Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New episode is out.

Hachiman builds about 10 billion points with every girl. Harem incoming but at least he earned that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Angry Grimace posted:

New episode is out.

Hachiman builds about 10 billion points with every girl. Harem incoming but at least he earned that poo poo.

I feel like there was a little too much going on in this episode for me, it felt rushed and I even lost track of time a bit with all the time skips. I liked each scene quite a bit, it just felt like this could have been three episodes paced the way the season has been so far. Resolving the arc in the middle third of the episode was kind of strange. I expected more on them hashing out plans and working on the event itself, though I guess it does make sense that they were really just resolving the planning committee issues. The inclusion of the shrine visit, shopping with Yui and meeting in the tea shop felt squeezed though. I assume this was done to get through the next arc by the end of the season, but the result was probably my least favorite episode of the season.

As you said Hachiman is working overtime building these social links. None of the girls are slouching either. His poor sister is putting up with a lot too, her points must be through the roof!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MrAptronym posted:

I feel like there was a little too much going on in this episode for me, it felt rushed and I even lost track of time a bit with all the time skips. I liked each scene quite a bit, it just felt like this could have been three episodes paced the way the season has been so far. Resolving the arc in the middle third of the episode was kind of strange. I expected more on them hashing out plans and working on the event itself, though I guess it does make sense that they were really just resolving the planning committee issues. The inclusion of the shrine visit, shopping with Yui and meeting in the tea shop felt squeezed though. I assume this was done to get through the next arc by the end of the season, but the result was probably my least favorite episode of the season.

As you said Hachiman is working overtime building these social links. None of the girls are slouching either. His poor sister is putting up with a lot too, her points must be through the roof!
Feel essentially adapted the last 2.5 chapters of Volume 9 before the commercial break and the first 2 chapters of Volume 10 after it. I guess they wanted to push through because episode 13 is gonna be some separate thing while the next two episodes will probably close out this arc. I, too, would've liked for this episode to end with the teacup scene and then the next three episodes cover the Hayama arc.

The PV at the end also has quite relevant material from the LN. In the novel, they're the disembodied inner thoughts of unspecified characters (who are probably not Hachiman) laid out in memorandum form a la No Longer Human.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As mentioned, the pacing was kind of weird. I guess they reached the emotional climax of the arc already and just wanted to get the rest out of the way before moving on to the next arc. Even without being familiar with the material, I can recognize the end of a volume when I see one. I'm guessing the problem they had was that resolving the planning meeting problem isn't really all that interesting compared to resolving the fractured interpersonal relationships, but they had already set it up as something that needed proper resolution.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 5, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Clarste posted:

As mentioned, the pacing was kind of weird. I guess they reached the emotional climax of the arc already and just wanted to get the rest out of the way before moving on the to next arc. Even without being familiar with the material, I can recognize the end of a volume when I see one. I'm guessing the problem they had was that resolving the planning meeting problem isn't really all that interesting compared to resolving the fractured interpersonal relationships, but they had already set it up as something that needed proper resolution.

They have to fit Volume 10 into the series, so they truncated the actual solution of the Christmas party. I'll spare you the details and tell you that the stuff they skipped wasn't that important. A lot of it was Hachiman getting a billion Komachi points with every girl, which was pretty obvious in the episode as shown.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad the last couple of episodes seem to be focusing on Hayato because I'm still not sure what his deal is.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm glad the last couple of episodes seem to be focusing on Hayato because I'm still not sure what his deal is.
I'd say he feels drawn by some combination of temperament and socialization to be a peacemaker and people pleaser, but recognizes the limitations of his methods and gets a bit frustrated because alternate solutions like Hikki's are against his nature.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

They have to fit Volume 10 into the series, so they truncated the actual solution of the Christmas party. I'll spare you the details and tell you that the stuff they skipped wasn't that important. A lot of it was Hachiman getting a billion Komachi points with every girl, which was pretty obvious in the episode as shown.

sounds like they are possibly saving that for an ova?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Davincie posted:

sounds like they are possibly saving that for an ova?

