Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

PitViper posted:

Do you have the 16GB, or 500GB model? I'm considering replacing my old Atom/Ion XBMC homebrew with something a bit more wife-friendly, and if this will do Kodi/Hulu/Netflix it looks like a winner. All my media/database is centralized on a NAS, and we cut the cable a few years ago.

I was considering a Fire TV, which is about 1/2-1/3 the price, but the Shield looks more capable, and not much more than rolling my own mini-pc.

If thats your case you will love it. It is a bit pricey but I save far more not having cable and I know this will last a long time. I had a Fire Stick which was underpowered but this interface is way more slick and it can Chromecast which is a huge convenience. I got the 16GB version but apparently you can hook up external storage. I have a NAS/plex server so I don't have any need to store media on the Shield device itself. I don't game so I'm not installing huge games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey dudes, anyone using Kore on Android to control a windows Kodi server?

I can't make the bastard connect. XBMC Remote works perfectly. I don't get it

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

hey dudes, anyone using Kore on Android to control a windows Kodi server?

I can't make the bastard connect. XBMC Remote works perfectly. I don't get it

I am but I don't have a lot of light to share on the subject, since it worked without a hitch for me. Do you have an error message or anything?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Is Windows Firewall on? If its behind a hardware firewall, turn it off or open up whatever port Kore uses to interface with Kodi (80 or 8080, I believe?)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Done all that, i have XBMC remote, and Yatse both working right out of the gate, virtually the exact same setup. Just says "couldn't connect to kodi/xbmc check configuration"

I'm not the first according to the kodi forum, but no explanation in sight. Might stick with Yatse, it does everything i want and more.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What Kodi skins do you guys like? The default is a little too unwieldy for me, let alone the normals who use it. I grabbed a few at random, I like Xperience1080 so far. Seems like it's a little easier to sense where you are in the menus. And it gives a glimpse as to what the Xbox would be like if it weren't an advertising delivery mechanism.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Everyone likes different skins for different reasons. I like amber, mimic, and atv.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've been using Eminence for what feels like a couple years. I try something different every once in awhile but always come back to Eminence.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I only use Confluence.

Edit: I use Confluence because I can easily see the most recent TV episodes and it uses an image from the episode rather than a poster of the show. I like how for movies I can quickly browse by genre, year, director, etc. from the main screen. I like that it's the default skin and I don't have to gently caress with installing a new skin and configuring it on the multiple boxes in my house.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 4, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Confluence

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm all about Amber. The ability to easily add add-ons to the home page along with custom art won me over.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Retouched on my phone, tablet and both pc's.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Today I'm starting a new HTPC build, I decided to with a Silverstone GD04B instead of one of the sexy new itx with full graphics card cases like the Fractal Node 202 as I wanted more room for quiet cooling. Also, the GD04 should be about the same size a most HT receivers I have to choose from so they should look nice sitting next to each others.

Something I am wondering, but unsure if it's better to ask here or the graphics card thread, are there any (modern, nvidia 9x0 or 750) graphics card that do HDMI output significantly better or worse than others? Current I have a evga 560ti and using it's (mini/micro with the correct adapter) hdmi on my Panasonic plasma it looks like crap and doesn't play nice with my monitors either. I am thinking a 750ti or 960 will have ample power for 1080p gaming.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aquila posted:

Today I'm starting a new HTPC build, I decided to with a Silverstone GD04B instead of one of the sexy new itx with full graphics card cases like the Fractal Node 202 as I wanted more room for quiet cooling. Also, the GD04 should be about the same size a most HT receivers I have to choose from so they should look nice sitting next to each others.

I got that case. I like it! It's not totally silent, but I can't hear it when watching TV or anything. I could probably swap out the fans, but :effort:

The one problem I had was hooking up the power to the hard drive. The way the hard drive sits, every plug I tried directed the wires directly into the mounting plate. I ended up loosening the screws slightly and having the drive sit at a bit of an angle to make room.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Aquila posted:

Something I am wondering, but unsure if it's better to ask here or the graphics card thread, are there any (modern, nvidia 9x0 or 750) graphics card that do HDMI output significantly better or worse than others? Current I have a evga 560ti and using it's (mini/micro with the correct adapter) hdmi on my Panasonic plasma it looks like crap and doesn't play nice with my monitors either. I am thinking a 750ti or 960 will have ample power for 1080p gaming.

