Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

East poo poo funcon havers. :argh:

Origins is sadly no great shakes anymore, I mostly go for the Smithee Awards and waffles. That's not to say there isn't fun gaming to be had, but the con has seen bizarre levels of mismanagement in the last decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

unseenlibrarian posted:

Sorry, all my fantasy gaming map needs are handled by

One day I'll get players who want to visit Kanga-Rat Murder Society. One. Day.

I ran this tonight in Gamma World. Started in the Strange Fire Area where OUR HEROES are on the run toward the United States of Lions after a particularly botched pyrotechnics display (by the pyrokenetic robot).

Next week: The Radiation Barrier!

(and I remembered how hard it is to improv encounters in 4e compared to other systems.........)

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Tulpa posted:

Agreeing with this post, though Babe: Pig in the City is better than Babe (the real reason I was hype for Fury Road before it came out was not because George Miller directed the original trilogy, but because he directed Pig in the City)

Oh, for sure, Pig in the City is a masterpiece.

Really, the cool + admirable thing about George Miller is that he really just seems to like making movies. Like it doesn't seem to matter the budget or what kind of movie he's doing, he just has a passion for his art. Those kind of people are the best.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am reading the opening parts of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine and I am thoroughly confused.
Is this normal?

e: I feel like the game is trying to communicate rules to me, but I cannot grasp how this information that's being given to me is supposed to translate in the practical act of playing.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 6, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
This is entirely normal. Don't worry; the feeling will pass soon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm basically available day and night to answer Chuubo questions if you have any! What can I do for you?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am reading the opening parts of Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine and I am thoroughly confused.
Is this normal?

e: I feel like the game is trying to communicate rules to me, but I cannot grasp how this information that's being given to me is supposed to translate in the practical act of playing.

This is the normal reaction to reading a Jenna Moran game. Carry on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I just grabbed Pillars of Eternity from g2a.com. What kind of character should I make? I tend to like rogue and fighter sorts.

Dec 26, 2012

A rogue, or maybe a fighter.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So sometimes we're idling in IRC waiting for the DM or someone else to post.
Would it be worthwhile to have a channel for like, pick-up games? Also, is there a game that's suited to pickup IRC play, or should I make my own? :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

So sometimes we're idling in IRC waiting for the DM or someone else to post.
Would it be worthwhile to have a channel for like, pick-up games? Also, is there a game that's suited to pickup IRC play, or should I make my own? :v:

I'd love to play me some games over IRC

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Do you like Pokémon?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

dwarf74 posted:

So I just grabbed Pillars of Eternity from g2a.com. What kind of character should I make? I tend to like rogue and fighter sorts.

Fighter, Rogue, Monk, Barbarian. If it influences your choice, there's a companion of every class but Rogue/Monk/Barbarian and they're all very solid choices for getting on the train to murdertown.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm basically available day and night to answer Chuubo questions if you have any! What can I do for you?

I appreciate the offer. I think I'll read a little more berore bothering you with questions though, in case the answers are in the book.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My one-day Origins notes:
  • Ver. Blue Amusement had a booth, strangely enough, and their head translator was there. They'd already sold out of Double Cross by the time I arrived, though they're working on a hardcover / clarification of the main book.
  • Pelgrane was there for a second year in a row, which was good to see. It's interesting to see what game publishers still go to Origins, since not many do...
  • ... unless they're Blind Ferret, ugh. I was tempted to have Lar deSouza sketch something dumb, but "$40 and up" is too rich for what would mainly be novelty.
  • Origins mostly just continues to maintain, unfortunately. It says something that there isn't much in the way of city banners or the like, but there hasn't been any attempt to expand or grow the con in a half-decade to a decade and it shows. The fact that it's in early June is terrible and nobody understands why they moved it to the current date.
  • I attended a "how to publish a game seminar" by Jason Bulmahn, and ended up running into the fan translator of Sword World. Seminars there are anemic, Bulmahn had literally three attendees, about as many at the Lou Zocchi seminar I attended last year, and that's weird considering he designed the second or third best-selling RPG on the planet right now. Crazy.
  • The waffle place was gone! I got vietnamese for dinner, which is traditional for me when I go. But no more waffles.
  • I picked up a physical copy of Monsterhearts, finally.
  • The Smithee Awards are always fantastic and the main reason I go anymore. Standout badfilms included this year were Enter... Zombie King! (zombies + luchadors), The Human Tornado (Dolemite sequel), and Meltdown (Die Hard + City Hunter).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

unless they're Blind Ferret, ugh. I was tempted to have Lar deSouza sketch something dumb, but "$40 and up" is too rich for what would mainly be novelty.

Have him sketch a written apology for all his years of work.

