Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yeah but but did you see how thuggish he was with those ear phones and his hands lifting up his own shirt while walking backwards-all of which occurred within the span of a few seconds before he was justifiably shot twice??!?!

Hands didn't go into the air quickly enough even when you absolutely innocent of any wrong doing? DEATH SENTENCE/STREET JUSTICE, your brave heroes indeed.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its almost like there are some people in this thread who think there are no actual criminals in the world, and if we just take away all cops guns and give them batons like some northern European country, everything will just sort itself out.

My other favorite is the, "DOING XXX AT NIGHT DOESN'T MEAN YOU DESERVE TO DIE." chant. Like any of these discussions are about whether someone 'deserved' to die.

Everyone knows, and everyone should know that when dealing with the police, you shut up and do what you're told, and I'm sorry you don't like that but thats the power we have to give them so they can do their jobs. The laws that protect you do so by preventing you from being convicted if they fail to respect your rights. You don't get to ignore their commands. If the foregoing causes a swelling of nerd rage, its because you just wanna do whatever you want and I'm a big boy, and you can't tell me what to do, dad!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

People aren't perfect automatons though and we should allow for that. Which you do, when the guy is a property owner and has a gun, then all his bad decisions and poor judgment are "but he had that right", a benefit of the doubt the victims don't get because exercising their rights is stupid and they should have known it would get them killed.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
36 seconds is all it took for an innocent man to be killed for not reacting quickly enough in broad daylight. blarzgh, your argument is absolutely stupid because everyone is assumed to be innocent until proven otherwise and in this case surprise surprise the victim is innocent and was also unarmed.

Police approaching an innocent man from behind and murdering him within 36 seconds is totally "doing their jobs".

Lest not forget Taylor is absolutely innocent, it's broad daylight, and he is shot within seconds of the murderer approaching him from behind. Taylor broke no laws, he was simply listening to music while walking down a sidewalk, but you know, whatevs...

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Everyone knows, and everyone should know that when dealing with the police, you shut up and do what you're told, and I'm sorry you don't like that but thats the power we have to give them so they can do their jobs. The laws that protect you do so by preventing you from being convicted if they fail to respect your rights. You don't get to ignore their commands. If the foregoing causes a swelling of nerd rage, its because you just wanna do whatever you want and I'm a big boy, and you can't tell me what to do, dad!

So what happens when people shut up, do as they're told, and still get abused and/or murdered? Because you're acting like that isn't happening.

Again, though, you're defending the murder of unarmed people with no cause for killing other than "He looked like he might have been preparing to pull out a gun." You're defending the killing of unarmed, potentially innocent people who simply act suspicious without needing to confirm that any kind of threat is present.

Like, are you seriously not considering that you might just be the bad guy in this story?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's pretty lovely that people are so afraid that they think others are out to kill them all the time.

blarzgh posted:

Everyone knows, and everyone should know that when dealing with the police, you shut up and do what you're told, and I'm sorry you don't like that but thats the power we have to give them so they can do their jobs.

I don't seem to remember the thing that says the punishment for failure to follow the orders of a police officer is death. Can you point that out for me?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

36 seconds is all it took for an innocent man to be killed for not reacting quickly enough in broad daylight. blarzgh, your argument is absolutely stupid because everyone is assumed to be innocent until proven otherwise and in this case surprise surprise the victim is innocent and was also unarmed.

A tragedy indeed. Poor kid made a mistake and it cost him his life.

I don't know if you're one of the European goons, so I won't judge you for having a deeply flawed understanding of the US justice system, but the presumption of innocence is part of the prosecution phase, not the enforcement phase.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's pretty lovely that people are so afraid that they think others are out to kill them all the time.

Like the Police?

Dum Cumpster posted:

I don't seem to remember the thing that says the punishment for failure to follow the orders of a police officer is death. Can you point that out for me?

Being intentionally obtuse is really charming.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's not written anywhere, we all just know that it is, therefore doing it is suicidal and dumb and there's no problem.

Sort of like how insulting a mobster is just stupid and how can you blame the mobster for murdering you when you're being stupid?

And you can't deny that the more crimes we make subject to summary execution in the enforcement phase, the better the deterrent will be, why do you want to encourage crime?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

blarzgh posted:

I don't know if you're one of the European goons, so I won't judge you for having a deeply flawed understanding of the US justice system, but the presumption of innocence is part of the prosecution phase, not the enforcement phase.

