Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Triple Town? I don't remember if it can be played without a connection, but even so it shouldn't need to talk to the server much.

Triple town does in fact work offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mrkillboy posted:

A port of 90s shooter Terminal Velocity has been quietly released on the Play Store.

Did the game really look that lovely? :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh my god, the Dark modifier in YMBAB can loving blow me. :argh:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did the game really look that lovely? :ohdear:

Its probably the dull color palette, I remember Fury3 being a lot nicer looking even though its practically the same game.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The English version of Final Fantasy Tactics is finally out on the Play Store. Like the iOS version, its based on the 2007 PSP port.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 5, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

The English version of Final Fantasy Tactics is finally out on the Play Store. Like the iOS version, its based on the 2007 PSP port.

Whelp, easiest $14 I've ever spent.. Maybe now I'll get a chance to finish it- my PSP took a tumble down a flight of stairs before I could get more than a few hours in.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Whelp, easiest $14 I've ever spent.. Maybe now I'll get a chance to finish it- my PSP took a tumble down a flight of stairs before I could get more than a few hours in.

Can you tell us if it has the PSP slowdown still?

edit: coworker just bought it, and from the opening battle, the spell animations look a lot faster than I remember from PSP/PSN version.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 5, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

I was gonna get it, but they hosed the reslution and squished the sprites to jam the touch screen controls on it. I'll stick to playing it via emulator.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

mrkillboy posted:

Awesome! Have never played this and have always wanted to.

Quick question: does this require an always-on internet connection?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mourning Due posted:

Awesome! Have never played this and have always wanted to.

Quick question: does this require an always-on internet connection?

Nope it is an old playston game remade into a psp version. And this is the port of the psp version.

Also read the before I play. It is a complex game that doesn't have many of the quality of life improvements of newer games. And for the love of god don't ask goons for tips on the game. They will fill up the next 2 pages on every complex detail on how to break the game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If you enjoy FF Tactics, you should really download a Genesis emulator and try out the Shining Force games. They were the godfather of that whole genre of games and I still replay them at least once per yer.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Can you tell us if it has the PSP slowdown still?

edit: coworker just bought it, and from the opening battle, the spell animations look a lot faster than I remember from PSP/PSN version.

I won't be playing it until tonight, but I'll report back. I'll be on a tablet if that matters.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If you enjoy FF Tactics, you should really download a Genesis emulator and try out the Shining Force games. They were the godfather of that whole genre of games and I still replay them at least once per yer.

With the popularity of Fire Emblem it's nuts that Sega hasn't decided to revive Shining Force. Or that none of these indie SRPGs on Kickstarter have learned a single thing from it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mrkillboy posted:

windmill slam downloading this, alright alright alright

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

WarGames: WOPR is a decent dungeon raid clone, with a dash of mutually assured destruction on the side!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh yeah, I played WarGames and also that Combat Cats

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So torn on FFT. I have FFT on my PS1 that I still bust out from time to time. I also have the DS version. Based on that alone you would think it's a no brainer but I'm worried it might be a lovely port. Need some more goon reviews, stat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

vulturesrow posted:

So torn on FFT. I have FFT on my PS1 that I still bust out from time to time. I also have the DS version. Based on that alone you would think it's a no brainer but I'm worried it might be a lovely port. Need some more goon reviews, stat.

In general the War of the Lions PSP version (which this is the port of) is really great. Then again I didn't play FFT back when it was new, so I lack that nostalgia context.

It objectively has a far better English localization than the original, though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wendell posted:

With the popularity of Fire Emblem it's nuts that Sega hasn't decided to revive Shining Force. Or that none of these indie SRPGs on Kickstarter have learned a single thing from it.

They've done a couple remakes of the originals but they blew, and they still haven't bothered to translate and release parts 2 and 3 of SFIII. They seem to have 0 interest in doing anything with that franchise anymore.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

The good:
The translation is way way better. There are cut scene moves. There are two new class.

The bad:
Most classes require an extra class levels to unlock. The english ps1 was made less grindy than the Japanese version. This version has the Japanese grind.

The two new classes require an insane amount of grinding. Like you could make a new save and casually beat the game multiple times in the times it takes to unlock dark knight. And onion knight needs you to master almost every class to be useful.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So are FFT battles only generated by the story? Like they don't have random battles or skirmishes you can do to help grow your team?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Morter posted:

So are FFT battles only generated by the story? Like they don't have random battles or skirmishes you can do to help grow your team?

