Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fathis Munk posted:

Cross-post :

Apparently the letter was an actual thing, the incident does very much sound like :happened: though

Real poo poo that happened in the STDH stilted writing style? Weird.

"more than one costly pack of cigarettes per day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer"

Yes, those fancy upper-class luxuries of cigarettes, pretzels, and beer.

Like, I know, one of the arguments for quitting smoking is that it saves you money. But that's money in the long run. You may go through a few hundreds of dollars on smokes over the year, which seems silly. But a single pack is just a few bucks, arguing that somebody is rich because they can afford a $5 pack of smokes, a $2 pretzel, and a $3 beer is just stupid.

Meanwhile you're a doctor who probably makes six figures. Those spoiled poors!

Its like Republicans being shocked that people on wellfare have the nerve to ask for air conditioning and television. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Real poo poo that happened in the STDH stilted writing style? Weird.

"more than one costly pack of cigarettes per day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer"

Yes, those fancy upper-class luxuries of cigarettes, pretzels, and beer.

Like, I know, one of the arguments for quitting smoking is that it saves you money. But that's money in the long run. You may go through a few hundreds of dollars on smokes over the year, which seems silly. But a single pack is just a few bucks, arguing that somebody is rich because they can afford a $5 pack of smokes, a $2 pretzel, and a $3 beer is just stupid.

Meanwhile you're a doctor who probably makes six figures. Those spoiled poors!

Its like Republicans being shocked that people on wellfare have the nerve to ask for air conditioning and television. :rolleyes:

Well, the real poo poo is the letter. If the event happened or not is debatable.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That's not dig whistle racism, it's airhorn racism.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Cross-post :

Apparently the letter was an actual thing, the incident does very much sound like :happened: though

White people are the loving worst, drat.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

You see I am married to a guy that is a perfect match for me. We never fight, laugh all the same stupid jokes, always treat each other with respect, and love each other to the end of the Earth. There was one problem though. Our sex life has become awkward. We were having sex once a week and it was almost like it was a scheduled activity that had no spontaneity. Sometimes it almost felt like my hubby treated it like a chore. It was making me really insecure, which is something I had never been before. I couldn't believe how I was feeling about myself. All this crazy "girl" thoughts I had never had kept swirling around in my head. The sad part was I decided to just accept it. That the pros of the relationship outweighed the cons.

So one day we were laughing about an internet study about a man's sex drive and the size of the ring finger. I jokingly teased him that he was disproving the study because he matched the criteria, but had a low sex drive.He then confessed he actually does fit the study because he has a raging sex drive, he just prefers to masturbate. WHAT??!?!??! My mind exploded a little right then. How could I have missed this? What clue didn't I see? All of my insecurities I had been dealing with overwhelmed me and I could barely look at him let alone talk about this.

The next day I did what anyone would and went to the internet for answers. How could I improve our sex life to make him more interested? Was there a technique I neede to learn. What could I change to fix this? Turns out, nothing. This was his issue not mine.

You see he is a real introvert who lost his mother in an accident at 10. He never really connected with anyone after that until he met me. He had never had any real intimacy in his life and didn't know how to give himself over completely.

I compiled my facts and prepared my speech for when I got home. Turns out I didn't need it. He had been thinking about it all day too. He realized he was being selfish and unfair. That the problem wasnt' that the orgasm was better when he went solo over technical issues. It was that he was more comfortable when he was alone.He made a promise to start forgoing the ease and comfort of a daily rub-n-tug to work on us. I was so relieved, happy, overjoyed, and validated.

We now have sex 2-3 times a week and I can truly say my relationship is exactly what I want it to be. If you aren't' satisfied with something address it. No one wins when you suffer in silence.

TL:DR Talk about poo poo with your spouse

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

this one is actually probably true and it's way more sad that that's the case

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

quote:

It was making me really insecure, which is something I had never been before. I couldn't believe how I was feeling about myself. All this crazy "girl" thoughts I had never had kept swirling around in my head.

"Girl" thoughts :rolleyes:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Have some more imgur STDH.

quote:

My girlfriend is always singing throughout the day. English is not her first language and it leads to many a chuckle

quote:

English is not her first language. She is always singing and I love it for multiple reasons. It's wrong, but also sounds nice.

