Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fungah! posted:

i;ve seen people do it on sa before and i've read short essays from people who defend robert howard's racism because it's just fantasy, chill out. i'll admit though, don't have any of it in front of me and i didn't see it in here. mostly wanted to bring up the cross burning thing becauise not many people know about that letter

People who do this need to read Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream and sit in a loving corner until they understand what they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

If Lovecraft were alive today he'd just be posting funny memes on /pol/

A fellow redpilled sir.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I assumed people would dislike Lovecraft stuff due to his racism because sometimes it's hard to ignore and I could see that putting people off. Still, don't read Lair of the White Worm everyone.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Lovecraft's mom was a suffragette and his writing was for the most part less sexist than his contemporaries. He'd be a racist white feminist if he was alive today.

He was also not a shut in, more well traveled than most people are today and was in communication with dozens of people at all times through mail.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
I'd like to note, for the record, that the various defenses of Lovecraft in this thread have actually convinced me to entirely avoid his work if at all possible, so you kinda did the opposite of what I'm assuming you were trying to accomplish. So, y'know. There's that!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That and the "Well it was good for it's time" seem.. off to me, sure we can't really morally condemn the author using our standards but when examining the work in TYOOL 20015 we should probably apply our standards.

Death of the author and all that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I'd like to note, for the record, that the various defenses of Lovecraft in this thread have actually convinced me to entirely avoid his work if at all possible, so you kinda did the opposite of what I'm assuming you were trying to accomplish. So, y'know. There's that!

Say that to someone who gives a poo poo.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, like it or not Chaosium and CoC are very important in the history of Traditional Games.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

poo poo is this the history of trad games thread and I didn't notice, now i'll get posting detention and have to do extra homework.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Queen Fiona posted:

'Railroading' is something of a dirty word, but honestly? My greatest successes have been when I've thought ahead toward an endgame. You don't need to plan out entire campaigns at once, and you should always be willing to change your plans based on player action and response, but having an idea of 'the plot' and machinations going on behind the scenes helps keep parties going along. It's generally better to over-plan than to under-plan.
Yeah this is something I've done but have been neglecting for some weird reason (probably bad memory), and I probably should get back into my old habit of of really planning out poo poo to do, or at least neat scenes I'd like to see done/ran over in PC fashion. The other side is sometimes, I just hit a creative wall dead on and spend the next however many periods of time confused, lost, and frustrated, which makes me want to give up completely. :sigh:.

Queen Fiona posted:

If you want to be more responsive with player input (and that's a fair cop), well, that requires the players having a willingness to provide said input. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking or cooperating, but sometimes it helps to lay things upfront. One thing you could do is provide some prompts, like GMs tend to do in The Game Room - ask them some questions that you can use as story seeds, make sure there are preexisting connections in the world. It's much easier for players to remain invested in something when they have a stake in it, rather than interacting on an external level and poking at the world state.

I'll definitely try and commit this to memory, it's good advice, thanks.

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i;ve seen people do it on sa before and i've read short essays from people who defend robert howard's racism because it's just fantasy, chill out. i'll admit though, don't have any of it in front of me and i didn't see it in here. mostly wanted to bring up the cross burning thing becauise not many people know about that letter

It's a worthwhile ability to be able to recognize good things in a work, and to simultaneously acknowledge bad things, without the former excusing the latter or vice versa.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything, like it or not Chaosium and CoC are very important in the history of Traditional Games.

It inspired this, it's deffo important.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

01011001 posted:

It's a worthwhile ability to be able to recognize good things in a work, and to simultaneously acknowledge bad things, without the former excusing the latter or vice versa.

Your posting is as good as your choice in nintendo 2nd party based strategy games.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stormgale posted:

poo poo is this the history of trad games thread and I didn't notice, now i'll get posting detention and have to do extra homework.

It isn't, but that was the context that I mentioned Lovecraft in the first place.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

But is there room in this world for both?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fsmhunk posted:

It isn't, but that was the context that I mentioned Lovecraft in the first place.

I'm really not sure the chat thread is the best place for that, maybe the industry thread.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

NachtSieger posted:

I'll definitely try and commit this to memory, it's good advice, thanks.

Not a problem! :h: I'm gonna have to think up good prompts for my own game, actually. I have the world state set up (or rather, previous PCs set it up for me), but not a plot per se beyond a couple of elements - I'm hoping to get good details out of apps, Icon relationships, and prompt answers to get a good narrative going.

Stormgale posted:

Your posting is as good as your choice in nintendo 2nd party based strategy games.

I'd agree with this more if people would stop getting eye-rolly at me about Awakening. :colbert:

Fsmhunk posted:

But is there room in this world for both?

These covers sum up my whole Lovecraft disinterest thing better than words ever could.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's too bad, because my guys at Steve Jackson Games have countless more Cthulhu themed products if you change your mind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

Well that's too bad, because my guys at Steve Jackson Games have countless more Cthulhu themed products if you change your mind.
In strange eons even death may die, but Munchkin still won't be fun.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

In strange eons even death may die, but Munchkin still won't be fun.

