Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dyzzy posted:

It's true, we don't get many of the Elder Race over in the states.

And they didn't get many People of Color* in Poland up until 1989, so clearly they know nothing about race relations. Nope, no problems with race, in Poland. :)

*a ludicrous phrase dividing the world into "white" and "not-white" that has somehow become the politically correct term this cycle

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So does no one know?

It's not punishing you, just do the grey quests if you want to. You will still get any monetary and loot rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I think I broke it. I might have done something wrong. The heart's instructions where unclear.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Is there a way to play this in Polish with English subtitles? In the language section I only see options to change the text but not the voice acting.

you have to download the language pack either through GOG Galaxy or off the website.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Everything I've just done so far after the game warns you about a point of no return, from finally finding Ciri up to the battle of Kaer Morhen has been absolutely incredible. My head is spinning from how great the last 2-3 hours of gameplay and plot have been.

I think that (and this is major spoilers) Geralt approaching the cabin on the Isle when he thinks Ciri is dead is probably the most well put together cutscene in the entire game. Direction, camera, faces, body language, everything perfect.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am kind of getting bored of flamethrowering everything to death. For people who have tried it, is light armor and light attack more fun, or heavy armor and heavy attack? I was kind of thinking of switching into a heavy armor combat/alchemy setup.

I'm doing mostly combat skills, with a couple each of signs and alchemy. Wearing the Griffin Set with the Griffin School Techniques trait, using the decoctions that give you bonus damage using different signs or attacks or increasing Stamina regen the more signs you cast (and whatever potions suit the fight). Regen is fast enough to use a sign every two attacks, my blade oils poison things and my Igni's or dancing stars set them on fire while my broadhead crossbow bolts make them bleed. I don't kill things in one hit, but they never hit me and it's flashy and fun to play!

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not punishing you, just do the grey quests if you want to. You will still get any monetary and loot rewards.

ie worthless crap

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well ah those are certainly some loving witches :catstare:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So does no one know?

You get 5xp now for grey quests.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

iCe-CuBe. posted:

ie worthless crap

Go hang out with the people complaining about leveling too fast and getting too much money.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's not wrong, I've virtually never gotten a quest reward that was better than a Treasure Hunt reward, ever. Even when it's like "oh poo poo this is the legendary sword of Fuckghoulsitron" or whatever, as soon as it gets put in my inventory I know it's going to do less damage than the sword I crafted like ten hours of gameplay ago even if the quest and the resulting item are the same level as I am. The only truly useful quest rewards I've gotten are diagrams.

It's the curse of most RPGs, really. I look to Borderlands for another example, where the random loot drops outclass the quest rewards just about all the time unless the quest reward gun is a unique gimmick weapon.

edit: Not talking about gray level quests specifically here though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 6, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I really wanted to go all-red no funny magic poo poo on my next Geralt but I love how messed up he looks when he's high as a kite too. Don't care for the fuzzy green thing you get around the screen at high toxicity... Decisions! :allears:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Deaderinred posted:

You get 5xp now for grey quests.

Guess I'm playing in Offline mode then for a while.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Guess I'm playing in Offline mode then for a while.

Before you didn't get any XP from grey sidequests.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Disables "Input device changed" messages

Holy poo poo thank god. That message made accidentally bumping my desk or hitting F5 to quick save super annoying. And now I can take pretty screenshots while playing without the drat message blocking a whole corner of the screen!

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

How much is left in terms of main plot after the battle of Kaer Mohren

Also god damnit this game is so good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Andrast posted:

Just let him do what he wants, he's playing quietly.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Beastie posted:

gently caress the poo poo rear end swimming controls in this game.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the game, but goddamn the controls suck (PS4).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

Hrm. I haven't had the chance to play often, I didn't notice this. 5xp is better than nothing I suppose.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also some "quests" that are literally just short walks to grab loot or a simple encounter with some bandits don't give XP at all and never did. This confused a lot of people when the XP bug was a thing because they didn't realize they weren't supposed to get any.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like me, for a brief moment before doing another sidequest.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hrm. I haven't had the chance to play often, I didn't notice this. 5xp is better than nothing I suppose.