I have an idea of what would be in an OVA and its not that...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

This actually still hasn't been resolved in the LN yet, so I imagine the season will end kind of abruptly. Makes me wonder what they're gonna do about the rest of the volumes though, if anything. It's speculated that the series will only go up to 12 volumes. 13 at most.

Man, they sped through that episode like crazy. But the preview for the next episode was really good..

e: Also forgot to mention that I like how they brought back the OP from season 1.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 6, 2015

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Well that sure was two halves of great but completely different episodes.

Interesting they felt compelled to squish the main arc of the season's conclusion together with the beginning of the last one. It doesn't actually flow naturally, but in a way the second half feels like a more natural followup to the previous episode. The entire student council plotline was sort of resolved in spirit between Hikki and Iroha's confessions, so I guess it makes sense they cleaned up the dangling plot threads as quickly as they could; I admit, I got a chuckle at constantly-moving-hands-guy ordering people around the stage during the montage.

Anyway, we got some pretty subtle Yukino development in her dressing-down there, simultaneously condemning both the opposing student council president and herself for presenting a pointless time-wasting facade instead of actually addressing problems, and Hachiman actually managing to accept affection from others without second guessing or refusing it for once. Even Irohas decided to take a more active role in controlling her life, so stuff's pretty good all around.

As for the latter half of the episode, it seems we might actually get some information on Yukino's family situation (in addition to whatever's up with Hayama). The scene with her mother was appropriately awkward; I like the glare Hachiman gave Hayama briefly, as if demanding him to do something about it.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

sore aru!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Finally caught up. This season's been great, especially episode 8. They'd stretched the tension so tight over the previous episodes that it was wonderful to see it finally relax.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, thanks, friends, for all the effort posts. This show is a bit too subtle for me at times (I like subtle, but am sometimes dumb).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also, thanks, friends, for all the effort posts. This show is a bit too subtle for me at times (I like subtle, but am sometimes dumb).

I never realize how much subtext I miss until I read this thread. I think anime has made me dumb and oblivious to subtly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've always been dumb and oblivious to subtly.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Been catching up with this show. I don't know where the current arc is heading but I hope I don't regret watching past the act break of the latest episode. They could have ended the series right there and it would have been pretty drat satisfying.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm happy to do the posts I do, mostly because I'm just so glad that this show got such a good second season. :3: I mean, it's pretty, but it's more than that. The people working on it understand the work! There's meaningful body language! They cut mercilessly to keep things moving! There's some things I wish they'd kept, naturally, but overall S1 and S2 are both adaptations I'd point to and say, "Do this. Get more budget than S1, definitely, but do this."

I really hope we at least get OVAs for the final novels, if they can't quite reach a full third season... I'd say "or a movie," but considering the subtleties, this is a work that works better with a little pacing. (And it'll be funny to watch the flaming wreckage in real time whenever there's romantic resolution! Or the lack thereof, either one.)

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

There's meaningful body language!
Could you elaborate on particular scenes? The only one that really comes to mind for me was in episode 2 after the bamboo scene where Hachiman was justifying his actions to Yui and he was rubbing his fingers together. Another one (which I saw just now,) was when Hachiman gave Yui and Yukino the fake list of names of people that were voting for Iroha, and Yui touched her phone (to check online) but decided against it.

What I really like is when the animators lip-sync the speaking/mouthing animations during important scenes:

- When Yui tells Hachiman that she'll also run for president because she loves the club (or rather, Hachiman)
- When Hachiman admits that he wants something real
- Right before Yui and Yukino hug and cry together

I'm not sure if I've ever seen lip syncing in anime before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

krnhotwings posted:

Akira is one of the few examples of 'prescoring' in anime, which is where the voice actors record their lines first, then the animation is done to fit the actual mouth movements.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

krnhotwings posted:

Could you elaborate on particular scenes?

