Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Duke Igthorn posted:

I never understood why Aunt May was so drat old. I mean she was his Aunt right? Not his grandmas, she should be 30 odd years older than him not 60.

God there was this awesome edit in the Newspaper comics thread of Spider-Man shaking Aunt May because she was going to marry Mole Man and her neck snaps. Hilarious.

As trouble taught us May is his mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you assume that Peter's parents were in their 30s when they had him and that Ben is notably older than his brother, you can push the age gap to 40 without even fiddling with things like May's age difference to Ben.

Although I think that part of the issue is that a lot of comic art doesn't really handle granularity in age very well - people are often shown as either being infants, in their prime, or geriatrics, and the transitions between those are often pretty badly covered. You see the same thing with a character who is supposed to be 12-14. I can imagine that the original idea for a older woman who serves as a comforting home figure just got parsed into 'grandma' in the art, and then it stuck.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well in the first comics and onwards Aunt May was at a level where it seemed that Spider-Man's most terrible foe would be the creeping influence of Alzheimers on his loved one so it stuck pretty well.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia considering that his Spider-Man was what I grew up with, but beyond Sins Past and the 9/11 issue I thought JMS's Spider-Man is by far among the best depiction of the character.

It was one of the best, most of the complaints are continuity bitching about bringing in the totemic stuff like it ruined the run/character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My favorite Aunt May is the one that died in the 90's. I think they should have kept that one around. Just a mummified Aunt May sitting in her favorite chair. That's what really destroyed Peter's marriage. He just wouldn't bury the old bat.

Seriously, where's that What If?

What IF Norman Bates was bitten by a radioactive spider?

Also, who just keeps arsenic lying around? Unless this is the May that knows Peter is Spider-man, and she has it lying around for just such an occasion. And even then, it's cyanide that smells like almonds. Learn your science, comic books from the past.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Also, who just keeps arsenic lying around? Unless this is the May that knows Peter is Spider-man, and she has it lying around for just such an occasion. And even then, it's cyanide that smells like almonds. Learn your science, comic books from the past.

Um, old ladies keeping arsenic around and killing people is a well documented phenomenon

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Seriously he married some of the better aspects of Ultimate May with 616's long-term characterization and managed to make her respectable, strong, and even modern in her way without losing sight of her prior characterization. By contrast that stupid Chameleon page features an Aunt May who stepped right out of the 1950s.

I believe you'll find that Arsenic and Old Lace was from the 40's.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Um, old ladies keeping arsenic around and killing people is a well documented phenomenon

Little known fact: Aunt May was secretly going to poison Uncle Ben but a mugger got to Ben first. She has never told Peter about this.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CzarChasm posted:

If I recall correctly (I could be wrong), the almond taste was actually almonds, and what may hit Chameleon with was actually just a sedative. She was just loving with him, because she's the best.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That makes it even better :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Little known fact: Aunt May was secretly going to poison Uncle Ben but a mugger got to Ben first. She has never told Peter about this.

Or the other guy she was going to marry.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ashcans posted:

If you assume that Peter's parents were in their 30s when they had him and that Ben is notably older than his brother, you can push the age gap to 40 without even fiddling with things like May's age difference to Ben.

Although I think that part of the issue is that a lot of comic art doesn't really handle granularity in age very well - people are often shown as either being infants, in their prime, or geriatrics, and the transitions between those are often pretty badly covered. You see the same thing with a character who is supposed to be 12-14. I can imagine that the original idea for a older woman who serves as a comforting home figure just got parsed into 'grandma' in the art, and then it stuck.

The post Lee/Kirby X-Men are a good example of the art and the writing totally glossing over that the original cast should be about college age. I always thought Scott and Jean were older thirty somethings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe it's nostalgia considering that his Spider-Man was what I grew up with, but beyond Sins Past and the 9/11 issue I thought JMS's Spider-Man is by far among the best depiction of the character.

It's up there. It was certainly pretty shocking to return to comics and read such an emotionally complex Spidey after the last thing I read was Howard Mackie's Spider-man.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Die Laughing posted:

The post Lee/Kirby X-Men are a good example of the art and the writing totally glossing over that the original cast should be about college age. I always thought Scott and Jean were older thirty somethings.

actually if I remember properly most of the original X-Men besides Jean and Beast were supposed to be approximately 16 or so during issue 1(with Jean being 15 and Beast being 17 or 18), something to remember is that Marvel Time was a lot closer to Real Time in those days so everyone's ages didn't freeze into their current ones for a long time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

drrockso20 posted:

actually if I remember properly most of the original X-Men besides Jean and Beast were supposed to be approximately 16 or so during issue 1(with Jean being 15 and Beast being 17 or 18), something to remember is that Marvel Time was a lot closer to Real Time in those days so everyone's ages didn't freeze into their current ones for a long time

You're slightly out. Iceman was the baby of the group at 16, and the others were meant to be high school seniors (with Beast maybe a year or two ahead).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Chaos Hippy posted:

If I recall correctly (I could be wrong), the almond taste was actually almonds, and what may hit Chameleon with was actually just a sedative. She was just loving with him, because she's the best.

Although, pedant that I am, I have to say that the poison that tastes like almonds is cyanide, not arsenic. But I don't blame May for not knowing that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well, he tried.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Although, pedant that I am, I have to say that the poison that tastes like almonds is cyanide, not arsenic. But I don't blame May for not knowing that.

