Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zore posted:

Beta 15 of Long War is just harder in a lot of really stupid ways they could have easily figured out if they ever mathed it out.

As it stands, your troops lost a ton of aim while aliens only lost 2-3 defense on average (only Outsiders and Thin Men lost more). The good aim items don't stack any more. Drop in aliens drop in cover. Repair makes everything way the gently caress more expensive since most things got less than 2 repairs of cost removed, and its the same bullshit that only punishes you when you gently caress up or don't completely dominate a mission. MECs have had their costs decreased in every iteration and they're still ridiculously expensive sinks that can't tank worth a drat.

And randomized bomb node placement is such an absolute 'gently caress you' considering what maps are still in the bomb disposal pool.

Also the air game cap is absurdly high still.

Its just a mess that feels like its lost a lot of identity in pursuit of 'difficulty'. I know I sure as hell won't be checking out their original game, I can't imagine what they'd do if they weren't as constrained by the limited modding tools as they are.

I pretty much quit with b15.

I loved the work those guys did but they got on some Ramsay Bolton sadistic streak where they just wanted to make poo poo harder and harder for no real reason.

b14 brutal ironman was hard as gently caress. Just bone crushingly difficult. There were some things that honestly needed nerfs (aliens, not XCOM) and they just went the other direction and made poo poo stupidly hard.

One big change that had me scratching my head was the bleed out timer. Why? Respirator sucks, so just buff it, but randomizing the bleedout timer was just one of those nerfs that doesn't make sense from a gameplay standpoint. I mean if you want a hyper realism mod, just have XCOM soldiers die in one shot anytime they get hit or something.

I poke my head out every so often to see if b15 got any better but your post confirms that its still lovely.

Sorry JL - donated to you guys and y'all did an amazing job, but somewhere you guys got off track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Fanzay posted:

Beagle has stated multiple times that he reads this thread.

He also posts in it. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've beaten the starting mission of Impossible once and team wiped about 5 times now. I don't remember being this bad. I keep trying to move my squad in positions so I can flank a patrol with some soldiers, but all that ends up happening is the group I trigger runs in the opposite direction of my ambush and spam overwatch, refusing to budge. Then I relocate to try and flank their new position only to stumble upon the remaining aliens, and then all 8 sectoids realize they can just man up and outgun me :saddowns:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That's how I feel about Long War too. It was neat at first but it suffers from severe bloat now plus they just seem to be stuck in this perpetual cycle of 'is it useful/good? nerf it into the ground. no fun allowed.' Sad, honestly. :(

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Geight posted:

Goons :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh my god I'm so happy. :syoon:

i loving told you that you did good work

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vib Rib posted:

Is 15 the one that totally retooled the MECs to be a lot weaker and less tanky? What are the good points of 15?
15 wasn't the one that added randomized map starts, right?

Which version is the good version? I just want a capped air game but it looks like that doesn't show up till 15 and I'm still not sure you can lower the cap to something reasonable. :sigh:

15's good points are mostly that they expanded Nationalities a ton, added a bunch of variable quality voices to the pool, gave officers the really cool 'command' ability, at least gave a theoretical cap to the air game and in general gave a lot of QoL stuff. Like a mod that shows you how many of each class you have, what position people will be in on the ground when you're setting your squad up etc. I guess they also combine Ranger and Gunslinger (finafuckingly).

On the other hand, it nerfed the gently caress out of MECs, flamethrowers especially. Also your aim (but not the aliens, nor their defense). Has drop ins drop into cover. Made the 'light' 'moderate' 'heavy' indicators worthless because the range overlaps a ton and there are more aliens in general. Most aliens got a Will boost. The DLC missions got stupidly hard and activate really early. Chryssalid mission now has Thin Men/Seekers. SHIVs are even more hilariously irrelevant, now worse than they were in EU let alone EW (I remember when Long War was pitched as finally making SHIVs worthwhile...). Resources are a hell of a lot tighter, to the point skipping weapon tiers is pretty necessary which pretty much means going Ballistic->Gauss->Plasma since Gauss locks a ton of great tech (Proxy mine, Recoiless rifle, etc.) while Lasers/Pulse only lock MEC Electropulse behind them and they're more expensive overall.

Also the repair system is super idiotic in how its implemented. And giving someone tier 1 Psi powers is now a flat +24 hrs to fatigue because they don't want people to 'dip' while all the good poo poo was moved to tier 2. Also MECs get a fatigue increase because gently caress you, that's why. Also randomized hidden bleedout timer, randomized bomb nodes and....

