Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

Even if the class average is better the Elite 10 are such outliers the trope can still apply.

No, I think I remember them saying at some point how "the highest score achieved last year (or some other year) was just 80-something!" during the tournament. I could be wrong, but if that is the case it sort of implies that the best of the first years are better than the best of most other years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
When I think of the next arc being a Stand Battle I mistakenly keep thinking that this manga is going to suddenly be better than it is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

No, I think I remember them saying at some point how "the highest score achieved last year (or some other year) was just 80-something!" during the tournament. I could be wrong, but if that is the case it sort of implies that the best of the first years are better than the best of most other years.

I believe they mentioned that some years no-one was even able to make it to a score of 80, but it wasn't specified that this applied to the last year of students.

The manga is pretty obviously telling the story that this year's selection of students are by average the best in the school's history though. It was mentioned only a few chapters ago that the amount of students who survived Stagiare week was like double that than what was expected, and for the Autumn Tournament the amount of students who got above 80 was way more than any previous years.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Even if the first years are better now than the current Elite 10 were at that stage of their careers, doesn't mean they're currently better than them. You probably don't get to be in the Elite 10 if you don't improve several orders of magnitude over a full year of training and experience.

If a rookie athlete has an exceptional first year, but is still outperformed in every way by the best veteran players, there's nothing silly about the vets saying 'You're not at my level yet, try again next year.'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I can see him trying to set up a Polar Star Dorm stand and using variety as his weapon. I'm also sure that barring some trademark Soma crazy bullshit, his best and only hope will be to make a smaller number of unique and very high quality dishes that he sells at an exorbitant price. He's simply not going to have the army of cooking goons able to make identical high-quality dishes, so he can't compete in volume.

Basically, I want Soma to come up with a $1,000 desert and use the insane opulence and wealth of everything even remotely associated with his school to his benefit. Or maybe he can sell the recipes to the dishes he comes up with, and count that as revenue from his stand? Anyway, this is a new type of challenge than just dish vs. dish, which is a nice change of pace, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

I expect it'll be the other way around where he figures out how to make mass quantities of a really cheap and amazing dish that keeps people coming back while using the Polar Star dorm to adjust things on the fly to adapt to some sort of twist in the situation (like missing/spoiled ingredients, drastic weather change, sudden changes in opponents' menus). Also I expect him to team up with an Elite 10 that isn't Isshiki.

Erina's the type to make a $1000 dish and think nothing of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pringleton posted:

Even if the first years are better now than the current Elite 10 were at that stage of their careers, doesn't mean they're currently better than them. You probably don't get to be in the Elite 10 if you don't improve several orders of magnitude over a full year of training and experience.

If a rookie athlete has an exceptional first year, but is still outperformed in every way by the best veteran players, there's nothing silly about the vets saying 'You're not at my level yet, try again next year.'

I didn't mean to say that any of the first years (except possibly Erina) are at the Elite 10's level yet, but that the current first years of Tootsuki are the most promising batch the school has ever had. Though I don't think that really means anything as of yet, other than that the contest for next member of the Elite 10 will probably be very heated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if there will ever even be a direct conflict between any of the first years and the third year Elite 10 members. I mean, once the third years graduate they're out of the picture (at least competitively). As a side note, I'm kind of happy that the seat 1 guy is kind of dorky, even it did end up being kind of predictable that he would be seat 1.

I'm very curious as to what direction this comic will take once Soma becomes a member of the Elite 10.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Soma were in the Elite 10 and has that money and power, I wonder what he would do with it.

Nothing, likely. My guess is that Yugioh's gimmick is that he abuses it that way. It doesn't seem like that many of them get that nuts about it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if there will ever even be a direct conflict between any of the first years and the third year Elite 10 members. I mean, once the third years graduate they're out of the picture (at least competitively). As a side note, I'm kind of happy that the seat 1 guy is kind of dorky, even it did end up being kind of predictable that he would be seat 1.

I'm very curious as to what direction this comic will take once Soma becomes a member of the Elite 10.

Considering the current Elite 10 second years are busy challenging the 3rd years, I assume Souma'd do the same.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Nothing, likely. My guess is that Yugioh's gimmick is that he abuses it that way. It doesn't seem like that many of them get that nuts about it.

Yeah I bet he pulls potential talent and completely breaks them down and turns them into machines who are just trained to work like robots with no innovation or creativity. For the sake of him being an elite 10 bigshot he just consumes and destroys dozens of amazing chefs who could've been good but not great and churns them out as line cooks.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mraagvpeine posted:

If Soma were in the Elite 10 and has that money and power, I wonder what he would do with it.

He'd probably feed more people his mistakes :v:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Latest popularity poll reinforces that yes, this manga runs in Jump, where they know what their audience likes.

