Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Still here. Eagerly waiting my return to suppressing all the things! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Operation Save Legoman.

So here's a new thing Long War adds to spice up covert extractions. Only four soldiers are allowed on mission, this is good when you're in fatigue trouble, but mostly bad. Very, very bad. Especially when you bring a squad that's terribly optimized for a covert extraction. Especially when you notice at least a dozen mistakes on a casual rewatch. Oh, and I also found out that this is Eggsaisle's unluckiest map.

Typically my goal is as follows: Find all the exalt, hack the relays without any activations, then bug out as fast as possible. The rewards are killing all exalt are insignificant (1 meld per 5 exalt killed without explosives, I think?). We will stick to using Assaults as operatives until we have several high level scouts, because they can use Run'n Gun to hack a relay after a yellow move when things go south. Hacking a relay prevents exalt from shooting, rocketing, but does NOT prevent throwing grenades. This is why I prefer Will to Survive over Gunslinger for covert operative assaults. Will to Survive gives will to help prevent panic, and DR to resist grenade damage.

Exalt Rockets are 100% accurate, and they can shoot after moving (just like we can). Exalt Heavies need to be taken care of ASAP. It seems in the latest iteration of Long War they're perfectly content shooting a rocket when no sane person would. It's a 'smart move' in this fashion (as in it doesn't matter to exalt/the aliens if you complete a mission. It matters more that they kill even just one of your soldiers. I think Long War is too meta in this sense). As a matter of fact, all exalt that carry explosives are ridiculously dangerous threats that have to be taken care of as fast as possible.

:siren:Congratulations Legoman727 and SgtSteel91 in making Corporal! Legoman727 and SgtSteel91 need nicknames!:siren:

Earlier seaborgium suggested Doorstop for SgtSteel91.
I am suggesting Barricade for SgtSteel91.

I am also suggesting Rooster for Legoman727, in honor of his flanking two sectoids as an intimidation tactic in mission 20! (which like a rooster was bold but without substance :v: - I use 'Rooster' in Legoman's next mission, but I'll change it based on votes)

And finally I'm going back to two videos a week - in general. I wanted to see if my new editing style could squeeze two missions into one video, but its not very likely. I want to build up a modest backlog, but if it gets out of control there might be some bonus weeks.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Barricade sounds good for SgtSteel91. I was going to suggest Sitting Bricks for Legoman, but Rooster could be good as well.

I admit I do find the one it assigned him, Bonzai, amusing; it's halfway between an insane charge and a potted plant. [Banzai vs Bonsai].

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Great mission! Real glad that rocket only got my armor and not my health. As for the nickname, why not go full G.I. Joe and have it be Roadblock? Although Barricade would work if you like it better.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

By joining X-Com, you have written away all rights to make suggestions for any nicknames your comrades or commander might come up with for you. Even if they are good! I'm going to vote for Doorstop because while it isn't a glamorous job, someone needs to do it.

I' going to throw out Old Man Legoman due to his recent shock causing massive trauma to his hair follicles.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The timing on the next mission is pretty cool, there is quite a cinematic feel to it. XCOM has detected a huge ship landing, several big names are getting out of the medbay/coming back from R&R and the engineers are working to a serious deadline to get some important equipment ready before the team heads off on what is probably going to be their hardest action yet.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

SaffronKit posted:

By joining X-Com, you have written away all rights to make suggestions for any nicknames your comrades or commander might come up with for you. Even if they are good! I'm going to vote for Doorstop because while it isn't a glamorous job, someone needs to do it.

I' going to throw out Old Man Legoman due to his recent shock causing massive trauma to his hair follicles.

Seconding both, although I think Doorstopper would be better than just Doorstop - does that fit in the limit?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Seconding both, although I think Doorstopper would be better than just Doorstop - does that fit in the limit?

11 characters, so yes :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Barricade sounds good for SgtSteel91. I was going to suggest Sitting Bricks for Legoman, but Rooster could be good as well.

I admit I do find the one it assigned him, Bonzai, amusing; it's halfway between an insane charge and a potted plant. [Banzai vs Bonsai].

You said this, and I was immediately going to say this:

SgtSteel91 posted:

As for the nickname, why not go full G.I. Joe and have it be Roadblock? Although Barricade would work if you like it better.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
HOLY POOPS!

I WANT BANANA MANS ARMOUR ON GRIDLOCKED THAT LOOKS BADASS.

Also show us allll the alternate armour models Booty. Show them all.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Way to age me about fifty years, commander. I won't go suggesting names for my troop, cause that's no fun, but Rooster is dumb. :colbert:

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
Just checking in to say I'm still watching. I know I said I wanted to be a sniper but let me change that to any class with a big gun in case that makes things easier for you.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

He's Legoman, so how about Brick.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

legoman727 posted:

Way to age me about fifty years, commander. I won't go suggesting names for my troop, cause that's no fun, but Rooster is dumb. :colbert:

I like Rooster :cry:. They're aggressive assholes that don't back away from confrontation.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

I like Rooster :cry:. They're aggressive assholes that don't back away from confrontation.

Name him Angry Swan.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am kind of curious, were those armor options always in the game or did you add a mod for them? Because they look goofy as gently caress and I'm loving it.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

I am kind of curious, were those armor options always in the game or did you add a mod for them? Because they look goofy as gently caress and I'm loving it.

They're in vanilla EW :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

They're in vanilla EW :v:

That's awesome. I can't wait to see what you do for everyone else. :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
First mission I see where EXALT is a credible thread,they seem to have received a bigger buff than aliens. On vanilla they were little more than training opportunities.

