Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I haven't gotten around to reading Orbiter yet, but I know you can't go wrong with Colleen Doran art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Goatmask posted:

I liked the reference to Wanderer above the Sea of Fog

Reference to what? ...oh.

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of Ellis, I recently saw a hardcover collection of both Ocean and Orbiter in one volume, are either or both of those comics good?

They both come out of his near-future SF period, where he was talking about stuff that was ten minutes into the future then, much of which comes off as slightly dated now. Ocean's all right, but Orbiter feels like the first book of something that never quite materialized. Great art on both, though.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Boom! has a 'Recent Hits' sale on Comixology right now. I'm intrigued by Curb Stomp. Any others that are worth checking out?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cithen posted:

Boom! has a 'Recent Hits' sale on Comixology right now. I'm intrigued by Curb Stomp. Any others that are worth checking out?

Clive Barker's Next Testament is awesome. i'd particularly recommend it to anyone who liked Mike Carey's Lucifer, it kinda scratches a similar itch.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Anyone read Providence? I'm a huge Moore fan and I kind of like the way he clearly puts absolutely zero loving effort into anything he does for Avatar.

As it stands.... Yeah, it's a thing that exists and wasn't terrible. Wasn't much of anything else either to be honest. I say "wasn't terrible", I mean the story. The art was, as you'd expect, crap.

I do like how a certain Avatar owned poo poo website has articles about how awesome it is when it's clearly not even worthy of a footnote in Moore's work to date.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I read it and I hope it is building to something but honestly it was nothing. Like nothing. Like I feel like I was duped. And that art was horrible. And the art direction was even worse, some many just empty rooms.

That being said. I think I will pick up the second one...just to see...like if something happens.

Also anyone pick up Material? It's Ales Kot's new Social Justicey thing. I like it, but this one also felt like nothing happened but at least it was pretty and structurally interesting. I have a feeling it is going to be like Trees, just mildly disconnected stories with thematic through lines.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Wicked + The Divine #11 spoilery discussion stuff:

"One part of a two part mystery"

Is this the conclusion of Luci and Laura's story? Or is the start of a new one for Laura? But given what Ananke did will the series focus on someone new now? Gaaahhhh, I need the next issue.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

.Z. posted:

Is this the conclusion of Luci and Laura's story? Or is the start of a new one for Laura? But given what Ananke did will the series focus on someone new now? Gaaahhhh, I need the next issue.

I have no idea, but goddamnit now I super cant wait until the next issue. I'm seeing Gillen and McKelvie do a talk on TW&TD on Sunday, so maybe they'll offer some hints. I'll be sure to report back here.

My first thought was that Laura was going to become the new Ananke, given what she was saying about caring and looking after the gods, and what Annake was saying about being tired in the previous issues. As happy as I was to see Laura get what she wanted (however briefly), I might be one of the few people that was hoping she wouldn't be a good and was never really expecting her to become one. I like her as an outsider, a fan, someone who obsesses and cares and wants a thing, but doesn't understand it. Seemed like there was more of an interesting character arc in that story, and more room for growth. Plus if she's a god then EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER is doomed, which is pretty bleak. Except for Ananke maybey, but she's kind of a bitch.

Persephone is an interesting choice of god too. She is half underworld and half overworld god, so would bridge that divide between the gods nicely. Perhaps that's why Ananke killed her, as she might be uniquely positioned to find out things Ananke would rather stay hidden. Or is she dead? She looked pretty dead, but then again, there was that last panel of narration, so who knows. Perhaps something else is going on here, maybe related to her Persephone powers or a secret 13th god kind of thing?. I wonder if she could be used as some kind of 'double agent'? And i wonder if there are always 13 (or more?) or if this time is an exception?

Arghg! So many questions!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm not going to use spoiler tags since the issue is already out, but I would say that if not always, there is often more than the 12 gods, because Ananke said she has been looking for her. If she didn't know of the possibility, she wouldn't be looking.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

.Z. posted:

I thought it was weird that they'd give Laura/Persephone a panel where she "existed" after what happened - thinking it's time for LUCI AND PERSE'S WACKY FUN TIMES AFTERLIFE ADVENTURES.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
My take on it is that Ananke has just been going around, annointing kids as gods, then killing them to steal their years. Which would explain why she's the only god that's not a teen. Plus in the grand gods-as-artists metaphor, it makes her something like capitalism, just using artists for their value and discarding them once they're about to make problems. It kinda sorta works?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Deathlove posted:

I thought it was weird that they'd give Laura/Persephone a panel where she "existed" after what happened - thinking it's time for LUCI AND PERSE'S WACKY FUN TIMES AFTERLIFE ADVENTURES.

Possibly, but there was that last bit during Laura's transformation:
"Reunited.
Seperated.
Seperate.
Forever."

It sounds like Persephone exists differently from the others. And from Cassandra's transformation, it looked like the other Gods already knew of her, just not who she was pre-transformation. I wonder if Laura's impact on the others and her subsequent death lead to someone ending this isolation.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

ElNarez posted:

My take on it is that Ananke has just been going around, annointing kids as gods, then killing them to steal their years. Which would explain why she's the only god that's not a teen. Plus in the grand gods-as-artists metaphor, it makes her something like capitalism, just using artists for their value and discarding them once they're about to make problems. It kinda sorta works?

