Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JeffersonClay posted:

Rather than wasting time with this sloppy dodge, let's assume that you are reasonable and believe that a 15b/s minimum wage would not be good for the poor. So you agree that there must be some point where the minimum wage can be too high, and therefore some point where value is maximized and some point where the negatives overwhelm the positives. So you don't disagree with the graph I made at all. Glad I could illuminate things for you.

This is literally "if we taxed people at 100% they would have no motivation to do further work, while lowering it to 99% will encourage them to work a bit more, therefore increasing revenue. Do you agree with this? Well, then you must accept the Laffer Curve." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is literally "if we taxed people at 100% they would have no motivation to do further work, while lowering it to 99% will encourage them to work a bit more, therefore increasing revenue. Do you agree with this? Well, then you must accept the Laffer Curve." :smug:

Nobody disagrees with that part of the laffer curve. The disagreement is with the assertion that lowering current tax rates would raise revenue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Plenty of people work for no benefit, so no. I do not.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

The Janitor DOES provide economic value. A McDonalds makes more money when the bathrooms and tables are clean than when they are dirty.

Maybe, but this is the problem with all of your arguments. You make a claim with no data to back it up and try to argue it's reality in spite of explanations to the contrary. For instance, what if McDonalds lost revenue by being a poo poo hole is less than the cost of hiring janitors? We don't know that this isn't the case because you've not shown that this is reality. Just because it's plausible does not make it so, for all we know McDonalds has been running their restaurants wrong all along, they could be raking in the big bucks if they decided to fire all the janitors. Businesses are not run at peak efficiency, creating cost models for things like "how much would we save if we fire the janitors" is expensive and sometimes they default to "it seems like the right way".

JeffersonClay posted:

An office is more productive when it is neat than when it is dirty and oppressive.

This is demonstrably untrue, sweatshops can be and are filthy shitholes and their efficiency is through the roof.

JeffersonClay posted:

This isn't a binary choice. Say a McDonalds currently hires 60hr/wk in Janitor services. They know that if they reduce that to 40hr/wk, and end up with a dirtier restaurant, they would stand to lose some money in sales. If a minimum wage hike increases the cost of labor above the value to McDonalds of having a cleaner restaurant, they'll choose to maximize profits by lowering hours. That's how John loses his part-time janitor job.

Again, you create a situation that only makes sense if you believe the minimum wage can only lead to job losses. For instance, your janitor example is perfect, even If the minimum wage increases McDonald's is still probably going to want their toilets clean. Every business has a minimum organization size, McDonald's needs cashiers, cooks, and janitors. If they just start lopping off costly employees when the price gets high they reduce their ability to meet demand, this is why it's not linear, there are many market effects like this that affect employment and wage is definitely not a primary factor.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Plenty of people is not sufficient. We're talking about the population as a whole.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Plenty of people is not sufficient. We're talking about the population as a whole.

the population is plenty of people, sorry that you're confused about the english language

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe, but this is the problem with all of your arguments. You make a claim with no data to back it up and try to argue it's reality in spite of explanations to the contrary. For instance, what if McDonalds lost revenue by being a poo poo hole is less than the cost of hiring janitors? We don't know that this isn't the case because you've not shown that this is reality. Just because it's plausible does not make it so, for all we know McDonalds has been running their restaurants wrong all along, they could be raking in the big bucks if they decided to fire all the janitors. Businesses are not run at peak efficiency, creating cost models for things like "how much would we save if we fire the janitors" is expensive and sometimes they default to "it seems like the right way".

I don't need to prove every organization is maximizing profits right now. I only need to show that's the trend. I'm not going to spend time digging up a citation for something so obvious as "businesses generally attempt to maximize profits".

quote:

This is demonstrably untrue, sweatshops can be and are filthy shitholes and their efficiency is through the roof.
Their per worker efficiency is actually quite low. They make money by having a shitload of employees and paying them very little.

quote:

Again, you create a situation that only makes sense if you believe the minimum wage can only lead to job losses. For instance, your janitor example is perfect, even If the minimum wage increases McDonald's is still probably going to want their toilets clean. Every business has a minimum organization size, McDonald's needs cashiers, cooks, and janitors. If they just start lopping off costly employees when the price gets high they reduce their ability to meet demand, this is why it's not linear, there are many market effects like this that affect employment and wage is definitely not a primary factor.

Is every organization at minimum size right now? No. Therefore cutting staff could be a response to raising the minimum wage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

The suggestion the government can run massive budget deficits indefinitely with no negative consequences is, however.

