Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

drrockso20 posted:

Which makes it even worse for Randomizer than it does for standard play(KOTH and CTF work best in my opinion with Randomizer)
Nah. Randomizer with respawn is like being punished for doing well, you kill 15 dudes with a pomsom and you can count on at least some of them coming back as something broken like medic w/ stickies. It gets annoying really quickly. Eventually you will spawn with the jackpot loadout. Respawning just means people that die more get to keep re-rolling until they win the loadout lottery yet again. Conversely, the reward for doing well with a crappy loadout is: you continue playing the crappy loadout.

Arena solves all these problems. Besting others with similarly gimped randomizer loadouts does not increase the frequency with which you must face stock heavies and such. You get what you get, they get what they get. And when you manage to kill a backburner scout using an overdose it actually means something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sanctum posted:

Nah. Randomizer with respawn is like being punished for doing well, you kill 15 dudes with a pomsom and you can count on at least some of them coming back as something broken like medic w/ stickies. It gets annoying really quickly. Eventually you will spawn with the jackpot loadout. Respawning just means people that die more get to keep re-rolling until they win the loadout lottery yet again. Conversely, the reward for doing well with a crappy loadout is: you continue playing the crappy loadout.

Arena solves all these problems. Besting others with similarly gimped randomizer loadouts does not increase the frequency with which you must face stock heavies and such. You get what you get, they get what they get. And when you manage to kill a backburner scout using an overdose it actually means something.

Yeah that can be a problem but it's better than dying in the first 30 seconds and then having to wait potentially up to 5 minutes before getting to play again(that's happened to me way too often playing Randomizer, although the average is about 2-3 minutes which is still completely unacceptable) which completely ruins the game's momentum no matter what angle you're looking at

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wanna see pl_badwater_sideways again. Also that upward_abandoned map looks pretty gorgeous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Laputanmachine posted:

Best map.

The only map that I know of that uses the swamp assets. Played it many years back and after that it fell into obscurity for some reason. It's a good koth map and I'm glad to see it in the workshop.

The guy that made moonshine isn't happy with it.. he really hates the lighting. The map does play pretty well though.

Also he had a kid and is working a million hours a week so you know there's that.

He also was one of the brains behind cp_stoneyridge, which is an okay map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah that can be a problem but it's better than dying in the first 30 seconds and then having to wait potentially up to 5 minutes before getting to play again(that's happened to me way too often playing Randomizer, although the average is about 2-3 minutes which is still completely unacceptable) which completely ruins the game's momentum no matter what angle you're looking at

Spending half an hour on five (usually brief) lives in a row with revolver/melee only loadouts sure is wacky and fun!!!

KOTH is pretty much ideal for randomizer, assuming the server has proper respawn times. There's a certain amount of built-in balance to respawn rolls: a team that dies a lot has more chances to roll up an overpowered loadout, but the more a team dies the worse their position is and the harder it will be to come back even with really good weapons. In longer matches things still inevitably get hosed up since players can sandbag good loadouts and wait until things line up so that their team has a roster full of unstoppable killmachines, but KOTH matches really just aren't long enough for one team to accumulate unbalanced levels of bullshit.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Hoping Fishbus will get pl_goldrock and updated cp_freight into the game through the workshop now.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Are Funhaver Favorites like Poodoo and Whoa up yet?

If not why the gently caress not?
I can ask the guy who made poodoo to upload it (he's getting his good stuff first then goofy rear end maps later). Dunno who even made whoaaaaaa though so that could be a problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the best feature of the workshop is we're now downloading the maps from Valve's servers (which if I remember right are backed by akamai so it's pretty goddamn fast) instead of some server admin's crappy web server that chokes and dies when more than two people are trying to fetch a bsp.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Hoping Fishbus will get pl_goldrock and updated cp_freight into the game through the workshop now.

Wait, that was over a year ago. I remember all the community tests and everything. I thought Valve had added those, but of course not. Pathetic.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

GameboyHero posted:

I can ask the guy who made poodoo to upload it (he's getting his good stuff first then goofy rear end maps later). Dunno who even made whoaaaaaa though so that could be a problem.

