bitch" is what he said. See, I recently inherited some money and the knowledge of it just became open in my small home town. The fact I got it was part and parcel to the poison pen letter; it also contains some details that point to my hometown and one of a couple women being the likeliest point of origin for the letter. I have apparently become someone who does not deserve it, etc, etc..The fact that a good and dear friend died sucked enough, hearing about how terrible I was for being an undeserving beneficiary in the letter was really the icing on the grief cake.)

Thanks for the kindness, spog. It means a lot, it really does. *a massive virtual hug to you*

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Bloody hell, people are awful. Hope things look up for you Errol Flynn... If that is your real name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For financial assistant programs am I considered a separate household from my brother if I pay him rent? I pay with a check so I can back up that I do pay him for rent.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Oddball hypothetical for a science fiction piece I’m working on:

Assume a group of people lived in an environment where there are no pathogens of any kind: no viruses or parasites making the rounds, no harmful fungal spores, the microbes in the soil are all benign even if you ingest them, etc. The people are in perfect health and have been “sanitized” to limit how badly they can contaminate the environment, but they carry the usual assortment of gut flora and what-have-you. They’re colonists on a virgin world, and the program intends to limit disease as much as possible.

Based on that scenario, and any other reasonable assumptions you’d want to make, two questions:

First, what diseases and dysfunctions can’t they get rid of, barring even more bio-handwaving? Cancer is presumably still an issue, broken bones and other traumas can induce fevers, and so on.

Second, what effect might this kind of environment have on a human lifespan?

Any other resources - medical literature and so on - would also be great.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Assume a group of people lived in an environment where there are no pathogens of any kind: no viruses or parasites making the rounds, no harmful fungal spores, the microbes in the soil are all benign even if you ingest them, etc. The people are in perfect health and have been “sanitized” to limit how badly they can contaminate the environment, but they carry the usual assortment of gut flora and what-have-you. They’re colonists on a virgin world, and the program intends to limit disease as much as possible.

Based on that scenario, and any other reasonable assumptions you’d want to make, two questions:

First, what diseases and dysfunctions can’t they get rid of, barring even more bio-handwaving? Cancer is presumably still an issue, broken bones and other traumas can induce fevers, and so on.

I feel like the answers you're looking for can be obtained by contacting The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Have they been sanitized from all genetic disorders and what kind of super computer sorted all that?

Traditionally sci fi authors focus on gravity and oxygen, maybe a sun with a weird spectrum but if you were in a "pure" environment the harmless bacteria in poop and whatnot would have free reign to mutate like crazy all over this virgin planet and come back asking for your name and serial number.

Mutation gives rise to variety and on a big enough playing field it's gonna eat your lily livered lunch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

errol _flynn posted:

He used a similar phrase himself after he read it. ("Jealous bitch" is what he said. See, I recently inherited some money and the knowledge of it just became open in my small home town. The fact I got it was part and parcel to the poison pen letter; it also contains some details that point to my hometown and one of a couple women being the likeliest point of origin for the letter. I have apparently become someone who does not deserve it, etc, etc..The fact that a good and dear friend died sucked enough, hearing about how terrible I was for being an undeserving beneficiary in the letter was really the icing on the grief cake.)

Thanks for the kindness, spog. It means a lot, it really does. *a massive virtual hug to you*

I have been obsessively reading detective stories lately and I believe I can crack this case wide open. PM me the names of the no good dames in question and a money order to cover the first bottle of Old Forrester and I will get to work.

Edit: I will at some point make an off color remark about your gams, just roll with it.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Is there a thread for those who work with people with developmental disabilities?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zodijackylite posted:

This is the label inside an old acoustic guitar (60s or 70s?) and I believe it is Japanese. What does it say?

