Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The .357 texture in WRP is broken, install the standalone millenia 357 retex over the top to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

The .357 texture in WRP is broken, install the standalone millenia 357 retex over the top to fix it.

I had a feeling there was a reason for that standalone one. I'll just grab that if it's a known problem, thanks!

With just WRP installed it seems fine but things get squiggly once I've got WMX involved, even with the compatibility patches.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Just a heads up, all the Fallout games are on sale on Steam if anyone still needs/wants them.

Also, for anyone else like me who had no idea what I was doing, this guide: http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas worked great. It takes some time; I followed the whole thing over a few days, but it's ran like a charm (except for some random bugginess/lock ups, but not that many really).

While I'm here, how bad is it to go over the 140 or whatever plugin limit? I've trimmed my list down some, but if I find any more mods, I was wondering what my options were. I know merging works, but I'm still foggy on how that all applies to different things. The only things I really want to add are more guns and armor options.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goon with grass issues on the last page - try the No AA patch in the optionals on the Wasteland Flora Overhaul page:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856/

Quasipox posted:

Just a heads up, all the Fallout games are on sale on Steam if anyone still needs/wants them.

Also, for anyone else like me who had no idea what I was doing, this guide: http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas worked great. It takes some time; I followed the whole thing over a few days, but it's ran like a charm (except for some random bugginess/lock ups, but not that many really).

While I'm here, how bad is it to go over the 140 or whatever plugin limit? I've trimmed my list down some, but if I find any more mods, I was wondering what my options were. I know merging works, but I'm still foggy on how that all applies to different things. The only things I really want to add are more guns and armor options.

Your milage may vary but I always get instability in games with 135+ plugins running around 16 hours of gameplay, which is truly a bummer when you're trying to shoot things in the wasteland for any extended time.

However, merging is a huge help and that mod merge xEdit script is one of the best things to happen to modding these games in a long time.

e: Also I run with about 167 ESP files, most of those are patches, though. Wrye Flash gets that down to about 133, and merging mods like the Uncut Series and random one-off tweak mods gets me down to 95 active ESP files (also the lowest number for any gamebryo/bethesda game in my steam library - a testament to how good FNV is without mods I guess)

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 5, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Goon with grass issues on the last page - try the No AA patch in the optionals on the Wasteland Flora Overhaul page:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856/

I just gave up. Even if I fix the grass/trees/etc there's still huge invisible holes in ceilings and all kinds of other bugs.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Quasipox posted:

You can just CTD on startup, or the engine can just poo poo and die. Outside of CTD and the game freezes, you're also more likely to experience scripting errors. The Combat AI in the game can bug out and just not activate: lots of people sneering at you but not actually doing anything.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Frankly posted:

I had a feeling there was a reason for that standalone one. I'll just grab that if it's a known problem, thanks!

With just WRP installed it seems fine but things get squiggly once I've got WMX involved, even with the compatibility patches.

WMX-WRP requires all of Millenia's retexes, but WRP itself hasn't been updated to include all those retexes. There's a list of required files in the WMX-WRP readme.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I seem to recall a mod that made Fallout into more of a straight-up shooter game, designed to be played without VATS. Does anyone remember what that was or if it was any good?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gort posted:

I seem to recall a mod that made Fallout into more of a straight-up shooter game, designed to be played without VATS. Does anyone remember what that was or if it was any good?

Kind of vague, but here is the gameplay overhaul I'm using now:

Base mods
- Project Nevada (Core + Equipment + Extra Options + Rebalance)
- JSawyer + JSawyer Patch for Project Nevada Leather Backpacks (to balance carry weight)
- CCO Classic Perks
- CCO Perk Rebalance
- CCO Follower Tweaks
- Vicious Wastes (with CCO FT, Jsawyer, Bottle that Water, and Project Nevada compatibility patches.)
- Weapon Mods Expanded
- Realistic Weapon Names (for inventory sorter fixes/GRA tag removal on everything - can also rename all the guns in a game to real life counterparts if need be.)
- CalibreX
- Intuitive Realistic Cooking (for cooking in ovens/etc.)
- Enhanced Camera

Combat Specific
- FPS Weapon Wheel
- Melee Hotkey
- Puce Moose Tweak and Balance Center - Responsive Kill Reactions
- NPCs Consume Ammo
- XFO Combat Behavior
- Combat Enhancer/Modified Combat Values (testing these two out right now.)

and the big one -

- Gun Behavior Mod Merge - combination of recoil/reloading/autoaim mods that make gameplay much more challenging.

I do not recommend Increased Wasteland Spawns if you're going with this setup, as it is really tough to take Novac early on.

Another mod I'm trying out is STUN which, while probably developed as a rape simulator mod, is a pretty good way to make stealth gameplay more engaging through tranq guns/darts, handcuffing/subduing enemies, etc.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Does anybody know of a good ironsights mod for Fallout 3? I tried RH_Ironsights and it made the game crash immediately on startup, regardless of load order.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

Does anybody know of a good ironsights mod for Fallout 3? I tried RH_Ironsights and it made the game crash immediately on startup, regardless of load order.

