Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I listened to his podcast for longer than I should have, but honestly it was all the "Canada is amazing, and so much better than America" stuff that I just got sick of hearing about. Also everything turns into a joke about Hitler, Helen Keller, or sharks. It's the same stuff over and over again.

Edit: I have nothing against Canada, but it's just hearing it every single episode that got so old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

His constant attacks on celebrities who have wronged him (in his mind) is annoying as poo poo too.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Yaws posted:

His constant attacks on celebrities who have wronged him (in his mind) is annoying as poo poo too.

The thing with Bruce Willis was pretty funny though

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bruce Willis is one to talk, man,
His films are mostly poo poo-can,
If anything they make good company-e-e-e-e-e-e-e

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

zandert33 posted:

I listened to his podcast for longer than I should have, but honestly it was all the "Canada is amazing, and so much better than America" stuff

It was awkward when he came up to Canada and lectured us about our own history, often getting things wrong and having the audience correct him. Then he would resume, get it wrong again, and be corrected again.

I got bored of this quite fast and left.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sounds like a Weeaboo for Canada (a Canuckaboo? Moosaboo?)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Sounds like a Weeaboo for Canada (a Canuckaboo? Moosaboo?)

A Maple Boo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
A sunbird

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you genuinely can't tell what sets apart Dawn of the Dead from any other horror film of its vintage, it's worth giving Ebert's review a read. educate yourself.

Just posting to say I really enjoyed watching this movie, and found it an incredible watch. Saw it last year for the first time, and was very glad I did see it.

Calling it a horror movie I almost feel is a tad bit inaccurate as it's actually really well made from all angles.

Also agreed with the comments about humor. I found it HILARIOUS they snuck that in towards the end, almost like the crew and every one else was just having a blast on set during a blooper rather than an actual scene.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The thing with Bruce Willis was pretty funny though

It's weird that I think Smith tells that story and hopes that people go 'Man, Willis is an rear end in a top hat', but I can't help but side with Willis there. I suppose you could argue that being utterly visibly bored on camera is a lovely thing to do when you're getting paid good money but I don't think you can go faking joy either.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm not a filmmaker, but if each director and writer knew all of the lenses, wouldnt there be no directors of photography?

Its like how people expect the president know each and every little thing on demand. Like he goes into an asian crisis with an intimate knowledge of mongolian ethnic tensions. Thats why we have a state department.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
But presumably it's also a President's job to take the wealth of information that is available to him through staff that he's often selected himself and be able to apply informed decision making in the future without constantly differing to them.

In the case of a filmmaker who's been working for several years, the danger is that if you still haven't even accidentally picked up on the technical terminology that, frankly, you should be the most familiar with since the 'look' of your film is going to be the thing you're most directly involved in, this presents issues of getting shooting done in a timely manner with a minimum of miscommunication. In general, especially if you're working on a major studio project and not an indie film, not being able to effectively and succinctly communicate knowledge that you've developed from years of experience is going to breed an atmosphere and cynicism in a working environment in which most of the people there are already extremely overworked and spend much of their day waiting for the shot to be ready.

Compounding this is that what has been over-flatteringly referred to as Smith's 'style' is basically just flat and expressionless. Even to the extent that the visual style of his films have evolved over the decades, films such as Clerks II, Cop Out, and Zack & Miri (all with cinematography by David Klein, who worked with Smith on Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy as well) don't really demonstrate a unique visual style but one that's largely derivative of what you might find in any mediocre mainstream comedy. This is a consequence of his lack of aesthetic ambition. A President whose governance was analogous to Smith's direction would rightfully be looked down upon as intellectually lazy, as abjectly and consistently failing to affect positive social or cultural or political change from his office, and being generally unfit for the job.

It's the Mr. Smith Goes to Washington problem. George W. Bush is Mr. Smith.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I picked up the lens sizes by the time I finished my senior project in film school. It's really not that hard to learn them, and the idea that someone who had been working as long as Smith had no knowledge of them is insane to me. Like, I'm not an expert on any of the cinematography stuff by any means, but the amount you learn just by osmosis on sets is usually quite a bit. I went into stuff knowing zero about how to do proper lighting, what lenses looked like what, etc. and now have at least a passing knowledge of all that stuff just from seeing my cinematographers and gaffers do all that stuff.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
but then he wouldn't be the indie darling entrepenour he assumes he still is

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I mean, he is an indie darling entrepreneur. That's not up for debate, that's a verifiable fact. It's just not relevant to whether or not his movies look like poo poo. (And they do.)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Didnt BB King not know how to read music for a LONG way into his career?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
hell, I know stuff about lens sizes and I don't even own a camera, let alone have gone to film school

K. Waste posted:

It's the Mr. Smith Goes to Washington problem. George W. Bush is Mr. Smith.

gently caress you I was gonna post this

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If you could put it into words, what has Smith taught himself? What has he learned in over twenty years of filmmaking? How is this observable in his films?