So you're solution is to keep businesses out of the loop and put more burden on the government to take care of the underemployed? Wouldn't it make sense to shift some of that burden to corporations who have massive profits so that we can free up government budgets for welfare?

I keep forgetting, did you ever figure out why subsidizes exist instead of taking that money and giving it to the people buying goods like you're suggesting?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

So you're solution is to keep businesses out of the loop and put more burden on the government to take care of the underemployed? Wouldn't it make sense to shift some of that burden to corporations who have massive profits so that we can free up government budgets for welfare?

I keep forgetting, did you ever figure out why subsidizes exist instead of taking that money and giving it to the people buying goods like you're suggesting?

You can shift that burden to corporations by taxing the corporations. That would be more likely to produce the outcome you're aiming for.

I can't decipher your second point.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the population is plenty of people, sorry that you're confused about the english language

You're either arguing that all people work for no benefit at all, or you've lost the point of the conversation. You don't understand economics for poo poo, but you can't read for poo poo either, so I'm not sure which is more likely.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

The concept of money having power based on trust is not magical thinking, either.

The suggestion the government can run massive budget deficits indefinitely with no negative consequences is, however.

When you're a top 5 GDP you can! As long as you can meet payments on the debt (without societal collapse) you can run whatever budget deficit you want.

e: Alternatively, please point to the MMT theorist or publication that has argued you can run up infinity debts.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JeffersonClay posted:

Do you have any actual point to what you blather on about? Like I am trying to come to terms with this. Even if there is a point at which the min. wage becomes "not beneficial" the actual point at which that occurs is well above what is really being proposed and to abstract it to "15b/mw" is silly and intellectually dishonest.

JeffersonClay posted:

The concept of money having power based on trust is not magical thinking, either.

Let's try to understand basic statistics and how they work before trying to make broad proscriptions about macroeconomic government financials, eh?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When you're a top 5 GDP you can! As long as you can meet payments on the debt (without societal collapse) you can run whatever budget deficit you want.

e: Alternatively, please point to the MMT theorist or publication that has argued you can run up infinity debts.

Well, GFoxNews said that the WSJ said about something Paul Krugman tweeted,

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 4, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't need to prove every organization is maximizing profits right now. I only need to show that's the trend. I'm not going to spend time digging up a citation for something so obvious as "businesses generally attempt to maximize profits".

"All I have to do is show proof, but I'm not going to"

seriously?

JeffersonClay posted:

Their per worker efficiency is actually quite low. They make money by having a shitload of employees and paying them very little.

So what? McDonald's also has a low worker efficiency, they achieve efficiency through supply chains and process.

JeffersonClay posted:

Is every organization at minimum size right now? No. Therefore cutting staff could be a response to raising the minimum wage.

You literally just contradicted yourself in one post. "Companies are maximizing profits" to "Companies are not maximizing profits" in just a handful of sentences.

If a company can just reduce its organization size they are not maximizing their profits, otherwise they'd reduce their organization size today.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
JC's argument is literally as subtle as "well you can drown in water, so we can all agree that too much water can kill you. Therefore everyone must die of thirst"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JeffersonClay posted:

Evidence based reasoning says the effect is very small:

quote:

Impact on Employment
A concern with raising the minimum wage is that businesses will respond by cutting back on hiring, thereby reducing jobs. My review of the academic evidence suggests that this impact will likely be small.

In the 1990s, groundbreaking work by Card and Krueger (1994, 2000) built a case-study approach to studying minimum wages. These authors relied on comparing adjacent states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania when one state increased the minimum wage. In the past decade, the Card and Krueger approach has been generalized and refined. Dube, Lester, and Reich (2010) considered all adjacent counties straddling state borders for which data were available continuously for the full period between 1990 and 2006, and found no evidence of job losses for high-impact sectors such as restaurants and retail. In follow-up work, Dube, Lester, and Reich (2013) used the same cross-border methodology to study the effect on teens and found no discernible impact on their employment; Dube and Zipperer (2014) confirm these findings using a “synthetic control group approach,” which is a recent innovation in empirical labor economics. Other researchers have obtained similar results. Addison, Blackburn, and Cotti (2009, 2012) found that once they accounted for trends in sectoral employment, there was no evidence of job loss in the retail or restaurant sectors; recent work by Hoffman (2014) finds no evidence of teen job losses using state-level case studies during the 2000s.

