Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Best worst deck in standard right now is mono u robits. Sometimes I win with a turn 2 5/5 flyer and most of the time I draw all springleaf drums, chief engineers, and renowned weaponsmiths for the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My favorite "bad" deck is my Esper Mill list in Modern, but I made the finals of the last two Modern events where I ran (winning one) so now I'm afraid to run it for fear of crashing back down to Earth. For a brief time I also had a wack Modern variant of the old Kuldotha Red deck from Zendikar/Scars Standard that I goldfished to a 20-damage turn 2, that was fun.

E: I was also one of those filthy MURDERGOATS casuals in RTR/THS Standard, I think I only won like 10% of my matches with that deck but I'll be damned if it didn't confuse the hell out of people piloting much better decks. I was one turn away from winning a match against Mono-black Devotion at the height of its power too!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 5, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Standard being poo poo-awful doesn't help.

Oh hey Abzan finally took over the format didn't it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Music For Cats posted:

This was limited so unfortunately I only played four rounds with it, but my favorite deck ever to play was in Magic 2013 sealed. Two of my rares were awful, Door to Nothingness and Boundless Realms, but together they were a win condition. I won a match by pulling the combo off two games in a row.

I think more generally, my favorite decks in Magic are really unusual limited decks that work on a completely different axis than normal limited decks of the format. I started playing in Innistrad so that's probably why I enjoy them.

My favorite deck I ever had in limited was Skybind Control at midnight Journey to Nyx prerelease. The best was when I assembled the Skybind/Keepsake Gorgon combo and killed my opponent's best creature 4 turns in a row.

https://deckbox.org/sets/670105

TheKingofSprings posted:

We get it. You don't like Junk.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hello! I'm glad you awoke from your cryo-pod and wish to welcome you to 8 months in the future!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is why I will continue to play Mardu Dragons until Stormbreath rotates because it shits so hard over basically every version of that deck except the absolute most controlling versions where it is merely a coin toss.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anti-Citizen posted:

Same applies to Solidarity, a lot of nontraditional engine decks are like that, where there are these insane lines of play that can get out of any situation, that really aren't apparent to all but the most Savant players.
This is why I love doomsday so much. I had a game where I was 1 mana short of beating gaddock teeg and 2 leyline of sanctities by casting the same copy of chain of vapor 3 times in one turn. I have also had a ton of crazy ones where you need to use top and brainstorm to hide cards that you need to cast with an LED, its like building a mini doomsday pile before you actually cast doomsday.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hello! I'm glad you awoke from your cryo-pod and wish to welcome you to 8 months in the future!

Abzan was always dominant but it wasn't 37% of the format dominant

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My favorite deck of all time was a Spellshaper Grixis deck that abused Spellshapers with Squee and killed with Crosis. Got me into a top 8 of a Game Center Championships baaaaack in the day.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I miss Prophet Bant. There was nothing more fun than tapping a million mana, making Polukranos a 25/25, and then playing Zegana and drawing my entire deck.

And THEN Revving for 8. :getin:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I miss my mono red devotion deck back when Boros Reckoner was still in standard. He was such a good card, him and fanatic of mogis was such good bros.

Best deck I played which I didn't like was mono white aggro with brave the elements last rotation, it was dirt cheap and absolutely crushed everyone when you got to a critical mass of white creatures and you just showed the brave the elements with the "sorry about that" look on your face. It felt super dirty to play with.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

AlternateNu posted:

This is why I will continue to play Mardu Dragons until Stormbreath rotates because it shits so hard over basically every version of that deck except the absolute most controlling versions where it is merely a coin toss.

Decklist, immediately.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Alris posted:

Decklist, immediately.

This.

Mardu Dragons deck list, please. I'm looking for more fun than esper Dragons.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

does anyone remember that mono-white clerics deck from odyssey/onslaught standard because that deck was sick if only it could have reliably splashed black for rotlung reanimator

The only mono white cleric deck I remember is life but that was an extended deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

The only mono white cleric deck I remember is life but that was an extended deck.

life.dec was not monowhite

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alris posted:

Decklist, immediately.

A deck that got more expensive when people realized Kolaghan's Command was you know, loving good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Who wants to give me a bunch of loving money for an 8th edition hand painted full art blood moon? At the recent rate of price rises I'm thinking 16k.