Like I seriously cannot overstate the fact your soldiers lost 10+ aim across the board, and lost the ability to stack +aim items while the aliens (with two exceptions) got +/- 2 or 3 to their defenses. Goliaths literally cannot hit Heavy Floaters if there is more than one XCOM agent in view because of their insane innate defense+flight+tac sense+drat good ground which means even a max stat stacked sniper is flipping a coin. Its absolutely ridiculous.

And the loving DLC missions get their own special super units now. Like the 'Reaver Lord' Floaters who has basically every perk and 30 health. On Normal.

Seriously, there's a ton of absolutely awful poo poo in Beta 15. A bunch you can't even ini tweak. Stick with 14i, or go back to vanilla like I have.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 5, 2015

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Geight posted:

Now that. That I didn't know.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm telling you boys, Xcom: the Occult. I can feeling it my whatever you feel feelings from.

The testicles, right.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

quote:

LW stuff

Yeah that sounds loving horrible

I had a huge .ini edit that I posted here like 6 months ago that was targetted at a lot of the stupid poo poo like the massive fatigue penalties for training your troops, but I don't even want to bother with all that other poo poo in there.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fanzay posted:

Now that. That I didn't know.

He is called Beagle. His Avatar is a beagle.
The gently caress dude.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Michaellaneous posted:

He is called Beagle. His Avatar is a beagle.
The gently caress dude.

I haven't seen him post, calm your tits

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh my god I'm so happy. :syoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo3kC6EdG-s

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zore posted:

15's good points are mostly that they expanded Nationalities a ton, added a bunch of variable quality voices to the pool, gave officers the really cool 'command' ability, at least gave a theoretical cap to the air game and in general gave a lot of QoL stuff. Like a mod that shows you how many of each class you have, what position people will be in on the ground when you're setting your squad up etc. I guess they also combine Ranger and Gunslinger (finafuckingly).

On the other hand, it nerfed the gently caress out of MECs, flamethrowers especially. Also your aim (but not the aliens, nor their defense). Has drop ins drop into cover. Made the 'light' 'moderate' 'heavy' indicators worthless because the range overlaps a ton and there are more aliens in general. Most aliens got a Will boost. The DLC missions got stupidly hard and activate really early. Chryssalid mission now has Thin Men/Seekers. SHIVs are even more hilariously irrelevant, now worse than they were in EU let alone EW (I remember when Long War was pitched as finally making SHIVs worthwhile...). Resources are a hell of a lot tighter, to the point skipping weapon tiers is pretty necessary which pretty much means going Ballistic->Gauss->Plasma since Gauss locks a ton of great tech (Proxy mine, Recoiless rifle, etc.) while Lasers/Pulse only lock MEC Electropulse behind them and they're more expensive overall.

Also the repair system is super idiotic in how its implemented. And giving someone tier 1 Psi powers is now a flat +24 hrs to fatigue because they don't want people to 'dip' while all the good poo poo was moved to tier 2. Also MECs get a fatigue increase because gently caress you, that's why. Also randomized hidden bleedout timer, randomized bomb nodes and....

Like I seriously cannot overstate the fact your soldiers lost 10+ aim across the board, and lost the ability to stack +aim items while the aliens (with two exceptions) got +/- 2 or 3 to their defenses. Goliaths literally cannot hit Heavy Floaters if there is more than one XCOM agent in view because of their insane innate defense+flight+tac sense+drat good ground which means even a max stat stacked sniper is flipping a coin. Its absolutely ridiculous.

And the loving DLC missions get their own special super units now. Like the 'Reaver Lord' Floaters who has basically every perk and 30 health. On Normal.

Seriously, there's a ton of absolutely awful poo poo in Beta 15. A bunch you can't even ini tweak. Stick with 14i, or go back to vanilla like I have.

Welp. I has half tempted to maybe try out Long War. Not even remotely interested any more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The thing I honestly can't forgive Long War for is the SHIVs though.

They're super fragile, have way worse aim than vanilla, can be customized with some mediocre perks and literally lost the amazing perk from Vanilla which gave them infinite regen/CCS and made them worth taking on missions.

