Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Standard medic loadout:
Cards
Candy
Baby wipes
Power inverter
Smokes for self
Smokes to sell
A big fuckin book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bring a power strip

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just thrown into quarter deck on a side of this godforsaken island I have never been to, and told that there are three people specifically I have to call attention on deck and salute to, but there are no pictures. Also I'm told I will be hosed up if I gently caress it up.

It's not much, but the army just knows how to make every day a little bit worse.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Just thrown into quarter deck on a side of this godforsaken island I have never been to, and told that there are three people specifically I have to call attention on deck and salute to, but there are no pictures. Also I'm told I will be hosed up if I gently caress it up.

It's not much, but the army just knows how to make every day a little bit worse.

Island? Sup?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gitmo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
aaaand there it is

fml

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhahahaha, oh army, please leave geirskogul's rear end alone.

Also, leave these guys asses alone.

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/photos/a.391474713605.169598.242181938605/10153414110573606/?type=1&theater

You don't need a facebook account to see it.

Also, I know for a goddamn fact that unit has a PTSD roster, divorce roster, high risk roster, a motorcycle club affiliation roster and a roster for every other goddamn thing that is about as confidential as TMs.

Cav. Cav never changes.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Against my better judgement I read the comments.

quote:

Chuck Diamond

As a soldier your basic job is to do what you're told. If told to be somewhere, you show up . Life is simple as a soldier: Be at the right place in the right time in the right uniform with the right equipment. So shut up and do what you're told.

Future CSM of the army, folks.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Also yes I just realized it should be SMA instead but gently caress you I've been out for almost four years so suck my dick from the back, army.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No gently caress you I'm not saluting you you're his wife

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
is this real life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

No gently caress you I'm not saluting you you're his wife

Hey man she saw some wife get saluted on TV and she wants you to be the mook background extra in her exciting life

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

is this real life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay so don't ask a 1-star where his courier card is for his red bag, or why he has his cellphone in a TS/SCI area that forbids such things.

Geirskogul posted:

is this real life

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Geirskogul posted:

Okay so don't ask a 1-star where his courier card is for his red bag, or why he has his cellphone in a TS/SCI area that forbids such things.

I have been in one SCIF that didn't have the cellphone rule broken daily. It was not a DoD SCIF, big surprise.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Sometime in the next six months you'll get a briefing from some other/possibly the same 1-star about integrity and how it's everyone's duty to police their fellow soldiers regardless of their rank because there are plenty of times when we plainly see something's wrong but we don't have the courage to step up and say something &etc and the next day you'll see another or maybe the same general officer with a cell phone in the same area and in that moment you will transcend the physical world and achieve true enlightenment.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Geirskogul posted:

is this real life

it dont gtmo better than this

fuckin owned

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

krispykremessuck posted:

fuckin owned

:perfect:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

fuckin owned

lmbo

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

fuckin owned

:vince:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

krispykremessuck posted:

fuckin owned
Hahahaha

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

krispykremessuck posted:

fuckin owned

Sunk

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

My buddy would always bring an extra carton of smokes and people would eventually pay $20+ per pack.

Ha Ha, that's normal price in Australia. JPS are around $19, B&H and dunhill are $26, everything else in between them. One of the main reasons why so many smokers roll their own here.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
Well I'm back. Some of you might remember me posting asking for boot advice cause my Bellevilles gave me blisters for three months. I ended up buying the nikes based on this thread and what I found online. I'm on day two of inprocessing and my feet look like http://imgur.com/WcjE9W4 I know they probably need to get broken in but I wore those loving Bellevilles for a total of 5 months and never stopped getting blisters and I really hope I'm not in for a repeat performance now. I'm at the end of my loving rope. I asked around and no one else is having this problem. What the gently caress do I do?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Buy smaller boots. In real life I'm a size 11 at minimum (between 11 and 13, depending on shoe/boot type) but in bellevilles or nikes I'm 9.5EE/XW (extra wide). No poo poo took me two years to figure that poo poo out but now boots are awesome.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I dunno but in the mean time get some motherfuckin' moleskin.

Those issue boots in basic tore my feet to shreds to the point where it looked like they were gonna force me to go to the doc, but finally got some moleskin and it kept me going and let it all heal up until I was out of basic and could get some decent loving boots.

You look like you got some purdy soft feet.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Are you wearing good socks? Do your boots fit? Are you putting your boots on snug enough? Blisters are caused by repetitive rubbing. This rubbing is most commonly caused by ill-fitting or loose boots, or by wearing sweaty, damp socks.

Take your time sizing boots before you buy them, and don't buy boots on the internet unless you've already owned a pair of that kind. Most manufacturers' sizes are slightly different. With boot socks on, you don't want any extra room beyond what you need to wiggle your toes. Make sure that you snug down your boots; they should not be loose like whatever you wear as everyday shoes. When you're putting them on, try leaving just your heel on the ground when you tighten the laces.

Socks: wool is your friend. Wear good wool socks or other high-performance boot socks specifically designed for moisture-wicking. Do your feet sweat a lot? Putting some foot powder into your boots and/or onto your socks can help absorb extra moisture. Using foot powder also reduces the liklihood of being murdered for being "that guy with smelly feet."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also don't loving pop the blisters. The blister fluid holds poo poo there to protect the underlying layer to allow a new layer of skin to grow. Keep it around as long as possible. Use foot powder. Use moleskin like you see on the package if/when you already have a blister (don't just put it over the top of the loving thing). Sometimes you can wear your dress socks (thin black pieces of poo poo) on your foot directly then put a wool or merino wool (<3 merino wool) sock over the top and it gives you a little area where sliding can happen between the two socks, instead of between the top and second layers of your skin (this is how blisters happen).

