Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

railroad terror posted:

So, basically we can assume every World Cup awarded since 1980 has been the result of fraud and bribery

What about Mexico 86? I'll be real mad if my one completed panini album is tainted with bribery allegations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Pissflaps posted:

FIFA gave me sweets and touched my bum.

Josh DUggar 4 FIFA prez

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

dex_sda posted:

Are paintings truly 'real', though, which is a requirement for something being a bribe? Real things are ephemeral by nature, whereas true art transcends the limitations imposed by both entropy and society. Makes you think

Antares posted:

Lol yeah Russia invaded a country on fabricated pretexts then made them hold sham elections, so give their world cup to the united states

Lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davecrazy posted:

At this rate I wouldn't be shocked to find out FIFA caused World War 1.

beat you to that joke

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

ephex posted:

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/...s/10417.article

No workers have died for FIFA projects in Qatar. Fact.

Just an Ecuadorian Striker.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Pissflaps posted:

ok but they're still bad people

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

That was actually Adam Johnson

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pissflaps posted:

That was Arsene Wenger

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

jaegerx posted:

That was Arsene Wenger

It'd certainly explain his obsession with Wenger's manly gait.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

PerpetualSelf posted:

Just an Ecuadorian Striker.

Given the USA's record with Colombian defenders at World Cups I'd keep quiet on things like that.

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white
This is what happens when the gremlins who invent transfer rumours are forced to write an article about blatter.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fifa-scandal-sepp-blatter-former-5826371

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

FullLeatherJacket posted:

True, but nobody actually wants to see the Irish at a World Cup

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Pissflaps posted:

Did you tell your wife about this

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Are paintings truly 'real', though, which is a requirement for something being a bribe? Real things are ephemeral by nature, whereas true art transcends the limitations imposed by both entropy and society. Makes you think

Lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/05/jack-warner-bribe-vote-egypt-world-cup

Egypt got no votes to host the world cup because they refused to bribe anyone lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/05/jack-warner-bribe-vote-egypt-world-cup

Egypt got no votes to host the world cup because they refused to bribe anyone lol
I like that the military dictatorship of Egypt is the one with the cleanest hands in the scandal so far.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Your honor, FIFA's standards are not on trial here.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Its not our fault that the sand people cant comprehend voting for their leaders WITHOUT blowing other people up. Now watch this drive.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

incredible

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Mambold posted:

lol how quickly you forgot...

lol

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Jose posted:

The first thing I got asked about when I wanted to do business in Egypt was for a bribe. Their ambassador was arrested for taking bribes a few weeks later. They have been, at the time, one of the most corrupt countries in the world. There's no way I believe any of this.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mackintosh posted:

The first thing I got asked about when I wanted to do business in Egypt was for a bribe. Their ambassador was arrested for taking bribes a few weeks later. They have been, at the time, one of the most corrupt countries in the world. There's no way I believe any of this.

When was this? Regimes change you know.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Mr. Mambold posted:

here's the bit on the ambassador:

quote:

The former Egyptian Ambassador to Poland has been detained in Cairo after corruption allegations made against him involving a land deal in the Polish capital.

The man is accused of accepting bribes to the tune of a million zloty in transactions connected with a land deal. Polish lawyers who oversaw the sale have also been detained.

Warsaw police announced that a Warsaw-based lawyer was hired by the former Ambassador to broker the deal. “The task was carried out by Jacek M.’s office who worked together with Tomasz C.. They bought the land through a middle man who then sold it on to the embassy for an inflated price,” says Dorota Tietz, spokesperson for the Warsaw police.

The Egyptian embassy took a loss of 1.42 million euros, added Tietz, explaining that, after the transaction, Jacek M. paid then-ambassador one million zloty (about 330,000 euro).

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Egypt was corrupt as gently caress during the cold war. They were one of the leaders of the unaligned movement and played the US and Soviet Union off each other, extracting massive concessions and aid (bribes) from both parties. They also hold a very strong bargaining position in trade negotiations within the region due to the suez canal.

Egypt wasnt really my thing and that is the extent of my memory

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mackintosh posted:

here's the bit on the ambassador:

Hahaha that's great. I wonder if the draw was rigged 2 years ago when they drew Ghana as the final play-in, and got slaughtered.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Do you guys think that the world cup could get taken away from qatar now? I don't care who it goes to. Just take it away.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ BK posted:

Do you guys think that the world cup could get taken away from qatar now? I don't care who it goes to. Just take it away.

mmm, good question, this is something we might have to consider

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DJ BK posted:

imo they should keep it just so we can see how many slaves will mysteriously die from normal everyday things.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

imo they should keep it just so we can see how many slaves will mysteriously die from normal everyday things.

No one has died

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Egyptian people openly rub their fingers together and say "baksheesh" which means bribes. Probably a legacy of their time with the "pyramid builders" next door

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just put Vince McMahon in charge of fifa and call it a day

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

African AIDS cum posted:

Egyptian people openly rub their fingers together and say "baksheesh" which means bribes. Probably a legacy of their time with the "pyramid builders" next door

Didn't realize the Nubians loved bribes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

he means aliens u fuckin idiot

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What's a Nubian?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

What's a Nubian?

What's a nubian with you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coyIVpYwUyE

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

What's a Nubian?

it's the black guy from stargate i'm like 99% sure

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
great thread

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
The Egyptian delegation expected to be paid bribes by FIFA to host the WC - the meeting was a real life Monty Python sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jombo posted:

The Egyptian delegation expected to be paid bribes by FIFA to host the WC - the meeting was a real life Monty Python sketch.

Just two delegations sitting at the table, twiddling their thumbs.

"So... how're the kids?"
"Oh, they're super. Really super."
"Right." *checks watch while the other guy whistles*