Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I almost feel like the original generic NPCs work better in Morrowind because it's supposed to be a lonely, alienating experience for the player. You aren't supposed to be able to strike up twenty minute intimate conversations with every swinging dick in the province the moment you step off of the dock. People don't want to be friends with a n'wah.

I suppose the LGNPC stuff works best when it's found in NPCs that aren't native. Imperials and traveling merchants and the like who aren't so xenophobic to other outsiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

giving all the npcs a backstory or different topics is a cool and good idea for a mod, the problem is "everyone talks to you about a ton of minutiae" is a bad implementation. there should be people who brush you off, people who don't want to talk to you, or just people without much to say. i tried lgnpc a while ago and removed it because there was just way too much boring backstory dialogue for everyone being shoved in your face.

what the mod needs is good editors who can chop 75% of the content down to eliminate the chaff, but it sounds like the guy in charge is pretty understaffed

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Hog Inspector posted:

giving all the npcs a backstory or different topics is a cool and good idea for a mod, the problem is "everyone talks to you about a ton of minutiae" is a bad implementation. there should be people who brush you off, people who don't want to talk to you, or just people without much to say. i tried lgnpc a while ago and removed it because there was just way too much boring backstory dialogue for everyone being shoved in your face.

what the mod needs is good editors who can chop 75% of the content down to eliminate the chaff, but it sounds like the guy in charge is pretty understaffed

I also sent these criticisms Cyran0's way a couple years back. He agreed about cutting shitloads of clutter dialogue. For example, giving every alchemist separate entries describing every potion and ingredient in the game is tedious bullshit, especially when you have to sift through all that poo poo to get to quest-related dialogue. That poo poo's easy to cut, so it's likely being done.

As for the characters telling their life stories, I pointed out how annoying and unrealistic it is but I have no idea if they'll ever cut that poo poo because giving NPCs character requires more effort (like focusing on the NPC's environment as well), and also holding back information—and I think some of these modders just don't understand how to utilize subtext. You can make an NPC who only communicates in grunts who has more personality than an NPC who (to use and example from LGNPC) says they hate you but will forgive you instantly, for no other reason than you said "please," and do exactly what you want from then on because they must to make the quest go forward.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stuporstar posted:

I also sent these criticisms Cyran0's way a couple years back. He agreed about cutting shitloads of clutter dialogue. For example, giving every alchemist separate entries describing every potion and ingredient in the game is tedious bullshit, especially when you have to sift through all that poo poo to get to quest-related dialogue. That poo poo's easy to cut, so it's likely being done.

As for the characters telling their life stories, I pointed out how annoying and unrealistic it is but I have no idea if they'll ever cut that poo poo because giving NPCs character requires more effort (like focusing on the NPC's environment as well), and also holding back information—and I think some of these modders just don't understand how to utilize subtext. You can make an NPC who only communicates in grunts who has more personality than an NPC who (to use and example from LGNPC) says they hate you but will forgive you instantly, for no other reason than you said "please," and do exactly what you want from then on because they must to make the quest go forward.

I agree with most of this. I could probably do it, as I am a professional writer. Ironically, this kinda precludes me having the time to faff around editing mod dialogue. I imagine that that's the reason most mods end up with the level of storytelling that they do. Good game design doesn't necessarily fall into the same skillset as making believable characters.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I agree with most of this. I could probably do it, as I am a professional writer. Ironically, this kinda precludes me having the time to faff around editing mod dialogue. I imagine that that's the reason most mods end up with the level of storytelling that they do. Good game design doesn't necessarily fall into the same skillset as making believable characters.

I'm not a pro writer yet, but after writing a novel an a bunch of short stories I look back at my own mod dialogue and can see how clunky a ton of it was, even after editing. Sometimes it's clunky due to its utilitarian function. An NPC often has to be direct when telling you, "Go here. Do this." Real people (and well-written characters) are rarely as direct and helpful, because they got their own poo poo to worry about, whereas NPCs are standing around waiting for you to solve all their problems. Making that poo poo sound natural isn't high on a game dev's priorities, especially if cuts down on the "fun" by confusing the player. Forcing the player to think critically about what NPCs are telling or not telling them is complex enough to become its own game mechanic, and it would have to be something the player is expecting going into every conversation. So yeah, way beyond the skill of most modders.

Still, even with the constraints of Morrowind's puppety NPCs, it can be done a hell of a lot better than LGNPC's old standard of spewing their whole life story when asked.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Someone should do a mod which deals with that annoying tendency of a whole lot of people to say "Red Year so it doesn't matter" as soon as Morrowind is discussed.

