Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
March Comes in Like a Lion 52 and 53

Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Railgun.

All's well that ends well! And the wrestling move outta nowhere was great, too. And then that last page :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Railgun shounen?
Brutal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
idk it says seinen on the kissmanga page so I put it here

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first one I checked was batoto which said the opposite :iiam: Apparently it's this magazine.

E: Since it doesn't look like threads will ever get archived again sometime soon the original thread for Railgun is still around anyway.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New chapter of Genshiken Nidaime is up by an anonymous scanalator (who may or may not be the person who did it previously). http://bato.to/read/_/324187/genshiken-nidaime-the-society-for-the-study-of-modern-visual-culture-ii_v19_ch112_by_no-group

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some new chapters of Suicide Island have gone up, seems there might be a new volume out, so there'll probably be a half dozen or so more chapters after these soon enough.

These two latest chapters are pretty intense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hoo Ray, a new chapter of And Still The Town Turns.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, the cover's great. I like that, out of all of them, it's the plus-size girl that's doing the pantyshot.

coathat
May 21, 2007

BBW fan spotted.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

New Boku dake ga Inai Machi AKA The Town Where Only I Am Missing

Finally, after 30 chapters, you get to say "I knew it all along."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

New Boku dake ga Inai Machi AKA The Town Where Only I Am Missing

Finally, after 30 chapters, you get to say "I knew it all along."
Kind of disappointed it really was the obvious answer all along...it's like Naruto where Tobi actually did end up being Obito

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Kind of disappointed it really was the obvious answer all along...it's like Naruto where Tobi actually did end up being Obito

The biggest problem with the teacher being the culprit is that it requires kind of an unbelievable level of gullibility on the part of Satoru (who, you know, is also an adult mentally). The fact that he's supposedly been thinking constantly about this case and hasn't caught onto the teacher being super suspicious is hard to believe.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine it being a red herring at this point. I'm guessing the car not being his is so he can kill him and have the owner of the car be the suspect. I'm wondering how Satoru is going to escape, or if he's going to rewind again. No clue how he would get out of the car.

Either way, I really want to read the next issue! Is the translation coming out as the series does, or is the series already complete/further along?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
We're a bit behind. There's 5 more chapters that are untranslated.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
In the latest Inside Mari...

Pretty sure this is going down the path of a traumatic childhood experience creating a split personality. Pretty heavy-handed visual symbolism with the picture ripped in the middle and taped back together. One of the many reasons I really loving dislike multiple personalities as a plot device, is that it almost always revolves around child abuse. :sigh:

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, but middling is still better than second-half Gantz so I'm mostly sticking along, we all know this dude's limitations so it'll probably turn from middling to lame sooner than later but oh well. I agree about the protagonist, that is at least a plus for it, and so far (at least where I caught up) it doesn't look like the evil robot guy or whatever, who is a weepy douchebag kurono, gets as much screentime...I mean he gets his, obviously, but I like the idea that the old man remains central protagonist so we have less teenage sociopath.

I wouldn't actually recommend Inuyashiki to anyone though, unless you're where I am where you've read most of the typical recommended excellent manga on ADTRW and just skim/sample a buncha random series that vary from good to middling. Like if you're someone who hasn't read the best of say, Naoki Urasawa or say, gotten into Vinland Saga/Historie/I Am a Hero/etc, don't even bother validating the Gantz guy with your attention any further. I mean even with sci-fi/action manga, there are better dudes to choose from. Cool old dude though.

mooooooooom! when are those lazy fan translators going to finish yawara, and can u bring down more pizza bagel bites pls?

and i think i understand now that people who pay for a translation might think that they might be getting a better product, but thats just not right. steretypical consumerism antithesizes the theme of inuyashiki; there is no dollar tag on deus ex machina.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Izumi Konata posted:

mooooooooom! when are those lazy fan translators going to finish yawara, and can u bring down more pizza bagel bites pls?

and i think i understand now that people who pay for a translation might think that they might be getting a better product, but thats just not right. steretypical consumerism antithesizes the theme of inuyashiki; there is no dollar tag on deus ex machina.
Don't know what yawara is and I wouldn't eat a bagel bite with your mouth (I'm a joyless Cali food fascist who doesn't even eat pizza), but yeah I don't really care much for the trials and tribulations of fan translators. Where there's demand someone'll get it done at some point
Or not. Lotta manga and fan translators in the sea.

Inuyashiki's translations have gotten much better though, I'm not quite caught up.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 5, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Don't know what yawara is
Probably this one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah, I should probably read more older Naoki Urasawa I guess. I never read Yawara or Keaton (I guess there's a sequel to that now too) or Happy, just Monster/Pluto/20th Century Boys.
And at some point I'll have to see if I can get into Billy Bat, that one hasn't really stuck with me yet

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

This is still :perfect: So many great jokes, "I'll go up a Mukkuri level by morning" and the girls' pose on page 30. Wait what happened to the mystery of the red painting??

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sydnesider posted:

This is still :perfect: So many great jokes, "I'll go up a Mukkuri level by morning" and the girls' pose on page 30. Wait what happened to the mystery of the red painting??

