Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

b0lt posted:

Case insensitivity is retarded, but underscore insensitivity?!

it's very important because this way people who like CamelCase and people who like whatever_dumb_name_they_use_for_this_style can all do their preferred thing and it'll just work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Soricidus posted:

it's very important because this way people who like CamelCase and people who like whatever_dumb_name_they_use_for_this_style can all do their preferred thing and it'll just work!

Yeah, it kind of makes sense if you get really drunk and/or high first.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Athas posted:

perl works the same way

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Athas posted:

420 write programming languages erryday

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blotto Skorzany posted:

perl works the same way

:newlol:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i will say though that i recently turned a program i banged out in perl over the course of three days a couple of years ago over to a c# programmer and he's been able to maintain and extend it without problems. maybe because i used moose? idk.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

whatever_this_style_is_called is objectively superior to camelCase but damned if i can ever find the paper that proved it again

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just kidding, that was ludicrously easy to find http://www.cs.kent.edu/~jmaletic/papers/ICPC2010-CamelCaseUnderScoreClouds.pdf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sw8

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it was almost as easy to find as under_score_cased_identifiers :xd:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Bloody posted:

it was almost as easy to find as under_score_cased_identifiers :xd:

called snake case

don't know why

but it owns

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

b0lt posted:

Case insensitivity is retarded, but underscore insensitivity?!

Doesn't java do this for numbers?

1_510_000 crazy assholes agree

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
underscore is just a capital -

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Athas posted:

i'll bite; why has the sperg programming hivemind decided this is bad?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

If you need any tool other than grep to find all occurrences of a name, you hosed it up

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

hepatizon posted:

If you need any tool other than grep to find all occurrences of a name, you hosed it up

you still don't, just do something like grep -i "butt_?class"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

as with tabs vs spaces i don't care which convention you use, just be consistent

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as with tabs vs spaces i don't care which convention you use, just be consistent

a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, etc etc

much better to have tools that don't care and can work with anything

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nice camel-cased filename

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you still don't, just do something like grep -i "butt_?class"
it's a whole language where you can go global_locations => glob_allocations, experts_exchange => expert_sex_change or whatever

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

it's a whole language where you can go global_locations => glob_allocations, experts_exchange => expert_sex_change or whatever

grep -i \b_*g_*l_*o_*b_*a_*l_*l_*o_*c_*a_*t_*i_*o_*n_*s_*\b

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MononcQc posted:

Speaking of Experts Exchange, there's a class in our code called "CommentUtilityModel" and I laugh every time I use Eclipse's initial-based autocomplete to type it.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Same things should look the same everywhere. There is no way this feature can be used for Good and not Evil.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Athas posted:

Same things should look the same everywhere. There is no way this feature can be used for Good and not Evil.

if the language draws no distinction between butt_factory and buttFactory then there's no need for it to look the same everywhere and i don't have to waste time going back to see which casing it uses. sounds p Good to me

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
of course it does. :rolleyes:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

it's a whole language where you can go global_locations => glob_allocations,

Nice!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

if the language draws no distinction between butt_factory and buttFactory then there's no need for it to look the same everywhere and i don't have to waste time going back to see which casing it uses. sounds p Good to me

then butt_factor_x is a fine variable, but butt_factor_y breaks stuff for no reason

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
swsp's name changes drastically

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

They should just make foo_bar interchangeable with fooBar and maybe FooBar but not foobar. Amateurs.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Underscore should be an array subscript operator so that you can write x_1, x_i, etc. But if that doesn't typecheck or scopecheck then you fallback to treating the whole thing as a name.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

sarehu posted:

But if that doesn't typecheck or scopecheck then you fallback

no

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Seriously. That's as bad as Javascript's "If you misspell a variable name, I'll treat that as a new variable rather than throwing an error".

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
also instead of type declarations we should just say pszFoo and the compiler should deduce the type from Hungarian notation

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i'd be much more okay with compiler-enforced hungarian than normal hungarian

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dessert Rose posted:

also instead of type declarations we should just say pszFoo and the compiler should deduce the type from Hungarian notation

lol if your compiler cant infer the types from context (at least in most cases)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

oh cool, I'm glad there's finally a language for children

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly if you look at such a thing and think it's convenient you are a fuckup. it introduces ambiguity for maintainers and invites fuckups based on someone thinking they are not the same identifier. I don't see what's so hard or undesirable about simply keeping track of identifiers correctly.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

how do you import modules? not by filename-matches-module-name I guess. what form does it use for error messages and reflection? did a PL designer lose a bet?