Perhaps time-gated for a few months after the main quests and Tribunal are done with, people notice that Baan Dar is accelerationg at 1mm/day and the Hortator get a whole ton of mages together and flip the thing upside down so that it's momentum is also inverted.

And when the enchantment keeping it in place fails... well, that's the story of how the Nerevarine impacted Akavir.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

Someone should do a mod which deals with that annoying tendency of a whole lot of people to say "Red Year so it doesn't matter" as soon as Morrowind is discussed.

Perhaps time-gated for a few months after the main quests and Tribunal are done with, people notice that Baan Dar is accelerationg at 1mm/day and the Hortator get a whole ton of mages together and flip the thing upside down so that it's momentum is also inverted.

And when the enchantment keeping it in place fails... well, that's the story of how the Nerevarine impacted Akavir.

but then the event that happens doesn't

chalk it up to chim?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

but then the event that happens doesn't

chalk it up to chim?
to be the honest the idea of a Vvardenfell that simultaneously does and doesn't exist floating around Nirn while the sort-of-ghostly semi-real inhabitants shout rude words at every other race in the world sounds like something that would suit the Dunmer perfectly

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Long shot here, but I'm looking for the "Multiple Teleport Marking Mod v2.2" that allowed you to mark multiple places and every time you cast the recall spell a menu would come up to select from the different locations. I've been scouring google but it seems the lone link was from the gamespy website which has just recently shut down. Anyone happen to have the files for the mod?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

the last signal... posted:

Long shot here, but I'm looking for the "Multiple Teleport Marking Mod v2.2" that allowed you to mark multiple places and every time you cast the recall spell a menu would come up to select from the different locations. I've been scouring google but it seems the lone link was from the gamespy website which has just recently shut down. Anyone happen to have the files for the mod?

was going to suggest checking mw.modhistory.com or Great House Fliggerty but neither sites seem to be loading for me. if its anywhere modhistory will have it, i hope it's only got temp downtime or just my connection playing up.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Great House Fliggerty/MW Modding History is just as down as the guy himself (he's apparently suffering from a flu).
Should get back on its feet eventually, both of them.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
MW Modding History is back up.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
My brother gave his old gaming laptop to me because he got a better one and I was all "gently caress yeah, with this baby I can finally make Morrowind look like all those pretty pictures :pcgaming: "

So I installed MGSO and put everything on max, and it does look amazing, but it's chugging along at about 10fps. Do I have to reinstall Morrowind and MGSO completely to get new settings or whatever, or can I just run MGE XE again to change stuff? (I'm assuming MGE EXE is what's tanking my FPS most)
Also, how do I find out what settings it will run decently with in the first place?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You can just re-run MGEXE (or the MGSO installer). I've not spent much time dicking around with settings myself much, but the thing most people suggest first is turning off shaders.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Or just turning down the draw distance, to like 10 or less.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Welp, I finally decided to reinstall this and give it a try after several occurrences of "Install -> Mod to hell -> play -> quit after 3 hours".
I installed MGSO3, got everything running at 120fps and even got myself an xpadder profile so I can chill from my couch.

I've played skyrim quite a bit, and managed to stumble my way through Oblivion ONCE; I read the "before I play" wiki entry for this and I have sooooome knowledge about the leveling system and the game itself (I've read more about it than I've played it), but what's the absolulte easy mode for this game with regards to race/abilities? I just want to roam the world, look at the pretty modded landscapes and hit things in the face, not spend a couple hours reading about levelling and then running against a rock to level up acrobatics so I don't gently caress myself over on level ups.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Welp, I finally decided to reinstall this and give it a try after several occurrences of "Install -> Mod to hell -> play -> quit after 3 hours".
I installed MGSO3, got everything running at 120fps and even got myself an xpadder profile so I can chill from my couch.

I've played skyrim quite a bit, and managed to stumble my way through Oblivion ONCE; I read the "before I play" wiki entry for this and I have sooooome knowledge about the leveling system and the game itself (I've read more about it than I've played it), but what's the absolulte easy mode for this game with regards to race/abilities? I just want to roam the world, look at the pretty modded landscapes and hit things in the face, not spend a couple hours reading about levelling and then running against a rock to level up acrobatics so I don't gently caress myself over on level ups.

