Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Count Uvula posted:

Is 3 mains the cap for all the abilities that can stack?

You get 1 main and then 3 subs that don't *really* matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

noirstronaut posted:

That's not what he's asking. He's wondering about stacking abilities, not ability slots on gear. I don't know the answer though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, how much towards the 50% cap does one main runspeed ability give? Is it consistent between abilities?
Judging by the test firing range, 3 primary Defenses probably caps out your defense.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It seems your best bet for equipment is unique perks that aren't simple things like damage/defense up or ink saving stuff. Ink walking resistance, ninja jumps, recon, etc.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gameko posted:

I would buy a wiiu just for this game but I swear it'll be devoid of players within two months. At least...such is my fear.

Quit being such a loving coward

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I just finished single player. 2005 called, it wants its aesthetic back.

I kid, it was great. And so was X Play.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
any goons wanna gently caress around and get shoot tonight

nnid is my username ingame name is FATHER so you can know when you got sonned

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gameko posted:

I would buy a wiiu just for this game but I swear it'll be devoid of players within two months. At least...such is my fear.

If that's the case then you should've already bought it. What are you waiting for TIME'S A WASTING

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If only I was able to get 2 solid months of AAA gameplay out of Splatoon.

Alas.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Strike while the Spongebob memes are hot, I say.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Who's Smash Bro

He keeps showing up in my lobby so I can only assume it's one of you guys :v:. Just had a round of 15-1 with the aerospray. That gun is just too strong. Was using the roller earlier for shits and giggles but the current rotation makes rolling a nightmare.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

N Zap is essentially a SPJr with the Bubble which is pretty OP when used in opportune moments. Hell, you can even become a bitch boy and get Ninja Squid and Ink Resistance on at the same time and effectively spray turf and then disappear after using it.

Its a Splattypuff Jr with zero floor painting ability. The Splattershot Jr is effectively 90% of a roller when you want it to be

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
From a few pages back but what makes motion controls better than dual stick? I turned it off almost immediately but maybe I was too hasty. Is it something that you guys would want in other console shooters now?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The last few nights I've been discovering the wonderful world of Roller Stealth. Creep around, be defensive, never let 'em see you until you're ready to pop up and drop the hammer. Reminds me of my old Ambush Pyro days in TF2, only I don't suck at it like I did in TF2.

Only really works in Turf War, but god it's fun. It's also good for stages like the skatepark where you don't really want to be rolling everywhere. You play more of a support role and pick off enemies that extend themselves too far in your territory (or just happen to have their back to your ink).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

prom candy posted:

From a few pages back but what makes motion controls better than dual stick? I turned it off almost immediately but maybe I was too hasty. Is it something that you guys would want in other console shooters now?

I'd want it on something like the Gamepad. It just feels natural after awhile, but dual stick controls feel a bit disjointed since the controller itself is the size of a tablet.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

raditts posted:

Quit being such a loving coward

i'm afraid of ranked battles.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anime Curator posted:

i'm afraid of ranked battles.
I, also. I'm a B- and I wanna stay that way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have more fun with splat zones than turf war though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How are people level 25 already? I think I just hit level 7 and got that old nintendo light gun thing.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Oxxidation posted:

Strike while the Spongebob memes are hot, I say.

Are you feeling it now Mr Krabs?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want Squidward's shirt as DLC

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

prom candy posted:

After playing a lot of first and third person shooters for various platforms I feel that something like this is how I'd rank control schemes: Mouse and keyboard > Wii Remote pointer >> Gyro Aiming >>> Twin Stick.

I wish that the pointer controls didn't fall by the wayside since the Wii U came out because they performed very well in Resident Evil IV, The Conduit, Metroid Prime 3, and others. If it was an option it would be the superior choice in Splatoon. It took me some time to get used to it, but the motion controls perform okay as a substitute. Twin Sticks should always go gently caress themselves because they need aiming assistance to be anywhere close to usable, and that doesn't exist in Splatoon.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I have more fun with splat zones than turf war though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How are people level 25 already? I think I just hit level 7 and got that old nintendo light gun thing.

