Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Baron Snow posted:

Something like the DC Comics Court of Owls mask?

While that had come up in my googling, I don't feel like it's deep enough in the Uncanny Valley. There's also the fact that that's a Batman thing, and I don't want people to make that connection, since this is something I'm coming up with on my own. Maybe if the beak were more prominent or something, I could use it as a base.

Patattack posted:

Perhaps take some inspiration from the Shy Guy, with a less cartoonish twist?

That's sort of what I'm going for, yeah. Something that's recognizable as a face, but is dead and soulless, and thus creepy. I like the barn owl mask that I posted, because those fuckers look pretty creepy as-is. Getting a mask that has the shape of their face, but is muted and lacks detail pushes it way further into creepy territory, which is a good thing.

Too bad the person who made the owl mask I posted about apparently only does limited runs of certain masks, and may not even remake any before I need this one. I need to find an alternative place to get a similar one in the next couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

While that had come up in my googling, I don't feel like it's deep enough in the Uncanny Valley. There's also the fact that that's a Batman thing, and I don't want people to make that connection, since this is something I'm coming up with on my own. Maybe if the beak were more prominent or something, I could use it as a base.

That's sort of what I'm going for, yeah. Something that's recognizable as a face, but is dead and soulless, and thus creepy. I like the barn owl mask that I posted, because those fuckers look pretty creepy as-is. Getting a mask that has the shape of their face, but is muted and lacks detail pushes it way further into creepy territory, which is a good thing.

Too bad the person who made the owl mask I posted about apparently only does limited runs of certain masks, and may not even remake any before I need this one. I need to find an alternative place to get a similar one in the next couple of months.

How about with markings similar to

Rakshas from Berserk

Though it's not as soulless; you could combine the ideas?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Patattack posted:

More specifically, a "union suit", which is the traditional full-body red prospector-style long john.

Thanks! I couldn't remember the name.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

neogeo0823 posted:

Maybe you can find something on Etsy? The other thing is you could DIY with plaster strips.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you are going with uncanny valley style looks, you can always try modding out a mannequin's head, or going with the mardi gras masks (dunno the technical term for those).

The creepiest part of Condemned was the mannequin mall section. Mannequin armor and creepy settings are not something to discover while playing a video game at 2 am.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I made this a long time ago, time has dusted it and cracked the magic sculpt, but it turned out pretty good when paired with a black hoody/covering all skin up and strange head movements. The black fabric is a basic hood that covers up the edge of your face, hoody goes over it and holds it in place.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I think the cracks actually add something, if you could make them look a little less happy...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

peach moonshine posted:

Hey, I saw you at the foam panel. This thing looks great in person. I almost said something but decided I'd stare from across the room and make this post later on instead. Hope you had a nice weekend.

Super late in replying to this but thanks! Hope you had a good time at Anime North.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Dead and soulless you say? Like this?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014
To me, things that look kind of okay at first glance but REALLY aren't when you look better are the worst/creepiest.

Like this! The skin cracking off combined with the "an eye shouldn't really be going there" is pretty effective.

Honourable mentions go to having gaping black holes on the mask (since that was part of your original description I'd just go with that idea), and exaggerated proportions.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Or just no face at all. I get creeped out by things I can't see, but can see me.

Getting a cheap mardi gras mask like Flander says works the best. It has features you know, but you can't read them. The no feature masks that look like an owl aren't really creepy. Large eyes can be seen as more friendly rather than creepy. Having a plain white mask would work better, I think. You can really get under peoples skin by watching them from something like that. For my mask in the above picture, I used a mardi gras mask, used black hammer paint, and no gloss sealer, then sheer shower curtain over the whole thing to block the view of my face behind the mask. 2 layers of fabric over the eyes, and 1 over the mouth and nose for you would block people from seeing in unless there is a bright light. Don't try wearing it in the dark though, can't see a thing in low light. If you do wear something like that, consider getting some kind of adhesive cooling pads. It gets insanely hot behind a mask like that.

Could you maybe post some kind of concept of what you are going for? Is it something like this?

(skip to 2:07 if the video doesn't load there.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2HTAcbmck

I think these people based their costume on another one someone did before them, but I can't find the video. They made a similar costume and wandered around a city. It's also probably heavily based on the landstriders from Dark Crystal.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Repo Man posted:

Could you maybe post some kind of concept of what you are going for? Is it something like this?

