Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dias posted:

DIO could've just walked up to Joseph, stabbed him in the heart

Assuming Joseph wasn't channeling Hamon. It can go through metal after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The whole reason Dio does that is because Joseph was channeling hamon all over using purple hermit

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

Not only that, his Time Stop works on Frieza time.

Being stabbed in the heart would have been a mercy though. It'd be a much quicker way to go than right in the windpipe. I can't imagine the agony.

Eh, DIO is a vampire and has a Stand that is stronger than one that was able to catch a bullet, he can get a poo poo load of stuff done in a few seconds.

DIO can apparently fly now I guess. I guess that Dio has a cooldown on THE WORLD so he cant just constantly spam his ability to have, like, only a fraction of a second at a time where he isn't just moving in stopped time.

I enjoyed everyone who didn't know's guesses were on what THE WORLD did, since I think I knew about that before I even saw any JoJo, so it's hard to objectively say how obvious the foreshadowing was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I enjoyed everyone who didn't know's guesses were on what THE WORLD did, since I think I knew about that before I even saw any JoJo, so it's hard to objectively say how obvious the foreshadowing was.

Well, there were the stills in the OP and all of the clock gears.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Not only that, his Time Stop works on Frieza time.

Being stabbed in the heart would have been a mercy though. It'd be a much quicker way to go than right in the windpipe. I can't imagine the agony.

DIO actually kinda explains how bullshit that "five second limit" is too, though it may have just been him making a joke.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

DIO actually kinda explains how bullshit that "five second limit" is too, though it may have just been him making a joke.

It's a joke, it's weird to talk about time passing when time is stopped, it's contradictory.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

It's a joke, it's weird to talk about time passing when time is stopped, it's contradictory.

Yeah but it can work on two levels. At the very least, even if it's unintentional the line always made me not give a poo poo about how long DIO spends dicking around in those five seconds.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DIO: can stop time, has Star Platinum 2.0, can fly, is a vampire, handsome

DIO is Overpowered Bullshit

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Kakyoin's death was the only spoiler i had seen for the finale. It still hurt.

Rero rero in heaven, you beautiful bastard.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:rip: in peace you loving weirdo. :smith:

Fantastic episode. My only complaint is that David didn't recreate the swag-rear end angle of Jotaro walking towards Dio. Also, as cool as the time stop effect is, I don't think I can take it seriously after imagining https://d.maxfile.ro/ouikkbbhkc.webm and https://d.maxfile.ro/qbyxzdsbgy.webm as Dio ripping a HUGE fart.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kakyoin was the best Crusader. :smith:

Granted, they're all pretty great in their own way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

Yeah The World is pretty well rounded

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Mugticket posted:

There is also this:

This exactly how my brain imagined a lot of Dio's pranks to happen to actually "work". The ghost might give a hand, but some things seems tricky to pull off within the time limit (and what a pain to return to the same exact pose to not give it away! :v:).

"Is that... mustard on your chin DIO? Where did that come from?!"

"Do you remember how many hot dogs you have eaten in your life?"

"Oh. My. God."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah The World is pretty well rounded

OH  MY  GOD

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The flow of time resumes...

It has the power to stop time!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dias posted:

To be correct. It is Faster and Stronger then Star Platinum. But it is not as precise and the World's durability is pretty crappy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be correct. It is Faster and Stronger then Star Platinum. But it is not as precise and the World's durability is pretty crappy.

So, it's Better, Faster, Stronger but not really Harder.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually, aside from precision, they're pretty evenly matched in terms of stats.

And even that doesn't determine which is better. After all, Star Platinum has an A in speed, but so does Tower of Gray.

Star Platinum

Destructive Power: A
Speed: A
Range: C
Durability: A
Precision: A
Developmental Potential: A

The World

Destructive Power: A
Speed: A
Range: C
Durability: A
Precision: B
Developmental Potential: B

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
STATS = USELESS

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just wanna point out that Dio could easily have ended the show right there in the tower, but he passed up the perfect chance to kill all of his enemies in one stroke in favor of freaking them the gently caress out. And punishing Nukesaku.