Angry Grimace posted:

A deck that got more expensive when people realized Kolaghan's Command was you know, loving good.

God drat that card is fantastic, I blew out affinity, abzan midrange and a few home brews last weekend with that card alone.
Jund is making a pretty hard comeback with that card as a 3 of.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 5, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Anyone play Esper Dragons? I'm almost done building it, except for the worst part, Dragonlord Ojutai. Luckily my roommate has 2 I may be able to borrow for FNM tomorrow. Assuming my other 3 Temples of Enlightment don't arrive tomorrow, I've only got access to 2 (borrowing 1 from roommate). I do have 4 polluted deltas, 4 flooded strand, 4 temples of deceit, the 2 Caves of Koilos, and 2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon. Is the deck still worth playing with only 2 Ojutai? I can fill in gaps with 2 Dragonlord Silumgar and Icefall Regents for more dragons. Plus Silumgar's Scorn is awesome and I want to use that. I kinda built that Shoota Yasooka dragons UB control but I haven't seen anyone really playing that anymore with any success, it's all Abzan/Green/Atarka Red (My main thing).
Should I just stick to Atarka Red until I can scrounge up 3 or 4? I keep getting my atarka red rear end kicked by den protector/siege rhino decks, and I would love to dissolve a siege rhino. So much.
edit: And is there any reason for me to own 4 instead of 3 Ashiok?

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 5, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Really the only two decks I've built are murdergoats and fog-gates, very fun to play but fell apart to rg monsters and u/b devotion variants.... so every deck in that standard :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm still playing my favourite deck - Jeskai tokens with Mentor rather than Rabblemaster :allears:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm playing my first Modern FNM tonight after hating on modern for years. Rolling up with Grixis delver unless I feel stupid and play the daft Goryo's Narset glass cannon that's been doing the rounds.

Modern seems to be getting more and more popular locally to me, so I guess investing now while some prices have gone down and before some go up further isn't too bad an idea. I suppose it opens up more big boy tournaments to me too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Xaerael posted:

I'm playing my first Modern FNM tonight after hating on modern for years. Rolling up with Grixis delver unless I feel stupid and play the daft Goryo's Narset glass cannon that's been doing the rounds.

Modern seems to be getting more and more popular locally to me, so I guess investing now while some prices have gone down and before some go up further isn't too bad an idea. I suppose it opens up more big boy tournaments to me too.

Modern is a Good Format

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

bhsman posted:

Here's a derail for those of you who would like to participate: What is a deck you played that didn't win you a lot of games but was consistently fun? Likewise, what was a deck that won you a lot of games but just didn't jive with your playstyle or gave you no pleasure?

During INN-RTR Standard, I played a five-color FNM Clown Unexpected Results OmniDoor Superfriends pile that was a ton of fun. I also had Jund and coin-flipped to pick a deck on the morning of GP Kitakyushu - came up Results. Went 1-X drop but every single opponent told me they were terrified of what my deck might do.

I pretty much only play Legacy now and I've been lucky to be reasonably successful with the decks I truly love (Cloudpost and Junk/4C Loam). I guess I have yet to manage much success with the awesome Thought Lash/Future Sight combo but one of these days I'm gonna sleeve it up again.

As for good decks I just don't dig, RUG Delver. Just could not get excited about it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

mfcrocker posted:

Modern is a Good Format

I found the "affordable" price barrier as a 10 years quit returning player obnoxious, but I've been accumulating new cards since Scars, and only really needed to grab a few bits to make Delver. Longer term, I'm planning to convert it into UR twin since so many pieces cross over, but I'm finding really boring stuff for trade like Sulfur falls and grim lavamancers is proving far harder than it really should be. I've had those suckers on my Pucatrade list for ages and no bites.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

bhsman posted:

Here's a derail for those of you who would like to participate: What is a deck you played that didn't win you a lot of games but was consistently fun?