Off the top of my head, the positioning is always really good. Hachiman tends to stand with his side towards groups, as if awkwardly attempting to both look like he's a part of the conversation and not. Yui rarely respects personal bubbles when the scene isn't tense, and is usually standing closer than usual to people. Hayama is usually placed close to the center of the frame whenever he's in a scene, reinforcing his control of the situation.

I don't catch a lot of it on a first watch through, but there's a lot of neat little details drawn here and there, even in the comparatively low-budget season 1.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Einander posted:

I'm happy to do the posts I do, mostly because I'm just so glad that this show got such a good second season. :3: I mean, it's pretty, but it's more than that. The people working on it understand the work! There's meaningful body language! They cut mercilessly to keep things moving! There's some things I wish they'd kept, naturally, but overall S1 and S2 are both adaptations I'd point to and say, "Do this. Get more budget than S1, definitely, but do this."

I really hope we at least get OVAs for the final novels, if they can't quite reach a full third season... I'd say "or a movie," but considering the subtleties, this is a work that works better with a little pacing. (And it'll be funny to watch the flaming wreckage in real time whenever there's romantic resolution! Or the lack thereof, either one.)

I really appreciate everyone's in depth comments. This show is the reason I came over to ADTRW. I haven't normally discussed the anime I watch much in the past, but this show really has me engaged. I felt like I really needed to see what other people thought about what was happening. I love the subtleties in the characters interactions, and the way they have actual motivations of their own.

Also: Sore aru!!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

krnhotwings posted:

Could you elaborate on particular scenes? The only one that really comes to mind for me was in episode 2 after the bamboo scene where Hachiman was justifying his actions to Yui and he was rubbing his fingers together. Another one (which I saw just now,) was when Hachiman gave Yui and Yukino the fake list of names of people that were voting for Iroha, and Yui touched her phone (to check online) but decided against it.

What I really like is when the animators lip-sync the speaking/mouthing animations during important scenes:

- When Yui tells Hachiman that she'll also run for president because she loves the club (or rather, Hachiman)
- When Hachiman admits that he wants something real
- Right before Yui and Yukino hug and cry together

The big one I'm thinking of is Yukino's reaction to him saying "I know this is all my fault" when he's asking for help with the Christmas event. Her response is basically "If all of this was your doing, then you should be the one to fix it, right?" In a lot of contexts, this would be a cold rejection--instead, here, they had her cradle one arm to herself and look down with a frustrated expression.

Combined with the scenes in the episodes before and after (Yukino wondering if she's really accomplished anything in the park, talking about how her sister and Hikigaya both have things she lacks while on the rollercoaster), this isn't about her rejecting him: she's realized that for all her talk, she never really seems to get anything done, but he does. She thinks that he doesn't really need her help, because she's sure he can do it by himself, just as he seems to have fixed everything else by himself so far--she thinks that this is just another case of trying to keep up superficial appearances in the club. (She's missed most of the scenes where he's started to think his solutions haven't really "fixed" anything.) This is part of why she runs out of the room when he says he "wants something genuine"; she's built him up while she was tearing herself down, and he's just flipped it all on its head. If he's so amazingly capable, if he doesn't need them, then why is he crying?

(They cut a pretty good bit from the LN following the request scene--after the first meeting, they talk about what to do, and Yukino says, "Well, the first step is to fix the budget issue--but I know you've already thought of that, Hikigaya." He goes "No, of course I haven't, are you making fun of me?" and she gets uncomfortable and apologizes. She's put him on a pedestal, just as he did to her back in Season 1.)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I expected as much, but the OVA from the first season is quite boring.