Tale of Two Wastelands.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I replaced "Johnny Guitar" with "Rags to Riches" in my installation

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm thinking of reinstalling and finally beating New Vegas but I want to try something different and stupid. Are there any good unarmed combat mods?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's fantastic :allears:, any chance of seeing it in action?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
So I have WMX and weapons of the new milennia installed, however it seems like many of WMX's 'generic' mods (by bullet caliber) don't work with them?

for instance, the GSh-18 is a 9mm handgun. i have the 9mm silencer (which will attach to both the 9mm pistol and submachine gun) but wont attach to the gsh-18.

Did I miss a compatibility patch or do these just not work how I'm thinking they should?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So I've had new vegas for years now and never done a legion run. Any mods to recommend for that side of the mojave?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Can I add Lombard station to an ongoing game? Also, where is it?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tabletops posted:

So I have WMX and weapons of the new milennia installed, however it seems like many of WMX's 'generic' mods (by bullet caliber) don't work with them?

for instance, the GSh-18 is a 9mm handgun. i have the 9mm silencer (which will attach to both the 9mm pistol and submachine gun) but wont attach to the gsh-18.

Did I miss a compatibility patch or do these just not work how I'm thinking they should?
You need an interoperability patch. WotNM weapons are modded only with WotNM mods without it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Tabletops posted:

That's not at all how it works. WNM has its own modkits for its own weapons, as will any other weapon mod that is released separately. WMX presumably only works with stock weapons though I suppose any mod maker that chooses to use it as a master could also draw upon its modkits as a resource for their own weapons.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's fantastic :allears:, any chance of seeing it in action?

Working on it. At the moment, I appear to have completely deleted Radio New Vegas somehow :ohdear:

Time to reinstall and stuff.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v1ZCOpH2z0

YouTube will probably slap an ad on it soon for copyright on the tiny fragment of Tony Bennett, but gently caress it. I don't do ad revenue anyhow.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 6, 2015

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I feel like a loving idiot trying to mod this. I'm getting an application load error, where 10 minutes prior it was working fine. Tried creating a symbolic link through cmd prompt to the steam directory (my steam games are in a different directory) and it didn't work. Game is just ctding on launch in MO.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brainamp posted:

So I've had new vegas for years now and never done a legion run. Any mods to recommend for that side of the mojave?

Caesar's New Regime might be a cool mod to check out.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Tabletops posted:

I feel like a loving idiot trying to mod this. I'm getting an application load error, where 10 minutes prior it was working fine. Tried creating a symbolic link through cmd prompt to the steam directory (my steam games are in a different directory) and it didn't work. Game is just ctding on launch in MO.

I think if you manage to get FNV running perfectly the first time without crashing with all of your mods in sync, you qualify for sainthood by the Catholic church.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tabletops posted:

If it makes you feel better F:NV is one of my favorite games of all time and I stopped playing for this very reason.

Also that Johnny Guitar cut is fantastic.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

For someone that want's to revisit Fallout 3 (already played New Vegas a fuckload of times), what would be some good mods to shake things up, the stuff that changes a LOT, you know?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

frajaq posted:

For someone that want's to revisit Fallout 3 (already played New Vegas a fuckload of times), what would be some good mods to shake things up, the stuff that changes a LOT, you know?

This seems to be a pretty popular question lately, but I've always felt that a combination of:

Fallout Wanderer's Edition: Highly configurable gameplay overhaul that serves as a good "base" for a modding rampage in the same way that Project Nevada is for New Vegas.
Mart's Mutant Mod: An overhaul of enemies/mutants/wildlife, including a bunch of adjustable optional features.
Weapon Mod Kits (WMK): Gives you the ability to modify FO3 weapons in a similar (albeit less expansive) manner to New Vegas' own weapon modding system.
Better Living Through Chems: Significantly tweaks preexisting chemical items (i.e. Stimpaks, Buffout, Psycho, etc.) and adds a whole bunch of new chems to the game; also gives them various visual effects. So if you pop something like MDMA, things will get "fuzzy" while colors become intense and vibrant; alcohols will increasingly blur your vision as you drink more and more, etc.
DCInteriors Project: A much more ambitious project than we ever got for New Vegas; adds a ton of new interior locations across the map that help make the DC ruins more interesting to explore.
Fellout: Like DCInteriors Project, FO3's Fellout is a lot more extensive than the version for NV. It basically acts like a lighting and weather overhaul.

That's in addition to the FOIP patches and modules that will make all of these mods work together, the "quality of life" modding (like installing DarnUI for fonts/HUD), and graphical stuff like NMC's Textures and the Hi-Res Weapons Pack V3.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Most people seem to recommend revisiting FO3 through FNV using TTW though. Far more stable and with some work FNV mods will work and cross over into the capital wasteland too.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That looks good, thank you!

