Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
GOG is selling Ys Origin, I&II Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana as part of a bundle deal until tomorrow, up to 70% off for all three ($15 total.)

This doesn't include the Ark of Napishtim, but you should buy this (and Ys 6 separately) anyway, if you don't already own them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King of Solomon posted:

GOG is selling Ys Origin, I&II Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana as part of a bundle deal until tomorrow, up to 70% off for all three ($15 total.)

This doesn't include the Ark of Napishtim, but you should buy this (and Ys 6 separately) anyway, if you don't already own them.

Anyone who doesn't already have them should do this. Unfortunately I do.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I think I am nearing the end of disc 1 and I still have no idea how karin's skirt works

mysteries abound in shadow hearts

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Wait, the german translation of sushi was fish sandwich? That... I guess that's sort of technically correct while also being completely wrong.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
This whole conversation reminds me of that fish boss in BO3 where the localization of all the aussie (I think?) talk actually gave you the option to replay the scene with a more literal translation

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

King of Solomon posted:

These are the games where you bump into enemies to attack them, right? I had one for the SNES (although I think I could press a button to swing a sword in that one) but I never got into them. What's so special about them? And the music doesn't count, since I can find that elsewhere.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

This whole conversation reminds me of that fish boss in BO3 where the localization of all the aussie (I think?) talk actually gave you the option to replay the scene with a more literal translation

If that's the scene I'm thinking of, that was in the Japanese original. The dolphin(?) dipped into a thick Osaka Kansai dialect when using its "bad" voice and it gave you the option (or displayed subtitles of, I forget) dialogue in "standard" Japanese.

Never played a localized version, but didn't BOF3 have a lot of weirdness in its translation that made it objectively worse? I remember a lot of people complaining about the desert for example that while dead simple originally, got made much harder due to a translation error.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

LawfulWaffle posted:

These are the games where you bump into enemies to attack them, right? I had one for the SNES (although I think I could press a button to swing a sword in that one) but I never got into them. What's so special about them? And the music doesn't count, since I can find that elsewhere.
You only bump into enemies in I&II, the rest are more traditional hack and slashers. The bumping thing is not as weird as it sounds anyway, it surprisingly works once you use it for a while.

As for why they're special, well I'm going to say gently caress you to your 'no music' thing because the music does rock. The gameplay tends to be very fast paced and quite challenging with plots that are usually pretty barebones/nondescript (in a good way); they're just a lot of fun to play.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Nate RFB posted:

You only bump into enemies in I&II, the rest are more traditional hack and slashers. The bumping thing is not as weird as it sounds anyway, it surprisingly works once you use it for a while.

As for why they're special, well I'm going to say gently caress you to your 'no music' thing because the music does rock. The gameplay tends to be very fast paced and quite challenging with plots that are usually pretty barebones/nondescript (in a good way); they're just a lot of fun to play.

Yeah, I watched the videos on GOG after I posted that a felt kinda simple. $15 for 3ish games isn't a bad buy, and it's a fair price to pay to join the world of Ys fans. Usually anything with a Hardcore Gaming 101 page is worth checking out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, I watched the videos on GOG after I posted that a felt kinda simple. $15 for 3ish games isn't a bad buy, and it's a fair price to pay to join the world of Ys fans. Usually anything with a Hardcore Gaming 101 page is worth checking out.

Keep in mind that Ys 1 and 2 are 80s games. They updated the music and the graphics, but the core game is the same, and I highly recommend grabbing a guide for those two. Ys Origin and Felghana, though, just play them.

And play Hugo on very easy when you get around to him, he sucks.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The correct answer to eating anything in the fridge is "yes", including Nanako's science experiment. Except Nanako's pudding. That would just be mean :colbert:.

A single can of beer, chilled to perfection.

>Drink
Don't drink

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't mind actually playing as Hugo and did my run with him on the default difficulty, he sucks character wise though and is an arrogant prick for most of the game

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't mind actually playing as Hugo and did my run with him on the default difficulty, he sucks character wise though and is an arrogant prick for most of the game

Even on very easy, his story was the only thing that kept me playing. His moveset (for lack of a better word) was just so completely lame.