Sugar We're Goin Down fallout boy
In defense, i think everyone messes up that part
"Another God Complex Cock it and Pull it"

quote:

Backstreet Boys "I want it that way"

I legitimately thought she was just making fun of it at first.
"Tell me why Aint nothing but a heartache
Tell me why aint nothing but a mistake"

quote:

"Dark Horse" Katy Perry

She thought the name of the song was an innuendo. The look on the neighbors face while walking the dog was priceless.
"So you wanna play with Magic
Boy dont you know what you're falling for"

quote:

"Shake it off" Taylor Swift

I heard this too...
"FAKERS gonna fake fake fake fake fake"

quote:

Royals- Lorde

"you can call me queen bee
and baby I'll rule I'll ruule I'll Ruuule I'll ruuuuule"

quote:

Blank Space - taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has a lot of these moments with her it seems.
"Got a long list of ex lovers"
I can post more. These are just the ones I heard the last 2 days.

Things that are probably not real:
- A girlfriend
- A neighbor
- A dog
- Any of this

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This dude got a mail order bride and he thinks she is the source of humor

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Also "many a chuckle" jesus loving christ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The lonely Starbucks lovers thing thing true. That's what I though the lyrics were for some time. I don't know why he had to invent a foreign girlfriend to share misheard lyrics, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody's never been to http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
It's probably true. Except it's not "my foreign girlfriend," it's "my friend(s) and I."
Everyone has had a mondegreen moment before. I thought "Bright young women" was "Pregnant women" before I actually saw the lyrics many years later.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Ha ha, that person who speaks a second language doesn't speak it perfectly! Let's all point and laugh.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Reminds me of this, which I refuse to believe isn't staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

It's probably true. Except it's not "my foreign girlfriend," it's "my friend(s) and I."
Everyone has had a mondegreen moment before. I thought "Bright young women" was "Pregnant women" before I actually saw the lyrics many years later.

Swept up by a douche in the middle of the night.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Ha ha, that person who speaks a second language doesn't speak it perfectly! Let's all point and laugh.

And doesn't know "mistake," but knows "beefsteak."

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Zelder posted:

Swept up by a douche in the middle of the night.

Excuse me while I kiss this guy ;-*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Minarchist posted:

Excuse me while I kiss this guy ;-*

:colbert:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The lonely Starbucks lovers thing thing true. That's what I though the lyrics were for some time. I don't know why he had to invent a foreign girlfriend to share misheard lyrics, though.

I still can't get myself to hear the right lyrics to that even knowing what they are...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

sweeperbravo posted:

And doesn't know "mistake," but knows "beefsteak."

Or maybe they know both words, but can't make it out?

This is what I loving hate in this thread. There's always legitimate poo poo to pick on, and someone has to be something stupid and unlikely.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
No, for some reason the beefsteak thing irritates me extra too. The fake girlfriend would have to be retarded to think you are more likely to hear the word "beefsteak" in a pop song than "mistake".

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Telemaze posted:

No, for some reason the beefsteak thing irritates me extra too. The fake girlfriend would have to be retarded to think you are more likely to hear the word "beefsteak" in a pop song than "mistake".

I agree. If I thought a love song in Hungarian had the Hungarian words for "fart hamster" in them, I might suspect I'm hearing them wrong.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

2/10. No marriage. Would not read.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I appreciate this stdh/tl:dr format.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Store" isn't in square brackets, 4/5.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Einstein did not show up, 3/5

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

I would consider myself to be rather skilled when it comes to programming, so I thought it would be a good way to make money. I wrote a couple of scripts to show adverts when people browsed with internet explorer. When they clicked on these ads I'd be paid.

Note: this doesn't harm their PCs in any way.

I couldn't think of the best way to get a lot of people to use this software so I began looking at the offices of several medium sized companies. A friend of mine mentioned his office never lock their maintenance door because it is used too often. He was in no way complicit or new what I was going to do.

I made sure to drive past the office quite regularly, and decided that Sunday morning would be the best time. So about 2 months ago on a Sunday morning I went inside. I DID NOT BREAK IN, THEIR DOOR WAS UNLOCKED, I SIMPLY OPENED IT AND WALKED IN.

I booted up a PC with a live OS from my USB drive and copied the file to the local hard drive, and arranged for a company wide email to be sent out at 10am on Monday with the title "Office Party" and had the software in an attachment called "Party ideas". When someone opened this file it would bring up a new txt file with a hashmap drawing of a party hat, and underneath it says "Who's up for a party?" It would also install the software I wrote in the background. I thought some people might suspect a .exe file attachment was a virus, but if word got around that i brought up a silly picture more people might open it.