Keep your foot loving dry, too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

also for fucks sake don't piss on your feet in the shower to kill athletes foot

i've had to tell dozens of people that in the army

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
My feet don't really sweat a lot. So that part is good at least. I'm using the standard green wool sock from the uniform supply store. I dunno if that's "good" or not. I thought those boots fit but maybe they don't. I have huge feet and wear size 13 tennis shoes. I bought size 13 boots. Maybe they're just too big. I suppose I should go and try other pairs on and see if smaller sizes feel better. I'll get some moleskin too.

Oh and I didn't pop those blisters. They just rubbed to the point the skin came off.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There's probably better socks out there but Fox River socks are in like every PX here at Benning and they've worked great for me. They're thicker than the standard issue socks so bring a pair when you go trying on boots.

As far as boot brands go a few pairs of boots by Garmin and the Tactical Research Kyber IIs seem to be 2 of the most popular boots for rucking around here and are available anywhere boots are sold but no idea what might be available where you are.

Like others have said it looks like your main problem is your boots don't fit right.

Are you just walking around and getting blisters there? I've only see blisters like that on people doing ruck marches.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All of basic and the first few months of ait had my feet looking like that o worse. I eventually got some Thorlos socks and it made a night and day difference. Haven't had a single blister since then and I'm still wearing those issued boots 2 years later. They're finally starting to fall apart and I'll be getting some new ones (probably nikes since garrison) soon though.

Socks are an insanely good investment. I bought a few pair and was given 8 more as a Christmas present and they are worth every penny they cost someone.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
:shrug: I just wore normal white athletic socks in my boots and never had any issues with my feet. gently caress all those gay green wool socks. No one was out there giving me sock inspections. Also it sounds like your boots are way too big for you.

Here is some info on how to fit boots:

quote:

Once you are standing, wearing both boots, look for these three signs of a good fit:

Your entire foot should feel snug in the boot EXCEPT for your heel. Don't worry! Your heel should always slip in a properly fitted new boot. As you begin wearing your boot, you will find the heel leather will soften, and your boot will then conform to and move with your foot. The slippage will disappear!
The ball of your foot should sit at the widest part of the sole of the boot. Unlike feeling for the fit in your toes (as you would in trying on a shoe), the proper location of the ball of your foot in the boot will ensure a good fit throughout. Consequently, if the ball of your foot sits too far forward in the boot, your toes will uncomfortably crowd in the toe box of the boot.
The instep (vamp) of the boot should fit snugly over the top of the arch of your foot (more snugly than the fit in your normal shoe or sneaker.)

Finding Your Perfect Boot Size:

Begin with your normal shoe size. It's a good idea to have your feet measured every year or so, as the size of your feet may change over time.
Note that socks (even tights or nylons!) can add a 1/2 size to your feet.
If you are an "in-between" size, we recommend ordering the larger of the two sizes you are between.
If your feet are a narrow width (and no narrow sizes are available to purchase), you may need to order a 1/2 size smaller than your normal size.
If your feet are a wide width (and no wide sizes are available to purchase), try ordering a 1/2 size larger than your normal size.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Dude, white cotton athletic socks are a recipe for foot fungus in hot areas. They just soak up the sweat and it doesn't go anywhere. Wool socks, as much rear end as they are, wick the sweat away from your feet. The military issue ones are actually cushioned on the bottom too. If you aren't going to wear the military ones, at least buy some specific mountaineering boot socks.

Southern Vulcan, are you deployed or stateside? Get your boots properly fitted with a drat sizer. Boots vary in sizes from manufacturer to manufacturer which is why DOD has started to force them to use a universal measuring system so size 13 is size 13 across the board. I went from a 10 to 11 extra wide while I was in and if your boots aren't properly broken in you are just asking for trouble on long movements. If your feet are this ate up from just walking around inprocessing, shitcan them until you can get properly fitted ones.

I wound up saddlesoaping the poo poo out of my jungle boots and all leathers when I'd buy them, then soaking them thoroughly. I thought this was common knowledge: http://military-fitness.military.com/2012/08/breaking-in-combat-boots-for-running-rucking.html

Then again you guys have super high tech nylon composite crap compared to 20 years ago so w/e

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Delizin posted:

:shrug: I just wore normal white athletic socks in my boots and never had any issues with my feet.

You loving piece of poo poo..

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yo real talk say what you want about lowest bidder but green socks + good fitting issue boots are actually pretty good at doing their job, those green socks wick moisture away like a motherfucker, you could step a foot deep into a pond during an FTX and that boot will be dry in an hour of movement.

I wear regular walmart black socks pretty much all the time when i'm in uniform and, while more comfortable than white socks, are not as superior as green socks to wicking moisture when it's anywhere near heat cat temps

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Altimas fit so well that I had a pair sent to me in Afghanistan and used them on a foot patrol the same day. No break in time and they were bouncy and comfortable.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
The 670-1 Nikes are worth their weight in gold. 20k with 55lbs in 2:58 without running, my feet looked fine and surprisingly didn't feel like they wanted to go all Evil Dead and try to kill me in my sleep.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
I'm stateside. And a I'm a doctor so all this military stuff is new to me and know less than nothing about all this. No rucks. That is entirely from walking in between inprocessing places and lots of sitting watching ppts.

So it's pretty clear my boots are too big. Should I try to wear two pairs of the green wool socks tomorrow to try and soak up the room or is that an awful idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
Double post

• Locked thread