Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

People netdeck my Sorin Markov combo decks in Modern so much I hate it with my life they will not leave the Hidetsugu's Second Rite alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Where does this fit on the netdeck scale? Would I be accused of being a filthy netdecker? Is it the Tarmogoyfs?

Get out of here, try hard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Get out of here, try hard.

But it's a homebrew! I don't want to be a mudblood netdecker!

I'll play Terravores instead. Are they modern legal?! How about Skyshroud War Beast?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I've never understood the disdain some people have for "netdecks/netdecking" If someone else has figured out a winning strategy that you like, why not copy it? It just seems idiotic to dislike the practice.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

rabidsquid posted:

My favorite deck ever was the original combo deck, prosp bloom

Stasis-tog, aka "hope you didn't want to play Magic!". God, I loved that dumb deck, especially when playing it against someone who'd never seen it before.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

I've never understood the disdain some people have for "netdecks/netdecking" If someone else has figured out a winning strategy that you like, why not copy it? It just seems idiotic to dislike the practice.

Just like Modern Masters cards aren't real Magic: the Gathering cards, netdecks aren't real decks and netdeckers aren't real wizards.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Alris posted:

The recent BG Constellation deck featuring Eidolon of Blossoms was a lot of fun too, the amount of card draw you could have going almost felt like cheating, plus you had Vraska who was aways fun to have around.

Yeah that was Rock Stars from RTR/THS Standard. :3: That was also a fun deck but Eidolon being 4cmc really made it clunky for me; I'm happy to see other players having success with it as a Devotion deck. I also had a friend that I never really hear speak in terms of decks being 'fun' to play, but he loved playing Murdergoats and Rock Stars, and thinking about it I think the reason he and a lot of people loved the Goats deck was because it was both interactive with the opponent (hand disruption, removal, etc.) while also a lot of multi-line plays due to how well the deck interacted with itself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sooo, how long till m16 spoilers?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

It leads to some homogeneous metas where things aren't as spicy as they could be and also makes Magic more pay to win since these sorts of decks are highly desired and therefore require cash rares. It's easy to understand, sometimes Magic is just more fun with a random pile of cards, as Richard Garfield dreamed. In practice, everyone wants to have the best deck possible, so that doesn't work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Sooo, how long till m16 spoilers?

Monday.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Madmarker posted:

I honestly have no problem against it. It's just dumb to constantly play against those decks all the time because they're established tier 1 decks that anyone can pilot .

Granted, I played with friends in a more relaxed kitchen table environment so seeing fun, interactive homebrews is what's fun to me vs seeing a constant 3rd or 4th turn Infect win or some other Delver combo you've seen and played a million other times piloted by a million different people.

Of course the topic is subjective nor do I really expect everyone else to agree.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Thought it started on the 15th? Which, OK, is also a Monday, but I'm taking it you meant next Monday.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Just like Modern Masters cards aren't real Magic: the Gathering cards, netdecks aren't real decks and netdeckers aren't real wizards.

Goddamn, I love that I brought this in.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xaerael posted:

Thought it started on the 15th? Which, OK, is also a Monday, but I'm taking it you meant next Monday.

Yeah, I mean Monday the 8th, not the 15th. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's this one.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I guess I never got the hate for netdecking in terms of seeing decks all the time (unless a particular type of card was truly obnoxious like Sphinx's Revelation during any Standard in which it was legal) because I wanted to test my skill and my builds against the perceived 'best' decks, and save the fun and dumb stuff for EDH or Pauper. If I'm going to spend money traveling to register at a big competitive event, I'd rather have the experience against popular decks as a form of preparation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Remember, if your favorite deck isn't something bad and has in fact, been competitively viable, you are scum of the earth and must be purged.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kizudarake posted:

This.

Mardu Dragons deck list, please. I'm looking for more fun than esper Dragons.

Here is a list that I am currently running. Only difference between mine and most lists is that outburst is in for rabble because rabble sucks in this meta. Foul-tongue and kolaghan's command as well for stoke. The sideboard is a little janky right now with the circle of flames, but then again my local meta is very aggro heavy.

Deck: Mardu Dragons

//Lands
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Caves of Koilos
3 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
3 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
4 Crackling Doom
4 Draconic Roar
4 Hordeling Outburst
1 Murderous Cut
3 Stoke the Flames
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
3 Seeker of the Way
3 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent

//Sideboard
2 Crux of Fate
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Outpost Siege
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Circle of Flame
3 Roast
1 Mastery of the Unseen

Display deck statistics

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 5, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Remember, if your favorite deck isn't something bad and has in fact, been competitively viable, you are scum of the earth and must be purged.