That would make sense. The stealing their time thing, anyway. But if that is true, then I wonder why she told Baphomet about it? Also, I wonder if Baph or Inana made it out of that exploding church somehow? We know they can both disappear pretty quickly if they need to and as far as I'm concerned, if you dont see a body, you can't be sure they're dead. I guess we'll have to see what the wheel shows at the beginning of the next issue...

I was only using spoilers because it only came out today, and here's a lot to be spoiled in this issue. But i guess if we're not using them now, then that's fine by me.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Persephone immediately going to the underworld is certainly in line with the legend, especially given Laura's prior obsession with Lucifer.

Frankly, my first reaction is, "oh great, the one character I liked is dead, now what," so if we never see Laura again I'll be pretty pissed off.

Given the cover, they seem to be implying that Ananke was the one who killed the judge?

One of my pet theories is that Ananke isn't actually just helping 12 (13) people bring out their inner god as much as she helps out anyone bring out their inner god. Laura was getting too close to some ugly truths, so might as well make her a god and kill her off so Ananke can stick around longer.

Anyway, if they wanted me to not know what the bloody hell could possibly come next, they succeeded, so good work Gillen et al.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Airboy was a lot of fun.
I'm imagining the artist reading the script page that tells him to depict himself with a massive penis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wicked + Divine :

Oh poo poo.
Awww.
OH poo poo. :stare:

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

trashbuilder posted:

Also anyone pick up Material?

I just got around to reading Material and I am certainly curious as to where it goes. I've never heard of Ales Kot before, but I like his writing.

Also, Wicked + Divine :monocle:. Holy poo poo, that felt like the shortest issue in the world, but left me slightly stunned and wanting more.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Cithen posted:

I just got around to reading Material and I am certainly curious as to where it goes. I've never heard of Ales Kot before, but I like his writing.

Also, Wicked + Divine :monocle:. Holy poo poo, that felt like the shortest issue in the world, but left me slightly stunned and wanting more.

It's interesting you haven't heard of Kot before. He's made some waves in the industry calling people out in twitter regarding various social issues. He's pretty polarizing as a writer as well. I love his book Zero and highly recommend it, and the same goes for his recent run on secret Avengers.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I've only gotten into comics over the past few months, so a lot of things are new to me. I have academic interests in continental philosophy and social activism so to find it in a comic book is pretty novel for me. I'll check out Kot's other work for sure.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Cithen posted:

I've only gotten into comics over the past few months, so a lot of things are new to me. I have academic interests in continental philosophy and social activism so to find it in a comic book is pretty novel for me. I'll check out Kot's other work for sure.

You may want to check out Invisibles by Grant Morrison. It's got some of that plus a lot of magic and madness.

It was a huge book and it still holds a lot for me, but I don't know what it would be like reading it for the first time as an adult.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

krakagar posted:

That would make sense. The stealing their time thing, anyway. But if that is true, then I wonder why she told Baphomet about it? Also, I wonder if Baph or Inana made it out of that exploding church somehow? We know they can both disappear pretty quickly if they need to and as far as I'm concerned, if you dont see a body, you can't be sure they're dead. I guess we'll have to see what the wheel shows at the beginning of the next issue...

I was only using spoilers because it only came out today, and here's a lot to be spoiled in this issue. But i guess if we're not using them now, then that's fine by me.

I think if Baph steals someones time, then she steals Baphs time, she gets all the time. So the idea is to turn him into a temporary ally of sorts.

This also prevents the others from figuring out her scheme and teaming up against her, maybe?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, that's a pretty clever plan, assuming she's able to kill Baphomet. Have him do all the dirty work and then when everyone else is dead, kill him.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Sorry to break up the WicDiv talk but, goddamn it, Airboy was fantastic. Freshest book I've read in a long time. I can't wait to see where they take the concept.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Going back to WicDiv issue 1, it's really cute how A) we're first introduced to Laura with her dressing up as her idea of a god and B) how it ends up containing a lot of the little elements that she'll wear as Persephone (the single mark around only one of her eyes, the flow-y robe, the weird hair, the complex necklace and shoulder straps) while still being an entirely different kind of costume.

It also contains the final scene of the last generation of gods killing themselves. Which is interesting since not only are only four out of the original twelve left (a whole eight god deaths?) but it isn't like they wink out of existence, it's literally a mutual suicide pact sort of thing.

None of which says anything definitive, but hey, more grist for the discussion fires.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Skeematic posted:

It's interesting you haven't heard of Kot before. He's made some waves in the industry calling people out in twitter regarding various social issues. He's pretty polarizing as a writer as well. I love his book Zero and highly recommend it, and the same goes for his recent run on secret Avengers.

had no idea he did Secret Avengers work, awesome. thanks

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

StumblyWumbly posted:

You may want to check out Invisibles by Grant Morrison. It's got some of that plus a lot of magic and madness.

It was a huge book and it still holds a lot for me, but I don't know what it would be like reading it for the first time as an adult.