(skip to 2:07 if the video doesn't load there.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2HTAcbmck

I think these people based their costume on another one someone did before them, but I can't find the video. They made a similar costume and wandered around a city. It's also probably heavily based on the landstriders from Dark Crystal.

In fact, that very video is my inspiration for the thing I'm making. :D These guys were the first to make that sort of costume and make it Youtube famous, as far as I've ever been able to tell. They took inspiration from the landstriders from The Dark Crystal, and from No Face from Spirited Away.

Obviously, I'm taking my own artistic direction on my version. I was originally going to do the blank theater masks like they did, and I still will if other options are too hard to get, but I would like to explore those other options as much as possible. Part of the big problem is finding something that's creepy to as many people as possible. For some, it's the theater mask, or button face, or the cracked doll faces. That human-but-not-human face sends chills down their spines. For others, seeing that it's something wholly inhuman does it, which is where masks like that barn owl mask I posted come in. For yet others, like yourself, not seeing a face at all does it best, because of the fear of the unknown. There's a number of directions to go, and trying to find a common point is difficult at best.

EDIT: Another thing that makes it difficult is becoming desensitized to the various creepy things you're looking for, thus making it even harder to find something good.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 4, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I think your best middle ground would be some kind of blank Mardi gras mask.you could also have multiple masks you bring with you. Maybe look into a Noh theater mask. They are very small and aren't meant to fit over your face completely, so it looks a bit unnerving. A woman face from a hair play would be interesting since I doubt anyone has done it before.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm actually not sure if a fully face-covering mask would be preferable to a smaller one or not. One thing I want to be able to do is walk on 4 legs and two. The stilts I built will facilitate that, but I can't just toss a mask on my head and call it a day without it getting really awkward when I go from walking on 4 legs to 2. To solve that, I'm going to build a rig that will attach to a helmet that I'll wear. The rig will allow the mask to sit on a pivot about a foot above my head, which will be counter-weighted to keep the mask facing forward as I go from basically looking down to looking forward. This means the mask can be literally anything, with no concern for visibility, which is nice. It'll also give me a blank background to work with, so I don't need to worry about my face. If anyone needs me to, I can draw a lovely MSPaint of how I'm building this when I get home later tonight.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The Repo Man posted:

Or just no face at all. I get creeped out by things I can't see, but can see me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnefUaKCbc

Mirror faces. 4:08 is a good time to see them.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The mirror face thing is pretty neat.

Neo, you may just have to make a couple masks and try them out in the costume to get what you want. The blank Mardi gras mask would still be my recommendation since they are super cheap at hobby stores, and you can modify them pretty easy. You could also do a quick paper mache blank mask just to see how it would look on the costume.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There's also this that I found while looking for something else
http://www.amazon.com/Disguise-Cost...ds=no+face+mask

It's featureless, which is kind of creepy by itself, but you could doll it up and paint or otherwise disguise parts of it to make it look like whatever.

That actually brings me to my own question. I found this mask here
http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum...eathstroke+mask

And it's more or less what I want. Right size, right shape. However the description says it is 100% vinyl and customer reviews seem to indicate that it is soft rubber. Is there some way I could fill this with spray foam or something to try and get it to stiffen up a bit, and then make a mold from there and then cast in resin or something? I mean, I want to pretty it up a bit, customize, the paint job, get rid of the holes on the one side...

EDIT:
Something like this, maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_7EzNZ4e4

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I showed some initial interest in this thread months ago, but got caught up in a more evil hobby known as Warhammer 40k, since then I've learned to assemble and paint little space mens. That being said, I'd like to come back for some advice, because I've been to a few conventions recently which have reignited my interest, along with a girlfriend who really wants to dress up for the next one we attend. On top of this I've been mesmerized by some of the Space Marine power armor cosplays I've seen(specifically Roses and Boltshells). I am smart to realize something is way out of my league, so I figured learning slowly over time starting out with simply costumes might be the best route.

