Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

IIRC, gradenko mentioned that there's a variant rule in the DMG where SD recharge whenever you roll initiative... and there's also a variant rule where you roll initiative every round :getin:

Uhhhh to be clear, I was referring to the high-level Battle Master ability that gives you back 1 SD every time you roll initiative, when combined with the variant rule that adopts AD&D-style initiative where your weapon type and/or declared action modifies your initiative, and then you roll initiative every round because your declared action every round changes what your initiative modifier will be.

It was a rules-lawyery joke, because you've still got to slog through 14 levels of Fighter before you can get to it.

The official variant rules are an Epic type of time passage where Short Rests are 5 mins and Long Rests are 1 hour, or a Gritty mode where Short Rests are 8 hours and Long Rests are 1 week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

odinson posted:

Keep in mind that Hoard was written when some of the rules and monsters weren't fully developed and some things were lost between writers and the publisher. Here are a few links you should email the DM.

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1909-HOARD-OF-THE-DRAGON-QUEEN-Author-Steve-Winter-Clarifies-A-Few-Points!#.VW6CzkZFvrk
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109184/errata-and-clarifications-fan-compiled

Backgrounds are a little more important than the other new things you listed because they give you skill proficiencies on top of the other fluff stuff.
Factions aren't really that big of a deal in the published module, so you guys pick one that fits your character.

https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/faction/harpers

3.5 ---> 5 Transition. I've personally never played non-5e tabletop D&D more than a few sessions, so I can't confirm this link is correct. There should be other easily searchable similar lists.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/29tysg/35e_to_5e_summary_of_differences/

Other 5e forums/sites. I'm not really vouching for any of these other sites, but they're out there.
http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext There are a few other DM and worldbuilding subreddits as well. (dnd next was the nickname for 5e during the playtests btw, so you will see some overlap online)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-D-amp-D-5e-Next
http://community.wizards.com/forums/61981 I mostly browse the charop secion
http://www.enworld.org/forum/forum.php Has a few 5e subforums.
http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?89-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-Fantasy-D20-Spotlight Have this one bookmarked, but never really check up on it

Thanks for all this! I checked out the D&D Next for Newbies thread that Siivola recommended but I gave up after people started getting really vicious about whether or not centaurs are too dangerous or something, I didn't understand what the gently caress was going on but people seemed really butthurt and angry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Keshik posted:

Thanks for all this! I checked out the D&D Next for Newbies thread that Siivola recommended but I gave up after people started getting really vicious about whether or not centaurs are too dangerous or something, I didn't understand what the gently caress was going on but people seemed really butthurt and angry.

One of 5e's weakpoints is monster construction:

The stats of the monsters in the official Monster Manual in conjunction with the frailty of sub-level 3 PCs makes them out to be glass cannons: it's relatively easy to create a low-level encounter that'll result in a TPK or at least a couple of deaths/knockouts even for what's supposed to be an 'easy' encounter, but at the same time if the monsters roll poorly or the players roll well, the monsters are easily killed too, so the outcomes of combats are difficult to predict.

The centaur was one of those outlier monsters that's particularly bad at having a good chance of one-shotting a PC.

There is a procedure for creating your own monsters in the DMG, but it's so crazy and convoluted to be just about useless because you can't do it on the fly. You end up having to eyeball monster stats anyway, which was supposed to be what monster construction was supposed to save you from.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If you're DMing 5e you need to consciously have your monsters spread out their attacks. Conversely, you need to have enough meat shields in melee to eat those attacks. Monsters get multi-attack WAY before players do and even one lucky crit on a 3 attack volley means someone's at negative hit points.

Trust me, I speak from repeated experience.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Generic Octopus posted:

any class with spellcasting is great (Bard being the best)
Rangers are so bad that people don't even remember they exist when they make statements like this.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
People say bard is the best. Could someone break this down for me?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're a skillmonkey like the Rogue, only with armor and full spellcasting(including heals) instead of Sneak Attack.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
On top of that, there are two REALLY good Bard Archetypes. Lore College lets you poach spells from other classes earlier and more often, but Valor Bard gives you medium armor, shield, and military weapon proficiency (not like Bards didn't already have access to longswords, rapiers, and handcrossbows natively), plus a multi-attack by level 6. And of course all Bards are badass spell casters that can do all kind of badass spells anyways.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Also their skill monkey stuff lets them be the best at a huge variety of things usually given to other classes, like being the best grapplers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They also improve rest healing and the chances their allies will hit via their class features, the latter of which especially is not to be discounted in a game that's about hitting a giant alpha strike.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They also improve rest healing and the chances their allies will hit via their class features, the latter of which especially is not to be discounted in a game that's about hitting a giant alpha strike.