Not really a reward issue as much as a blanace one so you don't sweep through quests you're overlevelled for which then make you even more overlevelled

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
How should I be fighting ghouls and drowners? I didn't really pay attention to the tutorial and I'm too much of a grognard to crank the difficulty down a notch. Should I just shlep through the storyline until I've got some decent gear?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Geralt controls much better on the PS4, so that's good.

Now make quest rewards worth a drat and then we'll talk. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

How should I be fighting ghouls and drowners? I didn't really pay attention to the tutorial and I'm too much of a grognard to crank the difficulty down a notch. Should I just shlep through the storyline until I've got some decent gear?

Always dodge and roll sideways, not backwards. If you've got a decent overall bonus to sign intensity, use Igni to set a bunch of them on fire and keep them out of the fight for a while, otherwise use Quen or Aard. Basically never stop rolling and dodging and only sneak in the occasional hit when it seems safe. Against some of their attacks you can use the timed parry to get in an instant counter attack, but I've never found that to be particularly helpful.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 6, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

I gather from your post you're fairly early on in the game, and at that point groups of enemies can be pretty challenging.

For ghouls, they're not as aggressive as drowners, and somewhat counter-intuitively, most of their attacks can actually be blocked. As Perestroika says, the key is dodging frequently, to the sides rather than backwards. When a ghoul leaps backwards, it's going to pounce forward, so be ready to dodge to the side. Get a few fast hits in and ready yourself for the pounce.

Drowners can't be blocked, but they can be countered by pressing the block button at the right moment - however, this isn't a particularly useful tactic, and drowners are much more prone to swarming you than ghouls are. Same principle applies - when the drowner dodges backwards, it's about to pounce at you, so break off your attack and be ready to dodge. When you're faced with several at once, try to pull one a bit further from the others, and make liberal use of your signs. With low Sign Intensity, Igni isn't very likely to set them alight, which is where most of that sign's damage comes from. An Yrden circle really helps when you're being swarmed though, as it slows the enemies and gives you more time to react, so you can sneak in a few attacks when you get a breather from dodging and rolling. Keeping the Quen shield up will help a lot too, but be aware that if a drowner hits you with the first blow of its one-two combo, that'll break your shield and leave you open to the follow-up. It's very easy to get stun-locked when facing a group, so keeping agile and dancing around your Yrden circle is a good idea, only attacking when you have an opening.

Axii will (very) briefly incapacitate one of them so you can wail on his mate, and Aard can clear you a little space for a moment, with a chance to knock down your opponent and open them up for an instant kill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively, just hang out until they attack and then dodge once to either side of them, then get in two or three hits while they're recoiling and repeat. Drowners and Ghouls make for a pretty good condensed version of the game's combat which is to learn the enemy's attacks and then watch for them, then get the hell out of the way before you are ping ponged between them until you are dead.

It's funny, I've been shooting down peoples' comparisons to Bloodborne and Dark Souls' combat because it's way different than either of them, but one thing they do have in common is that enemies all only have a handful of stock attacks and they become much easier to deal with once you learn what they all are. Wraiths gave me a heap of trouble every time until I noticed that their teleport attack is actually a 3-hit combo instead of just the one hit when they're coming out of the teleport, and then fighting them got way easier.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Thanks! All of that advice was amazingly helpful, it also helps that I figured out shift is not the dodge button.

:downs:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheTrend posted:

How much is left in terms of main plot after the battle of Kaer Mohren

Also god damnit this game is so good.

I'd say roughly a quarter, maybe trending just under rather than over. There's quite a bit left, put it that way.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i've been doing some tweaking to foliage distance. i get a constant 60 fps with that setting on high, but drops as low as 40 on ultra, and i've been trying to find to find a happy middle ground because the difference in quality between high and ultra is pretty nuts. has anyone else done this, and have you found any settings that work well? i'm on a gtx 970 for whatever that's worth.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Thanks! All of that advice was amazingly helpful, it also helps that I figured out shift is not the dodge button.

In addition to what others said, if you manage to apply a crowd controlling effect from runes, weapons or bombs (freeze, igni, not sure about bleeding and poison), don't go after that mob for a while. Getting hit will cancel the effect almost immediately. Let those motherfuckers burn.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

gently caress that Oreton trader, pulling out spies, heroes and Scorch... is there a list of card sharks with general difficulty, or do I have to bear with the guy and hope RNG favours my deck?