Do you get more soldiers to play with as you upgrade your Officer Training School, or are you always limited to 4?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Fat Samurai posted:

Do you get more soldiers to play with as you upgrade your Officer Training School, or are you always limited to 4?

Always 4 for these missions (covert extractions), no matter what.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It's nice to see Exalt as a credible threat in long war instead of rookie training in vanilla. (That was one hell of a hit, ouch!)

For nicknames I like Doorstop for Steel and Rooster for Legoman.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
gently caress this map, gently caress those EXALT. Literally never seen them spawn in the middle. Ever. Aliens, sure, but not EXALT.

As for callsigns, Steel could go by Roadblock while Lego can go by Young. It's catchy and makes fun of the guy.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
I'm want to say that if Rooster goes to anyone, it should to be a support gunner who suppresses a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs

For "bold but without substance" how about Politician ?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm still watching and cursing your poor strategic sense every time you pass over the option to build a shiv and begin the glorious robot revolution.
(I'm not sure if LW lets you name shivs, but even if it doesn't I'm still claiming credit for any kill Goliath-1 gets :colbert:)
You know assuming you ever buy one

Kurieg posted:

We both know it'd miss
:colbert:

want me to spoiler that then

I dunno, you've gotten pretty accurate since you earned your nickname.
You just had to believe in yourself.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I am somewhat in favour of the name Oldman that was suggested earlier, as it makes the Earth Defence Force fan in me gleeful.

Also, though I am mostly being reassigned to focus on ship repairs, I am grateful for the opportunity to head to Europe, maybe see some of the family in Portugal to make sure they are well in these dark times. Keep fighting the good fight, and I'll look forward to more good news from the crew in Canada.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Seriously where can we see all the Armour decos?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Gridlocked posted:

Seriously where can we see all the Armour decos?

Can't find anything. When I unlock an armor type I'll scroll through the decos on one soldier. Next recording session I'll be sure to show them off.

e: Meaning you won't see them until Tuesday the 16th

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I haven't actually posted in the thread at all, but have been actively watching from the beginning and would happily take a slot if one comes free.

Not fussed on class at all... just wanna kick some alien and fanatic hide. :)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

Can't find anything. When I unlock an armor type I'll scroll through the decos on one soldier. Next recording session I'll be sure to show them off.

e: Meaning you won't see them until Tuesday the 16th

Can you post screen caps of them so we can request numbers :v: I wanna be as stormtroopery as i can be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Are you using the mod that lets you assign any armor deco to any armor class?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Kurieg posted:

Are you using the mod that lets you assign any armor deco to any armor class?

I didn't know that mod existed :staredog:. Sometimes I'll intentionally keep someone with a certain armor deco in another type of armor so the weird blending occurs.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Welcome to Erf, Exalts!

Oh right. since it's name that tune time. It's from Phoenix Wright.

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007
I not only recognise that tune, when I first heard it I checked my phone because I thought someone was calling me :v:. Like Veloxyll said it's from Phoenix Wright, either Cornered or Pursuit.

I've been watching this LP from the beginning and I've got to say I've been really enjoying it, you two have been doing a great job. If you ever need a recruit just hand me a rifle, and point me at the mothership (any role is fine).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Honestly booty I think the question should have been "Why do I feel cornered whenever someone calls me?" rather than if there are any goons that recognized it.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
I can't believe i didn't see this earlier loved your FTL videos. SIGN ME UP PLS Polish nationality if possible anything else whatever

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I volunteer my services to the XCOM project. Any role, white male, stylish hat please. :)

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Classic Eggsaile. :v:

I just realized our covert operative has the Guile hair. A true master of disguise.

Good luck to the corporals on the large UFO mission. I hope we get a few small UFOs soon. Our future nicknames won't earn themselves. :hist101:

Kidney Man
Aug 30, 2014
I'm still here too, just quiet as usual. It's fun to read your comments. Glad you're enjoying the series!

I know this is late, but I definitely owe two of you replies by now. Sorry for the delay on getting back to you guys.

HiKaiser - You'll definitely make the active roster eventually. Working on finding a spot for you asap! And don't worry, we'll clean the blood off the uniform before we give it to you. I'm joking, of course. Rookies clean their own hand-me-downs.

Gridlocked - I know you're pining for that stormtrooper look. We experimented with how you'd look in white/black. The main problem is the white makes you blend with the medics a little too well. The other thing (you probably already know) is Booty assigns all officer infantry that particular green you are currently sporting. At least, I think it's just the color? I get confused because he's way more meticulous than I am with squad visibility at a glance. I'm sure many players (myself included) mod the default class colors and stick to them. Booty only does that for the rookies and then manually adjusts everyone as they specialize. He literally has a color/style for not only each class but each subrole of each class. All that said, I'm hoping to at least convince him to doll you out with traditional stormtrooper gear for a specialized mission of some kind, maybe an Exalt extraction or something. Again no promises but we'll see what develops. In the meantime there's a better chance of working something out with him if you happen to have any gear requests that are also green. ^_^

Kidney Man
Aug 30, 2014

legoman727 posted:

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Name him Angry Swan.

I think this should remain controversial and we end up silently giving him a different bird name every time he goes on a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Kidney Man posted:

I think this should remain controversial and we end up silently giving him a different bird name every time he goes on a mission.

Perfect! That idea is absolutely perfect. Let's do that.

• Locked thread