Do these mods help solve the bullet-sponge enemies problem in Vanilla, like super mutant overlords and albino radscorpions?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

That looks good, thank you!

Do these mods help solve the bullet-sponge enemies problem in Vanilla, like super mutant overlords and albino radscorpions?

Hmmm that's a good question. FWE, for example, has a "global damage" multiplier that defaults to 2.0x, meaning that you'll kill (and be killed) twice as quick at the same amount of HP; it's adjustable up to 3.0x. Mart's Mutant Mod has options to influence NPC stat scaling, as well. It's been a while for me, but I think the answer to your question is (at least partially) "yes".

Naky posted:

Most people seem to recommend revisiting FO3 through FNV using TTW though. Far more stable and with some work FNV mods will work and cross over into the capital wasteland too.

Yeah, this is true too.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm looking to play with the Nevada-FOOK convergence after playing once unmodded, but I'm not clear how exactly to install all the components - the readme just says 'install' with a list of priority, and I'm not sure if I can just dump the contents of every folder into Data or if I need to use Fomod folders where available or package everything into a Fomod if it isn't already?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

gently caress. I installed this Chinese pistol and it's great so far... Except for the lack of a rear sight notch. The model wasn't intended to be used with irons in FO3 and it shows. Anyone have a fix before I try and learn how to edit 3D models for the first time?

Art mimics real life. Here, have a vid of an actual Chinese pistol with a useless rear sight.
https://youtu.be/byEIP9mRAwA

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 6, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MrBims posted:

I'm looking to play with the Nevada-FOOK convergence after playing once unmodded, but I'm not clear how exactly to install all the components - the readme just says 'install' with a list of priority, and I'm not sure if I can just dump the contents of every folder into Data or if I need to use Fomod folders where available or package everything into a Fomod if it isn't already?

Install them normally in the order the readme says, follow the individual mod's installation instructions, and then delete the plugins the Convergence readme tells you to get rid off. I think you can just dump the mods into the data folder where applicable and install the Fomods like you'd normally do, just do it in the right order.

It's been a while since I played with Convergence and that was with an earlier version, so I might be forgetting or missing some important details. I also installed it with Mod Organizer, which helped mitigate headaches related to overwriting issues and installation order.

All that said, the Convergence readme do feel a bit barebones. I'm still not sure whether Convergence and its associated mods should be early or late in my load order (It's early, right?).

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 6, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Missing Name posted:

Working on it. At the moment, I appear to have completely deleted Radio New Vegas somehow :ohdear:

Time to reinstall and stuff.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v1ZCOpH2z0

YouTube will probably slap an ad on it soon for copyright on the tiny fragment of Tony Bennett, but gently caress it. I don't do ad revenue anyhow.

Could you put up your altered audio file somewhere?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Install them normally in the order the readme says, follow the individual mod's installation instructions, and then delete the plugins the Convergence readme tells you to get rid off. I think you can just dump the mods into the data folder where applicable and install the Fomods like you'd normally do, just do it in the right order.

It's been a while since I played with Convergence and that was with an earlier version, so I might be forgetting or missing some important details. I also installed it with Mod Organizer, which helped mitigate headaches related to overwriting issues and installation order.

All that said, the Convergence readme do feel a bit barebones. I'm still not sure whether Convergence and its associated mods should be early or late in my load order (It's early, right?).

Latest Loot releases already do a good job sorting the Convergence patches correctly. I believe the only thing that's not working properly is PN-FOOK with GRA Right to Bear Arms. That has to be loaded dead last, at least on my install, because it overwrites too much poo poo from Fook-PN to be resolved easily.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is the "100 dangerous places" "a world of pain" mod worth installing? I just want to add random encounters, that aren't tied to a narrative.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 6, 2015

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Figured I'd ask again since I couldn't find any documentation when I searched Google, if I add Lombardi station where is it?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Caesar's New Regime might be a cool mod to check out.
This looked pretty cool at first, but then I found this.

:nexus:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Please help me figure something out.

I have a Laser Rifle (With all 3 mods), and a Tri-Beam GRA laser Rifle (with two mods).

I have 70+ science and the 'vigilant recycler' perk. I made myself a fair amount (100) of optimized Microfusion Cell rounds, but I cannot equip them in either laser rifle - the normal one, or the GRA tri-beam.

What am I doing wrong?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NuminaXLT posted:

Figured I'd ask again since I couldn't find any documentation when I searched Google, if I add Lombardi station where is it?

It's linked in the OP under "Homes, Dungeons, and Worldspace".

Here's a direct link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Woebin posted:

This looked pretty cool at first, but then I found this.

:nexus:

Aw, it seemed to have started out as a really good mod, too. I guess it could be worse.