Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

xthetenth posted:

The 750Ti's entire gimmick is being the most powerful card that doesn't need any power source other than the connection to the motherboard, so if you can't get a new PSU because the motherboard connector is proprietary, it's the best pick.

The 750Ti still recommends that you have a power supply rated for up to 300 watts peak power output, but as other people have mentioned you can now just swap out your OEM power supply for a better ATX power supply unless you've got one of those compact desktop enclosure Dells.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

MREBoy posted:

ok so where are you folks going to pull up these per ship damage stats ? Something in-client or a 3rd party website ?

Go to the main world of warships page, highlight over your name in the top right, then click my profile.

On the 3rd tab there is a list of ship types you can expand and see all the ship stats.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xthetenth posted:

The 750Ti's entire gimmick is being the most powerful card that doesn't need any power source other than the connection to the motherboard, so if you can't get a new PSU because the motherboard connector is proprietary, it's the best pick.

Ahh I have looked at theb stopped looking at a psu update because I had read that their mobos use a proprietary connector. Maybe ill grab a Better psu (stock is 300w) and card then.

Its a full tower when I got it I made sure I wasnt going to have to deal with slim form factor crap that need slim cards and has no room for drives.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tater_salad posted:

Ahh I have looked at theb stopped looking at a psu update because I had read that their mobos use a proprietary connector. Maybe ill grab a Better psu (stock is 300w) and card then.

Its a full tower when I got it I made sure I wasnt going to have to deal with slim form factor crap that need slim cards and has no room for drives.

Yeah, years ago Dell used to use an alternate pin-out for their PSUs - I found it out the hard way when I plugged in a 400W into my old 1998-era tower and only smelled burning plastic in addition to the system not powering on - thankfully it didn't damage anything. Had to buy a specially-wired Silencer unit from PC Power & Cooling at a premium. But now they're just using standard ATX.

Since I can't PM you, you're in luck - the 750Ti is on sale at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

tater_salad posted:

Main thing to check I think would be the motherboard power connector.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So did the mini patch break Aslain's mod or can I just reinstall it?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I bit the bullet for :science: and WoWs DOES run on my MacBook, Intel hd4000 and all. There is a tiny amount of stutter, but it is playable on very low settings. Currently on the Phoenix! :woop:

Now to get my gaming rig shipped across the country. :negative:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Am I wrong in thinking the Furutaka is a gigantic piece of poo poo? I wish I unlocked the Aoba with the old tier 4 instead of this worthless thing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I wonder if they fixed the pyromania retraining thing. I don't even know if it was real but while my Hatsuharu commander was retraining I consistently did loads of fire damage. Whenever I play this game next I guess I'll retrain him again for :science:
Also I don't know what wargaming did but the Hatsuharu is fun now. It's nice to have worthwhile guns and the torpedoes aren't as bad as they used to be. If you fight bad players in US destroyers (most of them) you can win gun duels thanks to the higher shell velocity.

CitizenKain posted:

Am I wrong in thinking the Furutaka is a gigantic piece of poo poo? I wish I unlocked the Aoba with the old tier 4 instead of this worthless thing.
It's really awkward. You can beat Omahas consistently if you only fight one on one and control the range and angle carefully. Otherwise it has a hard time accomplishing much. I don't know why it doesn't even get the final configuration, with 3x2 instead of 6x1 guns. It's not like it needs lovely firing arcs on top of the low volume of fire and glacial gun traverse.
There's nothing about the ship that justifies having less effective damage per minute than a Kongo, except I guess that ~battleships were historically the most useful ships in wwii.~

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 5, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

James Garfield posted:

I wonder if they fixed the pyromania retraining thing. I don't even know if it was real but while my Hatsuharu commander was retraining I consistently did loads of fire damage. Whenever I play this game next I guess I'll retrain him again for :science:
Also I don't know what wargaming did but the Hatsuharu is fun now. It's nice to have worthwhile guns and the torpedoes aren't as bad as they used to be. If you fight bad players in US destroyers (most of them) you can win gun duels thanks to the higher shell velocity.

