Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

numerrik posted:

Let me know where you find any, as a fellow Dallasite, I am sad to report I haven't ever found any in town.

Total Wine carries old monk regularly. Give em a call to double check but I don't think i've ever not seen it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just remembered I never checked back with this thread. Thanks to swimming anime and everyone else for the recommendations. I ended up going with the El Dorado 12 year since my memories of getting smashed on lovely rum in highschool are all pretty good. (And I figured a little sweetness would help me tolerate the alcohol.) I like it but I think I need to try more rums before I decide how much I like it. There's this vaguely salty caramel flavor when it hits the tip of my tongue (butterscotch I guess) that I really like. When it hits the rest of the mouth I just taste rum flavor and alcohol heat though. "Rum flavor" is probably a bunch of different flavors blended together but I can't puzzle them out yet. It's definitely subtly different than the central flavor of the few other rums I've tried. I'm gonna try some mixed drinks with it next and it would probably make killer rum balls. I think something with more spice to it would be nicefor my next purchase. Speaking of, I was at a local liquor store today getting a gift for someone and they've got a big rum section with Flor de Cana, Smith + Cross and a lot of other stuff that gets mentioned in here frequently.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You just need to try more rum, and do it in a very conscientious way so that you can build up a library of flavours in your head. You have to take your time and pick apart the rum, trying to experience all the different flavour components. If you do it enough you develop a palate that can differentiate between all the different flavours and aromas instead of just "rum flavour".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hey goons,

I will be traveling to Belize this summer for archaeological work and was wondering if anybody knew of any locally produced rums that are a must try. If it helps with your recommendation rums that I have tried before are Mt.Gay, Seamo, and Kraken.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I'm gonna put it out there Ron Zacapa Centenario 30 Year Anniversario is the best rum I've ever drank, its so insanely well balanced everything you could want from a rum is present in the exact right level, only problem is that its pretty loving expensive, luckily the Ron Zacapa Centenario XO is also excellent but more affordable.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Rum selection where I live blows. I wasn't even aware of good rum until a few weeks ago when someone brought a bottle of The Scarlet Ibis to a game night. Jesus that was tasty.

I could find couple of things on the list in the Op at the two liquor stores here. I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana. It's pretty good, especially for $15ish, but I definitely prefer whiskey to it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Which Flor de Cana?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't want to seem like I'm bragging by comparison, but I just picked up my first bottle of J. Wray & Nephew.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I love getting slammed on rum, kraken is probably my favorite it's a good drink I like it in orange juice

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I live in Colorado now, and I want to recommend a silver rum to folks who can get it. Stoneyard Colorado rum is not really great for sipping neat or on ice, but it makes the best daquiri I've ever had. A bottle was about $25 and I've never had Flor de Cana (daquiri gold standard in this thread) but if you're interested in a new one, its definitely worth a look.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't want to seem like I'm bragging by comparison, but I just picked up my first bottle of J. Wray & Nephew.

Now get some ting, crushed ice and mix it all up in a glass and you're ready to get drunk in one of the most fun ways possible.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Alright rum thread. I don't know anything about rum. I like gin and whiskey. I've only had plastic bottle Captain Morgan, sailor jerrys, and kraken. Captain and sailor are bleh. Kraken is drinkable but I haven't found a taste for it and I feel like there is better out there. I'm putting together a home bar and I need a good standby rum around $20 to keep on hand. Has to be good straight or mixed. Something I could use as an intro to rum in general and keep on hand for rum fans.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

At that price point maybe Flor de Caña 7yo. Appleton 12yo or Flor de Caña 12 if you want to stretch your budget a bit (but get a much better rum)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I vote for Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
A shop near me is selling a 'Santiago De Cuba Carta Blanca' rum. Anyone tried it? Any good?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Flor de Cana 4 is my current go-to rum. Never had something taste so good just mixed with Coke

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I started trying to get into rum a few months ago and really appreciated Kraken, especially since it's the only rum I've ever had that hasn't been murder on my stomach. I've been too lazy to keep mixers lately, so what's a solid choice these days for something that's good on its own? $20-30 would be ideal, but I'll just look for a smaller bottle of whatever if need be.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Meldonox posted:

I started trying to get into rum a few months ago and really appreciated Kraken, especially since it's the only rum I've ever had that hasn't been murder on my stomach. I've been too lazy to keep mixers lately, so what's a solid choice these days for something that's good on its own? $20-30 would be ideal, but I'll just look for a smaller bottle of whatever if need be.

