Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

tbp posted:

i dont think when evaluating a manager the style that they play really matters. mourinho is one of the best ever and his teams are insanely fail. also why do ppl forget that barca was bad the season before pep started managing them, surely if "just letting messi/henry/etoo do their thing" was so easy than riijkaard would never have gotten fired in the first place. getting rid of ronaldinho was an insanely bold move i think considering hewas the face of the club, and messi was nowhere near best of all time status when pep started. those are big things i think

those are all big things that were good but you could make the same kind of arguments about Luis Enrique stuffing the best player in the world out on the right, bringing in a biter, moving away from the "signature" style of play, etc. and no one is saying he's a GOAT.

Pep is a good manager but he's no GOAT. My point is that you'd be laughed out of the room if you suggested Luis could be one after a win tomorrow, yet Pep is considered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

not not luvd posted:

ah yes ninpo the bundeliga watcher

also getting beaten by the best team in the world without your two best attackers = bad manager

Nobody is saying he's a bad manager luvd

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Jose posted:

No one is saying he's the best of all time either

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

I am

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

El Hefe posted:

No one is saying he's the best of all time either

Some say it, or said it a couple of years ago

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Some say it, or said it a couple of years ago
It's hard to keep up with the status quo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tbp posted:

i dont think when evaluating a manager the style that they play really matters. mourinho is one of the best ever and his teams are insanely fail. also why do ppl forget that barca was bad the season before pep started managing them, surely if "just letting messi/henry/etoo do their thing" was so easy than riijkaard would never have gotten fired in the first place. getting rid of ronaldinho was an insanely bold move i think considering hewas the face of the club, and messi was nowhere near best of all time status when pep started. those are big things i think

Barcelona knows when a top player has lost his quality and knows when to drop him\bench him. Casillas and Sergio Ramos wouldn't be starting in Barcelona just because they're home boys.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I still can't believe Madrid brought in Rafa. What a farce of a club.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mans posted:

Barcelona knows when a top player has lost his quality and knows when to drop him\bench him. Casillas and Sergio Ramos wouldn't be starting in Barcelona just because they're home boys.

The response to this will always be Gerard Pique

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

Pique has been WAY better this season than he has the last couple to be fair to him.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

Puyol was pretty dire in the last couple of seasons when they insisted on playing him despite him barely representing a whole human being.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Ninpo posted:

Puyol was pretty dire in the last couple of seasons when they insisted on playing him despite him barely representing a whole human being.

Nah. He hardly played at all the last few years. And he wasn't dire when he did play, he was just always injured.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Byolante posted:

Ninpo posted:

I'm pretty sure you people either don't actually watch Barca games or you don't know anything about football

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Gerard Pique is 28 now what the gently caress

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

He's also got two kids with Shakira.
Time flies.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

El Hefe posted:

I'm pretty sure you people either don't actually watch Barca games or you don't know anything about football

He revolutionised the concept of defenders who have no positional awareness and paved the way as a fuckwit who is always in the wrong place for such luminaries as Sakho, Mangala, Lovren and David Luis

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Parody Threads posted:

those are all big things that were good but you could make the same kind of arguments about Luis Enrique stuffing the best player in the world out on the right, bringing in a biter, moving away from the "signature" style of play, etc. and no one is saying he's a GOAT.

Pep is a good manager but he's no GOAT. My point is that you'd be laughed out of the room if you suggested Luis could be one after a win tomorrow, yet Pep is considered one.

this is true, you are right. but if luis enrique wins today, goes on to win 3 la ligas in a row, adds another CL in a really dominating fashion, gets to the semis of the CL at least every year hes at the club, then adds two more others leagues its gonna be tough to deny him. i think a weird part about it is that trebles have become weirdly devalued now.. i mean obviously its still the best you could possibly do in a year but there's been three now within like 6 years or whatever, whereas before it was decades btwn them iirc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

this is true, you are right. but if luis enrique wins today, goes on to win 3 la ligas in a row, adds another CL in a really dominating fashion, gets to the semis of the CL at least every year hes at the club, then adds two more others leagues its gonna be tough to deny him. i think a weird part about it is that trebles have become weirdly devalued now.. i mean obviously its still the best you could possibly do in a year but there's been three now within like 6 years or whatever, whereas before it was decades btwn them iirc.