Yeah, it's definitely one of my faves! I like how it's ostensibly got maids for the otaku appeal crowd, but over the course of the manga it's really more of a slice of life about the various quirky people living in the neighborhood. I kind of wish it was being released in tankobon format here in the States -- is there any sort of movement from Crunchyroll from licensed simulpubs to physical books? Because I'd totally buy volume releases of Soremachi!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading through the first half of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi since I had forgotten a lot of what happened then, and there are a couple strange things:

- Satoru actually makes eye contact with the culprit at one point (and knows it's the culprit because of the way his eyes look or something)! This makes it really strange for him to not recognize the culprit in the past if it's been someone like the teacher who he sees frequently.

- Satoru's mother, in the present/before she was killed, also sees the killer trying to abduct a girl and both recognizes him and feelings "a deep level of disgust" towards him. Why would she automatically feel a bunch of disgust towards the teacher? It seemed implied that she had had some bad experience with the culprit in the past (which in the comments section at the time that chapter came out had a lot of people thinking it might be the company boss who tried to marry her, though that's obviously unlikely now).

One thing that really stands out to me about that series is just how Good almost all the characters are. Almost every single non-villian character makes you think "aww, they're such a kind person!" The author has a way of drawing people's faces that makes them look really happy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has the author of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi done anything else?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Apparently, but going by the genre tags I'm not sure any of it is worth reading :smith:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Clicked one of those at random

Daibouken Hitomi-chan posted:

Continuing with more "girl accidently getting naked" theme, here's a spin-off of sorts from the Nanako series by Nouzui Majutsu & NO-NO'S (aka Kanesada Keishi and Kawara Keisuke) about Nanako's friend, Hitomi. This contains three stories about one unlucky girl and how her terrible luck always seems to result in her getting naked.

Seems like a fair guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well I guess it's a good thing none of that came over to I Am Missing then, since outside of smokin' hot mom there's really nothing fanservicey in it that I can remember

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Well, that's unfortunate.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The most recent series on there - Steal and Dead - doesn't have any ecchi/hentai tags. It might just be that the author has only recently been successful enough (either from being better at his job or from editors trusting him more or whatever) to do stuff that isn't just an excuse for fanservice. See also: Everyone in the manga industry

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

He's transitioned from (soft)hentai manga artist, to fanservice mystery/thriller stories, into non-fanservice stuff.

His stories tend to have a good premise or a good mystery but he has trouble tying everything up and sometimes the twist at the end is really really underwhelming. If you can endure seeing a woman contort herself to show some T&A while being chased by murderers then go ahead and read his previous works.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

trucutru posted:

He's transitioned from (soft)hentai manga artist, to fanservice mystery/thriller stories, into non-fanservice stuff.

His stories tend to have a good premise or a good mystery but he has trouble tying everything up and sometimes the twist at the end is really really underwhelming. If you can endure seeing a woman contort herself to show some T&A while being chased by murderers then go ahead and read his previous works.

Pretty much this. I liked Cradle of Monsters though. One of the villains there was just fantastic as was sword guy. Glad he's moved away from so much T&A though.

coathat
May 21, 2007

A bunch of cat soup just came out http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nekojiru-Udon

That's a cool dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I ironically like the lovely translation going on in Suicide Island as of late. "You...you executed these fellows?!" and such are just unintentionally hilarious

edit: tee hee hee

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 9, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is the good poo poo. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/taki-takanosuke-no-sanpo-jikan-r15006

Meet Taki Takanosuke, an elderly gentleman who likes taking walks. Along the way, he also manages to capture the hearts of many women.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

coathat posted:

This is the good poo poo. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/taki-takanosuke-no-sanpo-jikan-r15006

Meet Taki Takanosuke, an elderly gentleman who likes taking walks. Along the way, he also manages to capture the hearts of many women.

Except for the second chapter where a child falls in love with him and he pets her on the head. It's more than a little bit questionable...

This, however, is one of the most disturbing manga I've ever read -- not in a creepy way! It's somehow enhanced by the fact that it's drawn like a children's cartoon in that abstract, simplified style. It reminds me of this anti child abuse commercial.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrSunshine posted:

Except for the second chapter where a child falls in love with him and he pets her on the head. It's more than a little bit questionable...

This, however, is one of the most disturbing manga I've ever read -- not in a creepy way! It's somehow enhanced by the fact that it's drawn like a children's cartoon in that abstract, simplified style. It reminds me of this anti child abuse commercial.

Young girl has crush on older gentleman, older gentleman pats her on the head exactly like he does her cats

Truly disgusting

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Young girl has crush on older gentleman, older gentleman pats her on the head exactly like he does her cats

Truly disgusting

It's the way it's presented, with the drawings and so on, more than the fact of it. I dunno. It rubbed me the wrong way.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I would say the third chapter is more creepy, but the creep factor is so negligible that I'm practically reaching with that one.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
No, there's something... off about that manga. It feels like some kind of fedora wish fulfillment, I guess? It's not offensive or anything, it's just... uncomfortable.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You guys are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I know that wherever I go, wrapped up in my perfect hat and impenetrable middle-age mystique, totally hot babes are falling for me everywhere. They want me so bad, and I don't even notice, that's how cool I am!

I mean, obviously that's true for me as a poster, but it's just wish-fulfilment fantasy for everyone else.

EDIT: But as power fantasies go, these seem very mild and harmless - almost quaint? Still weird tho