That being said I've decided I'd like to try to pull off Less Grossman from Tropic Thunder, and I was wondering if anyone might have some good videos/books that would explain how do the make-up effects that it would take to pull this off, not to mention getting my hands on a fat suit to wear under my cloths. I am pretty much Tom Cruise's build, although a little taller, but it seems like a good place to start for this summer's conventions and Halloween.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
PROGRESS

I named the shinguards Bon and Angus. We have changed pace a bit on the Warcraft project, originally my husband and I were working on our own separate costumes but we've concluded that we don't have enough time for both so he is going to hold off on his and help me finish my Arthas build for GenCon. :3: He's the actual best. He is working on my giant fur rave boots, which we stuffed with a bit more quilt loft after that photo, and I am now working on thigh armor. Once the legs are done I'm leaping into the biggest parts of the costume, breastplate and shoulders, and I'm kinda concerned how that's going to go. :gonk:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Do you have a collectors edition Frostmourne to use? Would save you a lot of time over making your own.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Uroboros posted:

Do you have a collectors edition Frostmourne to use? Would save you a lot of time over making your own.

I don't, metal weapons at a convention is probably too much of a pain anyway. I'm hoping to put some badass lights in it and I like sculpting a lot anyway so I don't really mind putting my own together. :)

e. Am I just sitting on the couch tonight playing video games with my giant wookie legwarmers on? Yes. Yes, I am.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

McPantserton posted:

e. Am I just sitting on the couch tonight playing video games with my giant wookie legwarmers on? Yes. Yes, I am.

You're living the dream.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, I'm almost at the point in my current costume where I'm going to make craft foam armor, and I would like the voice of experience.

I want to make this poo poo durable. It seems like the best plan of attack is plasti dip primer, paint, then do a clear coat of plastidip. Will that give me plenty of durability or am I talking out my rear end?

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

Just finished up this Antman helmet for work! Would have picked up and finished off the jumpsuit today, but I got hit with a bout of fever and the flu. Gotta do that tomorrow.

On another note, can't wait to work on this guy! Might actually try rigging up a flamethrower made from a tiny fan and some red tissue paper.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Does anyone have any good resources on wiring leds for lighting? it's something I want to add to my props but I have absolutely no experience with.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Faltion posted:

Does anyone have any good resources on wiring leds for lighting? it's something I want to add to my props but I have absolutely no experience with.

You can actually get really far using EL wire and EL tape (search for them on amazon) - they're already all put together and take regular batteries. For something simple (in my case, the lights in a portal gun) they're perfect. If you want just a couple point light sources, single LED-and-battery devices (search "photon micro-light" on amazon) work in the same way - click on, click off, no electronics skill required.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Thanks, I'll take a look at what you listed. Mostly I need a string of 5-6 leds for different positions attached to a switch and battery, so I'll probably have to look at getting into wiring proper circuits.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Do you guys have any advice on getting chipped paint effects? I'm making a Captain America shield and am thinking about trying to make it a little beat up. Unfortunately, most of the weathering effect tutorials I've found are for scale models, and I'm not sure how well those techniques would scale up.

I'm using a spray enamel for the colors, if that helps.

lithium flour
Jan 27, 2012

a fully digital ovine
Finally caught up with the thread! Time to show my own efforts:

It's half size as I've never made anything like this before and wanted a trial run. Going to coat it with epsilon epoxy soon as I get a chance.

If I can get a handle on the EVA foam techniques I would love to do a full armour. I've wanted to ever since I first saw McPanterson's Starcraft marine, a long time ago. (different methods I know now, but unbelievably badass!)

I found I really struggled cutting tight curves neatly in foam even with a fresh knife blade. Would a heat knife help with that?

lithium flour fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 17, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radio! posted:

Do you guys have any advice on getting chipped paint effects? I'm making a Captain America shield and am thinking about trying to make it a little beat up. Unfortunately, most of the weathering effect tutorials I've found are for scale models, and I'm not sure how well those techniques would scale up.

I'm using a spray enamel for the colors, if that helps.

Paint a silver bottom layer (or use silver material that you apply the paint to) and then actually chip the paint?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paint the bottom silver/matte aluminum. then just use masking tape to section off the "damage" parts, and when you finish the paint, just peel the masking tape off.

You'll have silver underneath, and your normal color on top.

Airbrush in some black detail around it for detail and boom, you have battle damage.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Chipped paint tutorial involving masking parts off with liquid latex:
http://www.wmarmory.com/?p=3148

Chipped paint tutorial involving paint and a silver sharpie:
http://www.wmarmory.com/?p=142

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I got an order on Etsy for an Alice in Wonderland Steampunk gunbelt. This is going to be worn at the San Diego Comic Con. The customer gave me some creative leeway, which is always fun.

I put a Cheshire Cat on the front of the holster, and the back has the white rabbit and the mad hatter's hat.

Instead of cartridges, I used glass vials. Here's a good shot of the White Rabbit carving

I took some pictures with a local model before sending it out to the customer.