Anyway, this brought in a lot more money than I thought it would, there are roughly 500 - 600 employees based at that office, with another smaller office of 200ish people. So the email I sent either went to more than the whole office or people have been spreading it around. Not that I mind of course.

I spoke to my friend again this past Saturday and he said that they've had company wide email about the attachment and that how it's a virus and is being investigated. The poor girl whose PC the emails came from is distraught apparently, and is being accused of going on NSFW websites.

I don't think it can be traced back to me, and even if it can I don't think i've actually done anything illegal! Their office was free for me to walk into, there was no keep out signs, and it wasn't even locked! Secondly I've not done any damage to their PCs, it purely shows ads and can be removed by using "add / remove programs". It is NOT malicious, it does not copy itself, or try to hide AT ALL.

Do I need a lawyer?

Can I eve get in trouble if I'm caught?

Thanks,

EDIT: Again, I did not break in. I simply walked in. There was no force involved in my entry at all.

EDIT 2: Yes you're all very funny. But no-one has provided a valid reason why I could get into trouble for this? It's not like i stole anything, unless you count the air I breathed when I was in the office for fucks sake! Ads aren't evil, it's Google's whole business model!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If a homeless man had a sword he wouldn't be homeless for long.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Dude wasn't homeless. That's a murder weapon :tinfoil:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Now he's homeless and swordless.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not that it matters in this case, but it looks really bad in court if a company fails to implement the most basic IT security measures, and locking the door counts as one.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

This was just...so unnecessarily wordy and pretentious. I just did not enjoy it at all. Which makes me sad because the summary says it's for fans of gay people, applause, and poo poo that didn't happen. Aka three of my favorite things. So how did I loathe this so entirely from page one? I don't know. 1/5

context

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Context for the lazy ones : Someone gave a one star review on some fantasy/philosophy book on Goodreads.

quote:

This was just...so unnecessarily wordy and pretentious. I just did not enjoy it at all. Which makes me sad because the summary says it's for fans of Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and World of Warcraft. Aka three of my favorite things. So how did I loathe this so entirely from page one? I don't know.

Queue the author responding with the now deleted post :

quote:

Onslaught of 1 Star Ratings
Based on my response to people that attacked my work, a group of individuals have worked in unison to give me over 100 1-star ratings in less than 24 hours.

Obviously, regardless of one's opinion of me, this is immoral, wrong, and harmful behavior (to destroy someone's work based on your perception of that individual). However, it is a great example of how the Universe respects unison. If only we could somehow channel our energies into stopping wars, famine, poverty, scarcity, debt, and unnatural death, we could make a better world overnight, just as this microcosm proves humanity's capacity to destroy overnight. This is the message behind The Tale of Onora that I am so passionate about defending.

But in any event, that's why the world is in the shape it's in, and that's why I'm so passionate about defending art, even if it's not my own art, from golems that feel the need to disgrace it with unwarranted poor reviews that drive other people away from giving it a chance. We live in a cult-ure that erroneously believes that insulting someone's hard work is acceptable as long as it's on some type of forum. This is a wrong/erroneous way of thinking. Art, from music, to performance, to the written/spoken word, must be nourished and protected, EVEN IF ONE DOES NOT LIKE IT, if humanity is going to break free of its current condition of slavery.

There are FAR MORE pressing issues in this world than my book ratings, but this effort contains enough harmful action to warrant a response from me to let those who do come across my work know that the in less than 24 hours, the majority of ratings on Goodreads of my books are in fact from people that have not read my books, nor do they understand how to exercise conscience, but who all lie and say they would've given my books a chance had things been different. This is nothing more than them trying to absolve themselves from their immoral actions and justify their behavior, something that cannot be done in reality. The Tale of Onora has been out for over a year, and these people didn't know about it till today. Meanwhile, five of the world's largest banks acted in concert to manipulate international interest and foreign currency exchange rates, plundering TRILLIONS of dollars worth of our wealth and these very people were woefully silent. Silence in the face of evil is in itself evil.

Chelsea (Bradley) Manning rots in prison for exposing the innocent murder of civilians, and people remained silent. See for yourself: https://youtu.be/Yw442y2fTeU

Perhaps the negative attention towards me will draw you to a real issue. These are the same immoral people think murder is wrong but that killing millions of Iraqis is "justifiable." These are the same people that are responsible for the deaths of over 10 Billion land animals in the US every year, but will tell you torture, false imprisonment, and murder is wrong, and they'll also tell you that they're good people and behave morally, probably while eating a burger.