Edit: And pay him an extra $40 for an additional apology for taking your money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I debated stopping in at Origins today since I'm already in Columbus but the last time I stopped in on a Saturday there weren't any events that sounded interesting and the vendor hall is a shadow of how it was when I first started going to conventions in 06. After Origins 2010 we decided to just go to Gencon instead and it was the best decision we could have made.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RPZip posted:

Fighter, Rogue, Monk, Barbarian. If it influences your choice, there's a companion of every class but Rogue/Monk/Barbarian and they're all very solid choices for getting on the train to murdertown.
Sweet. I will stick with my gnome-thing pirate then!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ver. Blue Amusement had a booth, strangely enough, and their head translator was there. They'd already sold out of Double Cross by the time I arrived, though they're working on a hardcover / clarification of the main book.

Yeah, they're redoing the corebook powers to match the format change in one of the later books, and I think the hardback corebook's going to be the same form factor as the others so they don't line up super-lopsidedly on the shelf. No real rules changes, jut clarifications on stuff/fixing missed errata from the last round.

...I'll probably still get it anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Loki_XLII posted:

Oh, for sure, Pig in the City is a masterpiece.

Really, the cool + admirable thing about George Miller is that he really just seems to like making movies. Like it doesn't seem to matter the budget or what kind of movie he's doing, he just has a passion for his art. Those kind of people are the best.

Miller is a great fantasist. It's overlooked a bit because the Mad Max movies are primarily action films, but in every movie I've seen of his he's creating worlds.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Back in the 80s when I thought of Mad Max role playing the first thing that came to mind was Car Wars (with Duel Track low-tech rules). Yes it was a crunchy tactical diving game with a lightweight RPG grafted onto the side, and the rules were absurdly deadly to the PCs, but for a game where the main characters were really the cars and you wanted to just set up scenarios with armored convoys attacked by bandit bikers it could not be beat. Is the game around and worthy of Fury Road? Optionally, its time for a light-crunch tactical driving game with an Apocalypse Engine RPG grafted on the side.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Miller is a great fantasist. It's overlooked a bit because the Mad Max movies are primarily action films, but in every movie I've seen of his he's creating worlds.
It's true. Normally there aren't pigs in cities.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm at a mall with a Barnes & Noble that has the Legendary Alien game and it looks pretty swanky. I read a couple reviews while I waited for the girlfriend to get done with whatever she was doing and it sounds fun. Is it worth $60?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, they're redoing the corebook powers to match the format change in one of the later books, and I think the hardback corebook's going to be the same form factor as the others so they don't line up super-lopsidedly on the shelf. No real rules changes, jut clarifications on stuff/fixing missed errata from the last round.

...I'll probably still get it anyway.

Yeah, it's a lot more work than it sounds like from talking to him, and I let him know it'd be appreciated to have an edited and clarified edition, especially since I was one of the people with the first printing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Paolomania posted:

a game where the main characters were really the cars
That reminds me, I've always wondered how you could go about making a Top Gear RPG. Probably a mix of whatever you'd use to emulate Mad Max, and Paranoia.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 6, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Len posted:

I debated stopping in at Origins today since I'm already in Columbus but the last time I stopped in on a Saturday there weren't any events that sounded interesting and the vendor hall is a shadow of how it was when I first started going to conventions in 06. After Origins 2010 we decided to just go to Gencon instead and it was the best decision we could have made.

Yeah, it says something that few of the major RPG publishers have a presence there. Not Paizo, not Wizards of the Coast, not Fantasy Flight, not even Onyx Path. Like, the biggest folks are Pelgrane and Cubicle 7, I think? Atlas has one, to be fair, but Atlas' booth always seems more like they're trying sell the contents of their closets than any attempt to market their games. You're loving lucky to find their games at their own booth. AEG didn't even know what I was talking about when I brought up Imperial Archives, but I guess that's because it's POD-only, as it turns out. Still. They didn't know.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's pretty sad that something like PAX, which is primarily a video game convention, has a better tabletop industry presence than Origins. :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's the hottest summeriest day of the year so far here, and I spent it largely indoors reading Asterix. No regrets. In fact, I want to run a game now with the same premise. Be the most prominent warriors of the small rebellious village, visit all the ends of the earth because the Imperator has cooked up some new scheme, meet all the fantasy stereotypes that ever existed from Scottish dwarves to computer-like warforged. Reskin any and all enemies to Imperial Soldiers. XP is tracked in Imperial helmets.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's true. Normally there aren't pigs in cities.