I think there is some basis for criticizing a serial net-decker if the person in question just floats from deck to deck without settling and learning just one, and then complains that he gets unlucky or that 'bad players' got lucky instead, though that's more of a complaint of arrogant players than anything else.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So you know how there's that Puresteel Paladin jank modern combo deck? Someone made the same idea with Blood Funnel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alris posted:

Decklist, immediately.

kizudarake posted:

This.

Mardu Dragons deck list, please. I'm looking for more fun than esper Dragons.

Here is my list.

Basically, Abzan can't race you since Soulfire Grand Master gains you so much life, and you have enough spot removal to keep them off balance until you drop Stormbreath, 4 damage, dash Kolaghan, 12 damage. Then, they die. Crackling Doom and Draconic Roar are the only cards in the format that 1 for 1's Sorin, Solemn Visitor's -2.

Anger of the Gods shits all over green ramp decks (edit: as well as any deck leaning on the Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor core) and forces Slight decks to hold creatures back (and gains you a shitton of life with Soulfire out). And it is hilarious to drop Dragonlord Kolaghan after sideboard against Abzan and lock them out of any more Siege Rhinos. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 5, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Yeah, I mean Monday the 8th, not the 15th. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's this one.

Pre-release is July 11, can't be this soon. Next week might just be Maro talking about shakeups.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

i'm a real wizard, not bc i don't net deck, but bc i wield magical spells in the war against the dragons

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
hagrid: yer a wizard, 'arry
harry: sweet, also check out my foiled out splinter twin deck
hagrid: nm

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've been out of standard for a few weeks, how is junk the top deck again? I thought its U/Bx matchup was just too bad.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

black potus posted:

i'm a real wizard, not bc i don't net deck, but bc i wield magical spells in the war against the dragons

I play FF14 so for me it's both. :c00l:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

black potus posted:

hagrid: yer a wizard, 'arry
harry: sweet, also check out my foiled out splinter twin deck
hagrid: nm

lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also something I've been wondering - what commonly played cards can punish you for playing mismatched cards (assuming you play correctly)? The main one I can think of is Hymn to Tourach. Are there any in standard or modern?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've been out of standard for a few weeks, how is junk the top deck again? I thought its U/Bx matchup was just too bad.

Abzan Control and Abzan Aggro just crush Esper dragons to the extent that Esper is no longer a T1 deck.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

my pet deck in any format will be U/R because i like lightning bolting people and drawing cards so i can lightning bolt people some more

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What would be the fix for a player (and opponent) missing the 'shuffle graveyard into library' trigger on Emrakul? Can the judge have you shuffle it all back in 5 turns later? Would it be a game loss?

Would they let it just stay there? What if you tried to reanimate it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

But it's a homebrew! I don't want to be a mudblood netdecker!

I'll play Terravores instead. Are they modern legal?! How about Skyshroud War Beast?

No but they loving should be, I would definitely run some sort of Scapeshift/Landfall abomination with 4 maindeck Terravore and never stop smiling (or playing at the 0-X table)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Devor posted:

What would be the fix for a player (and opponent) missing the 'shuffle graveyard into library' trigger on Emrakul? Can the judge have you shuffle it all back in 5 turns later? Would it be a game loss?

Would they let it just stay there? What if you tried to reanimate it?

Serious business game, it'd probably be a straight up game loss unless the opponent agrees on an alternative. It's a major trigger that can affect both players' chance to win. FNM/casual, I'd suggest removing from the game unless the opponent was being bratty, then just concede a loss.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like 4 out of 10 people are playing it in competitive standard right now dude

Where are you getting 40%? MTG Goldfish looks like 20%, with Burn/Sligh taking up 15% and Esper Dragons 10%.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

bhsman posted:

I play FF14 so for me it's both. :c00l:

sorry for your lots

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

my pet deck in any format will be U/R because i like lightning bolting people and drawing cards so i can lightning bolt people some more

Hoo boy, do I have a deck for you

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Where are you getting 40%? MTG Goldfish looks like 20%, with Burn/Sligh taking up 15% and Esper Dragons 10%.

You have to combine all the dumb flavors of azban (aggro, control, etc) and then round up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Abzan Control and Abzan Aggro just crush Esper dragons to the extent that Esper is no longer a T1 deck.
Aggro I get, but how does running a greedier threat base and a draw spell that looks frankly embarassing next to DTT help your control matchup?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AgentSythe posted:

Hoo boy, do I have a deck for you

So, what? Is this literally "cantrip into bolt and noxious revival until you bolt them for 20"? That's awesome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Aggro I get, but how does running a greedier threat base and a draw spell that looks frankly embarassing next to DTT help your control matchup?

I wouldn't say azban control crushes esper , but the matchup isn't great. Thoughtsieze is a card and it has too much removal for espers wincons to actually win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

You have to combine all the dumb flavors of azban (aggro, control, etc) and then round up.

Yeah.

Abzan Control 13.30%
Abzan Aggro 7.41%

Are there more hiding that I'm missing?

• Locked thread