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

That's kind of a false equivalency. Even if he couldn't read music, he probably knew the names of the notes he was playing. The Smith/lens comparison would be more like a musician who talks about his music by going, "You know, I start by playing that one note that's kinda high, and then a note that's a little less high, and then a really low note." Is it possible to still play good music without knowing what the notes are called? Sure -- but if you're a lovely musician AND you don't know what the notes are, it stands to reason that you should study music a little harder. (At least if you want to be a financially successful artist who isn't reviled by both critics and peers.) If Kevin Smith were a visually competent director, it might not be as big a deal that he's not well-versed in the technical vernacular. But he's not, and for the people who have to work with him, it has to be intensely frustrating dealing with someone who thinks he can just keep falling upward indefinitely.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

lots of guitarists don't know how to read music because it's not really necessary, guitars are what you call an equal tempered instrument, each string is separated by an interval of 5 semitones meaning you can play the same note in multiple positions on the instrument, so reading music to play a song only tells you what notes to play, not which position to play them in, so you can't sight read

pianos for example only have notes in one position so if you read music you can sight read

of course there are other types of equal tempered instruments where the musician typically can read music, but you usually still have to work out the position of the notes on the neckboard beforehand, and it's easier to follow along with other players in an orchestra because the sheet music gives you exact timings for the notes

guitarists don't really play with orchestras, not electric guitarists anyway, and timing is what the drummer is for

long story short, it's a bad comparison, it'd be more like a guitarist not knowing what anything on the guitar is called and not knowing how to tune the instrument or maintain it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Calling it a horror movie I almost feel is a tad bit inaccurate as it's actually really well made from all angles.
What would be a better descriptor?

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Vargo posted:

I'm more more forgiving of Kevin Smith's work than most people around here. I'm one of the few people who approve of Chasing Amy being in the Criterions.

Haha, who are the assholes that object to this? It's one of the best films of the 90s. The fisting stuff in it was a tad gross though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kevin Smith not knowing lens sizes is more akin to a musician who doesn't know the difference between the different gauges his guitar strings come in.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Kevin Smith not knowing lens sizes is more akin to a musician who doesn't know the difference between the different gauges his guitar strings come in.

god it's like you didn't even read my post!!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cat doter posted:

god it's like you didn't even read my post!!!

I read like, the first paragraph but then I got bored. Like Kevin Smith in a film class.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I read like, the first paragraph but then I got bored. Like Kevin Smith in a film class.

but, unlike kevin smith's movies, my posts are good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cat doter posted:

but, unlike kevin smith's movies, my posts are good

You know I've read the giant bomb thread, this is very debatable.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
We need a thread like this except about Queintin Tarantino. Come on, his career mirrors that of Smith -- glorious 90s hits followed by much masturbatory flair in the subsequent 1.5 decade.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Nah, Death Proof is a remarkably understated and restrained film, given its subject matter. Inglourious Basterds is also still quite good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Hand posted:

We need a thread like this except about Queintin Tarantino. Come on, his career mirrors that of Smith -- glorious 90s hits followed by much masturbatory flair in the subsequent 1.5 decade.

Not really, other than Deathproof, Tarantino has never made a bad film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

And even Deathproof has its moments.

The other thing about Tarantino v. Smith is that you can actually see Tarantino grow and develop as a filmmaker over 2 decades. Can you imagine Smith ever being able to pull off the tracking shot through the club in Kill Bill v. 1?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Hand posted:

if quentin tarantino continues to make stuff like django unchained he can masturbate directly onto my face as far as I'm concerned

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

TheJoker138 posted:

Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds and Django are all a considerable step down from his his three major 90s film as far as originality and creativity are concerned.

The thing is that Tarantino can always construct decent scenes that can be appreciated in and of themselves as snippets, but his 90s stuff is more cohesive and serious than his schlocky super-camp "I'm referencing poo poo I saw in the 70s" crap he's been putting out in the last decade and some.

It's dead-end cinema.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mr. Hand posted:

Kill Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds and Django are all a considerable step down from his his three major 90s film as far as originality and creativity are concerned.

The thing is that Tarantino can always construct decent scenes that can be appreciated in and of themselves as snippets, but his 90s stuff is more cohesive and serious than his schlocky super-camp "I'm referencing poo poo I saw in the 70s" crap he's been putting out in the last decade and some.

It's dead-end cinema.

Well to be fair I mean Basterds is implicitly about cinema itself. It's wrapped up in a 'Dirty Dozen' type movie, but that's such a small part of it. It seems reductive to say it's not original or creative.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm not a filmmaker, but if each director and writer knew all of the lenses, wouldnt there be no directors of photography?

Its generally expected that a director should have enough technical knowledge to articulate to and discuss with the DP how they want to build shots and scenes, so that the DP knows what his goal is and what to build the scene towards while the director wrangles the rest of the shoot.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Mr. Hand posted:

It's dead-end cinema.

Hmmmmm...nah.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Sometimes i think film aficionados really dont know how to enjoy movies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

To be fair to Willis, I'd be annoyed too if the direction I got from a director was "In this scene, can you act like the character you played on TV show in the 80's?"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Davros1 posted:

To be fair to Willis, I'd be annoyed too if the direction I got from a director was "In this scene, can you act like the character you played on TV show in the 80's?"

For any other old actor i'd agree, but by now, after how many dozens of roles, does he not know the score of "be john mclain on film". Thats all anyone's ever expected of him. He should be happy when someone brings up moonlighting or unbreakable. It means they, despite all that, were true fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sometimes i think film aficionados really dont know how to enjoy movies.

Nah.

• Locked thread