The Elder Munchkin shall last beyond the death of the starts, eternal is their watch. (and so we come full circle)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Munchkin is goddamn awesome

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Looking to dip my toes into a wider pool of RP options. While I'm not exactly strapped for cash, cheap and/or free systems are preferred.

To give a starting point, I've played or am at least somewhat familiar with Risus, Dogs in the Vineyard, Microlite20, Fate Accelerated, and Maid RPG. The majority of my RP experience has been with Microlite, followed by Fate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Every system is for free if you are willing to look on the right places.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Looking to dip my toes into a wider pool of RP options. While I'm not exactly strapped for cash, cheap and/or free systems are preferred.

To give a starting point, I've played or am at least somewhat familiar with Risus, Dogs in the Vineyard, Microlite20, Fate Accelerated, and Maid RPG. The majority of my RP experience has been with Microlite, followed by Fate.

What sorta themes or stories are you looking to explore?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm open to anything, in theory.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

We're going to need a bit more to go on than that, I think! Could you give us an idea of what you enjoyed or didn't from the systems you've had experience with? That can give us more to go on when suggesting other directions.

Also, you don't need to spoiler-tag Maid. Or at least, I don't think you should have to!

Every system is for free if you are willing to look on the right places.

I should probably just stop replying to you, but :filez: are kind of not allowed around here?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Queen Fiona posted:

Also, you don't need to spoiler-tag Maid. Or at least, I don't think you should have to!

I feel that Rp was Maid to be spoiled

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I should probably just stop replying to you, but :filez: are kind of not allowed around here?

You should probably stop posting altogether but it's not like I said that he should look into piracy.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Stormgale posted:

I feel that Rp was Maid to be spoiled

No joke, I suggested a Touhou-based Maid oneshot (in which everyone was brainwashed into being a maid at the SDM and had to fix that), and then everyone said they just wanted a game with Fiona as the Master (Mistress?) instead.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
FWIW, I wish there was a story where some gibbering Lovecraftian horror came into our world and promptly died choking on mustard gas; sort of a "the horrors of the universe meet man's capacity for industrial grade slaughter" theme. Gas being one of the first weapons requiring an advanced scientific and industrial base and all. (Shells and bullets are sort of like that, but examples like Japan's cottage industry setup in WWII show that it's not quite as perfect an example as a weapon which requires a strong theoretical understanding of chemistry and big distillation towers to make.)

Then again, I also want to invade Cimmeria and Carcosa and Gor and all those other "sword and sorcery" worlds with picked (bishie) pilots and (bishie) battalions of soldiers under (lesbian) commanders, so maybe I'm not the best person to analyze early 20th century pop fiction.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

I, for one, would gladly take the lead in the Liberation of Gor. :h:
There are lesbian Goreans out there, though. Don't ask me how that works, seriously.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Queen Fiona posted:

I, for one, would gladly take the lead in the Liberation of Gor. :h:
There are lesbian Goreans out there, though. Don't ask me how that works, seriously.
Appropriate use of the [sub] tag.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Appropriate use of the [sub] tag.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Stormgale posted:

For example I don't like lovecraft inspired stuff because 9/10 it's a nihilistic suicide run that will end in failure at best, I don't see the point in playing a game about a story that you cant meaningfully alter.

August Derleth's material is better for gaming than straight Lovecraft. By saying that, I have neatly solved the thread problem, because every Lovecraft fan reading this post will now have to go to the hospital to have the exploded throbbing vein in their forehead repaired.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

um no the proper use of the [sub] tag is "[sub] early and [sub] often" ;)

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

August Derleth's material is better for gaming than straight Lovecraft. By saying that, I have neatly solved the thread problem, because every Lovecraft fan reading this post will now have to go to the hospital to have the exploded throbbing vein in their forehead repaired.

You're a credit to the thread, MSW. :patriot:

Ningyou posted:

um no the proper use of the [sub] tag is "[sub] early and [sub] often" ;)

It really is too bad there's no [dom] tag. (Or [domme] tag, as the case may be.) :palmon:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I normally have no patience for Chthulu and horror gaming in general (being powerless in the face of incomprehensible horrors isn't really my cup of tea), but the Laundry Files games and books are pretty good (except when Stross is going on about how wonderful Mo and his new character that breaks the rules about how to do magic* are). The world is hosed and it's hosed pretty soon, but it doesn't feel as though the characters are wasting their time.

* She can do magic with her brainmeats and this apparently does not gently caress her up

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

so for a second i misread that as "I normally have no patience for Chuubo and horror gaming in general" and got REALLY CONFUSED but

also the little bit of Atrocity Archives I read was interestingish and I've been sort-of-kind-of meaning to finish it at some point but for the most part I feel like Stross' other stuff is way more interesting. :v: (aaaaaa read glasshouse you dorks)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bad Seafood posted:

Atomic Highway is cool and free vi Drivethru RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Queen Fiona posted:

It really is too bad there's no [dom] tag. (Or [domme] tag, as the case may be.) :palmon:

I feel it would dominate tag usage and that would be a problem

• Locked thread