It's really awkward. You can beat Omahas consistently if you only fight one on one and control the range and angle carefully. Otherwise it has a hard time accomplishing much. I don't know why it doesn't even get the final configuration, with 3x2 instead of 6x1 guns. It's not like it needs lovely firing arcs on top of the low volume of fire and glacial gun traverse.
There's nothing about the ship that justifies having less effective damage per minute than a Kongo, except I guess that ~battleships were historically the most useful ships in wwii.~

Yea, if I can control the range I'm fighting at and everyone is kind enough to show up on the correct side of the ship, it can actually lay out damage. Provided shells land somewhat near were they are supposed to, which seems to be a pretty huge issue with this.
If the turrets could actually turn in a slightly more reasonable fashion, I don't think it would be too bad.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The New Mexico is wonderful, first battle in it I get ocean and have the poo poo kicked out of me by heavy cruisers that can shoot further

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

The New Mexico is wonderful, first battle in it I get ocean and have the poo poo kicked out of me by heavy cruisers that can shoot further

Yes, a module fit New Mexico gets outranged by all the cruisers that have 17km or more range such as the

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

Yes, a module fit New Mexico gets outranged by all the cruisers that have 17km or more range such as the

It was a stock New Mexico, on account of being my first battle in it and all, saving the free xp to get out of the Hosho horrow show.

Even with the upgrade it's short, and just like in tanks any bote that has mandatory equipment upgrades just to do its job is not a good bote. Equipment should be to make ships better at something, not make them just scrape into playable.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Stock US Battleships get out ranged by Cruisers (apart from Atlanta) until you hit Colorado (Tier 7). Meanwhile Japanese Battleships enjoy long range from lower tiers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So did the mini patch break Aslain's mod or can I just reinstall it?

Yes, re-install it as a 'clean install' and it works fine.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So a Kongo wrecks a half health Kuma with a broadside, and the Kuma driver complains that it was BS since "that was on the nose of the ship, where it has the heaviest armor."

First of all, no. Second, you're in a loving Kuma. Destroyers can citadel you with HE. WG should have never taken out the armor values in the port screen.

edit: just watched a North Carolina with ~50k health ram a Nagato with 5k health. Of course they both died. :psyduck:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

First of all, no. Second, you're in a loving Kuma. Destroyers can citadel you with HE. WG should have never taken out the armor values in the port screen.

If you want vehicle stats, go and play Microsoft Excel, minmax autist :smugbert: :wargaming:

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

If you want vehicle stats, go and play Microsoft Excel, minmax autist :smugbert: :wargaming:
This is a great suggestion and I actually did this.

Edit:
Here's an Excel chart showing the position of the player's boat every 100 packets in a World of Warships replay.

Generalissimo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 5, 2015

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Generalissimo posted:

This is a great suggestion and I actually did this.

Edit:
Here's an Excel chart showing the position of the player's boat every 100 packets in a World of Warships replay.

Not dickbutt: disappointing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

demonR6 posted:

Yes, re-install it as a 'clean install' and it works fine.
Do you know if there's a working perma-alt mod out for the latest patch?I don't really care for fancy UIs and crosshairs and all I want is to not have to hold alt the whole time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Do you know if there's a working perma-alt mod out for the latest patch?I don't really care for fancy UIs and crosshairs and all I want is to not have to hold alt the whole time.

Hold alt, then hit numpad enter, and release alt and hit enter again to get rid of the chat prompt. Bam, perma-alt until you hit enter again.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Insert name here posted:

Alsain's mod pack has it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Playing New York is giving me cancer. It's so loving frustrating how the shells spread everywhere despite shooting at enemy 3 km off. It either flies into the sky or kicks water ffs :argh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

orange juche posted:

Hold alt, then hit numpad enter, and release alt and hit enter again to get rid of the chat prompt. Bam, perma-alt until you hit enter again.
Actually it turns off if you tap alt again which I have a tendency to do while playing. Thankfully it's a non-issue now, thanks demon.

Aesis posted:

Playing New York is giving me cancer. It's so loving frustrating how the shells spread everywhere despite shooting at enemy 3 km off. It either flies into the sky or kicks water ffs :argh:
This is pretty much a fact of life when battleshipping, get used to it. :smith: It's not so bad from the 3x turrets but it happens all the drat time from any ship that has 2x turrets.

Speaking of frustrating I hopped into a Kawachi again because I needed to get XP to get a Hosho and :nallears:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I don't mind missing shots at 10+ km but I loving expect at least half to hit within 3 km. It's just infuriating how the shots just miss Destroyers or Cruisers and they just circle you around for kill because secondaries are useless as well. And yes I had to play at close range because all my team mates were either useless and ran or died.

e: Just got New Mexico, accuracy seems to be only slightly better. Still can't shoot past 5 km without expecting shells to spread so much.
e2: Also what ammo do I use? I've been using AP but the damage has been pretty much 1,050 apart from 1 or 2 lucky RNG to citadel. And yes I've been shooting at citadel, so it's a matter of hitting first instead of spreading everywhere. I just can't use New Mexico because it has poo poo accuracy, poo poo penetration and poo poo damage. Last game for example, 28 hits 18 penetrations and only 24,718 damage :psyduck: It took me 10 hits to sink a New Orleans with 5,000 hp.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 6, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aesis posted:

e2: Also what ammo do I use?