God love it, but Whoa shouldn't make the cut. It's a blast to play, but it's also a guaranteed server crash.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

God love it, but Whoa shouldn't make the cut. It's a blast to play, but it's also a guaranteed server crash.

You can fix the crashes with a plugin.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I think it's time someone asked the important question: When is Valve going to add an option to disable item drops?

At some point it's just a nuisance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can answer your important question: never. Just to spite you.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just turn them into metal and then into keys or whatever. Hell trade the metal for trading cards and put it all on the market place. It literally becomes free money

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, that was over a year ago. I remember all the community tests and everything. I thought Valve had added those, but of course not. Pathetic.

I had a chat with him on his stream and he sent Valve the maps and didn't get much of a response other than "we'll look at it."

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Oh hey, I enjoy your Idle Thumbs mannconomy correspondance.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It literally becomes free money

I did this and now I'm a dimellionaire. Rollin' in Roosevelts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Dark One posted:

Oh hey, I enjoy your Idle Thumbs mannconomy correspondance.
Did they read the most recent email I sent them? I sent it like a week+ ago but I don't think it made it in time for the last one, haven't listened to this week's yet.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Captain Invictus posted:

Did they read the most recent email I sent them? I sent it like a week+ ago but I don't think it made it in time for the last one, haven't listened to this week's yet.

If the letter was about the bottoming out of genuines and vintages values, the fall of upper-tier unusuals & the flooding of ugly killstreak effects, then yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sweet, hope someone who hasn't heard my emails before is on so they can be baffled by the existence of the tf2 hatconomy

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Kritzkast folks are doing another run of Meet Your Makers interviews with community folkses. The last day (tomorrow) includes a Q&A with Valve, which should be interesting as apparently they sprang a couple of surprises like the Map Workshop, but in the meantime you can read about how some folks have had their lives changed for the better by making videogame hats (and maps and movies, but who cares about those?)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Dark One posted:

If the letter was about the bottoming out of genuines and vintages values, the fall of upper-tier unusuals & the flooding of ugly killstreak effects, then yes.

I hope it was a congratulatory letter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you're pinging triple digits what's a good way to rectify that?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're pinging triple digits what's a good way to rectify that?

Stop living in Australia.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

Stop living in Australia.

Canada, thank you

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Canada, thank you

Oh in that case then go tell the moose to hold your antennae higher.

Haha but all seriousness, there's not a lot you can do other than improve your actual connection. If you are still getting bad ping while connected directly to your router even when connecting to your closest servers, then there's not much you can do. There should be some config changes in the op that can potentially improve your connection a bit, though that won't improve your ping. And make sure that you are looking at all the potential servers rather than just a selection of them. If you're using wifi then look into getting a hardline connection, or at least a powerline adapter. Otherwise, trying switching internet providers. There should be plenty of servers available with good ping from anywhere in lower Canada.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 6, 2015

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I really wish that if some unwashed pleb is going to be rude enough to interrupt my freeze-cam taunt by killing me that they would at least have the common goddamn courtesy to taunt in my freeze cam.

The nerve of some people.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You do have the chance of the guy you killed getting a freezecam of you taunting while being beaten to death by a scout or whatever, which is a step up

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Still my favorite screenshot I've taken in any game. The Demoman is my IRL bro too, which makes it better

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IronicDongz posted:

You do have the chance of the guy you killed getting a freezecam of you taunting while being beaten to death by a scout or whatever, which is a step up

similar

edit:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

How about being violated by a heavy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

Hahahaha, perfect

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

xzzy posted:

The demo's expression in that is so perfect. It's up there with scout.jpg.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

Oh, wow.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

Ummm... Wow.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
this comes from my favourite kill cam.

if only the damned target was shown

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Last night's game between [R]eason and TLR, two of the top Euro 6s teams, was an absolute blast and the VOD is definitely worth a watch, first map especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vexsq1FXKo&hd=1

Map 1 starts at 12:06 and map 2 starts at 1:07:09.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

xzzy posted:

Ouch.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

xzzy posted:

Nothing like a lead enema to clear out the pipes