He made no mistakes he did nothing wrong he was only listening to music but you sick people will still bend over backwards defending murder by cop. You are disgusting.

The only person to make a "mistake" is the murderer. Everyone should be able to walk down a sidewalk listening to music without having to be in fear of a sneak attack by police.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Like, are you seriously not considering that you might just be the bad guy in this story?

I'm the bad guy in alot of stories; if disagreeing with all of you because I believe it isn't the system thats broken, but rather that humanity is inherently hosed up and there will always be tragedies makes me your "bad guy" then thats cool.

You all say, "We need to change something! Change the law because I hate cops!" I'm only disagreeing with you about the thing that needs to be changed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

He made no mistakes he did nothing wrong he was only listening to music but you sick people will still bend over backwards defending murder by cop. You are disgusting.

The only person to make a "mistake" is the murderer.

He didn't follow the direct orders of an armed police officer. That was the mistake. You can't take away the police's right to enforce the law and expect to have a society afterwards. Its just really childish and short sighted.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

blarzgh posted:

Like the Police?

Like everyone that carries a gun with them but this weirdo, apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZcY45gTwQA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

blarzgh posted:

He didn't follow the direct orders of an armed police officer. That was the mistake. You can't take away the police's right to enforce the law and expect to have a society afterwards. Its just really childish and short sighted.

"Right to enforce the law" does not include shooting unarmed people in the back because they make vaguely alarming hand motions, you freak.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
People reacting negatively to an unarmed innocent man being shot and killed by the police is the normal reaction. Bending over backwards to justify the murder of unarmed innocent men listening to music is the actions of a sick and twisted individual.

He barely had 36 seconds to assess and react to a surprising situation but of course the blame lies with the man that is guilty of nothing and is armed only with earphones (in his ears).

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 5, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

"Right to enforce the law" does not include shooting unarmed people in the back because they make vaguely alarming hand motions, you freak.

I know you're omniscient, so please enlighten us on everything in the hearts and minds of every person that was there. The post from earlier made it pretty clear the cops were there on a call about an armed suspect, and the officer reacted in what he believed to be defense of his own life.

If you think he is wrong or lying, please tell me why.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
36 seconds is all it takes for a cop to find fault in your actions and kill you. The police in your country and people like you are disgusting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm so sick and twisted because I'm not a hard-line neo-liberal anarchist, and because I think there's more than one side to every story and because I accept that I'm in no better position than you twits to pass judgment on a split second of life experienced by 5 people thousands of miles away.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

blarzgh posted:

I'm so sick and twisted because I'm not a hard-line neo-liberal anarchist, and because I think there's more than one side to every story and because I accept that I'm in no better position than you twits to pass judgment on a split second of life experienced by 5 people thousands of miles away.

Not wanting police to murder innocent people is totally being an anarchist... are you literally retarded? Remember 36 seconds is all it takes for this sick fucker. Are you stupid enough to actually think not wanting the police to behave like they were in some street war means the dismantling of the entire structure of society?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2015

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Agrajag posted:

Not wanting police to murder innocent people is totally being an anarchist... are you literally retarded? Remember 36 seconds is all it takes for this sick fucker.

i really don't know hat this means.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

blarzgh posted:

You're sick and twisted and you don't know what neoliberal means

Agrajag posted:

36 seconds is all it takes for a cop to find fault in your actions and kill you. The police in your country and people like you are disgusting.

36 seconds if you're lucky. If you're a person of color holding a toy gun you get less than two.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

The officer didn't find "fault", the kid didn't do anything "wrong", nobody decided that anybody else "deserved to die." A mistake was made, and it cost someone their life. And you two making it some political bullshit is the most tragic, and disgusting loving thing in this thread.

"Oh goody! Another young black man got shot! Now I can stroke my flaccid anarchist weiner some more on the internet." You guys really are pathetic.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

blarzgh posted:

The officer didn't find "fault", the kid didn't do anything "wrong", nobody decided that anybody else "deserved to die." A mistake was made, and it cost someone their life. And you two making it some political bullshit is the most tragic, and disgusting loving thing in this thread.

"Oh goody! Another young black man got shot! Now I can stroke my flaccid anarchist weiner some more on the internet." You guys really are pathetic.

The only political bullshit is you flinging around nonsensical terms like "hard-line neo-liberal anarchist".

