Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I thought the real story of Cinderella he tells to Keira and her response were great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

You'll choke to death on three pounds of steel.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Mods No Masters posted:

Geralt's real problem is his obsession with the one time he had to fight a zeugel in a sewer, he just can't get over it

Everyone keeps bringing it up. Just give the guy a break OK? Gosh.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Where do I get one of these succubi contracts? They sound like fun.

Also, top 3 minority race NPC:s :

3. That big fat satyr-looking mofo in a basement fooling the peasants into thinking he's a god so they bring him food
2. Johnny
1. Rock trolls

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Azazell0 posted:

Where do I get one of these succubi contracts? They sound like fun.
Novigrad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Spent some time just browsing the Witcher 3 section of the Nexus site. Some stuff I just don't understand.

Saw one mod "Just my personal mod of random cheats to power through the game on Death March difficulty." Like... what's the point? Why would you care? If you need cheats to play through Death March, maybe you shouldn't play through Death March?

Also, saw a mod that hoped to "Rebalance monster trophies"

YUP! LOOKS BALANCED TO ME!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mordiceius posted:

Spent some time just browsing the Witcher 3 section of the Nexus site. Some stuff I just don't understand.

Saw one mod "Just my personal mod of random cheats to power through the game on Death March difficulty." Like... what's the point? Why would you care? If you need cheats to play through Death March, maybe you shouldn't play through Death March?
Need those achievements man.
And no, can't use the SAM unlocker, that would be cheating. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One bad thing about buying the game from GOG: No cheevos.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CJacobs posted:

Sure there are, you just can't show them off to your friends, because Galaxy doesn't support friends yet :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

GoG Galaxy has them, no?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Memento posted:

Sure there are, you just can't show them off to your friends, because Galaxy doesn't support friends yet :v:

Galaxy does support friends. It's probably your friends that don't support Galaxy.

:badumtssh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wouldn't know, that piece of garbage is never returning to my PC. So even if there are achievements on GOG Galaxy, I am technically playing a version without achievements.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Problem is getting GoG Galaxy achievements is like one step above getting uplay points, or it's like getting achievements in Origin or something

As pointless achievements are in general and in concept, imagine how much more pointless non-steam achievements are. It's the only platform that matters. No one has ever showed off their uplay points or whatever.

Also regarding mods: Yeah, right after a big game release, there are always some hilariously unbalanced "balance" mods, or cheat mods that don't want to admit they are cheat mods. I too cannot understand why someone would get a cheat mod to help them play through the game on death march easily. Like, if you want to be bad at the game and finish it, why not just play on easy? Weird.

As far as the few useful mods that currently exist, I will admit to using the 9999 weight mod because seriously, gently caress ever worrying about carry space in any game that has it, ever. I just can not be bothered to deal with that.

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 5, 2015

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Gwent card/Thaler spoiler: If Thaler dies in Reasons of state, can I still get the Geralt card somehow?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wanting to show off your points to your friends is the worst reason to do achievements, and there's a lot of bad reasons to do them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Damo posted:

Problem is getting GoG Galaxy achievements is like one step above getting uplay points, or it's like getting achievements in Origin or something

Where as Steam achievements have prestige and honour, though they do pale in comparison to a platinum trophy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There are no good reasons to do achievements.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones and have just encountered the Shrieker fight. What level should I be to do this realistically?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There are no good reasons to do achievements.

"I want to"

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Ran into another climbing bug in the Yennefer portion of Final Preparations, The Great Escape, chasing down this prison escapee and I can't jump up a ledge he just shimmied up, and unlike last time there isn't any handy geometry for me to exploit to get my way up there.

Man I hope someone comes out with some noclip mod that doesn't require arcane knowledge of CheatEngine to use. Otherwise I'm gonna have to stop playing all together until it's fixed.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones and have just encountered the Shrieker fight. What level should I be to do this realistically?

