Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

I'm not complaining about it, but you said "Good thing there isn't a single Nintendo game that hits you with a gratuitous paywall."

You clearly don't have kids. That poo poo shows up, and next thing you know they are asking you to buy some loving hearts for $5 so they can piddle them away in 10 mintues

At which point I would say "well, I will but it comes out of your allowance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo literally pushed 2 free Pokemon games directly to my 3DS that have paywalls on them for playing more each day. I did not ask for these games, they just appeared.

There's a way to turn that off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

jivjov posted:

Seriously dude you really should stop while you're this far behind. Saying what you'd do in hypothetical situations and actually doing it with your own kids are two amazingly different things and you don't "get it" until you're in the thick of it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

jivjov posted:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to explain and educate. Kids need to learn someday that when you buy a thing there are often other things that can be purchased along with it. From an extra side item with dinner, to a different stereo in a car, to appliances and furniture to a house.

"DLC is bad because my 5 year old doesn't understand what it means" is a weak argument.

Not only did I already explain that your suggestion does not work for the specific age demographic that I cited, you completely defined the argument I am actually making incorrectly. Look, you don't have kids. You are not the first person without them to make these mistakes. It is actually very common for someone in your position. It's cool. I tried to explain it anyways as someone with quite a bit of experience with this matter but it didn't work.

btw, I like Nintendo's DLC a lot.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

None of the amiibo content (which I will again argue is not really DLC, at least not in any traditionally accepted sense) outside of Splatoon is what I would consider vital gameplay stuff. Figure Players in Smash are a fun extra, completely ancillary to the game itself, and Mario Kart costumes are purely cosmetic.

And in the world of $5-$10 characters for other fighting games, Nintendo is at worst only on-par with the rest of the industry, and in some cases better.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"Is jivjov a giant loving douche? really that depends. Saying that jivjov is a giant loving douche is perhaps too figurative. He is not, infact, an oversized tool for cleaning our vagina. Suggesting one of those things could exist would be ridiculous, as they would be impractical for vaginal cleanliness. Not to mention the fact that a giant douche has no physical way to post on a forum on the internet. Could a giant douche pay 10$? Does a giant douche have a credit card? Im just asking questions"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Louisgod posted:

Seriously dude you really should stop while you're this far behind. Saying what you'd do in hypothetical situations and actually doing it with your own kids are two amazingly different things and you don't "get it" until you're in the thick of it.

Well I'll be sure to report back when I actually have kids then. Seriously, it can't be that hard to tell your kids "no" or "you'll have to use your own allowance" once in a while. My parents had absolutely no issue doing so with me.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

btw, I like Nintendo's DLC a lot.

It's really good and their first foray into it (Fire Emblem) was really well done since they also pushed out free random campaigns to get enemy characters you ran into on your team. The DLC didn't add a ton but it was really well done.

jivjov posted:

Well I'll be sure to report back when I actually have kids then. Seriously, it can't be that hard to tell your kids "no" or "you'll have to use your own allowance" once in a while. My parents had absolutely no issue doing so with me.

You act like we don't say no so yeah, report back later.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Jivjov I think the way that the eShop is organized is not optimal

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

Jivjov I think the way that the eShop is organized is not optimal

Agreed. Although the Wii U version is a bit better than the 3DS one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't mind amiibo unlocks once I realized if I really want to unlock something in a game from one, I can then resell the amiibo for more than I paid.

Looks like every amiibo except Pokemon work with Yarn Yoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3euhNJHK-o

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

I can't imagine what kind of vaguely coherent filibusters you would present to your parents when they told you they weren't buying you Banjo Tooie or whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

I can't imagine what kind of vaguely coherent filibusters you would present to your parents when they told you they weren't buying you Banjo Tooie or whatever.

I just saved up and bought it myself. Or put it on my birthday or Christmas wish lists.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I need E3.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

jivjov posted:

Your non-existent kids get an allowance? Spoiled little shits.

p.s. You're technically right about Nintendo not screwing over consumers with DLC but that's only because there are a whole three or four Nintendo games that even support DLC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tender Bender posted:

Can you let one person say they don't like anything about a Nintendo game without treating it like a personal vendetta?

He's right though.

Source: I have a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old and DLC has literally never been an issue

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

raditts posted:

He's right though.

He's always right.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodplay it again posted:

Your non-existent kids get an allowance? Spoiled little shits.

p.s. You're technically right about Nintendo not screwing over consumers with DLC but that's only because there are a whole three or four Nintendo games that even support DLC.