I don't know why people have written so much about Optimizing Your Character's Leveling - it's entirely unnecessary for both having fun and becoming a god. Just pick something to specialize in and you'll be fine.

e: Most people install a leveling mod (I use GCD), but my first play-through was basically vanilla and I still had tons of fun.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I don't know why people have written so much about Optimizing Your Character's Leveling - it's entirely unnecessary for both having fun and becoming a god. Just pick something to specialize in and you'll be fine.

e: Most people install a leveling mod (I use GCD), but my first play-through was basically vanilla and I still had tons of fun.

In my case it's mostly flashbacks to playing a sneaky character in Oblivion and getting my arse handed to me by daedric-clad bandits when I started leveling non-combat skills. :v:
I kinda forgot that things don't scale in Morrowing, so I should be alright. Cheers.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Enemies do scale in Morrowind, they just scale in a way that isn't completely idiotic and they stop scaling past level 35. You certainly don't need to powerlevel in any case, though.

My only advice for Morrowind is to start with decent Destruction skill. You start with Fire Bite if you choose Destruction as a major or minor and you shouldn't fail at casting it unless you have very low Destruction and you're out of stamina, and it makes the early game a thousand times easier. Plus you can buy Frost Bite very cheap to take care of things that resist fire (i.e. dunmer enemies).

Also don't read up on where anything is. What makes Morrowind the Best Game Ever Made is the world itself and the exploration aspect of it, do NOT spoil that for yourself. Seriously.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Screw destruction, you can get a cheap absorb health spell at one of the first temples you get to and you'll be using mysticism all the time anyways what with all the teleporting and telekinesis. Once you get to the point where you're fighting things with reflect you'll have plenty of options for how to inflict damage. Other great starting tip, its not hard to sidestep ranged attack spells from mage enemies, you can easily just sidestep the mage in the first dungeon until he's out of mana as practice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

Also don't read up on where anything is. What makes Morrowind the Best Game Ever Made is the world itself and the exploration aspect of it, do NOT spoil that for yourself. Seriously.

And use the paper map to navigate. Most of the major things you'll have trouble finding are on the map (unlike Oblivion/Skyrim's pointless paper maps) and there's some cool secrets if you pay attention.

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
So here's a question: Since I'm a nerd, I've taken the time to frame and hang the maps from several RPGs around my house. But my Morrowind map went missing before I embarked on that project.

How would I go about purchasing a new copy of the coolest (and most useful) map to ever come with a game? I've tried cruising eBay without much luck--the few I've spotted are just half-assed versions that someone reprinted from a blurry scan.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Rather than just trying to get the map off of eBay you might have better luck just finding a copy of the game with all the extras intact. Once I got an Xbox copy of Morrowind off of eBay with the map included for pretty cheap.

The Elder Scrolls Anthology has dropped a lot in price recently and also comes with maps but they're smaller and overall not as cool as the ones that came with the individual games themselves.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

As long as you pick a weapon and an armor skill you would have to be doing something very very wrong to not reach demi god status by level 20.

My best advice is don't pick magic skills, mana sucks butt in Morrowind. Pick enchant and have a thousand and one benefits over any magic skill with almost no draw back.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
You could also use UESP's complete map. On your phone, tablet, or on another screen while playing. I don't have a paper map and I've gotten on fine using that. When I use a map at all.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Made a character, found Fargoth's stash, decided to walk to Balmora.
Saw a cave, went "oooooooh", ended up murdering a bunch of people and freeing some slaves.

Yep, sounds like TES alright. :v:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

kazr posted:

As long as you pick a weapon and an armor skill you would have to be doing something very very wrong to not reach demi god status by level 20.

My best advice is don't pick magic skills, mana sucks butt in Morrowind. Pick enchant and have a thousand and one benefits over any magic skill with almost no draw back.

It works well with the Atronach sign.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Crossposting from the wrong thread,

Is there any convenient way kicking around that lets me adjust skill gain rates in Morrowind without having to actually make a mod? Could stand to tweak a handful of things.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Is there any convenient way kicking around that lets me adjust skill gain rates in Morrowind without having to actually make a mod? Could stand to tweak a handful of things.

bad news son, time to fire up the cs. Good news is that it's incredibly easy

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

And on this note anyone know a good mod that increases skill leveling time?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kazr posted:

bad news son, time to fire up the cs. Good news is that it's incredibly easy

Ah well, guess I'll get that done at some point. I know how it all works, I've messed with it before, just can't really be arsed with it at the moment. Thanks for the info though :)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Made a character, found Fargoth's stash, decided to walk to Balmora.
Saw a cave, went "oooooooh", ended up murdering a bunch of people and freeing some slaves.