Like, how the gently caress do you nerf SHIVs of all things? They were barely worth taking in Vanilla with good aim/CCS/infinite regen and now they're demonstrably worse in literally every way (especially since early game enemies can one-shot basic SHIVs on Normal, let alone impossible) and the only change they've had in six months is... nerfing Hover SHIVs because a single guy said they were good at the end of the game.

Note they are literally one of the last things you can possibly unlock, and super expensive. So obviously we better make sure they're bad on top of that because...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fanzay posted:

I haven't seen him post, calm your tits

Yeah he doesn't post a lot in the thread, I think I've seen him post once since XCOM 2 was announced.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

That crater used to be a town

Isn't that a canyon not a crater? :v:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Zore posted:

The thing I honestly can't forgive Long War for is the SHIVs though.

They're super fragile, have way worse aim than vanilla, can be customized with some mediocre perks and literally lost the amazing perk from Vanilla which gave them infinite regen/CCS and made them worth taking on missions.

Like, how the gently caress do you nerf SHIVs of all things? They were barely worth taking in Vanilla with good aim/CCS/infinite regen and now they're demonstrably worse in literally every way (especially since early game enemies can one-shot basic SHIVs on Normal, let alone impossible) and the only change they've had in six months is... nerfing Hover SHIVs because a single guy said they were good at the end of the game.

Note they are literally one of the last things you can possibly unlock, and super expensive. So obviously we better make sure they're bad on top of that because...

Dunno if you've ever posted any feedback but the mod creators are very defensive.

"Long war is supposed to be hard, I recommend lowering your difficulty"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not really worried about "Putting terrorism in a favorable light" out of this game because it's a game about shooting aliens in an alien takeover future.

This is V, reenvisioned as a Reb Brown straight to VHS action movie.

I doubt we're going to be getting GTA5 "Hey let's put a mandatory interactive torture interrogation scene on an innocent man in because :911: and easy press" poo poo out of this.

I admit I usually TRY to keep civilians out of the line of fire in games where you are busy fighting other more important poo poo. But I inevitably descend into not caring so much just for gameplay clusterfucks with zero connection to moral reasons.

In Prototype, I easily got the achievement for not eating civilians (still snacked on a few by accident just because proximity when going after something else), and I went out of my way to not to giant crater inducing leaps from buildings or going hog wild with car throwing and poo poo. But my civilian kill count spiked from the low teens to hundreds, then thousands because then the game makes you drive giant three lane wide super tanks and civilians are too loving stupid to move their cars out of the way of a tank trying to carefully drive five miles per hour to avoid them while helicopters shoot at you.

gently caress it, full speed ahead. I'm such a loving monster for doing this :jerkbag:

Ernie Muppari posted:

a modern apocalypse where they just went straight up 70s tokusatsu with the aesthetics would be amazing

I'm throwing my wallet at my monitor and all that happened was I had to put my monitor upright again :saddowns:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I totally want Beagle to spray-paint my teeth silver.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
For me, long war is fun until you get Carapace/Lasers. At that point it becomes a super grind. The devs for LW do not understand the difference between difficulty and tedium imo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zore posted:

Long War 15 :stare:
Yeah that sounds awful. I was really looking forward to the new nationality and voice stuff, and the QoL changes seem great, but goddamn I guess I'll stick with 14. You can't even INI tweak enough of that stuff to fix it.
14 does still have the randomized maps, right? At this point that's like the main thing I'm taking LW for over the original.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah that sounds awful. I was really looking forward to the new nationality and voice stuff, and the QoL changes seem great, but goddamn I guess I'll stick with 14. You can't even INI tweak enough of that stuff to fix it.
14 does still have the randomized maps, right? At this point that's like the main thing I'm taking LW for over the original.

Yeah, 14 still has multiple randomized spawns.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

you get to set a point where your soldier ends up but the path he/she takes is up to pathfinding. Frozen Synapse iirc lets you set points along a soldiers path, which is basically what I want.

Goddamn, Frozen Synapse is such a good game.

:allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
14 it is, then. A few conveniences and better nations is not worth crippling aim and over-nerfed MECs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm sure I'm far from the only person who spun up the Random Alien Generator for a fresh run to sooth the frustration of XCOM2 not being out RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Sometimes the game taketh away (or gives you a bomb defusal mission before your first council report), sometimes it giveth:

And no, I don't know how the Heavy still has high cover after his own grenade blew up the drink machine he was cowering behind.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

And no, I don't know how the Heavy still has high cover after his own grenade blew up the drink machine he was cowering behind.