Big stamp says Tenryu according to Google Translate (which has a hand drawing feature for japanese characters!), looks like Tenru Factory is/was a place where Yamaha guitars were made so that makes sense. Can't make out the red stamp enough, apparently the first character means Mountain.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kestral posted:

If there were no "harmful" bacteria or fungal spores, then nothing would ever decompose, because those are one of the major drivers of decomposition. There was a period of time between 350 and 300 million years ago on the Earth where trees had evolved to the point of having lignin in their cell structure, but no mould or bacteria had evolved to take advantage of that as a food source. As a result, 50 million years worth of trees just got buried by sedimentation as opposed to being broken down, and as a result of that, today we have coal. At the time of the tree build up, lots of carbon was taken out of the atmosphere, and oxygen levels were as high as 38%. This is near toxic to humans when we're exposed to it for long periods of time. It also means that you can have flying insects the size of albatrosses, because they can take advantage of better oxygen transfer through their spiracles - insects have an inefficient method of oxygen intake compared to lungs.

That level of oxygen could have also made forest fires utterly devastating compared to even the worst ones we have today. There's evidence in coal measures from Pennsylvania of several-meter-thick fossil charcoal beds, representing forest fires that burnt for months.

Dragonflies the size of kites, centipedes eight feet long and forest fires covering half a continent. Your world sounds fun!

Edit: don't forget the two foot long scorpions.

Memento fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 5, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Q: Is there a widget or website for synchronizing youtube videos for multiple viewers, over the internet?

Leal posted:

For financial assistant programs am I considered a separate household from my brother if I pay him rent? I pay with a check so I can back up that I do pay him for rent.

A photocopy of a lease or sublet agreement will probably be required, along with a rent receipt.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Macys posted:

Q: Is there a widget or website for synchronizing youtube videos for multiple viewers, over the internet?

You can play YouTube videos in Google Hangouts and have everyone watch them at the same time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tiggum posted:

You can play YouTube videos in Google Hangouts and have everyone watch them at the same time.

Is that mobile only? I was thinking desktop to be honest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Macys posted:

Is that mobile only? I was thinking desktop to be honest.

No, you can just use it on the website.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

This is a dumb question but I swear I'm not high. Why don't words seem to rhyme with themselves? Rhyming words have a certain "feel" that is instantly noticeable (cat-shaped hat, pat the cat, etc) but that feel doesn't exist for the word repeated (hat-shaped hat). Why?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Hey errol_flynn, 5 or 6 years I tracked down something similar, it turns out that gmail, and probably other free email services, list the ip of the web client used to send the email in the headers. if you think you might have other emails from the suspects, poke around in the mail headers and try to correlate.

Or you can let it go.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A.Barnum posted:

Is there a thread for those who work with people with developmental disabilities?

Yeah there's a thread about working retail jobs in BFC.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Enourmo posted:

Big stamp says Tenryu according to Google Translate (which has a hand drawing feature for japanese characters!), looks like Tenru Factory is/was a place where Yamaha guitars were made so that makes sense. Can't make out the red stamp enough, apparently the first character means Mountain.

The red stamp is probably a personal mark, perhaps by the guy that built it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

bunnielab posted:

How the gently caress is the Vonyich manuscript not "weird as hell"?

Probably because Randall totally figured out what it was:

:rolleyes:

I also find it moronic he describes D.B.Cooper as "weird as Hell."

A guy wanted money, so he stole a bunch on a plane and bailed out...it was the 1960's, so it was much harder to track someone down. What's so weird about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

To get to your second question, you could go this way and talk about how infectious diseases are not a major determinant of lifespan (lol though, medicine kills millions), and maybe the economics of this world where evolution doesn't exist are very unequal and lifespan is low...

Or just google some combination of infectious diseases and lifespan.

To answer the first, there are diseases of affluence which also cap human lifespan and kill tons of people. If the program wanted to limit these diseases, it would have to be very strict and totalitarian about diet and exercise as well. Genetic disorders are also still a thing, and so are disorders that are actually human adaptations to certain things like malaria (sickle cell anemia) or famine (obesity, diabetes).