Which is honestly kinda ironic, because I honestly liked playing as Aisha and Karna more than Adol in their respective games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hugo's kinda ganky to play but his storyline is very cheesy and i enjoy it

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you paid more than $5 for SO4 you hosed up real bad, if you paid $5 or less you still hosed up but not as bad. Wait til you get to the angel girl who talks so slowly she sounds mentally handicapped.

Ys I & II are super good and don't feel nearly as dated as you'd imagine. Some of the bosses are utter fuckers though.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

If that's the scene I'm thinking of, that was in the Japanese original. The dolphin(?) dipped into a thick Osaka Kansai dialect when using its "bad" voice and it gave you the option (or displayed subtitles of, I forget) dialogue in "standard" Japanese.

Never played a localized version, but didn't BOF3 have a lot of weirdness in its translation that made it objectively worse? I remember a lot of people complaining about the desert for example that while dead simple originally, got made much harder due to a translation error.

iirc you got two sets of directions for crossing the desert: When you start and from the notebook when you set up camp. The directions you get when you start are correct but the notebook directions were hosed up and took you to the middle of nowhere and you'd have to retry from the beginning of the desert.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0&feature=youtu.be&t=14

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's none of your beeswax Faize.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

beep boop human interaction beep boop

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

CG Thunderbirds looking good

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

it's always this. ALWAYS. gently caress me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

EDGE
MAVERICK

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RPG thread: When I'm Alone, I Feel so Lonely

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Can we change the thread title to RPG thread: Nappy Time with Edge and Lymle?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

256 Likes
278 Dislikes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mycot posted:

256 Likes
278 Dislikes

Humanity isn't completely irredeemable in their RPG taste.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wakk up onii-chan, its time to save the cosmos

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I have a high tolerance for stupid poo poo in games but even I couldn't make it all the way through that game. I loved 3, that game was dumb in all the right ways, 4 is just sad

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I got to the end of SO4, and then the last cutscene froze my 360 every time until I finally set it to 480p. You have to re-fight the final boss each time this happens. It's an apt metaphor for the disappointment of playing SO4 itself, and the random freezes spared me ever bothering with the idiotically long saveless bonus dungeon.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm gonna start playing So3 and maybe 4 again out of spite. I gotta cut down on my dota to do it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
talking about Star Ocean again must be n-day!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
really hoping for a star ocean trailer at e3 but lmao nevah evah

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Million Ghosts posted:

If you paid more than $5 for SO4 you hosed up real bad, if you paid $5 or less you still hosed up but not as bad. Wait til you get to the angel girl who talks so slowly she sounds mentally handicapped.

Ys I & II are super good and don't feel nearly as dated as you'd imagine. Some of the bosses are utter fuckers though.

I found the collector's edition for $30 in a sale bin and bought it blind because I was itching for a JRPG and enjoyed 3's gameplay well enough :shepicide:. (The standard edition was the same price at the time)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
3's twist is more stupid than anything in 4, but it's better to be stupid than annoying.

Cloud3514
May 28, 2015
There's a good Star Ocean game? I kid! But seriously, I've played three of the four and hated all of them. I don't expect good things out of Star Ocean 5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cloud3514 posted:

There's a good Star Ocean game? I kid! But seriously, I've played three of the four and hated all of them. I don't expect good things out of Star Ocean 5.

Which one didn't you play?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Cloud3514 posted:

whichever one you didnt play is incredibly good

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I found the collector's edition for $30 in a sale bin and bought it blind because I was itching for a JRPG and enjoyed 3's gameplay well enough :shepicide:. (The standard edition was the same price at the time)

I bought the game for $17 and I got ripped off. It was worse then Neptunia MK2 (the only Nep-nep game I tried, and that was pretty bad). It would take some massive positive reviews and good response on the forums to get me to buy SO5. SO2 was pretty good, IMO.

I do have to admit that "Edge Maverick" is a great 80's action movie flick name so that's about the only thing I don't mind about the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

In Tales of Hearts R all the people of Dronning speak with a Tohoku dialect which is localized into thick Scottish, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's cool, I paid $12 for it and highly regret not blowing that money on beer and just staring at the wall. At least then images of underage near naked catgirls wouldn't be stuck in my brain.

e: Oh god a new page uhhh... Fayt Leingod is worse than Edge Maverick.