Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Someone sell me on the MEC flamethrower in EW. I always take the punch because the bonus movement and I've never really felt like I've wanted a 6/9 damage close range AoE over a 12/18 damage punch.

The flamethrower panics everything. Even Ethereals. It's also good if you need to apply 6 or 9 damage in a cone that doesn't count as explosive damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Insert name here posted:

Someone sell me on the MEC flamethrower in EW. I always take the punch because the bonus movement and I've never really felt like I've wanted a 6/9 damage close range AoE over a 12/18 damage punch.

Guarantee panic on anything it hurts. ANYTHING. You get to watch Ethereals and Berserkers run for their mommy.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

I have rarely, if ever, found a mod that was as enjoyable as the base game as designed by professional gamesmiths.

BUG mod or whatever it was from Civ 5. It fixed a couple graphic bugs and reorganized the civpedia into something user friendly. L4D2 someone modded in MERCY level before they officially added it. War3, a lot of cool mods done on custom maps, they even had an FPS out there. Long War kinda sucks though I agree

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Insert name here posted:

I like the Flamethrower on my first MEC suit, it's great for dealing with Chrysalids, who are the first big monster you encounter by the time MECs get online. The times you need the super punch come later, largely when mechtoids do, and by then I like to hope I have a second mecsuit read. I then transition the one with the flamethrower to a long range support platform, while the punch one becomes my first MEC 3 and close combat one. (I like to run with two MECs, tank MEC and Sniper mec to mow down dudes.)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

Guarantee panic on anything it hurts. ANYTHING. You get to watch Ethereals and Berserkers run for their mommy.
Ohhh didn't know about the guaranteed panic. Might try it out next time I make a MEC.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh boy, we are back to the B15 hate train.

The aim nerf doesn't even matter in he long run, middle-end game is basically the same, early game has been made easier in multiple ways by now, especially on lower difficulties. Also Gloliaths were always terrible shots

Flamethrower got buffed back, with the item I did up to 11 damage with them, but the real reason you use them is the panic anyway. Yes, using them as your damage soak is a bad idea now, so don't use them for that.

DLC missions were always hard, and they actually activate later now. In Gankplank you always need to prepare for at least one Cyberdisk and the only really difficult part is right in the beginning. The second missions for both DLCs are pretty easy once you have Concealment Scouts since you just need to run through the map.
That one pod of thin men in Newfoundland should not be an issue unless you bring nothing but shotguns.

Resources are hardly thight, especially since the newest patch where many research prices were lowered, you freely sell any Elirium, you never run out, Meld is not an issue and they stay up longer for collection.
And if you go Ballistic-Gauss, no wonder you were doing badly...

And actually yes, many of these can be edited in the inis.

tl;dr: git gud scrub

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Isn't panic basically a "make the enemy take shots at all my soldiers" button though?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
It also fires in a super wide AOE arc. So yeah you're doing less damage on any single target but if you've got 5 targets in the cone the punch starts to look puny. Oh and the panic is good too.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Isn't panic basically a "make the enemy take shots at all my soldiers" button though?

panicking enemies just seems to make them hunker down, unlike how your troops panicking just makes them shoot each other.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Cowcaster posted:

In long war, panicked units always hunker. Or maybe run for cover if they don't have it(?)

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
If anyone is having trouble with Long War first month bomb disposals: Always make sure that you have 3 assaults, a sniper or two, and a scout available for the last 2 weeks or so of March. If this means that you are taking a squad of rookies on an abduction, then do it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

In long war, panicked units always hunker. Or maybe run for cover if they don't have it(?)

Ah, ok. Thinking in terms of vanilla XCOM 2012 again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bholder posted:

Oh boy, we are back to the B15 hate train.

The aim nerf doesn't even matter in he long run, middle-end game is basically the same, early game has been made easier in multiple ways by now, especially on lower difficulties. Also Gloliaths were always terrible shots

Flamethrower got buffed back, with the item I did up to 11 damage with them, but the real reason you use them is the panic anyway. Yes, using them as your damage soak is a bad idea now, so don't use them for that.

DLC missions were always hard, and they actually activate later now. In Gankplank you always need to prepare for at least one Cyberdisk and the only really difficult part is right in the beginning. The second missions for both DLCs are pretty easy once you have Concealment Scouts since you just need to run through the map.
That one pod of thin men in Newfoundland should not be an issue unless you bring nothing but shotguns.

Resources are hardly thight, especially since the newest patch where many research prices were lowered, you freely sell any Elirium, you never run out, Meld is not an issue and they stay up longer for collection.
And if you go Ballistic-Gauss, no wonder you were doing badly...

And actually yes, many of these can be edited in the inis.

tl;dr: git gud scrub

literally all of this is wrong and doesn't even address half the points I made. Late game you're looking at a loss of 20 aim in comparison to beta 14. Early game is not easier, mostly because they hosed up the enemy coding and you can get huge spikes out of nowhere. Aliens dropping into cover/randomized bomb disposals/Air game modifiers are absolutely not in the ini and are by far the most egregious thing in 15 besides Repair which thankfully is.

