Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Made a top 10 episodes list as part of a thing with a friend so thought I'd post it here to see if anyone cared or wanted to make their own why not

god there are so many amazing episodes of this show

e: swapped out polygraphy for doc: redux

There's definitely some recency bias (and probably a little Stockholm) in putting the series finale on that list. The finale had a three minute music montage without a single joke, spent a quarter of its run time replaying the theme song over and over again, and sacrificed jokes for unearned sentimentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bown posted:

Made a top 10 episodes list as part of a thing with a friend so thought I'd post it here to see if anyone cared or wanted to make their own why not

god there are so many amazing episodes of this show

e: swapped out polygraphy for doc: redux

Good list, I'd move AD&D & App Development Down and Modern Warfare up.

List left out missing:
Contemporary American Poultry (121, first to pull off the concept episode)
Epidemiology (206)
Pillows & Blankets (314)
Basic Lupine Urology (317)
Digital Estate Planning (320)
Cooperative Polygraphy (504, mentioned)
Geothermal Escapism (505)
Modern Espionage (611)

Special mention:
Investigative Journalism (113 aka, the one with Jack Black)

I'd have both Basic Lupine Urology and Digital Estate Planning in my top 10, probably kicking out Documentary Filkmmaking and... ummm... drat, this is hard. Paradigms? Holiday Music?

All this looking through episodes reaffirms for me that season 3 is the strongest. An interesting note: As little as it means, Modern Warfare holds the high mark for the entire series as far as IMDB, but it's currently tied with Emotional Consequences. Remedial Chaos Theory holds the 3rd spot to itself.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Irish Joe posted:

There's definitely some recency bias (and probably a little Stockholm) in putting the series finale on that list. The finale had a three minute music montage without a single joke, spent a quarter of its run time replaying the theme song over and over again, and sacrificed jokes for unearned sentimentality.

God forbid a show labelled a comedy spend a SINGLE PRECIOUS SECOND not telling a joke!

Also, a quarter of its runtime? Really? The clip of the theme was, what , maybe 7 seconds? And they played it 5-6 times?

Edit: Why the gently caress am I engaging Irish Joe?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brocktoon posted:

God forbid a show labelled a comedy spend a SINGLE PRECIOUS SECOND not telling a joke!

Also, a quarter of its runtime? Really? The clip of the theme was, what , maybe 7 seconds? And they played it 5-6 times?

Edit: Why the gently caress am I engaging Irish Joe?

It is fair to suggest that the episode might be rated a little higher because it's so fresh in the mind.

(I really liked the repetition of the theme, especially when they started to play it faster to get through it.)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Irish Joe does not like Community but continues to talk about Community as much, if not more, than any of us. If anyone understands bias and Stockholm syndrome, it's him, so maybe we should take his words to heart.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Takoluka posted:

Irish Joe does not like Community but continues to talk about Community as much, if not more, than any of us. If anyone understands bias and Stockholm syndrome, it's him, so maybe we should take his words to heart.

To be fair, I have a different need than the rest of you. When I watch a television show, I want to be entertained. If its a comedy, I want to laugh. The fandom that grew out of and around Community, however, doesn't care about whether the show is funny or entertaining. Community fans are a lot like Gamers in that liking Community has become a part of their identity as human beings. Jack, Britta and Annie aren't characters on a television show to them, they're friends whose stories they've been following for the last six years. People they relate to and want to see be happy. People to whom they're emotionally invested. That's why they'll defend bad seasons and bad episodes, because they feel like their good friends are being attacked. What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes. They see these episodes as like a secret handshake shared among friends. That kind of fandom--that way of watching the show--is pathetic. I have no emotional investment in the show. I don't think the characters are my friends. I don't care if they live or die. I just want to laugh, and when the show fails to amuse me, I'm going to point it out and complain.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 5, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, that's your mistake.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Irish Joe posted:

To be fair, I have a different need than the rest of you. When I watch a television show, I want to be entertained. If its a comedy, I want to laugh. The fandom that grew out of and around Community, however, don't care about whether the show is funny or entertaining. Community fans are a lot like Gamers in that liking Community becomes part of their identity as human beings. Jack, Britta and Annie aren't characters on a television show, they're friends whose stories they've been following for the last six years. People they relate to and want to see be happy. People to whom they're emotionally invested. That's why they'll defend bad seasons and bad episodes, because they feel like their good friends are being attacked. What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes. They see these episodes as like a secret handshake shared among friends. That kind of fandom--that way of watching the show--is pathetic. I have no emotional investment in the show. I don't think the characters are my friends. I don't care if they live or die. I just want to laugh, and when the show fails to amuse me, I'm going to point it out and complain.