I think she knows and is just sticking it to the theater major.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

From today's Mighty Avengers which happens during the last incursion as the Marvel universe comes to an end.

:unsmith:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Either I'm missing some context or someone hosed up. Who is saying "hey" in that second panel? Luke Cage is hanging out in the background.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That last panel makes it look like they're in the midst of the Helping Hands from Labyrinth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUeK7nYxBQ

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
The last few pages from that issue of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers are some of the best stuff I've seen from comics published since I started reading about two years or so ago. I don't know if it's too soon to post them since it came out today and everyone should definitely read it with full context, and I don't have scans myself, but man I got misty eyed from them.

E: Didn't notice the "Hey" thing though. That's a weird oversight.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
There is something really unsettling about Secret Wars that I hadn't thought about until now...I can't recall a major event book where we see the population at large is either comfortable or prepared to for Oblivion. Not just their death, but the death of Everything. They face the destruction of their cities, nations, world consistently but this was the unmaking of existence itself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Either I'm missing some context or someone hosed up. Who is saying "hey" in that second panel? Luke Cage is hanging out in the background.

That would be a sloppy piece of lettering.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nice page, but also holy poo poo that kid's face is weird-looking in the third panel. She looks like a '90s talk show host's head pasted onto a kid's body with one googly eye.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I am apparently the only person that thinks Ewing frequently to dives headfirst into melodrama and i have to admit that was actually a good moment. The call center scene not so much.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You're not the only one that notices the melodrama. You're just the only one that thinks melodrama in a medium where our heroes and villains often represent our existential hopes and fears is unwarranted.

Someone post the whole YOU section in Mighty Avengers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

There's a limit I think he frequently goes over. I take syrup on my pancakes not frosting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still of the opinion that the whole Incursions thing is one of the dumbest, pointlessly bleak and contrived things to ever be come up with in the history of Marvel, so that page just doesn't work for me at all

meanwhile the upcoming DC animated movie Justice League: Gods & Monsters has released the second of a series of shorts they're doing through Machinima, and this one hits like a ton of bricks;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4

Die Laughing posted:

You're not the only one that notices the melodrama. You're just the only one that thinks melodrama in a medium where our heroes and villains often represent our existential hopes and fears is unwarranted.

Someone post the whole YOU section in Mighty Avengers.

personally I'm not a fan of Melodrama in superhero comics either cause most comics writers are completely awful at writing it or anything else that could be perceived as "Mature"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

personally I'm not a fan of Melodrama in superhero comics either cause most comics writers are completely awful at writing it or anything else that could be perceived as "Mature"

The Lee/Ditko Spider-man was loving radical and it was full of melodrama.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The Lee/Ditko Spider-man was loving radical and it was full of melodrama.

yeah but they were actually good at it, I meant specifically people in the industry today, it's like partway through the 90's almost every writer lost the ability to be competent in that area

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

drrockso20 posted:

meanwhile the upcoming DC animated movie Justice League: Gods & Monsters has released the second of a series of shorts they're doing through Machinima, and this one hits like a ton of bricks;

Oh, hey, that wasn't god awful. And they have a Batman one too. What's that like....

Batman is a vampire

Well, OK then.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, hey, that wasn't god awful. And they have a Batman one too. What's that like....

Batman is a vampire

Well, OK then.

this world's Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, it's Kirk Langstrom who's accidentally turned himself into a "Science" Vampire(think Morbius The Living Vampire from Marvel), and has chosen to only feed on criminals who deserve it, also Superman here is Zod's kid, and was raised by a Catholic family in Mexico, and Wonder Woman is supposedly a New God in this world as well

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

this world's Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, it's Kirk Langstrom who's accidentally turned himself into a "Science" Vampire(think Morbius The Living Vampire from Marvel), and has chosen to only feed on criminals who deserve it, also Superman here is Zod's kid, and was raised by a Catholic family in Mexico, and Wonder Woman is supposedly a New God in this world as well

Wonder Woman is apparently the child of Ares, despite her outfit being pretty Barda-ish.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

drrockso20 posted:

So if Brainiac had been a fetus instead of a child, Superman wouldn't have been able to kill him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

drrockso20 posted:

It's probably not the rarest plot development, but the moment really reminded me of Miracleman.

Speaking of Miracleman, I finished reading Moore's run and the suicide scene was something that really sticks out to me. It doesn't translate well to just seeing it in panels without the context of the decision, but man, what a scene.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
E: wait, this isn't the animation thread.

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 11, 2015

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So if Brainiac had been a fetus instead of a child, Superman wouldn't have been able to kill him.

:thurman:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

Batman is a vampire

Well, OK then.

Jeez, that was somehow the least awful part of that segment too. I thought we had left behind that grimdark bullshit in the 90's, that poo poo would be excessive even on Dexter or Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

It's probably not the rarest plot development, but the moment really reminded me of Miracleman.

Well yeah it's basically a copy/paste job of that scene with less dialogue and a slightly different context. If Timm wasn't deliberately evoking that moment then he's basically ripping it straight off. I'm really not loving what I'm seeing of Gods and Monsters at all, but Bruce Timm built more than enough cachet with the DCAU to do whatever the gently caress he wants right now.