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

blarzgh posted:

If I kill someone you can all feel free to judge the poo poo out of me. I'll be doing the same to myself and probably stop whatever I was doing that lead to another person's death.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

blarzgh posted:

I don't think you know what half the words in this sentence mean.

edit: is it just a thing where everyone bootlicking rear end in a top hat who comes into this thread is required to say something totally embarrassing and then go on pretending to know what they're talking about like it never happened

Woozy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 5, 2015

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Agrajag posted:

The only political bullshit is you flinging around nonsensical terms like "hard-line neo-liberal anarchist".

It's Paul Ryan listening to Rage Against the Machine.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Actually this is pretty adorable, too. Hmm how could a European possibly understand American law...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Woozy posted:

Actually this is pretty adorable, too. Hmm how could a European possibly understand American law...

It's amazing that death by cop in the UK is nowhere near the American stat it must be because millions of UK cops are dying every year. https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Documents/research_stats/Deaths_Report_1314.pdf

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A mistake was made and a kid died, that's a tragedy, but we must remember never to look at our procedures and reform them to make this less likely to happen in the future. We should keep on keepin on and say "hey next time people shouldn't make mistakes then this won't happen", that's how airlines handle crashes right? "What a tragedy, but poo poo happens, can't make mistakes less lethal, we just gotta tell everyone to never make a mistake"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Agrajag posted:

On occasion, cops will encounter people who threaten either their lives, or the lives of people around them. In your opinion, what is the minimum number of seconds required to identify such a threat?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

Could someone summarize the argument here? I think at one point it was, "we need to change the laws to make it harder to kill someone and say, 'oops my bad.'" but then it became, "women will still get raped just as much if we aren't killing muggers."

We've got the usual parcel of posters arguing about how the wounded masculinity of downwardly mobile and insecure white men means they should get to live out their Bernie Goetz cosplay/Deathwish fanfic/RAHOWA jerkoff fantasies without either legal sanction or moral reproach. We've also got a bunch of posters trying to get through to them, but they'll fail as they always do because of the unshakeable conceit of the gun nuts' self-image as cool headed rationalists.

It'll burn out eventually, or at least lay dormant until the next time some angry old white guy blows away some young non-white guy(s) in questionable circumstances.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

twodot posted:

On occasion, cops will encounter people who threaten either their lives, or the lives of people around them. In your opinion, what is the minimum number of seconds required to identify such a threat?

Did you get this stupid line of argument from watching too much 24 the series?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Agrajag posted:

Did you get this stupid line of argument from watching too much 24 the series?

I can't understand how anyone can come to his conclusion. If it's impossible to differentiate between threat and no threat and it's justified to kill if you feel threatened it's impossible for someone to mistakenly kill unjustly.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 5, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blarzgh posted:

That's not policing, that your mobile oppression patrol.

blarzgh posted:

Good god man. You're allowed to be judge, jury and executioner before you arrest someone let alone a trial if you're a cop? If that's the case why bother with trials at all. How does presumption of innocence not apply at all times until found guilty of said crime at the end of the trial? "Kill them all and let god sort it out!".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The cop can't just kill you without a trial, relax.

He has to say "I felt threatened" afterwards.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
36 seconds is actually quite a long time. Count it out right now. In 36 seconds I can get out of bed, walk into my bathroom, undress, turn on the shower and start shampooing.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/04/us/baltimore-drugs-violence/index.html

So those peaceful protesters in Baltimore apparently looted 20+ pharmacies for oxycontin, vicodin, etc and homocide rates have surged to the highest rate in 16 years as many police are too afraid to put any pressure on bloods, crips, etc fighting over street corners to sell thousands of prescription pills flooding the streets because they don't want to be arrested and charged for murder.

What is this thread's reaction? I felt like lots of the left wing commentators don't even think gang violence and opportunistic criminals in a riot scenario are even real things and just blame white people/cops/racism for everything.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I guess the police were right to commit murder all along

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
The important thing is that they need to die now in case they steal oxycontin later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/04/us/baltimore-drugs-violence/index.html

So those peaceful protesters in Baltimore apparently looted 20+ pharmacies for oxycontin, vicodin, etc and homocide rates have surged to the highest rate in 16 years as many police are too afraid to put any pressure on bloods, crips, etc fighting over street corners to sell thousands of prescription pills flooding the streets because they don't want to be arrested and charged for murder.

What is this thread's reaction? I felt like lots of the left wing commentators don't even think gang violence and opportunistic criminals in a riot scenario are even real things and just blame white people/cops/racism for everything.
Lol maybe they shouldn't murder folks for looking at them.

• Locked thread