It'll probably never happen but quadruples that are 4 meaningful tournaments are possible in some countries

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Healbot posted:

He's also got two kids with Shakira.
Time flies.

He might be the actual winner here

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

treble :smug:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Best season of the decade.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

You really don't know gently caress all about football do you?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Puyol was a beast, this was the least convincing treble winning team ever, and Messi couldn't do it on a warm night in Berlin, but Suarez could.

Next season we get to see Rafa try and turn Ronaldo into a center forward. That will go about as well as all the other times they have tried to turn Ronaldo into a center forward.

With Rafa coming in, might as well make it a QUADRUPLE and hand the '15-'16 La Liga title to Barca right now.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Montasque posted:

this was the least convincing treble winning team ever,

You are delusional if this isn't a troll.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Lladre posted:

You are delusional if this isn't a troll.

Barca '09, and United '99 did it better.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Montasque posted:

Barca '09, and United '99 did it better.

In what way was barca 09 better?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Actually Inter was the best because they made everyone including me extremely mad.

For real though this Barca is on another planet.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's incredibly retarded how people can look at treble winning teams (with European trophies obviously) and say "nah they're terrible" with a serious face.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Gigi Galli posted:

i think it's a great team, just like Bayern 2013 and a few other teams over the last 10-15 years.
but Barca 2009 was something else entirely, they revolutionized the game and will go down in history as one of the 3-4 best club teams ever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

DrakeD posted:

i think it's a great team, just like Bayern 2013 and a few other teams over the last 10-15 years.
but Barca 2009 was something else entirely, they revolutionized the game and will go down in history as one of the 3-4 best club teams ever.

They were outrageously good and probably in the best 3-4 clubs ever but didn't really revolutionise the game

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

DrakeD posted:

The 09 team did absolutely change the game as we know it (maybe not for better) but this current iteration seems better to me in that they utterly dominate games in an exciting way. 09 Barca got old quick, but I do agree that they're in the group of the best teams of all time simply because so many other teams have tried to be them with not much success.

I guess what I'm saying is that I actually enjoy watching this Barca play when they're not all falling down. I enjoyed the 09 one at first but not for long.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

They were outrageously good and probably in the best 3-4 clubs ever but didn't really revolutionise the game

How many teams are still trying to play that hyper possessive one touch football? It wasn't a new concept but never had it been so effective.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Barca 09 is Goku SSJ but but nowadays Barca is basically that version of Gohan who didn't even need spiky gold hair, he was just unstopable chilling in his normal state.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

How many teams are still trying to play that hyper possessive one touch football? It wasn't a new concept but never had it been so effective.

It seems the end game of total football to me which was revolutionary and also no surprise it was Barca who did it. I'm surprised how quickly it was stopped really

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Gigi Galli posted:

I enjoyed the 09 one at first but not for long.

me too, but just because they were almost always so much dominant that they basically annihilated the opposite teams.
this team concedes A LOT more, which sure makes for more entertaining matches. IMO

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gigi Galli posted:

Actually Inter was the best because they made everyone including me extremely mad.

Yeah that Inter team was phenomenal.

The '09 team was also phenomenal.
But this year's team had to play against a lot stiffer competition than then, in all three competitions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They've conceded hardly any goals in the league iirc its some kind of record or matches it

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Jose posted:

They've conceded hardly any goals in the league iirc its some kind of record or matches it

bof baf. maybe my memory at fault then, but i definitely remember them way harder to score against when it actually mattered.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
So happy right now y'all

çççççççççÇÇÇÇÇççççççççççççççççÇÇÇÇçççççççÇÇççÇÇççç

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I support the above post.

• Locked thread