Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

mlmp08 posted:

The FBI has found that the most effective victim response to being targeted by violent crime is a firearm.

Caveats:

Obviously if you run around with a gun starting poo poo you are overall increasing your risk of becoming a victim.

There's something to be said for the rate of firearm accidents that wound or kill, including kids getting a hold of your gun, that make getting a gun for self defense something to be gravely considered compared to how likely you really are to be victimized in a serious way in the first place.

Carrying a gun increases the risk of ending up in legal trouble if you negligently or ignorantly violate the law by being in the wrong place. Carrying a gun requires certain lifestyle changes, such as when you can be intoxicated and failure to account for that with a gun could be rather dangerous. And so on.

But bottom line the FBI finds that a firearm is the best way to defend against violent crime once it starts.

Note: Offer does not apply if your skin color is anything but white. If your skin color is anything but white, or your religion is anything but Christian (and occasionally Jewish), then you can and will be shot in "self defense," likely by the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SpeedGem posted:

Also, if you're wearing headphones and pull up youre sagging shorts, you gonna die.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...illed-by-police

Yeah, about that...

http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/31772096 posted:

On Aug. 11, Salt Lake police were called to a report of a possible man with a gun near 2100 South and State Street. A witness claimed three men were flashing a gun in the area.

Cruz was in the area and arrived first. He spotted the three men based on the witness description and observed their actions. As they went into a 7-Eleven, 2102 S. State, he called for backup and waited for the trio to walk out, believing that at least one of them was armed, Gill said.

The body camera video from Cruz shows that as he drove his car into the 7-Eleven parking lot, two of the men — Taylor's brother and cousin — immediately stop and put their hands in the air. Taylor holds his head down and keeps walking.

Believing that he had a gun, Cruz follows Taylor with his own gun now drawn. Another officer approaches from the other end of the parking lot.
In the video, Cruz can clearly be heard yelling, "Get your hands up now." The fatal shooting of Taylor sparked outrage from the family and some members of the community who claimed Taylor was shot in the back while walking away from officers and that Taylor couldn't hear them because he was wearing in-ear headphones.

Gill acknowledged that while such earphones were found on Taylor, the investigation was inconclusive as to whether they were in his ears at the time of the shooting. Regardless, Gill said, the video clearly shows that Taylor could see uniformed officers, including Cruz who had his gun drawn, in addition to their police vehicles with the overhead flashing lights turned on. Gill further noted that investigators believe Taylor heard Cruz yell at him because of his response, "No, fool."

As Taylor is facing Cruz, he quickly lifts his shirt while appearing to pull something from his waistband as he continued to walk backwards.

A transcript of Cruz's deposition with the district attorney's office was provided Tuesday. In it, the interviewer notes that Cruz became emotional as he recounted the shooting.

As Taylor continued to walk away from the officer and refused to show his hands, Cruz said, "I was 100 percent, 100 percent convinced when I saw him turn around it was gonna be a gunfight. I knew he had that gun, that he'd be trying to kill us."

The officer told investigators that Taylor wasn't just "pulling up his pants" when he had his hands in his waistband.

But even though Cruz said he thought there was about to be gunfire, he said he "wasn't about to shoot him in the back." By the time Taylor turned around and Cruz was forced to fire his weapon, he thought it was already too late. "I was scared to death. The last thought I had go through my mind when I pulled the trigger, and I'll never forget this … was that I was too late. I was too late. And because of that, I was gonna get killed. Worse, my (partner) was gonna get killed."

Other officers told the district attorney's investigators that they, too, thought Taylor was about to take a gun out of his waistband, and they would have shot if Cruz hadn't.

Remember how we just spent a dozen pages talking about how people can make entirely reasonable assessments of a threat that later turn out to be wrong?

VVV Even if he somehow missed the two cruisers with running lights, he looks at and then verbally responds the officer on the tape, so I'd say we can give the "but he just couldn't hear!" bit a rest

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2015

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

SpeedGem posted:

Also, if you're wearing headphones and pull up youre sagging shorts, you gonna die.