The message behind The Tale of Onora is to enlighten yourself to a level where you understand how to say "No" to all those who would enslave you, and discover the cognitive dissonance we are in and get out of it. Never back down from those that won't leave you alone. Do not use violence ever, but don't shy away from your sacred right of the principle of Self-Defense.

To those that knew of my work before this and spent the time and attention to read this, thank you for your support of me in my endeavors thus far, and to those of you that give my book a try despite the attacks on me, thank you in advance. I want my career to reward you on the way

Best,

Dylan Saccoccio

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Cross Post from the Idiots on Social Media thread :

Danyull posted:

Someone I know shared this (double as STDH):

quote:

I walked out of Wal Mart today and got in my car. As I began to pull out, I had to wait for a man in a wheelchair to pass by. As I watched him, I noticed that he was missing his right leg from the knee down and was wearing, what appeared to be, old, government issued, combat boots. He was (from my guess) in his late sixties/early seventies and seemed to be stopping to take a break. He had not realized that I had started my car and was attempting to pull out, so when he saw me, he waved in an apologetic manner and rolled forward three more times and took another break. I backed up my car the inches I had previously pulled forward, put it in park, turned off the engine, and got out. I walked up to him and introduced myself. I asked him if I could assist him with his shopping today, and he, quite grumpily, said that he was doing just fine and was not getting much anyways. Me, being as stubborn as I am, insisted and proceeded to push him and tell him a little about myself. He interrupted me and said that he only needed help to the door, to which I picked up where I had left off before he interrupted me. I told him about Fayetteville, and my horses, and my nephews (I had parked a good ways away from the doors). And when I reached the doors, I continued to push him and talk. We reached the produce area and I asked him to tell me about himself. He reluctantly looked at me and began telling me that he lived in Sod- Lincoln County, and that he just recently lost his wife. I asked him if he was a veteran, to which he replied that he was- but with pain on his face, so I changed the subject and asked if he had made a shopping list. He handed me a list with only four things on it: peanut butter, soup, bread, and bananas. So we began shopping and I continued to talk... hard to believe- I know. Once we had gotten the items he needed, I asked if he needed the essentials: milk, eggs, butter. He told me that he might not make it home, without them going bad. So I questioned how he got to the store. He told me that he did what he was doing in the parking lot until he got to 119 and then hitch hiked with a trucker to the parking lot. So I called a taxi for him and grabbed the essentials plus a few other things and put them in the cart. After placing a gallon of milk in his cart he was crying. People were passing by us, looking sideways at him. I knelt down and asked him what was wrong and he replied, that I "was doing far too much for an old man that I barely knew." I told him that where I am from, and from the family I was raised in, we help one another, no matter the task and that I had never met a stranger. I also told him that he deserved everything I was doing for him because he fought for my freedom and sacrificed so much. We made it to the check out line and I paid for his groceries, against his request. When we got outside, we waited for the taxi together. He thanked me over and over again and appeared- to me- to have been in a much better mood than when I found him. When the taxi arrived, I helped him load his groceries and wheelchair into the taxi and asked the driver to take him home and help him into his house with his groceries. I gave him the only cash I had on me- $44, also against his will. I told him thank you for his service before closing the door. Tears formed again and he thanked me one last time and said, "God bless you." I returned to my car, and could not help but cry. This is the world we live in today. How many people passed him and would have continued to pass him while he struggled? How many people are willing to give their money to Vanity Fair to read all about Bruce Jenner and not help a veteran pay for his groceries? Today was a truly humbling experience for me, and I consider myself extremely blessed to have the capability of understanding what is truly important in this world. THAT man was a HERO, and far too many will say otherwise. I am sorry that this post was so long, and if you have read it to this point, I hope you are as humbled as I was. God bless the men and women who have fought for our right to view the wrong people as heroes, and thank God for the people who know better.

TL;DR Blah blah blah I am an amazing person blah blah blah gently caress that tranny are freedoms

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
People who brag about what good people they are are pretty much universally the worst. Like your oral sex skills, your philanthropic spirit is something that should really only be commented on by other people.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I've seen enough people buying service men/women things in stores and restaurants that doesn't seem like total STDH.
He probably backed out and thought to himself *someone* should help that man as he drove off though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Remember, when you see someone in a wheelchair, make sure you push them where you think they need to go against their express wishes, and let them know in any way you can think of that you don't think they can live their own life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

People who brag about what good people they are are pretty much universally the worst. Like your oral sex skills, your philanthropic spirit is something that should really only be commented on by other people.

• Locked thread