What issues are you having with your image? I have a 970 paired with an ST50 with no issues, but you do need to turn off some of the TV's processing effects.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

rizzo1001 posted:

What issues are you having with your image? I have a 970 paired with an ST50 with no issues, but you do need to turn off some of the TV's processing effects.

I only tried this a once when I got the tv a year or two ago, it looked like it was showing a gray layer or something on the tv, I forget now. The bigger problem was the I couldn't run both (1440p) monitors I had at the same time as the tv, even one monitor and the tv didn't play too nice. The latter shouldn't be an issue now, this is going to be a separate system from my desktop. Actually I've never done a system with only a tv for its display, is this going to work ok? Obviously I'll have a spare monitor to hookup for testing and getting things setup. Also will the hdmi out from whatever gfx card I get provide sound (when I run it into the tv or ht receiver)?

Uthor posted:

I got that case. I like it! It's not totally silent, but I can't hear it when watching TV or anything. I could probably swap out the fans, but :effort:

:kimchi:

I might swap in some noctua fans if I find it too loud during use, but that won't be the first round.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aquila posted:

Actually I've never done a system with only a tv for its display, is this going to work ok? Obviously I'll have a spare monitor to hookup for testing and getting things setup. Also will the hdmi out from whatever gfx card I get provide sound (when I run it into the tv or ht receiver)?

My HTPC, I built and set up using only my TV with no issues. It's just a big 1080p monitor. My current desktop I used as an HTPC for a few months when I first got it. That one had a weird bug where I would only see the upper left quarter of the BIOS screen blown up to fill the entire TV, but everything else worked fine.

And, yes, sound comes out of the HMDI port. I have my computer hooked up to the receiver with HDMI, which then sends video to the TV over HDMI and audio to the speakers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I hate hate hate consumer electronics. So I have an Onkyo reciever, a decent Samsung TV, a Samsung BD Player, Chromecast, and an HTPC. I also have an RF remote. The only problem is the universal remote doesn't have IR, so when I push the button for HTPC, it can't turn on the TV. All the media gear is in a rack in my basement, with an RF to IR blaster. The receiver and all that turn on, but the TV doesn't. So I configure HDMI-CEC (which is called different things on all the different brands). But since the HTPC doesn't support it, if I attempt to do anything it will just keep switching to the BD Player or Chromecast. If I set the receiver to the right HTPC input, it will change after a few seconds back to the player. It's so frustrating. Also, each device has a bunch of CEC settings that are vague and not descriptive. The manuals are also vague and descriptive. I tried every combination, but each one fails in it's own weird way.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Run an ir blaster to the tv

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I hate hate hate consumer electronics. So I have an Onkyo reciever, a decent Samsung TV, a Samsung BD Player, Chromecast, and an HTPC. I also have an RF remote. The only problem is the universal remote doesn't have IR, so when I push the button for HTPC, it can't turn on the TV. All the media gear is in a rack in my basement, with an RF to IR blaster. The receiver and all that turn on, but the TV doesn't. So I configure HDMI-CEC (which is called different things on all the different brands). But since the HTPC doesn't support it, if I attempt to do anything it will just keep switching to the BD Player or Chromecast. If I set the receiver to the right HTPC input, it will change after a few seconds back to the player. It's so frustrating. Also, each device has a bunch of CEC settings that are vague and not descriptive. The manuals are also vague and descriptive. I tried every combination, but each one fails in it's own weird way.

CEC for your PC: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

Designed to work with Kodi, but the library is open source so other things work with it too. A bit expensive though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Run an ir blaster to the tv

Yeah, that's the best option, but the way the AV stuff is in another room it's a lot of work for little reward. I have a USB and HDMI cable running from my basement AV rack up to the TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yeah, that's the best option, but the way the AV stuff is in another room it's a lot of work for little reward. I have a USB and HDMI cable running from my basement AV rack up to the TV.

You can bridge ir over hdmi

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...xYLOhoCYRbw_wcB

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wow, that's perfect. I didn't realize that such a thing existed.

EDIT: Reviews seem to indicate that it requires both devices to be on before it starts working. However it's vague and not indicted specifically.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, that's perfect. I didn't realize that such a thing existed.

EDIT: Reviews seem to indicate that it requires both devices to be on before it starts working. However it's vague and not indicted specifically.

You're the king of the buy and return. Why not just risk that massive $25 and try it out?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You're the king of the buy and return. Why not just risk that massive $25 and try it out?