Hey Jarmak & mlmp08 and all the others trying to pull attention away from stuff like this. Do you guys think this was a good shoot? Do you see something like this happening to you? I mean the guy shot was white and listening to music when he was shot dead. The officer isn't being charged.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Remember how we just spent a dozen pages talking about how people can make entirely reasonable assessments of a threat that later turn out to be wrong?
Yeah, alot of it surrounded a guy who escalated a situation into a fatality. Sounds familiar.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

tezcat posted:

Hey Jarmak & mlmp08 and all the others trying to pull attention away from stuff like this. Do you guys think this was a good shoot? Do you see something like this happening to you? I mean the guy shot was white and listening to music when he was shot dead. The officer isn't being charged.

It was a good shoot. Sad, but the guys response to seeing guns pointed at him was to reach into his waistband with one hand, pull his shirt up with the other, and then yank his hand out of his waistband. Tell me what he was doing there didn't look like a stereotypical "gang member draws gun". If you had posted that video without any commentary I would have assumed he did actually have a gun from his motion alone.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

semper wifi posted:

It was a good shoot. Sad, but the guys response to seeing guns pointed at him was to reach into his waistband, pull his shirt up while yanking his other hand out of his waistband. Tell me what he was doing there didn't look like a stereotypical "gang member draws gun". If you had posted that video without any commentary I would have assumed he did actually have a gun from his motion alone.

He showed the cops he wasn't carrying a a gun, the cops assumed he was carrying, cops shot him. Are you daft?

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

semper wifi posted:

Tell me what he was doing there didn't look like a stereotypical "gang member draws gun".

Looks to me like hes showing he doesn't have anything in his waistband and is making his hands visible but haha that would be crazy right?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, about that...

No. I remember a discussion about how trigger happy assholes get to pretend they were scared after the fact and get away with murder.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SpeedGem posted:

He showed the cops he wasn't carrying a a gun, the cops assumed he was carrying, cops shot him. Are you daft?

A Lamer posted:

Looks to me like hes showing he doesn't have anything in his waistband and is making his hands visible but haha that would be crazy right?

Yeah good points guys, you're right. The last time I got pulled over, when the cop got up to my window the first thing I did was lunge for the glovebox so that I could show him I didn't have a gun in there.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Also just to be clear, obviously the cops had no reason to have their guns out in the first place, even if the call they got was legit. But getting mad that they shot a guy who went for his waistband as soon as he noticed he had guns pointed at him is stupid.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

tezcat posted:

mlmp08 and all the others trying to pull attention away from stuff like this. Do you guys think this was a good shoot? Do you see something like this happening to you? I mean the guy shot was white and listening to music when he was shot dead. The officer isn't being charged.

Hey, do you realize my post history is largely about how loving awful the police are and how broken their culture is and how they kill way too many people and how violence in America is totally hosed compared with the rest of the Western world?

My only posts in this godawful thread that seem contrary to that at all were ones about how maybe we shouldn't abandon due process because some likely bad guys got off the hook and how talking about how everyone should have magical abilities against attacks is stupid.

After watching the video, I would really like to think that I would not have shot if I were in that position (It is impossible to know unless you're there). But holy poo poo, when a US cop has his gun on you and is yelling at you to show your hands and your response is to say "Nah, fool" as you turn to face the cop and lift your shirt up, that poo poo is super high risk. We can talk about how that shouldn't be super high risk, but goddamn that is some high risk behavior.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tezcat posted:

Do you guys think this was a good shoot?
Good? No, it would be better if he hadn't been shot. Entirely reasonable? Yeah. They were responding to a firearms call, and one of the three people, when asked to take his hands out of his waistband, responds with "No, fool." The other officers literally testified that they would have shot Taylor if Cruz hadn't.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

semper wifi posted:

Yeah good points guys, you're right. The last time I got pulled over, when the cop got up to my window the first thing I did was lunge for the glovebox so that I could show him I didn't have a gun in there.

Hey idiot actual people do this all the time and aren't immediately murdered.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Police kill teen, now are suspected of deleting video & threatening witnesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaeoJFyVTE&feature=youtu.be

The beat goes on.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If a police officer interprets actions as life threatening, and a reasonable person under the same circumstances would also interpret those actions as life threatening, does it matter that there was no actual threat, just the reasonable interpretation of one?

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If a police officer interprets actions as life threatening, and a reasonable person under the same circumstances would also interpret those actions as life threatening, does it matter that there was no actual threat, just the reasonable interpretation of one?