I like the idea of a stand alone episode where the characters just bounce off each other, but not like that.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

Yukino wondering if she's really accomplished anything in the park, talking about how her sister and Hikigaya both have things she lacks while on the rollercoaster
I think a lot can be said/read in the facial expressions of the characters, which are spot on. It's obvious that in the park scene Yukino wasn't being cold-hearted or anything toward Hachiman. Her facial expression throughout the entire scene wasn't that of contempt (it was her endearment-toward-Hachiman face) and showed how she appreciated Hachiman watching over her. Another good example was when Hachiman suggested his student president speech-sabotage plan, and Yui just stared at him with wide eyes; you could really tell what was going on in her head given her expression.

Einander posted:

(They cut a pretty good bit from the LN following the request scene--after the first meeting, they talk about what to do, and Yukino says, "Well, the first step is to fix the budget issue--but I know you've already thought of that, Hikigaya." He goes "No, of course I haven't, are you making fun of me?" and she gets uncomfortable and apologizes. She's put him on a pedestal, just as he did to her back in Season 1.)
I didn't like that they cut this part out as I consider it a very important detail to understanding the misunderstanding between Yukino and Hachiman... In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned another LN detail about how Hachiman admits to himself that he cannot stand in the way of Hayama's clique if they all truly desire to keep their group together, despite their deception toward one another. Realizing that he no longer really believes in his old ways is another detail that I think is important to understanding Yukino and Hachiman's conflict (all the miscommunication, misconception, etc etc.)

Anywho, it's nice to see how Hachiman deeply affects the people around him, whether he realizes it or not (Hayama certainly does, however...)

LN spoilers:

There's a more than likely probability that Hayama likes (or still likes?) Yukino. He knows that Yukino likes Hachiman and is quite jealous of him and upset at himself:

"I absolutely can't stand it when I feel inferior to you. That's why I want you to be my equal. That's why I want to raise you up high, and that just might be it, all so I can accept the things I lose to you in."

It could be that Hayama is upset at himself because, despite who Hachiman is and his ways, Hachiman brings results whereas Hayama doesn't. It's apparent to Hayama that Hachiman changes those around him for the better. Also, I think Hayama was on the verge of crying during the marathon, but I think I'll bring that up later...

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks for posting about the little scenes from the VN that were cut. It helps a lot. It's hard to understand Yukino from the anime alone.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

LN spoilers:

There's a more than likely probability that Hayama likes (or still likes?) Yukino. He knows that Yukino likes Hachiman and is quite jealous of him and upset at himself:

"I absolutely can't stand it when I feel inferior to you. That's why I want you to be my equal. That's why I want to raise you up high, and that just might be it, all so I can accept the things I lose to you in."

It could be that Hayama is upset at himself because, despite who Hachiman is and his ways, Hachiman brings results whereas Hayama doesn't. It's apparent to Hayama that Hachiman changes those around him for the better. Also, I think Hayama was on the verge of crying during the marathon, but I think I'll bring that up later...
More LN spoilers: If Hayama did like Yukino, I don't get why he would dispel the rumor for Hachiman's sake and still give hope for Miura. That'd make Hayama a bigger dick than what I would be willing to expect from him.

I do think the marathon scene is a major turning point for Hachiman and Hayato's relationship. In the proceeding chapters (and that little bit in 10.5), Hayama feels he doesn't have to put up his nice guy facade around Hikigaya so much and even engages in some minor Yukino-esque bantering. Deep down, I think they've both accepted that they'll never be able to get along, but the kind of security of knowing that the other guy has that level of understanding of your inner self is refreshing to them in a way.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

More LN spoilers: If Hayama did like Yukino, I don't get why he would dispel the rumor for Hachiman's sake and still give hope for Miura. That'd make Hayama a bigger dick than what I would be willing to expect from him.