I read it when I was 20, reread at 27 or so, and then again around 34. It got worse. A lot worse. The first volume is still good but it falls off a cliff early into volume 2. The plot isn't interesting and drags and everything else is trite.

The Filth seemed to get a lot better though.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

TheQat posted:

had no idea he did Secret Avengers work, awesome. thanks

Not a problem, I hope you enjoy it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Goddamn, Autumnlands is a great comic. #6 may have been the best issue yet. Busiek is just unparalleled in fantasy writing, and Dewey/Bellaire are keeping right with him just like Cary Nord did on Conan.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Shitshow posted:

Sorry to break up the WicDiv talk but, goddamn it, Airboy was fantastic. Freshest book I've read in a long time. I can't wait to see where they take the concept.

I was blown away by how good that comic was. I was a little disappointed in the ending cause it seemed obvious, but lets see where this goes

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Goddamnit guys, now I need to get caught up on Wicked and Divine? I read the first trade and really liked it.

Autumnlands really is something else. What an odd book.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

pugnax posted:

Goddamnit guys, now I need to get caught up on Wicked and Divine? I read the first trade and really liked it.

Autumnlands really is something else. What an odd book.

Yeah, now's the time - the second paperback's out on the first, avoid spoilers.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

krakagar posted:

The graphic on the last page implies that one of them made it out alive. And not the one you want. Which was a big surprise to me, I thought the Morrigan was straight up doing her prophesying-to-the-future-dead-of-a-coming-battle thing last issue, what with "Heaven will break your moth's wings on its fiery wheel" before Baphomet had even decided to go after Inanna.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2015

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

I think if Baph steals someones time, then she steals Baphs time, she gets all the time. So the idea is to turn him into a temporary ally of sorts.

This also prevents the others from figuring out her scheme and teaming up against her, maybe?

The thing with this scheme is it still only gets her about 24 years, give or take, and there's 90 between each pantheon. Unless she's creating gods all the time and taking their life. I'm not sure this is what's happening, it seems like a too messy theory.

Also, I was too busy going WTF to pay close attention to the final graphic, I'll check it again when I get back.

Pretty sure we'll be seeing Persephone again though.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

krakagar posted:

If anything, I think this could be an excuse to see Luci and Inanna again, and the reason why the latter died at this point. Doesn't Inanna have a famous mythical durance in the Underworld, too?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Nobby posted:

If anything, I think this could be an excuse to see Luci and Inanna again, and the reason why the latter died at this point. Doesn't Inanna have a famous mythical durance in the Underworld, too?

Yup. As been mentioned, Innan and Persephone both make trips to the underworld. I'm wondering if we get to see where gods go when they die, or even where they come from. I also wonder how this affects their mortal parts.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Shameless posted:

Anyone read Providence? I'm a huge Moore fan and I kind of like the way he clearly puts absolutely zero loving effort into anything he does for Avatar.

As it stands.... Yeah, it's a thing that exists and wasn't terrible. Wasn't much of anything else either to be honest. I say "wasn't terrible", I mean the story. The art was, as you'd expect, crap.

I do like how a certain Avatar owned poo poo website has articles about how awesome it is when it's clearly not even worthy of a footnote in Moore's work to date.

Ok, I think that obviously Neonomicon was a bit of a low-effort job that Moore seemed to just be cranking out for the money, but that doesn't really seem to describe his Crossed mini and especially Providence (so far).

trashbuilder posted:

I read it and I hope it is building to something but honestly it was nothing. Like nothing. Like I feel like I was duped. And that art was horrible. And the art direction was even worse, some many just empty rooms.

That being said. I think I will pick up the second one...just to see...like if something happens.

I thought the art was pretty good, actually. Really heavily locked into that 4-panel stack (with a few exceptions here or there where the panel size doubled or tripled), which definitely served to keep the pacing deliberate. I can't say I agree with you that nothing happened, though-- the issue was really plot-heavy to me, it took me quite a while to read.

I thought it was a great first issue. I have no idea where Moore is taking this story, but I feel like since it's 12 issues, he's going to have plenty of room to tell it without being rushed.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

krakagar posted:

The thing with this scheme is it still only gets her about 24 years, give or take, and there's 90 between each pantheon. Unless she's creating gods all the time and taking their life. I'm not sure this is what's happening, it seems like a too messy theory.

Also, I was too busy going WTF to pay close attention to the final graphic, I'll check it again when I get back.

24 years assuming she's telling the truth about there being a 2 year limit on the Pantheon members. The only way we've seen any of them die so far is by the hand of another member, right?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, that or suicide. I wouldn't be surprised if that was just part of her scheme to convince them to kill themselves to give her more years.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Larsen just posted the cover to Savage Dragon #209 on his facebook, it got a laugh out of me considering how people thought the book was veering into teen sex comedy territory what with all the loving going on in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Airboy was a lot of fun.
I'm imagining the artist reading the script page that tells him to depict himself with a massive penis.

The "yikes" had me in stitches. This was a really great issue. I really enjoyed the dialogue between Robinson and Erik Stephenson, as well he and Hinkle.