Might as well make all police officers judge dread. Else a homicide rate in your city will rise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It obviously does not matter if the threat was not actually real.* If a guy rushes a cop and yells "Imma kill some pigs tonight" while firing an assault rifle that's only loaded with blanks and thus isn't a real threat, the cops are still justified in turning him to meatmulch.

*The HUGE caveat is that a lot of people base how "reasonable" fear is on poo poo like classism, racism, stupid myths about who is or isn't dangerous, the assumption that everyone in America has a gun, everyone sees wallets as a gun, sees phones as guns, etc.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

That is a pretty succinct summary of a recent argument in this very thread. My position is that no, the lack of an actual deadly threat is irrelevant if there is the reasonable perception of one. For example, the guy who drew an airsoft pistol with the orange tip removed on two SFPD officers outside a station back in January.

But this is very much relevant as well:

mlmp08 posted:

*The HUGE caveat is that a lot of people base how "reasonable" fear is on poo poo like classism, racism, stupid myths about who is or isn't dangerous, the assumption that everyone in America has a gun, everyone sees wallets as a gun, sees phones as guns, etc.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 5, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Reasonable threat including things like a pearl-clutcher calling 911 and saying "there's a man with a hoody and sagging pants and I'm sure I saw a gun, please get him officer!"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

What are the crime stats in places with restrictive gun laws? Start with Chicago.

I'd look it up myself but the records aren't in a well lit area.

NYC has restrictive gun laws and one of the lowest violent crime rates of any big city in the country.

As for Chicago, it has restrictive gun laws too, and it doesn't have low crime, but it isn't even close to the worst for a big american city. At the same time there are plenty of cities in states with much more relaxed gun laws, that have similar or higher crime rates than Chicago (or NYC, or a multitude of other cities in states with more restrictive gun laws). Houston, Memphis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Miami, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City, for example.

Violent crime rate per 100k residents, as of 2012, for the cities I mentioned:

St. Louis - 1,776.5
Memphis - 1,750.3
Kansas City - 1,263.2
Indianapolis - 1,185.5
Miami - 1,172.0
Houston - 992.5
Tulsa - 990.0
Chicago - 969.2 (plus probably a couple dozen incidents more for rape, which are N/A in the stats, so a total of around 1,000 incidents)
Oklahoma City - 919.1
NYC - 639.3 (which should be one of the worst, along with Chicago, according to your logic, because of their more restrictive gun laws)

source: http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/Crime.cfm

Maybe crime rates have to do with things other than gun laws! It's funny/depressing that you work in the justice system and consider yourself a smart dude, but you don't even know this poo poo, and tried to play the "Chicago has strict gun laws and is so extra scary and dangerous and bad!" card like some dumb loving Fox news reporter. And looking records up really isn't hard. I'm some random dude on a comedy forum, and managed to do it over the internet in 10 minutes.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
I think you and him have the same argument bro

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

semper wifi posted:

I think you and him have the same argument bro

No, not really. Look at his post, and the one he's responding to.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I thought this quote was telling: "I was scared to death. The last thought I had go through my mind when I pulled the trigger, and I'll never forget this … was that I was too late. I was too late. And because of that, I was gonna get killed. Worse, my (partner) was gonna get killed."

That just reminds me of this clip

It's the siege mentality, the assumption that EVERY contact contact with a civilian is immediately a life or death threat. While in that specific case, the mindset is more understandable - but I think the point still stands, the call to 911 said someone was "flashing" a gun, not threatening people or firing it. But that little voice in the officer's head saying that everyone could be a stone cold killer lead him to approach a non-violent situation with a gun drawn and his brain already in firefight mode.

I also find it morbidly funny that people are saying that the person who was shot should have just know exactly what things to do in a situation where you're being threatened at gunpoint. Only one of the people in that shooting was a professional, why is the expectation of perfect behavior on the civilian? The general population shouldn't be expected to know exactly how to behave when faced with being held at gunpoint by police, when this is never taught in public school in official capacity, and popular media often shows behavior that doesn't square with real-life threat assessment policies.

Maybe public schools should have a "here's how not to get shot by police" class. Push that in more affluent, white areas and maybe more widespread awareness of how absolutely hosed policing is would permeate out.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

mlmp08 posted:

If a guy rushes and yells "Imma kill some pigs tonight" while firing an assault rifle that's only loaded with blanks and thus isn't a real threat, the cops are still justified in turning him to meatmulch.