Oh, and their primary stat is Dexterity, so they're usually high up in the initiative. Unless they polymorphed into a T. rex, in which case gently caress it because they're a T. rex.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, and their primary stat is Dexterity, so they're usually high up in the initiative. Unless they polymorphed into a T. rex, in which case gently caress it because they're a T. rex.

I'm all about that

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, and their primary stat is Dexterity, so they're usually high up in the initiative.

Also, since initiative is a dexterity skill check that doesn't add your proficiency bonus, I'm pretty sure "jack of all trades" lets you add half your proficiency bonus to it as well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure Initiative is its own mechanic and not actually an ability check, but considering how poor 5E's writing is I would totally believe it can be interpreted that way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kurieg posted:

even one lucky crit on a 3 attack volley means someone's at negative hit points.
You dont roll for them individually?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm pretty sure Initiative is its own mechanic and not actually an ability check, but considering how poor 5E's writing is I would totally believe it can be interpreted that way.

quote:

Initiative determines the order of turns during combat. When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity check to determine their place in the initiative order.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FRINGE posted:

You dont roll for them individually?

You do, but level 1 hit points are so low that a single crit means you're basically dead. If all three attacks hit one person you're also probably dead.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kurieg posted:

You do, but level 1 hit points are so low that a single crit means you're basically dead. If all three attacks hit one person you're also probably dead.
Ah. Misunderstood. I know some people prefer mass-initiatives and was thinking maybe some people might similarly be rolling all to-hits as a single roll or something.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

:laffo:

gently caress you, Mike Mearls.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Don't forget spamming Guidance before combat starts, so you can add a d4 to your initiative roll. :eng101:

EDIT: Oh, and something I hadn't even thought of before I saw it in a game, a Lore Bard could also use their Cutting Words feature as a reaction to reduce an opponent's initiative roll.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Mecha Gojira posted:

I just want to mention right here, that if you're any kind of weapon-using class, other than Barbarian or some kind of Paladin-MC, you can and probably should make DEX your primary.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

The Crotch posted:

Rangers are so bad that people don't even remember they exist when they make statements like this.

Bards are powerful because Rangers exist. Without them, the Bard wouldn't be able to take their Swift Quiver spell that lets them fire off 4 arrows a round at level 10, where the Ranger doesn't get it until 17.

Ya, it is sort of like the Bard punching the Ranger and taking his milk money. But I'm sure Bards have a spell which automates the actual punch-and-take process as well, so in the end everyone is happy.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ever have that DM you only play with because they are your friend? We are doing a settle a town type game. We are level 2 now. This game has had 6 sessions over 2 months. Im trying to tell the DM to hurry up the XP, because goddamn. I'd like to once in my life have a character with two digit levels. Im trying to suggest a level about ever 3-4 sessions.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
How long are your sessions? I'm DMing a game, and so far we did one session at level one, one session at level two. I'll probably do 2 sessions each for the next few levels and then maybe do three from then on out. I can't imagine anyone having fun spending any appreciable amount of time at low levels.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Also, use Cutting Words and Hex to nerf your opponents' initiative, whenever possible.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Also, use Cutting Words and Hex to nerf your opponents' initiative, whenever possible.

:aaaaa: Whoa, I didn't think of this! Cutting Words is a reaction, so it should work. Definitely keeping note of this for the next time I play a bard. I'm curious how Hex would work for this, though. Initiative would be already be rolled before you can cast it in most cases unless you're using that variant rule where you roll initiative each round, right?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Do that poo poo before initiative while you're invisible, because ~MAGIC~

:smugwizard:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Always be ambushing. Surprise grants advantage, advantage is silly.

edit - Ok, so really it's not the surprise that does it, it's the not being seen part, but w/e

goatface fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 6, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

winterwerefox posted:

Ever have that DM you only play with because they are your friend? We are doing a settle a town type game. We are level 2 now. This game has had 6 sessions over 2 months. Im trying to tell the DM to hurry up the XP, because goddamn. I'd like to once in my life have a character with two digit levels. Im trying to suggest a level about ever 3-4 sessions.