To be sure, some studies in the literature do suggest more sizable job losses. These include estimates using the state panel approach pioneered by Neumark and Wascher (1992), as recently discussed in Neumark, Salas, and Wascher (2013). My own view is that this approach is less empirically compelling than the cross-border methodology and other more sophisticated ways of constructing comparison groups that I have used in my own work, as described above and discussed in Allegretto and colleagues (2013). Overall, I believe the best evidence concludes that the net impact of the proposed increase in the real statutory minimum wage would be likely small, and likely too small to be meaningfully different from zero. In addition, there is growing evidence that increased minimum wages reduce job turnover (see Brochu and Green 2013 and Dube, Lester, and Reich 2013). This finding is largely driven by a reduction in vacancies that result from fewer workers leaving jobs and the easier recruitment of workers into higher-paying jobs.

source: http://www.hamiltonproject.org/files/downloads_and_links/state_local_minimum_wage_policy_dube.pdf

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
as this graph clearly shows there's no such thing as fixed costs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Likely to small to be different than zero

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

OMFG he really posted a linear supply and demand graph assuming perfect elasticity and substitutability, holy poo poo

Did I NOT just say Econ 101 shibboleth?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Also lol at talking about the Laffer curve like people just need it explained to them better.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Why would we choose to treat a man with an intellectual disability any differently than a 5 year old child? Is actually a really insulting question.

Things men with intellectual disabilities should be able to do that 5 year olds should not:
Get a Job
Get Married
Have Sex
Choose where to live, what to eat, and how to spend their time

so, you think that a man with a disability should be able to do everything anyone else can do

except earn the same amount of money.

Your entire argument is that they are social equals, but deserve lesser compensation. Separate, but equal, but not really. This sounds so super familiar I dont think it was your idea. Also why dont kids deserve money if they want to work? You blathered on about rights like those are absolutes, rights are granted by law just like the minimum wage, so what is your justification strictly on the grounds of compensation?

Dont try to give some "wah wah think of the insult so condescending" bullshit either, theres nothing socially sensitive about loving over the mentally ill with reduced pay so covering your inability to answer this simple question with concern trolling is a bit transparent. You suggested that a man with downs should get HALF the pay of someone without it. Well what job is Timmy The Slow working that he isnt as good as his counterparts? Because lets make a short list of jobs that Timmy is qualified for:

Jet pilot? mmmmmmmmmm no
Dentist? UUUUUUhhhhh sorryyyyyyyy
Janitorial? DING DING DING

So of the vast pool of candidates qualified to make twice what Timmy the not so bright makes in the custodial sciences what skills do they posses that Timmy does not? Extra mop dexterity?

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 4, 2015

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Of course, the issue is that the US dollar is like no other currency in the world, so in that sense it is very much based on power and ultimately the US probably can run up continuous deficits for a while. If anything the disunity of the Eurozone, stagnation in Japan and Chinese growth dropping has stabilized USD dominance

Also, I wish there were more interesting topic to discuss than MMT (which I don't think it is right on its own, but is an interesting thought experiment).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I think it stands to reason that if you only deserve to be paid half of what a job normally pays you may not actually be qualified for the job in the first place.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Liberals would have you believe it was health codes that reduced the rate of food-borne illness, but actually it was only because we finally lowered the minimum wage enough to make cleaning a restaurant economically viable.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

archangelwar posted:

Hope (s)he takes after her mother :P

Good luck!

We agree on something!

wateroverfire posted:

Congrats. =) Is the little person going to be ghjk32 or asdf33?

If genetic mutation gives the child any creativity whatsoever it will be neither.

Re:Janitors

Janitors provide value. I don't know why this discussion is necessary. Businesses hire a worker when they think they'll make more money than the worker costs. It doesn't matter what the worker does, that's why they get hired.

Can someone clue me in as to what else is actually being argued right now? I'm not understanding.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

asdf32 posted:

Businesses hire a worker when they think they'll make more money than the worker costs.

God it's almost like I read a whole bunch of arguments earlier about how this isn't an accurate description of the way reality works, if only I could remember where

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I thought businesses hire people because they need jobs done. I'm going to hire a cashier because without someone to ring up sales, my income is zero.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

asdf32 posted:

Can someone clue me in as to what else is actually being argued right now? I'm not understanding.

the only real "argument" happening is that one idiot defending his chart for 20 pages

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

God it's almost like I read a whole bunch of arguments earlier about how this isn't an accurate description of the way reality works, if only I could remember where

Maybe I missed that. It sounds wrong.

down with slavery posted:

the only real "argument" happening is that one idiot defending his chart for 20 pages

The 3 pieces of information everyone agrees with in threatening visual form.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

asdf32 posted:

The 3 pieces of information everyone agrees with in threatening visual form.