I'm also glad you can throw out 'Meld is not an issue' :downs: when the whole loving problem with Meld in 15 is that they made it ridiculously swingy by lowering the ambient amount you get from just killing aliens and jacked the amount from canisters up. When Canisters aren't even guarenteed on every mission, are often (early on especially) in completely unreachable places and basically impossible to get to when you hit the end of the game.

Stop apologizing for poo poo game design and demanding everyone worship a couple of modders who seem to have lost the point of their mod.

Also, jesus gently caress did you miss the point with the Goliath example. Did you maybe miss the part where Heavy Floater Leaders have loving 80 defense and why this might be a problem when most classes hover around that point for the end of their aim progression. And aim stacking is no longer a thing you can do.

No, of course, git gud and ignore idiotic decisions like that because the modders can't be bothered to do arithmetic.

EDIT: Notice, for instance, how I'm not complaining about Muton Elites despite the fact they can get to similar levels of defense in High Cover. This is because you can do things like flank them, or destroy the cover, and actually use things like grenades and flush.

Long War literally made a change to flush in beta 15 so that flying units aren't forced to move with it. Which means there is literally gently caress all you can do about a Heavy Floater who decides to just hover out of range of a grenade.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I like the Flamethrower on my first MEC suit, it's great for dealing with Chrysalids, who are the first big monster you encounter by the time MECs get online. The times you need the super punch come later, largely when mechtoids do, and by then I like to hope I have a second mecsuit read. I then transition the one with the flamethrower to a long range support platform, while the punch one becomes my first MEC 3 and close combat one. (I like to run with two MECs, tank MEC and Sniper mec to mow down dudes.)

You get a cybernetics lab online that early? I'm still working through my first Enemy Within playthrough (classic bronzeman), and I didn't have room in the base for a genetics lab until after the alien base. Two by two block of satellite uplinks left of the elevator, then officer training school and alien containment in the remaining left spaces. Two by two block of workshops right of the elevator, then two power generators in the remaining right spaces. Wasn't until I got into the third level that I had room to start building other stuff like the foundry and genetics lab.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Panicked units do one of or some combination of movement, shooting, hunkering, and freaking out. A panicked unit also loses its next turn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cythereal posted:

You get a cybernetics lab online that early? I'm still working through my first Enemy Within playthrough (classic bronzeman), and I didn't have room in the base for a genetics lab until after the alien base. Two by two block of satellite uplinks left of the elevator, then officer training school and alien containment in the remaining left spaces. Two by two block of workshops right of the elevator, then two power generators in the remaining right spaces. Wasn't until I got into the third level that I had room to start building other stuff like the foundry and genetics lab.

Yeah, that's a ton of workshops.

You should slot in Foundry/Genetics Lab/Cybernetics bay way before you build them. I usually have them up before the first terror mission, they unlock things that are much more useful early on than later in the game and you get to play with fun toys.

That many workshops is some serious overkill. Also remember that the Foundry/Cybernetics bay give adjacency bonuses to Workshops and the Gene Lab gives them to Labs.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 5, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm still partial to taking away repair from X-Com captured drones just because gently caress Beagle.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zore posted:

Stop apologizing for poo poo game design and demanding everyone worship a couple of modders who seem to have lost the point of their mod.

You are way too mad about this poo poo.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Whoa am I to understand that a balance mod is actually terrible poo poo made by retards when has this ever happened in the history of mods

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

long war is fun

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
I'm finding myself weirdly nostalgic for Zhang and Annette, which is odd because I generally play with Slingshot and Progeny turned off. Still, it'd be nice to see them around the Avenger.

Also, calling it now: Vahlen has been working with the aliens to get access to their research and feeding it back to XCOM. She's the only one there both hardcore and morally flexible enough to do it.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
b14 was really great in most areas.

Then somewhere along the way they just went nuts and stopped listening to feedback assuming everyone who complained about something was just a whiner, which was reinforced by save scummers or dick suckers (who were probably also save scummers)

I have yet to play a game that had insane difficulty where some lamer didn't come along and claim they were doing just fine and everyone else sucked. Remember the original inferno mode in d3?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Wales Grey posted:

Panicked units do one of or some combination of movement, shooting, hunkering, and freaking out. A panicked unit also loses its next turn.

Flamethrowers cause a special type of panic, though:

XCOM wiki posted:

The Flamethrower almost always makes low-Will enemies panic, and, unlike Psi Panic, does not have a chance to cause them to fire on XCOM operatives. This gives your troops a whole turn of cheap shots.

I have heard that this also usually works on Etherials. Basically, it forces enemies out of current cover or to hunker down, and is overall fantastic against grounps that need to be out of action.

Additionally, the flamethrower is amazing against EXALT groups sitting on an encryption zone.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

b14 was really great in most areas.