1. Yukihira Soma (6451)
2. Nakiri Erina (5046)
3. Takumi Aldini (4918)
4. Tadokoro Megumi (2817)
5. Arato Hisako (1901)
6. Nakiri Alice (1900)
7. Shinomiya Kojiro (1882)
8. Hayama Akira (1720)
9. Nikumi (1462)
10. Isshiki (1422)

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

vibratingsheep posted:

2. Nakiri Erina (5046)

4. Tadokoro Megumi (2817)
5. Arato Hisako (1901)
6. Nakiri Alice (1900)

Jump audience confirmed (yet again) for poo poo taste :colbert:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Character development? Nah, tsundere ojou please.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow. I was not expecting Soma to win, I expected him to win 3rd underneath the fanboy's favourite and the fangirl's favourite. Also, it's good to see Arato making it into the top 5, she's only really had like a 3 chapter arc focusing on her, but I think she's cool and has potential and i'm glad others do as well.

The real travesty is that Akira and Nikumi are in the top 10 instead of more deserving characters like Kurokiba or the Polar Star dudes, or Hinako. They're just not that cool.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've noticed that characters that stop hanging out with Erina and start hanging out with Souma instantly become better characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Compendium posted:

Character development? Nah, tsundere ojou please.

When anime/manga/otaku culture was being first exported to America, weren't the most popular female protagonists the quiet ladylike traditional Japanese woman in Japan proper, but in America the loud, aggressive, outspoken female characters were clearly favored?

It's funny now that its reversed. Aldini being third is only because (according to past posters) there are a ton of Soma/Aldini shippers. So technically when you remove the gay sex fetishists and the well known "Jump readers love angry blonde princesses" Megumi ranking is actually #1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I've noticed that characters that stop hanging out with Erina and start hanging out with Souma instantly become better characters.

Alice was pretty great from the get-go i'll have you know.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The result of lots of votes change if you remove people who have different opinions from you from them. Weird, that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alice was pretty great from the get-go i'll have you know.

I don't think Alice ever really hung out with Erina though?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I don't think Alice ever really hung out with Erina though?

She had her first few scenes with Erina, which I thought was enough to qualify because otherwise the only character who really spends time with her is Arato. Which you know, isn't enough to really make a trend.

Erina just doesn't really hang out with anyone since she has so little meaningful screentime, and that her whole plotline seems to be about while all the other cooks are competing with each other and becoming better she's stagnating by herself since she doesn't interact with anyone.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Are we expecting Erina's storyline to be one similar to Peco from Ping pong, ala talent only gets you so far, you need to refine that skill too?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She had her first few scenes with Erina, which I thought was enough to qualify because otherwise the only character who really spends time with her is Arato. Which you know, isn't enough to really make a trend.

Erina just doesn't really hang out with anyone since she has so little meaningful screentime, and that her whole plotline seems to be about while all the other cooks are competing with each other and becoming better she's stagnating by herself since she doesn't interact with anyone.

you fogot nikumi

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And hey, it should say something that literally no one seems to be hanging out with her once all 2 of Erina's friends/subordinates ended up getting busy with other things.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

pentyne posted:

When anime/manga/otaku culture was being first exported to America, weren't the most popular female protagonists the quiet ladylike traditional Japanese woman in Japan proper, but in America the loud, aggressive, outspoken female characters were clearly favored?

It's funny now that its reversed. Aldini being third is only because (according to past posters) there are a ton of Soma/Aldini shippers. So technically when you remove the gay sex fetishists and the well known "Jump readers love angry blonde princesses" Megumi ranking is actually #1.

Does gay sex count as a fetish?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She interacts with them, she just gets ridiculously slow meaningful character development because she is never actually in the manga (note: the next chapter has her in it a lot, actually).

Then again, Soma is pretty much just as bad - he has a harem of girls, none of which he notices at all and his character hasn't really changed beyond vaguely saying he wants to do something more meaningful than defeat his dad in a food contest (which doesn't change anything he does, he's been trying to challenge the E10 since Chapter 12).

At this rate, the ending will be Soma and Erina married with kids but she'll still be trying to get him fired from his job as Totsuki instructor because there's no place for his B-class commoner food at Totsuki.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 5, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paragon1 posted:

you fogot nikumi

Nikumi had literally one scene with Erina. And she remains a bad character.

Angry Grimace posted:

She interacts with them, she just gets ridiculously slow meaningful character development because she is never actually in the manga (note: the next chapter has her in it a lot, actually).

Then again, Soma is pretty much just as bad - he has a harem of girls, none of which he notices at all and his character hasn't really changed beyond vaguely saying he wants to do something more meaningful than defeat his dad in a food contest (which doesn't change anything he does, he's been trying to challenge the E10 since Chapter 12).

At this rate, the ending will be Soma and Erina married with kids but she'll still be trying to get him fired from his job as Totsuki instructor because there's no place for his B-class commoner food at Totsuki.