Alongside 10000 pieces of information that are highly contested

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

down with slavery posted:

The real argument is actually 5 pages. It's only 20 pages if you forget to adjust for inflation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

asdf32 posted:

Janitors provide value. I don't know why this discussion is necessary. Businesses hire a worker when they think they'll make more money than the worker costs. It doesn't matter what the worker does, that's why they get hired.

It's necessary because this entire idea that every worker adds some fixed dollar per hour value to a company is absurd and simplistic. Some jobs simply have to get done, and companies would be forced to pay any amount to get that work done or else shut their doors. A retail store can't function without people to unload trucks and stock shelves. Those are low skill, generally low paying jobs, but you can't easily measure their value because stores literally cannot operate if that work isn't done. Wages for jobs like that are largely dictated by labor market conditions, not some silly value per hour metric.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

It's necessary because this entire idea that every worker adds some fixed dollar per hour value to a company is absurd and simplistic. Some jobs simply have to get done, and companies would be forced to pay any amount to get that work done or else shut their doors. A retail store can't function without people to unload trucks and stock shelves. Those are low skill, generally low paying jobs, but you can't easily measure their value because stores literally cannot operate if that work isn't done. Wages for jobs like that are largely dictated by labor market conditions, not some silly value per hour metric.

Nothing here contradicts what I said.

I think different types of value are confusing you. Nobody pays what things are "worth" in a market economy. You pay the same for water whether you're thirsty or not. What something is "worth" in an abstract sense to you or in terms of profit to a business is related to but seperate from what's it's worth (price) via supply and demand in the market.

In any case a business only hires an employee when they will make more money than the employee costs (and if the employee is cheaper than any alternative). No they can't measure this exactly, but it sure as hell is the idea.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Without shelf stockers the business makes zero money, soooooooooooooo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

I think different types of value are confusing you. Nobody pays what things are "worth" in a market economy. You pay the same for water whether you're thirsty or not. What something is "worth" in an abstract sense to you or in terms of profit to a business is related to but seperate from what's it's worth (price) via supply and demand in the market.

You and I are unable to determine the exact value (in terms of profit) that a business receives from having a janitor. JeffersonClay can, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What are these stores that can bring in money just fine without cashiers and stockboys and delivery guys and cooks and servers who only employ them now because they bring in just a bit extra on top of the fortunes the business would make without them.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

asdf32 posted:

Actually it does, people like managers and janitors don't really exist because they make the company money, it's so the business can exist. It might seem silly but this is basic accounting 101 you can go read about it if you'd like.

ElCondemn posted:

"All I have to do is show proof, but I'm not going to"

seriously?

Yes, considering the claim that businesses like to make money is incredibly obvious to people with working braincells.

tsa fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 5, 2015

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
What about charities, philanthropic businesses and collectives? :smug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

asdf32 posted:

You pay the same for water whether you're thirsty or not.
You are clearly not a very good businessman.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

Haha, what, this is a thing, that happens.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Of course, the issue is that the US dollar is like no other currency in the world, so in that sense it is very much based on power and ultimately the US probably can run up continuous deficits for a while. If anything the disunity of the Eurozone, stagnation in Japan and Chinese growth dropping has stabilized USD dominance

Also, I wish there were more interesting topic to discuss than MMT (which I don't think it is right on its own, but is an interesting thought experiment).

Short-term we actually should be running large deficits to finance infrastructure, which would encourage growth etc etc etc... and make raising the min. wage even more important. Mid to long term, we do need to consider ways to tackle entitlement spending, health care costs and overall debt maintenance. The problem is a lot of policy makers don't really understand macroeconomics.

A quick hand litmus test for whether someone should be trusted with making economic policy for your federal government is if the words "like your own checkbook, the government shouldn't spend more than it takes in" then you basically should discount anything else they utter.

Making a major investment in our aging infrastructure would, long -term, have more of an effect than raising the min. wage on the overall health of the economy.

asdf32 posted:

I see someone's never been to Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

its kind of endearing to see opponents of minimum wage hikes talking about magical thinking in the same thread where they express the earnest belief that jobs are permeated with measurable amounts of Worth Particles that establish the objective value of the employment, and that in such a way nature herself has determined the pay scale of janitors

• Locked thread