Target - Destroyer: Use HE at all ranges

Target - Cruiser: Long range (ie long enough for shells to plunge downwards), use AP, short range, use HE

Target - Battleship of similar tier: Long range, use AP, short range, use AP and aim for the waterline beneath turrets (i think). Alternative is to alternate between AP and HE to get a good amount of fires going and turrets wrecked while still having some citadel chances

Target - Battleship of much higher tier: Use HE at all ranges

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Aesis posted:

Pffft. Battleship scrubs :smug:
I don't have those kind of problems in cruisers. Load AP, broadside enemy cruiser, RIP in two volleys.

But honestly, it gets a bit better with the New Mexico.
A bit.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I'm just going to put it out there that while the Kongo was a decent BB the Fuso with its twelve guns is ridiculous.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

NTRabbit posted:

Target - Destroyer: Use HE at all ranges

Target - Cruiser: Long range (ie long enough for shells to plunge downwards), use AP, short range, use HE

Target - Battleship of similar tier: Long range, use AP, short range, use AP and aim for the waterline beneath turrets (i think). Alternative is to alternate between AP and HE to get a good amount of fires going and turrets wrecked while still having some citadel chances

Target - Battleship of much higher tier: Use HE at all ranges

I'm very new to the game, just started playing thursday, but it SEEMS like HE is better for every thing right now. I always seem to get lit on fire and the damage seems to be comparable.

A few small things of note, why isn't there a "compare stats to current ship thing" when you mouse over a ship in the tech tree? It seems like a no brainer so you can plan out what you want to drive in the future. Why can't i move my ships around into different orders in port? I'd like to be able to hide ships i'm not going to be using, but not selling off screen or something. Also the gun sounds are not anywhere NEAR as powerful as i would imagine, it sort of feels like i'm shooting a pea shooter sometimes. When a tank rolled by or shot in battlefield 3 you could really HEAR how terrifiying it was, and these guns are much bigger.

Other then that, i'm having a ton of fun. This is much more finished and polished then i would have assumed from a beta. I love the fact you have to constantly move around and do stuff in this, its like an anti camper game. I had more fun in my first mission here then i did in the 4 or so hours i tried world of tanks just due to not having to hide in bushes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Did the aim assist mod get disabled, as per wargaming's promise, or is still available?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

pun pundit posted:

Did the aim assist mod get disabled, as per wargaming's promise, or is still available?

It's gone forever until someone finds a new way to make an aimbot.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

evil_cheese posted:

I'm very new to the game, just started playing thursday, but it SEEMS like HE is better for every thing right now. I always seem to get lit on fire and the damage seems to be comparable.

He was replying to someone talking about the New York battleship. With cruisers, you generally only want to use AP when shooting at another cruiser or battleship at long range, but 100% HE is also a good choice (especially with smaller, rapid firing guns). With destroyers it's HE all day, every day.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pun pundit posted:

New York is terrible, next one isn't much of an improvement. The Kongo felt much better.

Aim assist chat, there is already something out there but it's a paid mod but gently caress if I am paying money for a crutch, it does not guarantee hits. Find me in Teamspeak and I'll help you with an alternative.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is anyone else getting a survey box pop up after each game? I have it but when I click it. it just takes me to the directory that my game is installed in.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

demonR6 posted:

New York is terrible, next one isn't much of an improvement. The Kongo felt much better.

Aim assist chat, there is already something out there but it's a paid mod but gently caress if I am paying money for a crutch, it does not guarantee hits. Find me in Teamspeak and I'll help you with an alternative.

The Kongo is really heads and shoulders above its competitor. Better range, same guns, better speed and maneuverability. No idea how the protection measures up but if you play it right he never gets to shoot at you anyway.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Burt posted:

Is anyone else getting a survey box pop up after each game? I have it but when I click it. it just takes me to the directory that my game is installed in.

Yes, leave me the gently caress alone and send me an email WG.. Jesus.

Also was anyone getting really bad FPS recently? Last night it was in the teens.. nothing changed on my pc.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The survey thing is a mod from Aslain's

edit: my thoughts on the Atlanta:

Burno fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 6, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo you just up and sold it? People like that ship though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I never sell a premium, you never know when changes are going to make it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

NTRabbit posted:

I never sell a premium, you never know when changes are going to make it good

You get all your stuff back when open beta starts.