Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

veedubfreak posted:

recently bought a mid 80s Ferrari for like 25k.

But this is a good decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

atomicthumbs posted:

Hey remember when Ford tried to make a FWD Miata competitor using 323 parts and a Mazda engine, like some sort of "stop hitting yourself!" thing

Yeah, neither does anyone else.

Just saw one of these critters in the garage at work today. At first I thought it was a Geo Metro convertible until I saw the rear end.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The Capri was Ford's Elan.

Pavel Petel stumbles upon the classiest RX-8.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

atomicthumbs posted:

Hey remember when Ford tried to make a FWD Miata competitor using 323 parts and a Mazda engine, like some sort of "stop hitting yourself!" thing

I feel bad for Ford USA during this period because they wanted to build something, anything, that was sporty other than the Mustang but car buyers just wanted fahvhunnderit horsepower and a solid rear axle.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Curb rash as modern art.

I think it's statement about not giving a gently caress about the colors of curbs you hit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

I feel bad for Ford USA during this period because they wanted to build something, anything, that was sporty other than the Mustang but car buyers just wanted fahvhunnderit horsepower and a solid rear axle.

Lol if you think Ford in the 80's ever wanted to build anything other than a shoe box with CAR written on the side in sharpie. The market is what forced them to make actual cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Thankfully they compromised and what people actually got was the worst live rear axle ever and a choice of 85hp I4, 102hp V6 or 120hp V8. Everybody won.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Venusian Weasel posted:

He was arrested in his diamond-studded Mercedes.

It's like that immature forums exchange where kids argue weather something like a McLaren could charge through a brick wall at top speed, and then adding that if it was made of diamonds it would do better as they're the hardest substance on earth.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

WebDog posted:

It's like that immature forums exchange where kids argue weather something like a McLaren could charge through a brick wall at top speed, and then adding that if it was made of diamonds it would do better as they're the hardest substance on earth.

That conundrum was solved ages ago

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

8ender posted:

And Ford punished them for it, by making the Mustang II the last not-bad looking Mustang for almost a quarter century.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

more of WILL I AM's vehicular misadventures?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Thankfully they compromised and what people actually got was the worst live rear axle ever and a choice of 85hp I4, 102hp V6 or 120hp V8. Everybody won.

How, how is it even possible for those numbers to happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

World class engineers, it takes talent to be that deliberately bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

CAFE requirements.

Looking back it really is a miracle any of the US manufacturers survived the 80s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

CAFE requirements.

Looking back it really is a miracle any of the US manufacturers survived the 80s.

Speaking of terrible car poo poo: the 1980s Chrysler Bailout to the tune of $4 billion

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/11/looking-at-the-1980-chrysler-bailout/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

veedubfreak posted:

quote:

Supplies of the 2.8 L proved inadequate leading to it being replaced in late 1979 with Ford's 85 hp (63 kW) 3.3 L straight-six.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I could fart into turbine and generate more than 85hp most mornings.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I likes me a car with some booty :pervert:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Special fasteners on your plate doesn't help around here, the usual method is to use a tin snips and just cut the corner of the plate off so you can lift the sticker later on in privacy.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

freelop posted:

That conundrum was solved ages ago

This is amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

veedubfreak posted:

The 351M (5.8L V8) in my 1980 F-150 put out 138 HP, with single digit gas mileage. And a tire-shredding 263 ft/lbs of torque. That's when it was new.. by the time I got it, it was probably putting out about 1/2 to 2/3 of that (I actually got spanked by a Geo Metro in it once...)

The 2.2L I4 in my Saturd puts out slightly more horsepower (2 HP to be exact).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I had one sitting in my garage about 7-8 months ago. I spent a couple weeks trying everything under the sun to get the axle but off so I could do a brake job for a friend. After 2 weeks of failure, the owner said gently caress it and sold it. In his 6 months of owning it, it never did more than 500 miles and I vividly remember the common replacement for the power steering pump reservoir was a garden sprayer which this had. gently caress the mercury Capri.

Edit: Also, the various suspension bushings were no longer made, so some dude bought the parts to make them and he is now the only supplier. :haw:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 5, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

some texas redneck posted:

The 351M (5.8L V8) in my 1980 F-150 put out 138 HP, with single digit gas mileage. And a tire-shredding 263 ft/lbs of torque. That's when it was new.. by the time I got it, it was probably putting out about 1/2 to 2/3 of that (I actually got spanked by a Geo Metro in it once...)