Cockatrices are a huge pain in the rear end to fight on the ground until you get the feel for rolling behind them to avoid their swings. The shrieker fight is out in the open though so I usually fight it on horseback.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Ran into another climbing bug in the Yennefer portion of Final Preparations, The Great Escape, chasing down this prison escapee and I can't jump up a ledge he just shimmied up, and unlike last time there isn't any handy geometry for me to exploit to get my way up there.

Man I hope someone comes out with some noclip mod that doesn't require arcane knowledge of CheatEngine to use. Otherwise I'm gonna have to stop playing all together until it's fixed.

This bug seems to be more of a general one than one restricted to certain missions. I ran into it as well, and had to download a debug mod that I used to spawn barrels to climb up where I got stuck. Then it magically fixed itself at some point.

However, I later got a tip to use the debug console enabler (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/28/), and just type "ResetInput". Apparently this should fix it.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Broken Cog posted:

This bug seems to be more of a general one than one restricted to certain missions. I ran into it as well, and had to download a debug mod that I used to spawn barrels to climb up where I got stuck. Then it magically fixed itself at some point.

However, I later got a tip to use the debug console enabler (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/28/), and just type "ResetInput". Apparently this should fix it.

Thanks, hopefully this'll help for what seems to be a common bug in a later part of the same quest as well. I resolved the original problem by just catching the guy before he could start hopping around the rooftops :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Doomhammer posted:

Cockatrices are a huge pain in the rear end to fight on the ground until you get the feel for rolling behind them to avoid their swings. The shrieker fight is out in the open though so I usually fight it on horseback.

Yeah I ended up doing the first half on horseback and then when my horse bailed I finished it off on the ground. Took me 3 tries but I got it.

:dance:Did it at level 4 :dance:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think the Nilfgaard Armor DLC is bugged or something. Every time I equip it Geralt looks so drat stylish that I can't wear anything else.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That one werewolf quest must have been Christmas for you.

"I finally have a case of Lupus."

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Was it revealed that, contrary to popular belief, the Wild Hunt was not some mythic spectral phenomenon but instead a group of evil Elves in the Witcher 2?

It's been a while since I played 2, but I guess I forgot or didn't realize that the Hunt was composed of mortals (albeit really powerful mortals). Then I played Gwent and saw the leader of the Wild Hunt's card, mortal name and all. Really hoping that their backstory was already revealed in the Witcher 2 because that's a lame way to discover this stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been all over Skellige looking for maps to Witcher gear treasure hunts and no merchants have them as far as I can tell. Where can I find Enhanced Cat and Bear gear treasure maps?

theDOWmustflow posted:

Was it revealed that, contrary to popular belief, the Wild Hunt was not some mythic spectral phenomenon but instead a group of evil Elves in the Witcher 2?

Think it was revealed in the books, but it was also something Geralt remembers in Witcher 2.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

theDOWmustflow posted:

It's been a while since I played 2, but I guess I forgot or didn't realize that the Hunt was composed of mortals (albeit really powerful mortals). Then I played Gwent and saw the leader of the Wild Hunt's card, mortal name and all. Really hoping that their backstory was already revealed in the Witcher 2 because that's a lame way to discover this stuff.

Yep, it was already revealed in 2. Think they even showed one without a helmet in one of the cartoon cutscenes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

theDOWmustflow posted:

Yeah, in W2 Geralt remembers that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imh-aZmWoAQ at 3:42 or so.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

theDOWmustflow posted:

I didn't finish TW2 so I'm not sure, but it's definitely brought up as something Geralt already knows in this game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a bad case of hoarding: I'm constantly running at close to max capacity and haul all those lovely swords to the nearest blacksmith. As a result I'm near the end of act 1 at level 23 and have around 30000 crowns. I buy all the alchemy schematics I can get too. I tend to sell off high value crafting stuff like gems or pearls, maybe that's why I'm so obscenely rich. If I cannot finish all the quests and rock the highest level witcher gear by the end of story mission I can use the mountain of gold in my posession to "buy" experience from the bank.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I busted my rear end to get the first set of Griffin gear upgrades at level 10-11, only to find out they require at least level 15 to use :saddowns: Oh well, at least I'll have the materials ready as soon as I can use them.
(pro treasure-hunting tip: if it's guarded by something you can't or don't want to fight, sheathe your sword while standing right in front of the chest and you'll have a couple of seconds to loot it before Geralt goes back into combat mode :eng101:)

Unrelated: I recently discovered the beauty of fully upgraded alt-Quen, which makes me wonder what other good poo poo I've overlooked. Is alt-Aard secretly rad? I should probably get alt-Yrden for archers, while I'm thinking about it.

Also, I've seen people talk about instant kills after using Axii on someone, but it seems to only happen really infrequently for me. Is there some trick to it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah, in W2 Geralt remembers that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imh-aZmWoAQ at 3:42 or so.

Hey, it's Darkest Dungeon :D

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Walrus Pete posted:

I busted my rear end to get the first set of Griffin gear upgrades at level 10-11, only to find out they require at least level 15 to use :saddowns: Oh well, at least I'll have the materials ready as soon as I can use them.
(pro treasure-hunting tip: if it's guarded by something you can't or don't want to fight, sheathe your sword while standing right in front of the chest and you'll have a couple of seconds to loot it before Geralt goes back into combat mode :eng101:)

Unrelated: I recently discovered the beauty of fully upgraded alt-Quen, which makes me wonder what other good poo poo I've overlooked. Is alt-Aard secretly rad? I should probably get alt-Yrden for archers, while I'm thinking about it.

Also, I've seen people talk about instant kills after using Axii on someone, but it seems to only happen really infrequently for me. Is there some trick to it?

Alt-Yrden is cool because it can swat the flyers off the sky (range is pretty low though) and disrupt constantly big and slow enemies. I'm not sure catching archers arrows is that much of an advantage, since you'd have to keep the circle between you.
I've considered alt-Igni to be the most broken thing in the game, but some bigger monsters attack me despite getting burned DOT. Still Quen + Alt-Igni are my go-to combinations for non-wraith fights.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Alt - Quen saved my arse during the final fights. Healing when the bubble gets hit? Come at me bro! Hit me harder why don't you.

So I finished up the main story last night and I liked the ending I got. Geralt is taking it easy now, travelling the lands playing Gwent in his semi-retirement. After all there's a young new keen witcheress to handle business and there's baths with Yen to have as soon as he has all the sweet cards

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Walrus Pete posted:

Alternate Aard is good, and not even necessarily for the AOE- it takes ~40% of your stamina to cast instead of all of it, so you can use it very regularly / to buy time for a different cast.

Turret Yrden is fun, but I tend to beeline for archers, so I mostly use it to free up an area during fights.

I might actually stop using Alt-Igni, I barely even use a sword now :(

Aaaand I'm not sure how I'd handle Death March without alt-Quen. I usually go from full health to nearly dead and back several times within a single fight.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there a trick to making adrenaline work? According to the tutorial, it increases with each blow you land, but the bar never goes above 0 for me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dominoes posted:

Is there a trick to making adrenaline work? According to the tutorial, it increases with each blow you land, but the bar never goes above 0 for me.

Bar? It's the three little squares underneath your stamina bar, and they fill up one-two-three, not incrementally. Doing more damage makes them fill up - I think I read somewhere that if you're on an easier difficulty level you often don't do enough damage in a fight to get one square to light up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

I love how smug Geralt looks when somebody says "We can take on a witcher!"

Gotta give them credit for their confidence. I killed a level 30-something high griffin in front of a bandit wearing nothing but rags and he still attacked me when I was finished.

edit: actually I swear that oval office even shot me with an arrow mid battle. What an rear end in a top hat.

Crappers fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 5, 2015