Yep, sounds like TES alright. :v:

You're doing Vivec's work. Almsivi forever. Now go do the pilgrimage.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just thought I'd write an update on OpenMW here. Note that I'm not affiliated with the team, I just follow the project pretty closely.

They recently switched 3D engines from Ogre to a newer, more modern one called OpenSceneGraph. This has massively improved performance, fixed scores of bugs that were unfixible like (new engine on the left, ogre on the right) non-uniform scaling, texture and lighting problems and other limitations inherited from Ogre and has pushed the OpenMW project closer than ever before to being a total replacement for the original game executable. OSG is far more scalable and efficient and comes with very useful performance profiling tools which has already revealed a whole host of bottlenecks that could be eliminated for better performance.

Distant land, water shaders and fancy shadow effects haven't been ported and the current Windows build has Z fighting issues. The OSG port was only made playable a few days ago, still, it's worth a go, I've been running around Balmora and everything seems to work just fine: Download here and full article here.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 9, 2015

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Been a while, but maybe I'll get a reply this time; I have an issue with MGE XE where distant land doesn't get generated properly on landmasses outside the main Morrowind area (so anything that's not Solstheim or Vvardenfel, basically.) Static objects like rocks, trees, and buildings pop up fine, but they'll float in midair while the land beneath them fails to show properly. This applies to Tamriel Rebuilt as well as anything that adds land outside Morrowind proper.

Any ideas?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That sounds like a mod you have checked might interfere with the landmasses, it's really the only thing I can think of. Try generating with only the base 3 esms and TR esms. Because technically it shouldn't have any issues with those, TR is set up the exact same way as Bloodmoon, for example.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SwissCM posted:

Just thought I'd write an update on OpenMW here. Note that I'm not affiliated with the team, I just follow the project pretty closely.

They recently switched 3D engines from Ogre to a newer, more modern one called OpenSceneGraph. This has massively improved performance, fixed scores of bugs that were unfixible like (new engine on the left, ogre on the right) non-uniform scaling, texture and lighting problems and other limitations inherited from Ogre and has pushed the OpenMW project closer than ever before to being a total replacement for the original game executable. OSG is far more scalable and efficient and comes with very useful performance profiling tools which has already revealed a whole host of bottlenecks that could be eliminated for better performance.

Distant land, water shaders and fancy shadow effects haven't been ported and the current Windows build has Z fighting issues. The OSG port was only made playable a few days ago, still, it's worth a go, I've been running around Balmora and everything seems to work just fine: Download here and full article here.

When OpenMW hits 1.0, it might be the best thing for video game modding in a long, long time. Having a stable game with the possibility of improving the combat system/physics/et el and not having to hack the executable to poo poo is going to be a great thing.

Erwin the German posted:

Been a while, but maybe I'll get a reply this time; I have an issue with MGE XE where distant land doesn't get generated properly on landmasses outside the main Morrowind area (so anything that's not Solstheim or Vvardenfel, basically.) Static objects like rocks, trees, and buildings pop up fine, but they'll float in midair while the land beneath them fails to show properly. This applies to Tamriel Rebuilt as well as anything that adds land outside Morrowind proper.

Any ideas?

Post your MGE-XE distant land settings, specifically the ESP ones.

Also, did you run BSAREG in the Data Files folder?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I did actually (for once) make headway with this issue - I realized, checking through my main Morrowind directory, that I still have the original MGE installed. So I generated distant land on that using my INI file as a reference, and lo and behold, all the land is showing now.

What this tells me, though, is that MGE is likely interfering somehow with the XE version. Should I get rid of it? (I should note I'm not exactly an expert at fiddling with this kind of stuff, so small words and no sudden shiny objects, please.)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yes, you don't need both. MGEXE is a superior version of MGE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kazr posted:

And on this note anyone know a good mod that increases skill leveling time?

From the first page BTB, Super Adventurers, GCD and MADD leveler all have compenents that affect leveling, you could try digging around in those to get want you want. Don't know of one that straight up just makes it take longer, but Super Adventurers has pretty good documentation on what changes it makes and how to tweak those yourself, so would probably be the easiest to reverse engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Hello! I hope you guys can help me out with issues I'm having with Morrowind. I've installed it on my PC and installed the current edition of MGO, and for whatever reason, the game won't run above 10 FPS in exteriors. I've done all of the tweaks in the OP, but the game is still basically unplayable. Here's the relevant PC specs:

GPU: MSI R9 270X 2G ITX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell Quad Core
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (16 GB)

Is there anything I can do to make the game playable?