I'm quite enjoying Appleton Estate. I either sip it or pour a little over vanilla ice cream. :3:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

I vote for Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve.

and El Dorado 5yr are my go-to multipurpose rums. Affordable, sippable, and make a good mixer too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
when i was in college the local bevmo that my roommate worked at had a close out of this rum called St Elmos, it was soooo bad but they were getting rid of it all for $2.99 a fifth (750ml or 26oz for my friends in the Great White North)

we got loaded lol

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Nooner posted:

when i was in college the local bevmo that my roommate worked at had a close out of this rum called St Elmos, it was soooo bad but they were getting rid of it all for $2.99 a fifth (750ml or 26oz for my friends in the Great White North)

we got loaded lol

Were there any survivors?

Scraped enough money together for a bottle of rum last week, was either going Appletons or Stolen. (A new-ish local label)

Ended up with a bottle of Hennessy Cognac instead.

I have no regrets.

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

The wife and I are going on a cruise to the Bahamas this coming week and we're allowed to bring back a 1L bottle of liquor apiece. So, my question is what rums should we be looking for? Either really good quality in general, or preferably really good quality and locally made that you can't find in the states. I know a little about whiskey, but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to rum.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm getting bored of whisky and it's costing too much anyways, so I wanna try my hand at rum. I'm used to drinking islay scotches and rye whiskies, so I'm assuming I'd like a more dark and flavourful rum. Any notable bang-for-buck, flavourful rums that aren't supplementarily spiced?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Try Mount Gay XO or Appleton 12. Clement VSOP is a recent favorite of mine, it's a lighter agricole, I wouldn't recommend it to you to start with but maybe it's something to try later on if you feel like exploring other types of rum.

Personally I don't care for sweeter rums like El Dorado, Ron Zacapa, etc, but they are not unpopular choices. El Dorado 12 is a good place to start if you are interested in these. Depending on your definition of supplemental spices, be aware that there's a lot of blahblahblah about added sugar in this style of rum, with some companies admitting to it and others not. Personally I think they do add sugar and I don't have a problem with it, it's just part of the style, but believe whatever you want!

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Pyrat is considered a very whiskey-like rum thats a good starting point for whiskey drinkers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jehde posted:

I'm getting bored of whisky and it's costing too much anyways, so I wanna try my hand at rum. I'm used to drinking islay scotches and rye whiskies, so I'm assuming I'd like a more dark and flavourful rum. Any notable bang-for-buck, flavourful rums that aren't supplementarily spiced?

For a whiskey drinker I recommend looking for English-style rums primarily. Coruba is (in my mind) the quintessential black Jamaican, and it should be pretty fun for a whiskey man – rangy and brown sugar-y, with a good dry twang on the finish. The next step up in Jamaicans is Smith and Cross, obviously, and I recommend you go try to find a bottle right now. Big fat sticky brown sugar and funk, and full proof to boot. You might like Guyana rums as well, such as Hamilton 151.

For a bit more refinement, look for rhum Barbancourt. The 5 star is an excellent workhorse and very affordable, and the Estate Reserve is a real treat. Woody, a bit of toasty brown sugar, some dry rubber/charcoal on the finish. It's the rum that really got my whiskey-drinking friend to love rum. You might check out other French-style rhums, but they can get expensive. They've got a lot of character and not too much sweetness usually.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kenning posted:

For a whiskey drinker I recommend looking for English-style rums primarily. Coruba is (in my mind) the quintessential black Jamaican, and it should be pretty fun for a whiskey man – rangy and brown sugar-y, with a good dry twang on the finish. The next step up in Jamaicans is Smith and Cross, obviously, and I recommend you go try to find a bottle right now. Big fat sticky brown sugar and funk, and full proof to boot. You might like Guyana rums as well, such as Hamilton 151.

For a bit more refinement, look for rhum Barbancourt. The 5 star is an excellent workhorse and very affordable, and the Estate Reserve is a real treat. Woody, a bit of toasty brown sugar, some dry rubber/charcoal on the finish. It's the rum that really got my whiskey-drinking friend to love rum. You might check out other French-style rhums, but they can get expensive. They've got a lot of character and not too much sweetness usually.

