Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

superjew posted:

That image of the projection shooting out of Ooo's crater is odd. Maybe the ice kingdom is at the edge of the crater? I recall when Jake enhanced the projected map from the enchiridion it zoomed in on an island on the ocean.

I think Ooo is post apocalypse Madagascar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
EDIT: WOW WRONG THREAD

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, there it is.

RIP India, Asia, and the ice caps.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if it's intentional that the only place to survive the apocalypse would be Madagascar.

Anyway I really liked this last episode, just like I like all Martin episodes cause he's the best. I'm so glad that there's a show that features a character who is just totally morally bankrupt and willing to lie and steal and take advantage of people, and he pretty much always wins and finishes the episode with a boatload of gold as a reward. It's exactly how it works in real life!

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 5, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

AT in the past season or so seems to be explaining the pasts of like all the odd little side characters and every magical element like Ice King's crown or Jake's transformation powers. I still enjoy it a lot, but I dunno if they're explaining too much in what started as a goofy D&D for kids.

Agreed. Occasionally a side story works, but I feel like none of the backstory ever really works (extremely rare exceptions like Holly Jolly Secrets aside). "Ooo is a weird fantasyland" should be all the setup the show needs. Sure, the characters can and should grow from there rather than remaining flat caricatures, but I don't think knowing things like "where did Ice King's crown come from/why he calls all the penguins Gunther" or "Let's watch Finn's past life" or "literally anything more about Ice King's sad past" really help the show.

Honestly, I just glanced through the episode list while typing up this post, and I think I've noticed a trend that for me personally, episodes of Adventure Time that do not actually feature Finn & Jake are worse overall.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

AT in the past season or so seems to be explaining the pasts of like all the odd little side characters and every magical element like Ice King's crown or Jake's transformation powers. I still enjoy it a lot, but I dunno if they're explaining too much in what started as a goofy D&D for kids.

Dude, half the fun of goofy D&D for kids is developing weird backstories for stuff, making characters that were funny side-dudes into recurring evil characters.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Martin is pretty agile for a fat guy.

Maybe that's where Finn gets it from.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I feel like some of these episodes would be better received if it weren't for the Finnale hype.

In a vaccuum this seemed like a pretty fun "What's Martin up to?"/"Martin's a scumbag" episode to me, but it's not really the sort of thing the week's promotion led me to expect.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is it about Xayaphone/Kim that they seem determined to swim in a sea of mediocrity with occasional bursts of good instead of taking lessons from their fellow boarders and making great episodes that are great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TwoPair posted:

Agreed. Occasionally a side story works, but I feel like none of the backstory ever really works (extremely rare exceptions like Holly Jolly Secrets aside). "Ooo is a weird fantasyland" should be all the setup the show needs. Sure, the characters can and should grow from there rather than remaining flat caricatures, but I don't think knowing things like "where did Ice King's crown come from/why he calls all the penguins Gunther" or "Let's watch Finn's past life" or "literally anything more about Ice King's sad past" really help the show.

I can sympathize with this opinion, and often I even share it, but to me this last one was one of the good backstory episodes. Shoko was awesome too. As long as the episodes are playful and imaginative and fun then they can still work without Finn & Jake, IMO. The weird bandits in Shoko's episode and the aliens on the Orgalorg planet were so much drat fun that I couldn't help but enjoy those episodes, even despite the fact that I had zero desire to spend a whole episode learning serious backstory for some joke one-liner about Gunter the penguin.

I would have asked for the story to go in this direction, but they have to keep pushing and adding in new things after this many years or else the story is just gonna stagnate. I liked the episode and I think they're now in a better place to tell new stories. Like, I was kinda "meh" when they brought Betty into the current story, but Floaties and seeing her interactions with the various wizzerds was a lot of fun so hey.

Speaking of Shoko, where's the Shoko/Furiosa fanart? Goddamn that movie was incredible.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

XboxPants posted:

Speaking of Shoko, where's the Shoko/Furiosa fanart? Goddamn that movie was incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Promos for tonight's episodes on kingofooo. The promo for The Comet reminded me of one plot thread they left dangling I'd forgotten about : the thorn in Finn's hand.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I would quite happily watch a season of nothing but Martin being an rear end in a top hat through out the known universe.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Clearly the moral of the story is "humans are monsters, thank goodness Finn was raised by dogs".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hello new avatar.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I get the complains about the storytelling in general, but I just love random sci-fi stuff way too much so the last two episodes were loving awesome to me, and the martin one even reminds me of Heavy Metal a great deal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Clearly the moral of the story is "humans are monsters, thank goodness Finn was raised by dogs".

Post-apoc humans are monsters.
Pre-apoc humans seem to do just fine until they get magic.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, I just glanced through the episode list while typing up this post, and I think I've noticed a trend that for me personally, episodes of Adventure Time that do not actually feature Finn & Jake are worse overall.

You could say that AT is both a Sunday morning cartoon and also a proper sci-fi series with actual backstories and continuity. I for one am completely aggravated by the Sunday morning aspects like for example the backpedaling of some events like Finn losing his arm and I absolutely love when they explain the existence of the weird stuff. I guess it's just down to preferences really.

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 5, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think the storytelling is okay - some of the backstories engage me and some don't and that's alright, it's not the end of the world. I love the random adventure episodes even more now that we have backstory, as it gets a lot of deeper meaning to, say, Ice King and Marceline hanging out. I also like the off-the-wall jmoyns imagery and babble since I wind up rewatching scenes just to parse what exactly is happening and I find that enjoyable.