She really doesn't interact with many characters. I can only really remember her having meaningful scenes with like Soma, Arato, Alice, and recently Megumi, because as you said, she's barely in the manga.

And people keep bringing up Soma's harem but honestly it's more like a love triangle. (a bad one, as are all love triangles, but still) I mean sure, its 3 people but Nikumi's unimportant, and unlike all harem's i've seen Megumi has a lot of characterisation outside of the romance and most of her interactions with Soma are not romantic or even potentially romantic in nature.

You're right about Soma's goals and attitude having not really changed, but he's still grown and developed mostly in the area of cooking. The whole arc at Shinomiya's was for him to learn his own 'specialty' and assert his cooking as his own thing and not a derivative of his father. And cooking is the most significant part of the manga, so i'd consider that an important change.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Does gay sex count as a fetish?

Poor choice of words, the fetish is people(woman) becoming obsessed with the idea of 2 seemingly straight male characters being insanely gay for each other.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New chapter

Ha ha ha, that final page :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dude expected risk but not that much risk. :v:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I can't wait to get some Cooking Master Boy references in the Chinese cooking montage.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Everything else in this academy has the chance to expel you so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we see the festival does it too. In fact wasn't it noted that the autumn elections not expelling you was a breath of fresh air.

Admoon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 8, 2015

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admoon posted:

Everything else in this academy has the chance to expel you so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we see the festival does it too. In fact wasn't it noted that the autumn festival not expelling you was a breath of fresh air.

It's happened so many times that it's now the running cliche of this entire series. Also since it's the protagonist that is always under this threat, it's even less likely to happen because of plot armor, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Furious Lobster posted:

It's happened so many times that it's now the running cliche of this entire series. Also since it's the protagonist that is always under this threat, it's even less likely to happen because of plot armor, etc.

To be fair, everyone in the school is under threat of expulsion. It's just that, as you said, Soma's the protagonist, so he gets the most focus.

Compared to a lot of the other stuff, this threat seems really simple anyway. If he wants to even come close to competing with Kuga he's going to want to turn a profit anyway, and if he's actually going to beat him he'll need to do a lot more than that. So this barely seems like a problem. It's still pretty excessive for what is a school festival though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I suppose this also keeps rich students from gaming the system too much by offering super expensive food for 1 yen or whatever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

People keep saying "well maybe he'll struggle to break even and not come close to beating Kuga, thus making the stipulation relevant." But, alas, no its not going to be relevant. Spending time having Soma struggle to stay afloat wouldn't be a useful way to spend 20 chapters. Seriously - what does this manga gain if Soma sucks and doesn't even compete at all? This is the Naruto fighting Neji part. He'll just win on a gimmick, which is almost certainly going to be finding a weakness in Kuga's "10 million guys" strategy, e.g. he'll do something like serve 1/10th of Kuga's plates, but still make more money because Kuga's system has way more overhead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Like mentioned in the chapter, he plans to exploit the invariably long line that'll form at Kuga's booth. He'll probably figure out other flaws to exploit as well or start changing things up based on the booths around him. I'm guessing that the other surrounding booths might come up as a plot point. Possibly, they couldn't find room in other location and had to be next to Kuga so Souma enlists their help in exchange for some of the profits.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
This is your semi-regular reminder that, drat the plot, Japanese ota-money speaks louder than any of us do.

http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-011962&page=top

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

People keep saying "well maybe he'll struggle to break even and not come close to beating Kuga, thus making the stipulation relevant." But, alas, no its not going to be relevant. Spending time having Soma struggle to stay afloat wouldn't be a useful way to spend 20 chapters. Seriously - what does this manga gain if Soma sucks and doesn't even compete at all? This is the Naruto fighting Neji part. He'll just win on a gimmick, which is almost certainly going to be finding a weakness in Kuga's "10 million guys" strategy, e.g. he'll do something like serve 1/10th of Kuga's plates, but still make more money because Kuga's system has way more overhead.

Based on the other cooking manga that had a Chinese food section (Hell's Kitchen) Soma is going to put on a showy spectacle and putting out great food, not at Kuga's level but enough that people walking by will get drawn into the display and people waiting endlessly in line for Kuga would say "holy poo poo that smells and looks amazing I must try it"

Frying in a wok can look really impressive if you're really good at it, and because of the insanely high heat the aromas get pretty strong.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Soma's I AM ERROR face at the end :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Based on the other cooking manga that had a Chinese food section (Hell's Kitchen) Soma is going to put on a showy spectacle and putting out great food, not at Kuga's level but enough that people walking by will get drawn into the display and people waiting endlessly in line for Kuga would say "holy poo poo that smells and looks amazing I must try it"

Frying in a wok can look really impressive if you're really good at it, and because of the insanely high heat the aromas get pretty strong.

It seems like there's no way he could actually win with that strategy, though; he still wouldn't be able to serve people faster than Kuga.