Dio is just about unmatched for sheer loving arrogance.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Didn't Joseph specifically say that Dio couldn't have done that thanks to the time limit?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

They were also standing in the light at the time.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad that there are people that managed to avoid all the references and memes about DIO and his power all these years and that they could see this arc with fresh eyes.

For reference, I was spoiled by touhou, before I even knew what jojo was.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Star Platinum posted:

I don't think I can take it seriously after imagining https://d.maxfile.ro/ouikkbbhkc.webm and https://d.maxfile.ro/qbyxzdsbgy.webm as Dio ripping a HUGE fart.

The true power of THE WORLD isn't the power to stop time. At first, when DIO was learning it, he would only let out farts that entranced those around him in awe for a brief moment. But as he got more accustomed to it, hits farts were more intense and carried further. Eventually, he was able to stop not only people, but even fundamental forces of the universe were held in awe. Because of this, he now radiates CHARISMA. People are inexplicably drawn to him because of his divine talent to let one rip.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad people got to experience this fresh.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who played the EU release of Steins;Gate, which came out on PS3/Vita today, would have had what the The World does spoiled in like 30 minutes.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

the stats don't really mean anything at all, they're like an even less useful version of dbz power levels

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Saagonsa posted:

Didn't Joseph specifically say that Dio couldn't have done that thanks to the time limit?

That was just his guess. The real reason is that Dio is an arrogant gently caress. They pose zero threat to him, so he is going to take his time and slaughter them slowly.

He could have stopped time and killed them all instantly with thrown knives like Joseph instead of messing with them and killing Nukesaku. Or at least, most of them.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

He could have stopped time and killed them all instantly with thrown knives like Joseph instead of messing with them and killing Nukesaku. Or at least, most of them.

He didn't think of the knife thing until Joseph though.

I wonder what would happen if Dio touched sunlight while time was stopped.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

STATS = USELESS
This so much.

The JoJo wiki lists a C Range as equating to 20 meters which is 66 feet. It would be so loving broken if Jotaro or DIO could manifest their Stands over 60 feet away from their bodies.

So Stands and fan wikis = Useless.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

There's also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTA-j99KCg

I was spoiled on this fight like, ten years ago by one of those terrible Mario 64 machinimas my teen self loved.

And in the show Heroes, Hiro, who is able to stop time, paraphrases MUDA MUDA at least twice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

the stats don't really mean anything at all, they're like an even less useful version of dbz power levels

Sometimes they mean things, like Joseph having an E in Developmental Potential being proven by his mastery of Hermit Purple.

But more often than not, they are just flavor stats.

ChronoReverse posted:

He didn't think of the knife thing until Joseph though.

He also didn't have any on hand.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Stink Terios posted:

And in the show Heroes, Hiro, who is able to stop time, paraphrases MUDA MUDA at least twice.

Hiro specifically says Jotaro is his favourite character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I dislike the inclusion of stats because they encourage "So which stand is stronger?" discussions, which I think defeats the whole point of stands (in general) being based around unique abilities rather than raw power.

Range matters. Power "Matters" in that punchghosts are the exception to the rule and worth singling out. Everything else is superfluous.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speed matters, too. Can't win if you can't hit the guy.

Well, I guess you could hit the Stand User, but still.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Speed matters in a general sense, but not in the way a stats graph would suggest.

There are very few points in the series where being able to win a proverbial "Quickdraw" is relevant.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I actually like the stats, because they further reinforce the notion that a smart guy with a supposedly "weak" Stand could beat a dumb guy with a really OP Stand.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

For instance, when Kakyoin's Heirophant Green trumped Grey Fly despite it being a much slower stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I want to see Dio's smug loving face get smashed in.

I WANT VENGEANCE DAMNIT :mad:

• Locked thread