This reminds me of the big shift in Simpsons writing around season 8 or 9. They had been doing stories where characters grew and changed and acted as you might expect, and then they switched to just "being funny" instead of the character-driven stuff. I'm not so emotionally invested in Community, but it definitely took a lot out of my enjoyment of the Simpsons.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Thank you for explaining the true and proper way to watch television, Irish Joe, I thought enjoying things was good but now I understand how wrong I was to not be overthinking and not enjoying things, and more importantly not enjoying a lot of different things and telling everyone about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I agree with Irish Joe. People get way too involed with TV shows and the comparison to gamers (or just fandoms in general) I think is pretty accurate. Then again I did enjoy this season for the most part. Not earth shattering or hilarious, but good enough for me to not feel I wasted 30 minutes of my life each time. :shrug:

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I enjoyed this whole season, it feels like we're lucky to live in an alternate dimension where it actually exists. The Karate Kid and Paintball episodes were exceptionally good imo and can hang with some of the classic episodes. Even though it had a lot of great individual moments, I don't think it was overall as strong as season 5.

Harmon is a god and I'll watch anything he puts out, but you could tell his brain is starting to run dry of ideas on what to do with Community. He mentioned multiple times on his podcast about how he was always way way behind schedule, rushing out scripts and only giving the props people and "pants people" minimal time to get anything ready for the next episode.

I'm really looking forward to Rick and Morty restarting soon. Hopefully Dan was rested, on his game and he was able to shoot down all of Roiland's awful ideas. That way we'll get more episodes like them having to go to an alternate dimension and kill themselves and less chairs eating cellphones.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Irish Joe posted:

To be fair, I have a different need than the rest of you. When I watch a television show, I want to be entertained. If its a comedy, I want to laugh. The fandom that grew out of and around Community, however, doesn't care about whether the show is funny or entertaining. Community fans are a lot like Gamers in that liking Community has become a part of their identity as human beings. Jack, Britta and Annie aren't characters on a television show to them, they're friends whose stories they've been following for the last six years. People they relate to and want to see be happy. People to whom they're emotionally invested. That's why they'll defend bad seasons and bad episodes, because they feel like their good friends are being attacked. What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes. They see these episodes as like a secret handshake shared among friends. That kind of fandom--that way of watching the show--is pathetic. I have no emotional investment in the show. I don't think the characters are my friends. I don't care if they live or die. I just want to laugh, and when the show fails to amuse me, I'm going to point it out and complain.

Your assessment is pretty accurate (though way too generalized; there's plenty of normal fans but, shocker, the superfans are going to make themselves heard at a much higher rate), but raises the question: what the gently caress are you doing on a forum for TV obsessives? What is wrong with you that you willingly submerge yourself in a cauldron of the exact poo poo you find pathetic? What's the end goal here? You aren't going to convince anyone. They aren't going to convince you. The end result is that I have to wade through the poo poo piles you relentlessly leave behind.

What's more pathetic, the people who watch this show in a codependent manner or the guy who comes to their lair and complains nonstop about it? They don't have the self awareness to act better; what's your excuse?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The level of betrayal he felt when Yahoo announced their new season tore something from him that he'll never be able to recover. They tore away his ability to respect anything, and they tore away his ability to feel human.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I also want to be entertained and laugh, and the show has done that consistently for me since episode 1 (except Season 4, obviously). Clearly the show doesn't do that for you anymore, so I'm not sure why you bother continuing to watch and comment.

Though, to be fair, you're pretty lovely in just about every thread you post in, so I guess it's your schtick?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Don't feed the Irish Joe, kids.

For the hypothetical movie, I'd enjoy a two part episode format, about 30+min each.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think the finale was pretty funny

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol at the dad's speech about how they never existed in the tag

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I understand realising you no longer enjoy watching or doing something that you used to like and I understand wanting to talk about why you no longer enjoy it. I don't particularly understand continuing to watch something for ages after you've realised you don't like it and I really don't understand deciding that the people who still enjoy it are clearly watching it wrong.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Didn't Irish Joe have a season 4 avatar from the Inspector Spacetime Convention episode before he received the one he got for saying those sexually disgusting things about the picture of that kid?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hi I really liked when Chang said "I'm gay, I'm legit gay." Ok, see ya later.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish they would release a blu ray set of all the episodes. I'll probably end up slowly buying the seasons I don't have through iTunes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Also I thought it was a pretty good season and a little better than season 5. The quality has declined a little bit overall but it has never sunk to the lows other shows like The Office did in its later seasons. I honestly think that as long as Harmon is at the helm, the show will be good.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

1.) TV shows can be more than one thing. Comedies can have you invested in their characters sometimes and that isn't a failing of genre purity.

2.) Once you get unprobated, I would really like to see you compile a top ten list of your favorite episodes. Or, failing that, a top 5? I presume at one point you did like this show and your line about not liking referential humor is something I sympathize with. This request is not sarcastic or meant as a set up for some kind of "gotcha" moment. I'm sincerely curious as to which episodes you think best represent the "good" version of community that the show is now failing to live up to. Thank you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Hi I really liked when Chang said "I'm gay, I'm legit gay." Ok, see ya later.
Chang is super GBS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kickascii posted:

I'm really looking forward to Rick and Morty restarting soon. Hopefully Dan was rested, on his game and he was able to shoot down all of Roiland's awful ideas. That way we'll get more episodes like them having to go to an alternate dimension and kill themselves and less chairs eating cellphones.