Can't bring my cop friends to the boar hunt :(

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

I also find it morbidly funny that people are saying that the person who was shot should have just know exactly what things to do in a situation where you're being threatened at gunpoint. Only one of the people in that shooting was a professional, why is the expectation of perfect behavior on the civilian? The general population shouldn't be expected to know exactly how to behave when faced with being held at gunpoint by police, when this is never taught in public school in official capacity, and popular media often shows behavior that doesn't square with real-life threat assessment policies.

Anyone who needs to be told to not stick their hands into their waistband as a response to an at-gunpoint "hands up" shouldn't be out in public without a helper.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

semper wifi posted:

Anyone who needs to be told to not stick their hands into their waistband as a response to an at-gunpoint "hands up" shouldn't be out in public without a helper.

If stupidity is all it takes then why are you still alive.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

So cops, many of whom have only 60 hours of community college and a few months at ann academy, are susceptible to biases and prejudices based off their own socio cultural economic background, and that influences how they react in a given situation?

I doubt many people in the world can claim to be better than that, unfortunately. I know I react differently to individuals whom I meet for the first time based off my perception of them, which is by default formed from my knowledge of other members of (what I perceive to be) their race/class/culture. I'm not proud of it, but it's something I think everyone does.

That said, some cops just be murdering folk.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

semper wifi posted:

Hey ace, remember when you were all going on about how Freddie Grey was the really the only person to blame for his execution at the hands of Baltimore PD? This more than confirms that anything besides "falls to the ground, hands open and outstretched" is appropriately threatening enough to deserve being gunned down in your book, you prancing coward.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look, if you don't just immediately fling your hands in the air and collapse to the ground begging not to be murdered, you really deserved to die.

Edit: In all seriousness, when you're in a situation where you're claiming that it's justifiable to kill someone without a weapon just for putting their hands on the wrong part of their body or doing anything that even slightly looks like drawing a gun, you should start considering whether or not you might be the bad guy in a dystopian novel.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 5, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hey ace, remember when you were all going on about how Freddie Grey was the really the only person to blame for his execution at the hands of Baltimore PD? This more than confirms that anything besides "falls to the ground, hands open and outstretched" is appropriately threatening enough to deserve being gunned down in your book, you prancing coward.

Jury's still out on Freddie as far as I'm concerned. Last I remember it turned out that the police actually had no cause to go after him, but nobody actually knows how or why he died. Baltimore DA is trying to block the release of the autopsy though so it probably contains some bad news for the "rough ride" theorists. Also I have really limited sympathy for anyone who fights the police because everyone knows how they operate, if you start fighting or resisting them you already know how it's going to end. It doesn't make the police less bad but it does make it harder to feel bad for you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Look, if you don't just immediately fling your hands in the air and collapse to the ground begging not to be murdered, you really deserved to die.

Edit: In all seriousness, when you're in a situation where you're claiming that it's justifiable to kill someone without a weapon just for putting their hands on the wrong part of their body or doing anything that even slightly looks like drawing a gun, you should start considering whether or not you might be the bad guy in a dystopian novel.

Honestly I read posts like this and it makes me wonder - do you ever watch these videos and put yourself in the cops shoes (or the victims) or do you exclusively monday morning quarterback them?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

semper wifi posted:

Honestly I read posts like this and it makes me wonder - do you ever watch these videos and put yourself in the cops shoes (or the victims) or do you exclusively monday morning quarterback them?

Have you ever actually had a gun pointed at you?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

SpeedGem posted:

Did any of them actually have a gun on them? Either I missed it or it wasn't in the articles.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Rah! posted:

NYC has restrictive gun laws and one of the lowest violent crime rates of any big city in the country.

As for Chicago, it has restrictive gun laws too, and it doesn't have low crime, but it isn't even close to the worst for a big american city. At the same time there are plenty of cities in states with much more relaxed gun laws, that have similar or higher crime rates than Chicago (or NYC, or a multitude of other cities in states with more restrictive gun laws). Houston, Memphis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Miami, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City, for example.