Fire Emblem Awakening, Theatrhythm and its Sequel, MAMB2, Mario Kart 8, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, mega man 9 and 10 back on the Wii....

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

don't have kids you idiots they will die in an extreme climate catastrophe

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you don't have children then you can spend all the money you like on kids amiibo toys and DLC for YOURSELF and you're also spared the pain of knowing you doomed them to live and also die horribly in a world which will be underwater or otherwise uninhabitable within their lifetimes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

jivjov posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening

And speaking of Nintendo doing bad DLC... FE:A has tons of it and the money to value ratio is rather bad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

epitasis posted:

don't have kids you idiots they will die in an extreme climate catastrophe

lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

jivjov posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening, Theatrhythm and its Sequel, MAMB2, Mario Kart 8, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Super Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, mega man 9 and 10 back on the Wii....

I don't know about most of those, but Hyrule Warriors has really cool and well-designed dlc for a good price. It also locks a single cool and fun weapon behind a $13 plastic figurine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

epitasis posted:

if you don't have children then you can spend all the money you like on kids amiibo toys and DLC for YOURSELF and you're also spared the pain of knowing you doomed them to live and also die horribly in a world which will be underwater or otherwise uninhabitable within their lifetimes

Or my kids could evolve into being kids and squids and kids again.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Oy...I swear it is always so easy to spot the non parents on the internet.

I'm not a parent either but I'm not that loving dense.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

jivjov posted:

Seriously, it can't be that hard to tell your kids "no" or "you'll have to use your own allowance" once in a while. My parents had absolutely no issue doing so with me.

"It can't be that hard" - says the guy who doesn't have any children :hurr:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny_Rocket posted:

"It can't be that hard" - says the guy who doesn't have any children :hurr:

I'm speaking from the experience I had with my parents. Maybe dad agonized for hours every time he had to tell me "no, you can't have another Star Wars figure" or whatever. But to me as a kid, it didn't seem that difficult for him.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

jivjov posted:

I'm speaking from the experience I had with my parents. Maybe dad agonized for hours every time he had to tell me "no, you can't have another Star Wars figure" or whatever. But to me as a kid, it didn't seem that difficult for him.

Speaking from the experience you had with your parents does not equal the experience of being an actual parent (I'm a young father myself, so I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you at all jivjov)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

raditts posted:

He's right though.

Source: I have a 5-year-old and a 6-year-old and DLC has literally never been an issue

All kids are different man. There is no single universal problem that all parents share when it comes to their personalities, likes, dislikes, triggers, etc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Speaking from the experience you had with your parents does not equal the experience of being an actual parent (I'm a young father myself, so I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you at all jivjov)

So you're saying you have severe difficulty telling your children "no I will not buy you [SOME_THING]" every time?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't mind amiibo unlocks once I realized if I really want to unlock something in a game from one, I can then resell the amiibo for more than I paid.

Yeah, this just occurred to me this morning as I drove around town looking for any stray Splatoon 3-packs. Found a lone boy! I'm glad that I'll be able to have fun with the challenges and then basically sell the DLC to someone else.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is parenting a first party or third party game for the Wii U?

e: For actual content, is their a content release map for Splatoon? I'm leaning towards picking it up, but I'm interested in knowing what all of the weekly promised content is.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
^^^ I dunno about, like, a full diagram or something, but there's 9 maps scheduled to be released before August, and something like 6 more weapons I think? There are new game modes coming as well, and lobbies in August too.

jivjov posted:

Quit telling parents how easy their job is when you don't have kids, fucknut

And don't reply to this post being a loving contrarian douche, just stop

Sade fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

jivjov posted:

So you're saying you have severe difficulty telling your children "no I will not buy you [SOME_THING]" every time?

You are still missing the point completely. Like I said in my original post to you, us parents say no all of the time and it is not always difficult. You are oversimplifying the issue.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

climate apocalypse

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

My big meanie dad said no to me all the time and he didn't even care. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Kids are the best. You can teach them to hate the things you hate. And they practically raise themselves, what with the Internet and all.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

So are you saying you have difficulty leaving this asinine derail alone in the cute gamer thread? I mean really man, just give it up. No one cares about how you think your hypothetical parenting skills are better than others' actual experience with kids.

Let's talk about cute things! does NA have an actual release date for yarn Yoshi yet?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this thread sounds like a drat mommy blog care-off

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I know what it's like to be a parent because I have parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Breadallelogram posted:

I know what it's like to be a parent because I have parents.

He knows what it's like to raise children because he is a child.

• Locked thread