I asked the customer to send some shots of the entire ensemble once she gets it, and I'll share those. I got into building these gunbelts bcause they seemed like a natural progression of my skills with leather work. This is the first one for someone who wasn't using the belt for cowboy style shooting, and I enjoyed being able to have more fun with it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I'm a complete amateur, and was hoping someone might able to help.

How would I go about adding the black areas on the chest of this design?

My main idea was get a red morphsuit as the base, build the helmet and belt, cut the gloves to shape, make boot covers, and a pair of black trunks over the morphsuit. But I've not idea how I'd do the chest design.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So I've been working on designs for Illidan's war-glaives from World of Warcraft/Heroes of the Storm. My original plan was to loosely follow what Volpin Props does: make a base prop out of fiberboard, clay, and Bondo, then cast it in urethane. Since the blades are symmetrical, I just have to sculpt one side of one glaive, pull four copies, and assemble the two completed glaives.

I've run the numbers, though, and it looks like this is going to cost me hundreds of dollars in silicone alone for the molds, and then another couple hundred for the urethane. While I'm not explicitly on a budget, is there a cheaper way of doing this that still retains the strength, lightness, and ease of construction of resin casting? I'm a little bit hesitant to drop six hundred bucks on making some fantasy weapons.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh... not really.

There's always the option of foam building and covering THAT in fiberglass, or pep files and covering it in resin, and then building from there.

Silicone is just one of those things that's pricey, and you don't really want to go cheap with the resin either. I'd say probably smoothcast 300 is your best bet if you are going the resin route. The cheaper stuff like Easycast or CastinCraft is gonna be brittle as hell, and will probably start to sag unless you get the ratio of catalyst to resin PERFECT. It sucks spending money but it sucks WAY more when it fucks up and you have to spend more.

If you don't want to drop the cash into the mold/resin option, try looking at the big foam packs from harbor freight and seeing if you can cover it in resin or fiberglass, or look into the pep idea. It'll be cheaper and I've seen some incredible things made with it.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

blastron posted:

So I've been working on designs for Illidan's war-glaives from World of Warcraft/Heroes of the Storm. My original plan was to loosely follow what Volpin Props does: make a base prop out of fiberboard, clay, and Bondo, then cast it in urethane. Since the blades are symmetrical, I just have to sculpt one side of one glaive, pull four copies, and assemble the two completed glaives.

I've run the numbers, though, and it looks like this is going to cost me hundreds of dollars in silicone alone for the molds, and then another couple hundred for the urethane. While I'm not explicitly on a budget, is there a cheaper way of doing this that still retains the strength, lightness, and ease of construction of resin casting? I'm a little bit hesitant to drop six hundred bucks on making some fantasy weapons.

How about you just saw it out of wood, stack some layers and then fill the height differences with filler. :P
I mean making your own space shuttle seems cool and all but there ARE easier ways.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

How about you just saw it out of wood, stack some layers and then fill the height differences with filler. :P
I mean making your own space shuttle seems cool and all but there ARE easier ways.

This is approximately how I plan to make Frostmourne, wood core + sintra upper layers + bondo

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I wouldn't sintra anything except the redonkulous ornaments, but since you're a plastic wizard that won't be a problem. For the sword I'd go wood wood and filler though, wood is amazing since a good dremel and some sharp engraving tools can work miracles, and you can sand the blades edge to a lifelike finish. Then if you go crazy go nuts on it do some Chrome spray, and make it the best fake sword ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2SN6JDF5I

You can even paint the runes some kinda neon reflective blue after chroming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

I wouldn't sintra anything except the redonkulous ornaments, but since you're a plastic wizard that won't be a problem. For the sword I'd go wood wood and filler though, wood is amazing since a good dremel and some sharp engraving tools can work miracles, and you can sand the blades edge to a lifelike finish. Then if you go crazy go nuts on it do some Chrome spray, and make it the best fake sword ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2SN6JDF5I

You can even paint the runes some kinda neon reflective blue after chroming.

I'm using sintra for the flat top surfaces because they won't be load-bearing like the center cutout and I want to save as much weight as possible, wood is heavy. I'm probably going to do a cutout/clear plastic/light up runes rather than something reflective, as well. Some of this is still pretty theoretical because the armor is taking forever (what a surprise) and I'm not sure if I'm going to get the sword done for GenCon. Would rather not have it done and make it later than rush it though so we'll see!