Violent crime rate per 100k residents, as of 2012, for the cities I mentioned:

St. Louis - 1,776.5
Memphis - 1,750.3
Kansas City - 1,263.2
Indianapolis - 1,185.5
Miami - 1,172.0
Houston - 992.5
Tulsa - 990.0
Chicago - 969.2 (plus probably a couple dozen incidents more for rape, which are N/A in the stats, so a total of around 1,000 incidents)
Oklahoma City - 919.1
NYC - 639.3 (which should be one of the worst, along with Chicago, according to your logic, because of their more restrictive gun laws)

source: http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/Crime.cfm

Maybe crime rates have to do with things other than gun laws! It's funny/depressing that you work in the justice system and consider yourself a smart dude, but you don't even know this poo poo, and tried to play the "Chicago has strict gun laws and is so extra scary and dangerous and bad!" card like some dumb loving Fox news reporter. And looking records up really isn't hard. I'm some random dude on a comedy forum, and managed to do it over the internet in 10 minutes.

My point was that gun laws and crime rates are not necessarily linked. Banning guns will not reduce crime, eg Chicago and Newark. Allowing guns won't either. E.g. Cities on that list with permissive gun laws. It's almost like contrary to what either side of the gun debate wants you to believe, crime has more to do with socioeconomic factors. Go figure.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Woozy posted:

Yes. LAPD circa 2001

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SpeedGem posted:

Your country's police and legal system is absolute garbage, wow. Of course there will be endless apologists for this disgusting poo poo.

Completely innocent man minding his own business? Well he didn't react quickly enough to a surprise situation so totes legit! - says DeadReckoning (complete poo poo example of a human being)

You can even tell the murderer was only concerned about covering his own rear end by trying to find anything to make his murder justifiable, but as we can see even the slightest inkling of "something" is enough. Oh yeah and lets not forget that he has a dead innocent man cuffed the whole time. loving sub-human behaviour and Dead Reckoning thinking this is totally acceptable is disgusting.

Oh wow I absolutely love how the other cop that comes up at the end of the vid is only concerned about how the murderer is feeling. Absolutely sickening.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 5, 2015

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ActusRhesus posted:

My point was that gun laws and crime rates are not necessarily linked. Banning guns will not reduce crime, eg Chicago and Newark. Allowing guns won't either. E.g. Cities on that list with permissive gun laws. It's almost like contrary to what either side of the gun debate wants you to believe, crime has more to do with socioeconomic factors. Go figure.

"Crime rates" is the key word here. America is a country that has lawyered its way into saying that shooting people is legal. What might be more interesting to compare is firearm deaths. Certainly, America has a much higher rate of firearm deaths than Australia. State by state is more complicated (if you can buy a gun in New Mexico there isn't much stopping you from taking it to New York) but if you wanted to compare anyway there's a site here: http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/firearms-death-rate-per-100000/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Woozy posted:

I'm willing to bet I've pointed guns at more people than semper fi. The difference is that I made the decision not to pull the trigger on an unarmed person.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The time it takes to even process and react to whats going on when that happens is way longer that anyone gets in this shooting videos. Like the first thing you get warned about in any gun safety/taining program is that you're going to see what you expect to see and not necessarily what is actually there and its just super obvious to anyone being remotely honest that this is whats happening in almost every shooting video posted in this thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Your country's police and legal system is absolute garbage, wow. Of course there will be endless apologists for this disgusting poo poo.

Completely innocent man minding his own business? Well he didn't react quickly enough to a surprise situation so totes legit! - says DeadReckoning (complete poo poo example of a human being)

You can even tell the murderer was only concerned about covering his own rear end by trying to find anything to make his murder justifiable, but as we can see even the slightest inkling of "something" is enough. Oh yeah and lets not forget that he has a dead innocent man cuffed the whole time. loving sub-human behaviour and Dead Reckoning thinking this is totally acceptable is disgusting.

How can this kind of thing happen, it looks like a gang shooting. The guy walks up behind him and just guns him down, it looked like an execution.

Edit: I've got to say, these officer cams really give a sense of presence. It's like watching a first person view of an execution, it's really hard to watch.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look you can't go in after the fact and armchair quarterback a scared man fighting for his life, just because the person he shot had a flashlight or "absolutely nothing".

Now let me tell you how a single misstep or deviation from perfect rationality is all it takes for the victim of a shooting to deserve it.

• Locked thread