Green dots on the world map can spawn random encounters when you walk over them. There's a bunch of units and items that can only realistically be gotten from them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just in case people have been on the fence about getting YMBAB, it's fun as hell. I only wish there was some way to buy a bundle that gives me the Android, iOS and PC version and had a cloud save that syncs with all 3 platforms but then I guess we can't have it all.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Xtanstic posted:

Just in case people have been on the fence about getting YMBAB, it's fun as hell. I only wish there was some way to buy a bundle that gives me the Android, iOS and PC version and had a cloud save that syncs with all 3 platforms but then I guess we can't have it all.

Yeah, if 10000000 was your poo poo, then this is extremely your poo poo. I nearly missed my stop today because of it and the last time that happened was... with 10000000.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My only complaint about #ymbab is that the documentation on what things do/don't do is... nonexistent.

Then again, it's probably by design to inspire a sense of discovery. It's also a lot harder than 10000000 and a due to how many new tile types there are, I find myself using a vague semblance of strategy beyond "match everything constantly". Like it really sucks to get to a chest and have no key tiles, and enemy resistances are super meaningful so you have to pay a lot more attention.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What does the Dust purchasable do in YMBAB? It costs 4 Silver, but what does it do.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They've done a couple remakes of the originals but they blew, and they still haven't bothered to translate and release parts 2 and 3 of SFIII. They seem to have 0 interest in doing anything with that franchise anymore.

They still poo poo out awful Shining spinoff games featuring Tony Taka every year, including an almost unplayably bad arcade fighting game last year. I'm guessing they must be dirt cheap to make and pull in a decent amount of money to still be going after this long.

About the best you could hope for at this point is if they start handing old franchises off to Atlas to do something with.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What does the Dust purchasable do in YMBAB? It costs 4 Silver, but what does it do.

Instantly teleports you around The Boat instead of waiting for travel time.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So after the tutorial in YMBAB, I was sent to some kind of map where I tapped on something randomly and was sent to an area that seems way beyond me. Did I gently caress up? What's going on? Usually I can't get past the first enemy unless I get supremely lucky. I think I tapped on Masts or something at the top not knowing that I was supposed to tap on anything.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Didn't see it here (maybe I didn't go back far enough), but Hitman Go is 99 cents right now. I'd never played it before, but it's pretty awesome so far.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They still poo poo out awful Shining spinoff games featuring Tony Taka every year, including an almost unplayably bad arcade fighting game last year. I'm guessing they must be dirt cheap to make and pull in a decent amount of money to still be going after this long.

About the best you could hope for at this point is if they start handing old franchises off to Atlas to do something with.

I just googled tony taka and I would really like my innocence back now please. Shining ended with Shining Force III. OKAY!!???

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

New Leaf posted:

So after the tutorial in YMBAB, I was sent to some kind of map where I tapped on something randomly and was sent to an area that seems way beyond me. Did I gently caress up? What's going on? Usually I can't get past the first enemy unless I get supremely lucky. I think I tapped on Masts or something at the top not knowing that I was supposed to tap on anything.

Yeah I haven't figured out what tapping on any of the different X's actually does. Anyone have a clue?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think it does anything, it's just to show if you have them, like a general progress indicator? I have the mast now, so it's a checkmark instead of an x.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Yeah sort of on the fence about the lack of explanations of mechanics in YMBAB. I assume the quality percentage improves what you find in chests? Also when you go to Change Profile it shows your save as "Ace Level: 1" which implies to me a New Game + mode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah I haven't figured out what tapping on any of the different X's actually does. Anyone have a clue?

It's just a "tap to continue" screen. I thought I screwed up too but the dungeons are totally linear so far. The game being so much harder made me think I had somehow screwed up too.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So, if you weren't super crazy about 10000000000000, is it worth it to try the new one? It looks like kind of the same thing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

So, if you weren't super crazy about 10000000000000, is it worth it to try the new one? It looks like kind of the same thing.

Yeah, I really didn't like the "scroll a row" type match mechanic, as opposed to the traditional swapping adjacent pieces or the PAD thing of pulling a single piece around or Dungeon Raid's trace-a-path thing, or other twists I've seen. Not sure why, though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It is absolutely the same thing. The core mechanic hasn't changed. There's just tweaks to it and a new hamster wheel for it to spin in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The game plays more or less the same, but I'd say the tweaks make it different enough that you might like it. The game is less mindless and has more interesting rewards and a cooler framework (eg building a big rear end boat and populating it with pokemon that give you bonuses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Antti posted:

It is absolutely the same thing. The core mechanic hasn't changed. There's just tweaks to it and a new hamster wheel for it to spin in.

That's too bad.