Who even uses XP in a modern D&D game, anyway? I just get my players to level whenever I'm bored with their powers or run out of interesting monsters to use at the current level. (Usually every two or three adventures)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The organised play does, and that's what a significant chunk of stuff seems built around supporting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gort posted:

Who even uses XP in a modern D&D game, anyway? I just get my players to level whenever I'm bored with their powers or run out of interesting monsters to use at the current level. (Usually every two or three adventures)

It took our current 4E DM a while to figure out that no one was even bothering to count the XP totals he gave out. Now it's taking him a while to figure out that people are rebuilding/bringing in different characters because we don't have inherent bonuses and he's not giving us money.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

goatface posted:

The organised play does, and that's what a significant chunk of stuff seems built around supporting.

Every time I have heard about organised play it sounds like the least fun you could possibly have with a D&D set.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
5e's core audience is AD&D->3e fans, who absolutely still use XP (Because AD&D). For them, XP is the "reward" you get for playing, as if the game were some kinda terrible slog that you only do for the chance to level up. Look at how many people say things like "if a player skips or misses a game, no XP for them!" Because they didn't earn it.

As with so many things D&D, it's something that made sense in the dungeon crawler days where XP was literally your "score," and then carried into situations where it increasingly makes no sense.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
My DM has chosen to reward XP only after the completion of milestones, or maybe after entire story arcs, rather than actually calculating anything. Which sounds like it should be a good thing, but has led to our party being level one for three sessions now, with no advancement in sight. Kill me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

Every time I have heard about organised play it sounds like the least fun you could possibly have with a D&D set.

My experience is that for most participants, organised play usually teeters close to the line where no gaming > bad gaming. It's certainly been fairly close to it for me in the past, but nobody in my current group really has the time or motivation to DM a long-term original campaign, much as we'd all very much like to play in one.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Xp makes sense when different classes level at different rates

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah this was a thing. It was the brief moment when the thief (lv 3) sneered at the wizard (lv1).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Each of the sessions have been about 3 hours long. But it has been all roleplay rather than combat, and roleplay isnt defined as giving xp, of course. :suicide101:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah. Like I said, XP works in AD&D (different level requirements for XP and multiclassing built around XP) and OD&D/Basic (Gold = XP as a means of "keeping score" and highly variable XP payoffs). Those systems had XP built into them from the start.

While 3e tried to do one or two things with XP (magic items cost XP, you gain XP faster if you're under level to the party), in general it was a vestigial limb, especially with late 3e and Pathfinder's push to adventure paths which would have highly regimented places for leveling up. 4e and 5e do absolutely nothing with XP but keep it there because, uh,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It took our current 4E DM a while to figure out that no one was even bothering to count the XP totals he gave out. Now it's taking him a while to figure out that people are rebuilding/bringing in different characters because we don't have inherent bonuses and he's not giving us money.

Judgement posted:

My DM has chosen to reward XP only after the completion of milestones, or maybe after entire story arcs, rather than actually calculating anything. Which sounds like it should be a good thing, but has led to our party being level one for three sessions now, with no advancement in sight. Kill me.

winterwerefox posted:

Each of the sessions have been about 3 hours long. But it has been all roleplay rather than combat, and roleplay isnt defined as giving xp, of course. :suicide101:
It's just another of those things, like the handing out of loot, where the game mechanic is there and is expected to be followed, but since the game doesn't sufficiently explain why the mechanic exists and what its point is, people tinker with it and then don't realize what the knock-on effects are.

quote:

SESSION-BASED ADVANCEMENT
A good rate of session-based advancement is to have characters reach 2nd level after the first session of play, 3rd level after another session, and 4th level after two more sessions. Then spend two or three sessions for each subsequent level. This rate mirrors the standard rate of advancement, assuming sessions are about four hours long.

STORY-BASED ADVANCEMENT
When you let the story of the campaign drive advancement, you award levels when adventurers accomplish significant goals in the campaign.
That poo poo shouldn't be buried in the corner of a page of the DMG.