My guess is that it's because he doesn't want to cause Yukino any stress/trouble; it seems to me that the two have been in a similar situation in elementary school (or was it middle school? Not sure.) Regardless, I think Hayama is a huge dick 'cause he turned down Iroha at Destinyland and avoids relationships in general. Given his track record, there's zero reason for him to give any hope at all to the two girls. He says he's not as nice as he seems; he has to have some sort of disingenuous motive.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Come on, guys, it's like a week and a day before we can talk about that stuff without tags, just hold it in a little longer.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Thanks for posting about the little scenes from the VN that were cut. It helps a lot. It's hard to understand Yukino from the anime alone.

I think that's fine, actually--Hikigaya doesn't really, either. You can suspect a lot about her before then, but I think the rollercoaster scene really tells both Hikigaya and the audience everything we need to know, from her commenting that she's bad at rollercoasters because of her sister (in the LN, he even says, "your sister has something to do with all the things you're bad at, doesn't she?") to her talk about feeling inferior to the "help me someday, okay?" at the end. With the main cast, at least, everything the anime loses in little details it regains in body language, so it's a wash.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll shut up with the conjecturing for the time being.

Einander posted:

With the main cast, at least, everything the anime loses in little details it regains in body language, so it's a wash.
Personally, I disagree with this. I can't think of a single scene where body language speaks for itself. As far as I see it, it's a supplement to the dialogue and the characters' emotional states and nothing much more than great directing, animation, and portrayal of said emotions.

For instance, in this scene:

Einander posted:

Her response is basically "If all of this was your doing, then you should be the one to fix it, right?" In a lot of contexts, this would be a cold rejection--instead, here, they had her cradle one arm to herself and look down with a frustrated expression.
Yukino didn't actually cradle herself until after Hachiman's confession, which of course confused her. Her body language was just a natural reflection of her confusion and her dialogue. I don't think it even gave much of a glimpse into Yukino's thoughts (as opposed to her surprise at Hachiman's flaws at the Christmas event in the LN):

Einander posted:

"Well, the first step is to fix the budget issue--but I know you've already thought of that, Hikigaya." He goes "No, of course I haven't, are you making fun of me?" and she gets uncomfortable and apologizes. She's put him on a pedestal, just as he did to her back in Season 1.)

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 11, 2015

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Einander posted:

Come on, guys, it's like a week and a day before we can talk about that stuff without tags, just hold it in a little longer.
Well, gently caress.. That turned out to be a bit of an overestimate. :v: Not sure what the gently caress they're gonna do for the last episodes...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

Well, gently caress.. That turned out to be a bit of an overestimate. :v: Not sure what the gently caress they're gonna do for the last episodes...
Kyakka posted the synopses for eps 12 & 13, and it seems to cover events in Volume 11 (release now delayed from June 18 to June 24).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what the gently caress is commie doing

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Well, it's out now, at least

(five hours before Crunchyroll releases it anyway)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was a nice episode. I like Yukino a bit more now. It was cute that she was wearing the mittens. :3:
I have to laugh at everyone gettin' an arts degree. They went through all this to end up posting to tumblr.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't thinks its choosing a degree, seemed more like the 'options' we get in the UK in our last two years of high school, where you get a limited choice about what subjects you want to pursue. 'Liberal arts' probably just focuses on history, geography, languages etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Liberal arts" just means "I have no particular plans to be an engineer right now."

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Go science or go home :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Good episode. Hayato's a really interesting character, and he and Hikigaya have a really interesting relationship. It's cool seeing Hikigaya spout his old bullshit and knowing that he doesn't actually believe it; he's just goading Hayato to get a response. Evidence of character development, even when the surface appearance is the same.

It's really weird that they cut out Haruno's section at the end of the LN... Then again, they did include Haruno talking about "checking answers," which is the lead-in for that conversation. So it's not impossible that they're going to move it to the start of the next episode. I hope they do, it seems really important. (Not that I can be sure! I generally trust this adaptation.)

I really expected them to end with the 6.5 Christmas section or 10.5, so the fact they're going straight into 11 makes me both excited and kind of worried. I'm sure the content will be great, I'm just not sure it'll be a good season ender as such. Here's hoping!

• Locked thread