Then somewhere along the way they just went nuts and stopped listening to feedback assuming everyone who complained about something was just a whiner, which was reinforced by save scummers or dick suckers (who were probably also save scummers)

I have yet to play a game that had insane difficulty where some lamer didn't come along and claim they were doing just fine and everyone else sucked. Remember the original inferno mode in d3?

That is why they changed the alien stats on lower difficulties, that is why they made early game missions less random, that is why they lowered the prizes.

Because they don't listen.

Sure!

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

long war is fun
I am legit enjoying my Long War b15 playthrough. It sounds like some people just need to change their tampons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

That is why they changed the alien stats on lower difficulties, that is why they made early game missions less random, that is why they lowered the prizes.

Sure!

They have done one of those things yes.

they gave floaters a minor movement nerf.

early game missions are more random now because they hosed the coding up and they're working on fixing it lol.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Robzilla posted:

I am legit enjoying my Long War b15 playthrough. It sounds like some people just need to change their tampons.

I too, started a new game of b15 recently, and I am enjoying it.

End game balance is a ways away for me though

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Bholder posted:

Sure!

I mean I was pretty active on the LW forums and it's not hard to find how defensive the modders get at the slightest negative feedback - such as how stupid the air game gets

But yeah keep posting snarky poo poo then whining when someone calls you on it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I mean I was pretty active on the LW forums and it's not hard to find how defensive the modders get at the slightest negative feedback - such as how stupid the air game gets

But yeah keep posting snarky poo poo then whining when someone calls you on it

Nah son you don't understand, people who have different experiences are scrubs to be ridiculed, not just people who had different experiences.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zomborgon posted:

Flamethrowers cause a special type of panic, though:

I have heard that this also usually works on Etherials. Basically, it forces enemies out of current cover or to hunker down, and is overall fantastic against grounps that need to be out of action.

Additionally, the flamethrower is amazing against EXALT groups sitting on an encryption zone.

The panic is automatic, there's no 'low-will' about it. If you set a fucker on fire he is not keeping his cool.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
after giving the matter some very serious consideration ive come to the conclusion that Cable is most likely the 5th class

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Coolguye posted:

The panic is automatic, there's no 'low-will' about it. If you set a fucker on fire he is not keeping his cool.

Is this the Advent's olive branch? "Sure guys, we may have kidnapped, tortured, and experimented on a bunch of people for some unfathomable, Lovecraftian goal, but... when set on fire, do we not all freak the gently caress out?"

Jintor
May 19, 2014

oh yeah, that reminds me: I sure hope they have accented english this time around for nationality soldiers baked-in. I can't believe how much that added to Long War.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah that sounds loving horrible

I had a huge .ini edit that I posted here like 6 months ago that was targetted at a lot of the stupid poo poo like the massive fatigue penalties for training your troops, but I don't even want to bother with all that other poo poo in there.

My biggest problem with Long War is the backend difficulty. Early/mid game is amazing and awesome. Then you reach the point where 5 - 6 heavy floaters attack with a 10 skill leader (tactical sense should imo be taken off the skill tree for aliens. Is this possible to do?).

You get tired of stomping into the crap and go play another game. It just gets tedious.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm playing 15e and thoroughly enjoying it. If it's too hard just turn down the difficulty you spergs, stop worrying about how a lower difficulty in a SP game affects your fragile ego. Of course I agree that LW has many dumb things, but the majority of those things are easily adjusted with a tiny ini edit or two. The new stuff it adds is totally worth the handful of dumb things imo.

Disclaimer I am still in early/mid, so I dunno about late yet

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Ernie Muppari posted:

after giving the matter some very serious consideration ive come to the conclusion that Cable is most likely the 5th class

No, it's the commander. Didn't you know this is XCOM 2: Fire Emblem?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Taffer posted:

I'm playing 15e and thoroughly enjoying it. If it's too hard just turn down the difficulty you spergs, stop worrying about how a lower difficulty in a SP game affects your fragile ego. Of course I agree that LW has many dumb things, but the majority of those things are easily adjusted with a tiny ini edit or two. The new stuff it adds is totally worth the handful of dumb things imo.

Disclaimer I am still in early/mid, so I dunno about late yet

Most of the complaints with LW come out in the mid to late game, when the air game frequently becomes untenable and even when it isn't, the overall length makes the game become a slog.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I guess since it's your first game you don't quite have the strats, but in general before EW it was all about laser rushing and sat rushing. EW changed that with MECs, unlike LW you can get them super early and they more than make up for getting lasers slower. Also from what I remember is going light or not at all on workshops. But its been a bit since I played vanilla, so I might not remember everything correctly. Anyway if you beat the alien base all this build order stuff is moot because you passed the hump anyway!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The early game in EW is generally a lot more open - you need an early game advantage to conclusively win the Battlescape, and that advantage can come from MECs, from gene soldiers, or from SHIVs. Any will work, and all of them will lead to different strengths and doctrines leading into the mid-game as your more mundane soldiers get their armor and weapon upgrades. Pick one and commit to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i just play longwar with the not so long war option or what ever its called now, and it usually lasts a little longer than a standard game. :shrug:

• Locked thread