There are, they just patrol around in police cars.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's pretty sad that something like PAX, which is primarily a video game convention, has a better tabletop industry presence than Origins. :(

It's better if you're there for board or wargames, but still not fantastic. They basically don't know their audience and have made it a lot more expensive to do open gaming kind of stuff, which has helped drive out a lot of the regular wargame attendees who mainly used it as a means to meet up and run weekend-long spergboards involving thousands of counters. I mean, they're the kind of people who believe there's no overlap between their con and something like Colossalcon (same weekend, up in Sandusky, OH), because tabletop gamers and anime fans don't have any overlap? I guess? :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know Origins has Games on Demand going, so at least there's that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know Origins has Games on Demand going, so at least there's that?

They do, though they make you pay for it at Origins, it's like $4 per game. And- see, that's what I'm talking about! I'm not saying you can't go to Origins and have a lot of fun, I had a blast for just one day. But it's still a con that, unlike nearly every other convention, forces Games on Demand to charge a fee. What the gently caress? Any other convention is glad to have people just run poo poo to attract attendees, but nope, Origins has to make you pay to play at every chance they can.

And I forgot to go to the auction hall!... oh well, it's not very good. Ohio has strict regulations regarding auctions. You have to hire a licensed auctioneer nowadays, the license costs a lot of time and money to obtain, and as a result getting an auctioneer costs a lot of money and can only be hired for a certain chunk of time as a result. It's nothing Origins can do anything about, but it does a lot to make the auction hall a shadow of what it is at other conventions, since it only runs for one day.

That's not to say you can't go and have a lot of fun with great games and meet some fantastic folks, it's just sad for those of us that remember Origins as the #2 gaming convention in the world to see it run in the most hamfisted and tone-deaf way. It's not terrible, but it could be so much better. It just says a lot that the big pull for me is the Smithee Awards, and that has nothing to do with gaming.

I wish I could put a more positive spin on things, but it's very frustrating to watch.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Ok, here goes: could you give me an example of an application of the Hollow rules as described in the Urban Fantasy genre, at the beginning of the book?

I have sort of understood the rules regarding Pastoral and Gothic genres (even though I doubt they are enough to hold together a game on their own, but I assume this is going to be exanded upon later in the book) and why failing to connect with a living being causes Isolation, but I am not so sure what generates Hollow. It's supposed to happen when you invoke one of the Action XPs but fail to properly feel wonder or actually explore something new, if I am reading this correctly... but if you are not doing those things, why should you invoke those actions in the first place?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Where's Duke Nukem when you need him?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ok, here goes: could you give me an example of an application of the Hollow rules as described in the Urban Fantasy genre, at the beginning of the book?

I have sort of understood the rules regarding Pastoral and Gothic genres (even though I doubt they are enough to hold together a game on their own, but I assume this is going to be exanded upon later in the book) and why failing to connect with a living being causes Isolation, but I am not so sure what generates Hollow. It's supposed to happen when you invoke one of the Action XPs but fail to properly feel wonder or actually explore something new, if I am reading this correctly... but if you are not doing those things, why should you invoke those actions in the first place?

Okay, so. An Issue is basically a subplot counter. When the HG hands you your first Issue card, that's basically saying "Okay, it seems like you're starting on this character subplot. Each advance gives you advice on how to progress that plot and keeps you from forgetting about it.

Hollow is the subplot where you're following along with the plot, but... you aren't feeling it. The clues don't mean anything. There's not going to be anything at the end of the rainbow.

The answer to "why would I do that" is pretty much "because you decided on a meta level that you wanted to run that storyline." It also keeps you from getting stuck and not being able to take an XP action in that genre if you're currently short on engagement.

You can check out the Techno Player’s Guide for more details on DriveThru!

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is on topic enough for the off-topic thread, but my younger brother is teaching himself computer programming and he wants me to help him make a text based computer RPG. His main interest is just in working on the code and coming up with ways to handle the various systems and he just wants me there as the 'idea man' to come up with the plot and possible game mechanics, menu layouts and other stuff for him to program in.

Problem is that I haven't really played too many of those sorts of games and am a little at sea about what I should do for the plot. As far as I can tell its like a choose your own adventure book but with fighting, right? Anyone got any suggestions?

So far the only story idea that I have is a cliche reversal of the old as dirt plot where you are a recently deposed generic fantasy overlord trying to win back your kingdom after getting taken down by the local Chosen One who whooped your rear end with the power of friendship/heart/love/etc. You would wake up in a dungeon awaiting trial/inevitable execution for your many many crimes and have to escape.

That idea kinda sucks though so I am open to suggestions for something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead But Dreaming
Feb 15, 2012
If he's still learning, don't worry about the plot. You can just make something up and focus on the code. One's first game will be rubbish, same as with any hobby, and it's best not to get hung up on the details. Save the storytelling ambition for when he's got some experience.

Incidentally, the evil overlord thing worked for Wizardry 4 - and most old-school RPGs were just "there's a dungeon, go into it". Sounds good to me!

• Locked thread