Someone in one of the Deckbuilder threads posted a Dimir list that was an absolute joy to play back in RTR/THS. It was at its heart a Mill deck revolving around Phenax, but with lots of aggressive cards like Wight of Precinct Six, Lazav and Consuming Aberration, so even without ever hitting a Phenax there was a decent chance you could simply out-agro your opponent. The recent BG Constellation deck featuring Eidolon of Blossoms was a lot of fun too, the amount of card draw you could have going almost felt like cheating, plus you had Vraska who was aways fun to have around.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Xaerael posted:

I found the "affordable" price barrier as a 10 years quit returning player obnoxious, but I've been accumulating new cards since Scars, and only really needed to grab a few bits to make Delver. Longer term, I'm planning to convert it into UR twin since so many pieces cross over, but I'm finding really boring stuff for trade like Sulfur falls and grim lavamancers is proving far harder than it really should be. I've had those suckers on my Pucatrade list for ages and no bites.

I had a similar thing coming back in Gatecrash. Thankfully, the reprint fairy has been very good to me since then.

The majority of what I've needed to pick up has been shocks and fetches. Roll on October for the rest of those. At the moment I'm playing UW Gifts Tron which thankfully only plays Strands.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

I had a similar thing coming back in Gatecrash. Thankfully, the reprint fairy has been very good to me since then.

The majority of what I've needed to pick up has been shocks and fetches. Roll on October for the rest of those. At the moment I'm playing UW Gifts Tron which thankfully only plays Strands.

I'm just being a cheapskate and running Khans fetches in my deck until the enemy fetches are reprinted. TBH, in all my test runs, I don't think I've ever had a situation where I've found a Delta/Mire less convenient than a Tarn. I guess that could change when I start running Twin, but hopefully it won't be a long wait till I can get sets of the Zen fetches.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hopping Ghost posted:

As for good decks I just don't dig, RUG Delver. Just could not get excited about it.

Bad opinions all around ITT.

Actually I can completely see why someone wouldn't like RUG Delver, but god do I love it. I was playing with my friend the other day. The game went something like this:
Him: Dual go.
Me: Delver go.
Him: Play a Fetch go.
Me: Flip Delver, Waste his dual, Daze the Brainstorm he cast off of the dual, Stifle his fetch when he tried to fight back. Attack 6 times, win with a total of 2 permanents in play.

I can't not play a deck that can do that kind of nonsense.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Anyone going to origins?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Maze's End, best Standard deck ever

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

suicidesteve posted:

Bad opinions all around ITT.

Actually I can completely see why someone wouldn't like RUG Delver, but god do I love it. I was playing with my friend the other day. The game went something like this:
Him: Dual go.
Me: Delver go.
Him: Play a Fetch go.
Me: Flip Delver, Waste his dual, Daze the Brainstorm he cast off of the dual, Stifle his fetch when he tried to fight back, Daze his Force. Attack 6 times, win with a total of 2 permanents in play.

I can't not play a deck that can do that kind of nonsense.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Modern is great when you're playing homebrew decks with Modern legal cards instead of the same Modern tier 1 netdecks that everyone plays. Burn, Infect, Twin, Tron, Delver, *yawn*

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Modern is great when you're playing homebrew decks with Modern legal cards instead of the same Modern tier 1 netdecks that everyone plays. Burn, Infect, Twin, Tron, Delver, *yawn*

That's legacy dude.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Let me tell you about the Modern Maze's End/scapeshift deck I inspired a friend to make, and pilot to a #1 at a reasonably big unsanctioned tournament.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
lol people are using "netdecks" as a pejorative in this thread, we are officially mtgsalvation

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

That's a funny way to say Elixir of Immortality Azorius Control.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

My favorite deck ever was the original combo deck, prosp bloom

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

https://deckbox.org/sets/670105

We get it. You don't like Junk.

Like 4 out of 10 people are playing it in competitive standard right now dude

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lancelot posted:

lol people are using "netdecks" as a pejorative in this thread, we are officially mtgsalvation

We've fallen down that rabbit hole a long time ago. Look at who the most active posters are.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Soo modern is great but all of the most popular decks are boring but it's still great because

Where does this fit on the netdeck scale? Would I be accused of being a filthy netdecker? Is it the Tarmogoyfs?

Lancelot posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I try really hard to not let this happen but one man can only do so much. Its not like im Brothers Yamazaki here

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like 4 out of 10 people are playing it in competitive standard right now dude

That's a higher percentage than much maligned and obviously needs to be banned because it's such a big percentage of the field Modern combo deck Splinter Twin!!

• Locked thread