That being said, I thought the Gunther episode was garbage personally.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I feel like some of these episodes would be better received if it weren't for the Finnale hype.
Also this.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I always felt the pretentious faux-artistry stuff, as someone upthread put it, was a much bigger problem with the show than the worldbuilding. Sometimes the worldbuilding is boring, but that sort of twee poo poo you get with this show sometimes has gotten insufferable at points and in certain episodes. Not as much anymore after they stopped trying to push a character arc for Finn, but it's still there laying low

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

high six posted:

I can't wait for some goons to analyze the episode from tonight. It seemed like the most pointless, not enjoyable episode I've seen yet. This week is really disappointing for me.
Yeah, most of these recent episodes have been really meh at best.

I'm kinda wondering if it'll fall into the same trap some webcomics do where the author is trying to cram so much world-building or whatever in that with such a spread apart schedule it is boring as gently caress now, but once everything is able to be marathoned it'll be neat to see things play out.

icantfindaname posted:

I always felt the pretentious faux-artistry stuff, as someone upthread put it, was a much bigger problem with the show than the worldbuilding. Sometimes the worldbuilding is boring, but that sort of twee poo poo you get with this show sometimes has gotten insufferable at points and in certain episodes. Not as much anymore after they stopped trying to push a character arc for Finn, but it's still there laying low
Yeah, there's definitely that too. For instance some of Finn's introspection has been empty and meaningless as hell, and overall just a waste of time. Admittedly that's a pretty drat accurate portrayal of a teenager's thoughts, but still not that fun to watch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a6ESsz46v0

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Bown posted:

What is it about Xayaphone/Kim that they seem determined to swim in a sea of mediocrity with occasional bursts of good instead of taking lessons from their fellow boarders and making great episodes that are great.

Or they could be like Steve Wolfhard's i.e. continually depressing

edit: corrected

Chocolate Teapot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 6, 2015

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was...an interesting end to a season finale.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ahhhhhhh my brain

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.
That was seriously good. Both parts had a great blend of humor, seriousness, cool imagery, the whole shebang.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I found this disappointing after all the buildup honestly. I genuinely think this two-parter was the weakest episode of the whole week.

King of Ooo is probably like my least favorite Adventure Time character ever, he's just a lovely dude but not in the same fun way Martin is. I did think it was cool how they tied it back into the croak dream though.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
It wasn't as intense as previous finales/premiers, but I still thought they were a very strong couple of episodes. My favorites of the week for sure.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Makes me wonder how many other beings on Ooo are reincarnations of comets.

Also I oddly know for a fact that my dad would take the same offer Martin did, and I'd probably waffle or decline.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
No cliffhanger this time, but King of Ooo is still the princess of the Candy Kingdom. I wonder how that's gonna play out.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Did I miss an ep where they resolved bread finn?

e: I guess we assume someone in magic city fixed em up good huh. I was hoping for more bread finn adventures..

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 6, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

So Finn is a god now.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I think I preferred before, when he was just a normal kid among impossibly old beings and demons, surviving just because of sheer luck instead of like now that we know that all that luck was probably his own doing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Good finale, especially with Finn's flower arm being important again but it did feel kinda...empty. I just can't help but think that last year, Martin was a dude imprisoned in this space jail for being the worst of the worst, he breaks out with even worse scumbags, and they did so little with the character in the end. I'm not expecting Lich or Kim Jong Un-Lemongrab levels of douchiness, but there was some wasted opportunity. I was also expecting Orgalorg in the coat to be Betty and somehow she would go pursuing Orgalorg in the spaceship after he spawned into the sky on his own since being an eldritch abomination like that, dude probably wouldn't even need a spaceship. And we probably won't see her for another year. Shame that even Martin's escapades on some boring random rear end alien planet had more relevance to this plot arc than she did.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
It's too bad Orgalorg is probably gone for awhile now, cause I really liked that dude. My favorite part of the episode was when Finn and Jake were just having a chill conversation with this eldritch horror. Plus I really liked his voice. The voice actor sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
I thought Finn's prayer and his down-to-earth decision to stay human was really beauitful. Yup, I think this trippy rear end kid's show is beautiful. Admittedly, I've done a fair amount of acid.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

program666 posted:

So Finn is a god now.

I wouldn't say he is a god as he is still a mortal human being. It is just that in a past life he was an immortal symbol of higher knowledge and a higher plane of existence that decided to reincarnate in to a mortal form.

The catalyst comet is described by Finn as a form of change, a way to shake things up. During his turn as the comet, the change was an immortal entity becoming mortal. This time it is the other way around, a mortal ascended to a higher plane of existence by shedding his mortality.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but what about that stuff about the universal intention stuff he does? I thought they were kind of explaining Finn's luck with that.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?
I hear where your coming from with that, but the entire tail end of this season has been about prophecy and a cyclical cycle that is predestined. Sure a lot of Finn's dumb luck can be contributed to ultimately fulfilling this one task, but not all of it. Finn has always been a well meaning but awkward kid that succeeds by as much skill as just plain dumb luck and I highly doubt that will change now that he has fulfilled part of this prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MojoKingBee posted:

The voice actor sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.
It's most likely Tom Kenny.

• Locked thread