If you have a problem with spies, you clearly don't have enough spies and decoys in your deck :v:
I think at that point I was still running a Northern Realms deck and I don't think I ever lost more than once in a row if the RNG decided to hate me. Against most of those opponents, drawing one spy and one decoy already means they're hosed.
Just play random merchants if your cards are poo poo or look here http://gwentcards.com/ to find out where to buy better cards.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

Just a tip: you can actually pretty much hold down block in every combat. You can still tap dodge and roll while blocking, and can even "block cancel" the short dodge--Geralt will block attacks that would have otherwise connected during some portions of his dodge animation (beginning and end).

The only reason not to be blocking at all times is if you're specifically trying to parry. Even "unblockable" attacks deal less damage and the blockstun is almost always shorter than getting staggered by an unblocked attack. The only real drawback is that blocking will temporarily halt your stamina regeneration, including the faster regeneration provided by the Tawny Owl potion.

Basically just don't overthink it. Use quick attacks with no lock-on against groups of smaller enemies to ward them off, then follow up with whatever sign they're weak against. Against single boss enemies use lock-on and dodge to the left or right of their attacks (almost always left), then punish with strong attacks. Everything else is just gravy.

Edit: you can sniff out which attacks are blockable and which aren't with the Quen sign. If you block an unblockable attack with Quen active, the shield will burst. If the attack is blockable, it won't. Almost all non-monster creatures and humans have zero unblockable attacks, meaning you're completely invincible while holding down the block button. The two major exceptions are enemies with two-handed weapons which must be dodged, and enemies with ranged weapons that can only be blocked or parried with the appropriate talent slotted. Bears have unblockable attacks but they're usually way too busy being on fire to use them.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 6, 2015

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Two questions from a level 8 Witcher:

1) When and where do I get the first bear armour quest and what level do I need to be before I attempt it?

2) Where are the hairdressers? I want a ponytail.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hallowed posted:

1) When and where do I get the first bear armour quest and what level do I need to be before I attempt it?

You should find the bear armour quest on one of those maps you can buy from armourers/blacksmiths. It's in Skellige though, so you probably need level 15+.

The first barber should be in Oxenfurt, the city on the river to the east.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hallowed posted:

1) Buy those treasure maps from armorers and blacksmiths. As long as the level of the treasure hunt quest is green, you can attempt it. The sets themselves are usually lower level than the recommended quest level.

2) Oxenfurt and Novigrad are the easiest to find.
Geralt has a ponytail by default though :colbert:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

tbf to you alt is kind of a weird and unintuitive dodge button, even though it kinda makes sense by virtue of being next to space. This type of game just seems to play better with a controller I guess, and the series has been transitioning toward that for a while (with 1 using a controller would be unthinkable, 2 could go either way etc)

turtlecrunch posted:

I really wanted to go all-red no funny magic poo poo on my next Geralt but I love how messed up he looks when he's high as a kite too. Don't care for the fuzzy green thing you get around the screen at high toxicity... Decisions! :allears:

'so geralt, on a scale of 1 to 10 how jrpg do you want to look?'

'just gently caress me up fam'

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 6, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Generic Monk posted:

tbf to you alt is kind of a weird and unintuitive dodge button, even though it kinda makes sense by virtue of being next to space. This type of game just seems to play better with a controller I guess, and the series has been transitioning toward that for a while (with 1 using a controller would be unthinkable, 2 could go either way etc)

Just double-tap the direction you want to dodge #altnotevenonce

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Just double-tap the direction you want to dodge #altnotevenonce

Just bind dodge to space and roll to alt. Customizable controls exist for a reason.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I spent 10k at the pellar buying all his loving glyph recipes and now I discover I can't combine a bunch of my lesser glyphs. Is this just a known bug? I have a ton of less glyphs of igni, but the crafting menu says I have 0.

so that's where you get asschematics for glyphs - is there a similar one for runestones? I keep getting lesser ones but just sell them on becuase I only have one bog standard schematic and all my slots are full with the few greater ones I've found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Since I got to Skellige I can't use anything but Igni. Is this a badly-explained plot thing, or a bug?