Simple: you git gud.

Nah, but seriously, if your winning average is around 1000 points (which is very easy to get to once you learn the game a bit) it becomes easy to get levels over time, like right now I'm at level 16, for level 17 i need 22K so that'd be 22 matches, lets say my average is under 1000 due to losing matches and stuff and so I end up needing 26 matches to finish my level. That's 78 minutes, plus some lobby time lets go ahead and say i need an hour and a half to get from level 16 to 17, that's a session right there and the levels beforehand needed way less points, and the game's been out for a week, so sinking somewhere around 15 hours during 7 days to reach the level cap seems possible. Less time if you're more skilled, even even less if you're good at Splatzones which gives 18K points if you win by a knockout.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wait was there a patch? I'm level 20 and it says MAX

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I wish Splatoon had that artificial randomness that iTunes or whatever has.

I'm only bitching about it because I kePT GETTING PAiRED WITH THE SAME DUMBASSES THAT COST ME MY loving B- GODMMIT

Splatoon is ruining my life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel you, I'm only just unlocking ranked battles.

Some people have no jobs, I guess :cheeky:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

prom candy posted:

Dual stick sucks really hard and is very imprecise, which is why most console shooters have autoaim. You can be more precise with gyro, which is the reason splatoon does not have autoaim.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Worst Girl posted:

I'm only bitching about it because I kePT GETTING PAiRED WITH THE SAME DUMBASSES THAT COST ME MY loving B- GODMMIT

Pick Quit instead of Continue, or it groups you with them again.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Looking at fanart is going to destroy me because I will want all the crossover costumes to be real.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

All I want is the ability to choose what ink colors I can be. Why is this not a thing? I don't mean color lock, I mean an option to select out of all available colors my team can be and which ones the enemy team can be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tengames posted:

All I want is the ability to choose what ink colors I can be. Why is this not a thing? I don't mean color lock, I mean an option to select out of all available colors my team can be and which ones the enemy team can be.

I wouldn't mind an option to just lock your colour appearance to your favourite and let the others rotate as normal either.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Tengames posted:

We don't discriminate between colours. :sharpton:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The graffiti is one of the most clever ideas I've seen in a game recently.

Worst Girl posted:

Sometimes I quit ranked battle just because I see someone truly awful in the lobby. I saw a person using the golden roller, and all they did was throw bombs and flick ink until they got an ink strike. Did they do this on the zone? Of course not. They stood on some random ledge and spammed all their ink there. Some people are so worthless they might as well not even be there.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 5, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I ran into a couple games that had significant lag today. It was not a pleasant experience. Ground not being painted when you shoot at it, enemies teleporting around, spontaneously exploding somehow due to the guy you killed 10 seconds ago...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Looking at fanart is going to destroy me because I will want all the crossover costumes to be real.

I dont know whats sadder: never geetting jotaro's hat in splatoon or that if it did get into the game is main skill would attack up so id never wear it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pick Quit instead of Continue, or it groups you with them again.
Wait, really? poo poo, I could have done better to preserve my rank. Ah well. I think I'm gonna learn how to use the gyro controls, and then start working on my .52 gal game. I love the aerospray, but the only reason I'm good with it in ranked is just because it's the only weapon I'm not terrible with.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I see a lot of people going on about the aerospray but everyone forgets how poo poo the range is on those weapons. It works great on some maps/modes but other times some smart rear end like me with a squelcher pick you all off at range and not poo poo you can do about it. So don't buy the hype, learn your distances and punish people when you catch them coming up short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I would never be in a one on one with a Squelcher at a long distance unless I was sacrificing myself to get you killed and my respawn sooner so someone else can take over your area while I paint the area that you were protecting.

• Locked thread