Don't enable me. I'm seriously weighing the hassle of setting it all up, and trying to actually value my time. It's one that when I can take care of something on my lunch break at work, but another thing entirely when it takes evening time at home when I'm with the kids. That said, I'll almost assuredly buy it and test it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Don't enable me. I'm seriously weighing the hassle of setting it all up, and trying to actually value my time. It's one that when I can take care of something on my lunch break at work, but another thing entirely when it takes evening time at home when I'm with the kids. That said, I'll almost assuredly buy it and test it.

Wonder if a little powered splitter would work inline

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Wonder if a little powered splitter would work inline

Several of the reviews on amazon indicate that is a working solution. I could use CEC, but since the HTPC doesn't support it, the CEC enabled inputs keep taking over. Probably the easiest solution is to buy that thing and see if it works without any fussing. I just really hate consumer electronics, it's such a weird world of work arounds and hacks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

tbf any installer that set that up and didn't run an ir blaster cable is poo poo

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

tbf any installer that set that up and didn't run an ir blaster cable is poo poo

I did it myself...uh...it was never an issue, since the Logitech 890 has an IR emitter on it, but I'm upgrading to the Harmony Home Hub, and the cheaper one doesn't have IR on the remote. I can run the IR blaster, but I just don't feel like it.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Need a suggest for a htpc setup for old idiot parents

Current setup is TV and movie mkvs on xpenology gen8 microserver. It feeds my RPi2 OpenElec controlled using Yatse on my phone (CEC controls not working on my old Sony, only power on and off). My sister uses her smartTV to stream and play the mkvs, no transcoding done on the NAS, everything is done by her TV.

I'd preferably like to keep it this way, all decoding done on the client, no transcoding on the NAS. It will be wireless unless I drop another £70 for power line adapters. I've thought about getting another RPi2 with OpenElec and trying to find a super simple skin and hope that the CEC works on their TV better than mine but they're really hopeless when it comes to this stuff, need to keep it as simple as possible.

I'm not against getting another device if it works and has a simple UI and remote. Can Chromecast or WDTV Live play 1080p mkvs without transcoding?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chromebox + openelec + flirc?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
They'd still have to use OpenElec though, which might be too complicated. I suppose with CEC or Flirc I could programme the remote so there is a movie and TV button and remove every other option from the UI to make it simpler. I might as well get a RPi2 though since its cheaper, but will have to figure out the wireless situation. Its £50 for a RPi2 bundle with OpenElec preinstalled and all the cables and then £70 for PowerLine which will probably be less than a Chromebox?

How well does flirc work without line of sight? Thinking about getting one for my RPi bit its hidden at the bottom of the cabinet, blocked by mattress and bed

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How well does flirc work without line of sight? Thinking about getting one for my RPi bit its hidden at the bottom of the cabinet, blocked by mattress and bed

Well, seeing as it's infrared, it doesn't.

I got a USB extension cord and snaked it to just under the TV. That works great without having the flirc take up one of the front ports of my HTPC or get blocked by my coffee table.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I feel like an Android TV + Plex replaces the need to use a HTPC for 90% of applications. What are you doing on your HTPC that it needs an input?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

I feel like an Android TV + Plex replaces the need to use a HTPC for 90% of applications. What are you doing on your HTPC that it needs an input?

Specifically Hulu has a ton of nonplayable videos on mobile.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
E

Specifically Hulu has a ton of nonplayable videos on mobile.

Even chromecasting? I didn't know that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

5436 posted:

E

Even chromecasting? I didn't know that.

Yeah. A bunch is desktop only. Also amazon instant video is limited on android TV or Chromecast.

I also use Xbox 360 controllers for emulators on my htpc a lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If Steam In-Home streaming ever becomes possible via the Steam Android app, then an Android TV streamer is the only box I'll ever need.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Yeah. A bunch is desktop only. Also amazon instant video is limited on android TV or Chromecast.

I also use Xbox 360 controllers for emulators on my htpc a lot.

The NVIDIA Shield Controller is decent but it can pair with any bluetooth. Also chromecasting Amazon Prime works really well, way better than a normal chromecast. I tried an SNES emulator app and it worked pretty well and was simple to setup. I used to have the same issue (amazon, live tv, etc) on my HTPC but its so clunky to use. Now my HTPC is just a plex server and records live tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teagone posted:

If Steam In-Home streaming ever becomes possible via the Steam Android app, then an Android TV streamer is the only box I'll ever need.

If you have an nVidia card check out Limelight. Open source receiver for GeForce Experience streams, works on anything.