All of these sound great but none of them are readily available in Canada. :( For a bit more context, I'm pretty sure I don't like overly sweet liquors, as I've never liked bourbons. I picked up a bottle of Havana Club Añejo Reserva and it's okay. I think I'll get some Mount Gay next.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So what's a good entry-level rhum agricole? I've heard good things about Clement VSOP, but I don't want to spend a bunch on a new type of spirit that I might not even like.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
For those of you in New York, Astor Wines currently has an exclusive-to-them bottling of Plantation Barbados 5 year, at 104 proof instead of the normal 80. It's excellent and still under $20. Makes the best rum old-fashioned I've had yet.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Anyone got any solid tips on how best to appreciate Smith and Cross? I love the funk of it neat, but I've a feeling that there's so much more I could be doing with it.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm partial to Smith and Cross old fashioned's myself. 2 oz S+C, teaspoon of simple syrup, dash of bitters, over ice. It'll kick you in the rear end, but if you're drinking it neat normally, you should like it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Friend was over and needed some booze, so she took some Tradewinds green tea (basically arizona but better tasting) and added some rum, which unbeknownst to her was the S&C. I had a sip, it actually tasted kinda good, way better than the green tea is usually. :v:

That is *not* a suggestion, by the way. Just an observation that green "tea" with honey makes a good thing to mix S&C into as well. There's probably real things that are kinda like that.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

silvergoose posted:

Friend was over and needed some booze, so she took some Tradewinds green tea (basically arizona but better tasting) and added some rum, which unbeknownst to her was the S&C. I had a sip, it actually tasted kinda good, way better than the green tea is usually. :v:

That is *not* a suggestion, by the way. Just an observation that green "tea" with honey makes a good thing to mix S&C into as well. There's probably real things that are kinda like that.

Gunfire is a real thing, but it's 1:1 black tea and rum. I suppose yours would be an approximation, though.

I picked up a bottle of Centenario 7 year, not too bad neat and I like the hints of banana (or vanilla maybe? I don't know how else to describe it) in it, but I'd like a recommendation for a mixed drink with it. Old Fashioned's seem to get a lot of love here, is that the way to go with this or should I try something else?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Since I last checked in here I got myself some Diplomatico 12YO, Flor de Caña 12YO, El Dorado 15YO and the new release of the Rum Nation Demerara No.14.
Have yet to try the Flor de Caña but the Dorado 15 and Diplomatico are both rather excellent.

Next up is some British style rums like Smith & Cross and Pusser's,, but I need to take it easy with the booze buying. :shobon:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Anyone got any solid tips on how best to appreciate Smith and Cross? I love the funk of it neat, but I've a feeling that there's so much more I could be doing with it.

I don't know that it's a way to appreciate Smith and Cross per se, but I think it mixes in a kinda interesting way with maraschino. You can do a shaken beachcomber something like this:

3/4 smith and cross
3/4 white rum
3/4 lime juice
3/4 cointreau
1/4 maraschino

If you want to blender it like a proper beachcomber then add a quarter oz to each of the rums. You can also do kind of a S&C daiquiri, and sub maraschino for part of the simple syrup.

Looking at that also makes me think you could do a bizarro last word with it, whether the world needs another one be damned.

breaks fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 30, 2015

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
This is an excellent thread and I'm so glad I've found it. I've liked rum for as long as I've been drinking despite an unfortunate experience (the first time I got drunk I got HAMMERED by doing double shots of Bacardi 151). I've started to love dark and stormys made with Kraken, and I'm excited to branch out.

Since reading this thread I've picked up a bottle of goslings and a handle of Appleton Estate V/ X. The goslings makes a fine dark and stormy of course but I was a little let down by the Appleton Estate. Its very easy to drink neat but I don't taste much. It did make my first Old Fashioned a great experience though. Never having an Old Fashioned is a bit of a sin here in northeast Wisconsin, so my girlfriends brother hooked me up with hos homemade Old Fashioned mix (simple syrup and bitters steeping with cinnamon sticks in the fridge) . Still, I think I should have gotten the Mount Gay Eclipse, it was cheaper and I think I'd enjoy drinking it straight better. Oh well, next time I will get that and a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Drinking down some Appleton Estate somethingorother Reserve that I bought for USS Richmond Punch when a friend accidentally recycled the bottle of Smith and Cross I brought for the purpose. :doh:

It makes a decent Old-Fashioned and goes nicely with both pineapple and ginger beer (and both!), but it's definitely the bottle I'll get when I can't get Smith and Cross.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a bottle of Myer's Dark in my cabinet. It's rubbish, what can I do with it to make it palatable?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Maybe a coffee infusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Punches, drinks with multiple spirits/rums, strong mixers. (Like pineapple juice and ginger beer. :v: )

• Locked thread