No replacement for displacement :911:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Most of us would like to forget the late 70s/early 80s engines ever existed, thank you. :colbert: That was a very dark time in our history.

:cripes: I just looked up the engine specs for the 2015 Mustang. The smallest engine available is a 2.3L, and it still cranks out over 300 HP, and is estimated to get 32 MPG highway. 5.0 V8? North of 400 HP, and still 25 MPG highway. That just blows my mind. I don't even get why they bother with the V6 at this point, when it puts down less HP and torque than the 2.3 (though the 2.3 has a turbo) and gets worse mileage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Where else is the endless supply of riced-out base models going to come from for people in 2030, though? There has to be a spec with a tractor engine and a blue suede interior that'll still be going and have stupid wheels and a dumb exhaust and twenty FORD POWER MUSTANG COBRA stickers.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Where else is the endless supply of riced-out base models going to come from for people in 2030, though? There has to be a spec with a tractor engine and a blue suede interior that'll still be going and have stupid wheels and a dumb exhaust and twenty FORD POWER MUSTANG COBRA stickers.

You joke, but the Briggs and Stratton engine option is also likely to be in the best shape in 20 years when people are looking for project bodies. See also Kent engined Cortinas, 161ci Toranas.

Anyway, as my contribution to the thread: the Suzuki J24b has its thermostat on the cold side of the radiator. There is ample space for the thermostat to be in the head, it is where it is out of sheer spite.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

One of the things I really miss about my Grand Prix is the A/C. Dual zone climate was nice since my wife and I are totally opposite temperature wise, and holy poo poo was the A/C cold. The CX-5 isn't bad, but I couldn't keep the Grand Prix at 100% cold for very long, and I love it cold.

One of the things that I don't miss about my Grand Prix is the dual zone climate control. lovely plastic gears in the actuators broke all the time and were very expensive and difficult to replace. By the end, I would just reach into the dash and manually turn it hot for winter and cold for summer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Id swear that was my coworkers car, but it doesnt look like FL plates, and it doesnt have giant "VEGAN" and "god is dead" stickers ..

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SneakyFrog posted:

Id swear that was my coworkers car, but it doesnt look like FL plates, and it doesnt have giant "VEGAN" and "god is dead" stickers ..

Your coworker sounds like a person that I would enjoy having a conversation with*.

*slapping in the mouth

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Your coworker sounds like a person that I would enjoy having a conversation with*.

*slapping in the mouth

Id say that's a great approach.

(He has vegan dogs)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Does he do crossfit too? Because he's starting to sound like a Portlandia sketch.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Most of us would like to forget the late 70s/early 80s engines ever existed, thank you. :colbert: That was a very dark time in our history.

My daily driver from when I got my license in 1987 until I bought my Sentra SE-R in 1994 was a 1984 Ford Ranger with a whopping 72HP 4 cylinder and a 4-speed manual transmission. It could top out about 65 MPH if I was lucky. Plus it was dark blue with dark blue vinyl interior and no air conditioning. It was like driving a slow sauna around in the summer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SneakyFrog posted:

(He has vegan dogs)

please call an animal rescue

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This M3 made me sad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SneakyFrog posted:

Id say that's a great approach.

(He has vegan dogs)

Lol. A goon killed his dog by feeding it nothing but heavy cream for months because he wanted it to do a keto diet with him. Why do people keep trying to put their dogs on person diets?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Lol. A goon killed his dog by feeding it nothing but heavy cream for months because he wanted it to do a keto diet with him. Why do people keep trying to put their dogs on person diets?

Because people are hosed in the head

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

80's V8s were the absolute shittiest things. I had an 85 Trans Am and a 88 Mustang GT and both of them were so hilariously underpowered that the 94' Acura Integra 2 door I bought after bootcamp felt like a loving drag racer in comparison. I don't get how something with that much displacement drove like a cinder block being slid across gravel when you'd try to accelerate.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Booblord Zagats posted:

80's V8s were the absolute shittiest things. I had an 85 Trans Am and a 88 Mustang GT and both of them were so hilariously underpowered that the 94' Acura Integra 2 door I bought after bootcamp felt like a loving drag racer in comparison. I don't get how something with that much displacement drove like a cinder block being slid across gravel when you'd try to accelerate.

A while back I ran across a copy of Motor Trend from 1982 with an ad for the return of the Mustang GT. Big, bold letters "THE BOSS IS BACK". Fire-breathing 302 cubic inch V8 blasting out a whopping 157 horsepower!

It was indeed a sad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what the gently caress!