Then that wouldn't be Rick and Morty.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

2.) Once you get unprobated, I would really like to see you compile a top ten list of your favorite episodes. Or, failing that, a top 5? I presume at one point you did like this show and your line about not liking referential humor is something I sympathize with. This request is not sarcastic or meant as a set up for some kind of "gotcha" moment. I'm sincerely curious as to which episodes you think best represent the "good" version of community that the show is now failing to live up to. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure Irish Joe has been making these posts since the first commercial break of the first episode of the first season.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Irish Joe posted:

What's more, Community fans like being in on the joke, which is why the top tens posted in this thread contain a lot of gimmick episodes rather than funny episodes.
Great point. What's your top ten Community list, Irish Joe? What do you think, according to your criterion, are the best episodes of Community? Or do you just live to burn other people down without ever putting yourself out there?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pwn posted:

Great point. What's your top ten Community list, Irish Joe? What do you think, according to your criterion, are the best episodes of Community? Or do you just live to burn other people down without ever putting yourself out there?

Lists are boring, but whatever. Here's what I would consider to be the top ten episodes of Community (ordered by season):
Beginner Pottery (S1)
The Science of Illusion (S1)
The Art of Discourse (S1)
Cooperative Calligraphy (S2)
Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design (S2)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (S2)
Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking (S2)
Geography of Global Conflict (S3)
Documentary Filmmaking: Redux (S3)
Basic Lupine Urology (S3)

There are a couple of gimmick episodes on the list, but Basic Lupine Urology is the only one I wouldn't consider good in spite of the gimmick rather than because of it. There's also nothing after season 3 because I don't grade on a curve.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Let's all stop feeding Irish Joe. He's one of the worst posters on SA, like in the top 5. There's clearly very little in his life, so let's all just feel sorry for him.

Instead, let's talk about the tragic lack Keith David in the finale, the only real con of the episode.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I can't narrow these down to a top-10 list, so here are the episodes I most look forward to when I do a rewatch:

S1 "Beginner Pottery" - Pottery class/Sailing class
S1 "Contemporary American Poultry" - Goodfellas
S1 "Modern Warfare"

S2 "Basic Rocket Science" - KFC Spaceship
S2 "Epidemiology" - Zombie Halloween
S2 "Cooperative Calligraphy" - Annie's Pen
S2 "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" - Claymation
S2 "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons"
S2 "A Fistful of Paintballs"

S3 "Basic Lupine Urology" - Law & Order
S3 "Virtual Systems Analysis" - Annie & Abed in the Dreamatorium
S3 "Regional Holiday Music" - Glee Club
S3 "Remedial Chaos Theory"

S5 "Cooperative Polygraphy" - Group Polygraph
S5 "Analysis of Cork-Based Networking" - Sorkin Bulletin Board
S5 "App Development and Condiments" - Meow Meow Beanz

I'd rather re-watch Season 6 than Season 4 but they both fell well short of Seasons 1-3.

In Summary, 2 > 1 > 3.. > ...... 5...... > ... .........................6....................................... > ............................................................................................ 4

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I wish there was an isolated version of "I'm as High as Hell" I could play in my car stereo :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I am mad about the self referential show being self referential

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As much as we like to hate on Season 4, and it is undeniably of lower average quality than the rest, these ones I still find to be "good episodes of Community".

Paranormal Parentage
Alternative History of the German Invasion
Cooperative Escapism
Advanced Documentary Filmmaking
Herstory of Dance
Intro to Knots
Basic Human Anatomy

The rest are at worst on par with an average episode of HIMYM.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Elotana posted:

I wish there was an isolated version of "I'm as High as Hell" I could play in my car stereo :(

They released a Season 1 soundtrack and it's great. Includes isolated, full-length (or full-ish) songs like the rap about sleeping in night caps. Really wish they'd continued and released some more.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Paranormal Parentage
Alternative History of the German Invasion
Cooperative Escapism
Advanced Documentary Filmmaking
Herstory of Dance
Intro to Knots
Basic Human Anatomy

It really says something that I could identify all the other episodes by just their name but I have little to no memory of these. "Intro to knots?"

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

TequilaJesus posted:

It really says something that I could identify all the other episodes by just their name but I have little to no memory of these. "Intro to knots?"

The Christmas one where they tie up the history professor. It's... eh. I leave it out of my yearly Christmas Community episode viewing.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

What was the name of the one that concluded the jeff's father plotline? I bet Dan had some choice words about that.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
There's not enough love for Critical Film Studies in this thread. :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TequilaJesus posted:

What was the name of the one that concluded the jeff's father plotline? I bet Dan had some choice words about that.

That was Cooperative Escapism, and Harmon was devastated because he wanted Bill Murray to play Jeff's dad. Which would have been kind of excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
As someone who just graduated college and left all their friends, that poo poo hit me really goddamn hard.

• Locked thread