Does it matter? You're gonna win the mission!

You're gonna get a code black next mission

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

Alkydere posted:

Welp. I has half tempted to maybe try out Long War. Not even remotely interested any more.

i'm playing version 15e of long war and i'm having a lot of fun! i really like the van doorn voice pack

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What did they add that Long War 14i is 20 Meg, but Long War 15(x) is 70MB?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Boogle posted:

Does it matter? You're gonna win the mission!

You're gonna get a code black next mission

Got one each of the previous two missions. And then had to tell the council to gently caress off when it gave me the aforementioned Bomb Defusal. :v:

I really should have seen if I could have gotten one or two kills with guns for fragments, but I was too happy for a nonsense-free triple kill after the bullshit the game had been putting me through to really care about a handful of fragments.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Drifter posted:

What did they add that Long War 14i is 20 Meg, but Long War 15(x) is 70MB?

I'd assume it's the fuckloads of voices?

Anyway I nerfed a few LW things to my taste but uh, I just hit a landed supply ship and it was like endgame. Before my last poor bastard finally ripped, I had spotted:

Two Mechtoids, both with at least one support Sectoid and Drone
One pack of four Chryssalids
One Cyberdisc
Two groups of regular Sectoids
One group of regular Drones
One group of combined Thin Men and Seekers
One group of just Seekers

:stare: I'm playing LW because I'm a masochist but this is a little intense even for me

e; And yeah randomized bomb disposal poo poo can gently caress right off, I just had one and it was absolutely beyond feasibility, I would have had to sprint every single turn to reach things and it would have meant I aggro'd more and more aliens and ended up dead anyway.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

e; And yeah randomized bomb disposal poo poo can gently caress right off, I just had one and it was absolutely beyond feasibility, I would have had to sprint every single turn to reach things and it would have meant I aggro'd more and more aliens and ended up dead anyway.

The problem for me was Thin Men in the first month. I tried it twice, complete with save scumming. Even when I got to the bomb and defused it I'd end up with the drop-in Thinmen taking out Every. Single. Soldier. with crits through high cover.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Internet Kraken posted:

I've beaten the starting mission of Impossible once and team wiped about 5 times now. I don't remember being this bad. I keep trying to move my squad in positions so I can flank a patrol with some soldiers, but all that ends up happening is the group I trigger runs in the opposite direction of my ambush and spam overwatch, refusing to budge. Then I relocate to try and flank their new position only to stumble upon the remaining aliens, and then all 8 sectoids realize they can just man up and outgun me :saddowns:

My first Impossible mission was Death Street. I laughed, I cried. I cowered behind heavy cover until I could nail 3+ sectoids at a time with one (two) grenade(s).

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fanzay posted:

Beagle has stated multiple times that he reads this thread.

THE LORD GODIMMORTAN JOE READS THIS THREAD, MOTHERFUCKERS

He's down with snake tits.

Vigila Confide! *sprays mouth*

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wait, did b15 have the new air cap? If I revert to b14 will UFOs keep getting infinitely strong? And if so is there any way to prevent this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh good, I finally made it past the first few impossible missions! :buddy:

Oh hey, the third mission is a council escort. :geno:

Oh no, the thin men dodged every overwatch shot and crit my entire squad to death. :smithicide:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

haha beagles "OH gently caress" on that 4 damage pistol shot on the ethereal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And this stuff is why I don't use Long War. There are a few specific parts of it I like and would use as separate, small mods, but there is so much extraneous bullshit that I'm not going to bother.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BenRGamer posted:

Y'know, my dream game would probably be to take XCOM or XCOM 2's combat system and put it in a fantasy setting--potentially based off of D&D 4e because of the similarities--and replace the strategic layer/game concept with building up a fighter's/adventurer's guild through undertaking procedurally generated missions in a procedurally generated story arc.

You and me both, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Someone sell me on the MEC flamethrower in EW. I always take the punch because the bonus movement and I've never really felt like I've wanted a 6/9 damage close range AoE over a 12/18 damage punch.

Vib Rib posted:

I can't believe that "NEW XCOM IS BDU poo poo" discussion even got off the ground

Did the American military start fielding power rangers and I just missed it
Uhh excuse but if you can't tell that XCOM is obviously super milsperg BDU bullshit then you're an idiot. I mean look at it

Can't even tell the difference between it and CoD :rolleyes:

• Locked thread