Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got into a brushfight with someone where we both died. It was awesome. This thing in fun on a bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

jeez some people can really mash the attack button fast and drop you instantly with the paintbrush. It makes me wish i could rebind the attack key to Y or something to attack specifically for the brush

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

LemonAIDS posted:

jeez some people can really mash the attack button fast and drop you instantly with the paintbrush. It makes me wish i could rebind the attack key to Y or something to attack specifically for the brush

I think it'll benefit a lot from +damage. I was getting hammered by a guy with a primary and two secondary instances of it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Like all roller-types, the Inkbrush is best used sneakily in combat. You gotta think like a shark; pick your moment, and then pop up in a flurry before they have a chance to aim.

The biggest failure I'm noticing from inkbrush teammates in Splat Zones is that they get tunnel vision about the zones and scoring KOs, and don't bother with coverage elsewhere at all. The melee attack can turn any patch of ground your colour super fast, so, y'know, remember to do that.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Well each flick shoots 3 globs and it takes 4 globs to splat you so you could get finished in 2-4 hits depending on how unlucky you are with the glob spread

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Got 18 kills on a full Paint Brush team. DID NO ONE TEST THE WEAPON BEFORE GOING ONLINE. It has no range, it seem to take to long to splat people especial if people have defense up. One even ambushed me from the side and splashed away for 5 secs before I turn and splatted them. Good thing I learn to use the Splatter Shot Pro today.

With that said my friend seems to have know how to use it effectively he got 1200p.
This is what he did:
1. Use the Buddy System. I got splatted but Paint Brush that was standing with a Aerospray in record time.(.5 sec) The game didn't even know who to gave it to some time.
2. Use the sub and special at ever chance you get. Paint Brush seem to get Inkstrike a lot faster then everyone else.
3. When in a big area just tap the button to paint.
4. Don't pick a fight unless its on you have to on your half of the map or some one is there to back you.
5. Hit people from the back instead of the side.

I don't know if it just seeing things but there was a person that had 3 faster walking speed that seem to move a lot faster. I also think you have a lot more ink then the Roller

ALSO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T RUN UP TO A PERSON WITH A PAINT BRUSH WHEN THEY SEE YOU AND ARE SHOOTING AT YOU.
For a whole hour people keep trying to do that like it was no thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Like all roller-types, the Inkbrush is best used sneakily in combat. You gotta think like a shark; pick your moment, and then pop up in a flurry before they have a chance to aim.

The biggest failure I'm noticing from inkbrush teammates in Splat Zones is that they get tunnel vision about the zones and scoring KOs, and don't bother with coverage elsewhere at all. The melee attack can turn any patch of ground your colour super fast, so, y'know, remember to do that.
Also, as a compliment to sneaky rollers working best in their own territory, sneaky brushes work really effectively in enemy territory. Its the fastest weapon when it comes to diving deep, even faster than shadowing a seeker, while you're there splashes and sprinklers are really good at converting, and then if someone gets near you have all these little pools of chaos that you could potentially jump out from and picasso people in the back. Pair with ninja squid and ink resistance and its the backstabbing/spy class of splatoon.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Jarogue posted:

ALSO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T RUN UP TO A PERSON WITH A PAINT BRUSH WHEN THEY SEE YOU AND ARE SHOOTING AT YOU.

This is good advice for Rollers in general.

If the "just walk backwards" strategy is working for you, you're not fighting a good Roller.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew I feel like everyone is getting really good at this game really quickly and I'm just sort of middling and having fun tooling around the map just having fun. I wonder how quickly the player base will separate into people who are crazy good and then people like me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a LOT of fun, I'm just noticing that people are really starting to get amazing at the game mechanics.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Martytoof posted:

Phew I feel like everyone is getting really good at this game really quickly and I'm just sort of middling and having fun tooling around the map just having fun. I wonder how quickly the player base will separate into people who are crazy good and then people like me.

Apparently just see what happens when you face an A+ ranked player.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Also these came up on Splatoon Miiverse

homeless snail posted:

while you're there splashes and sprinklers are really good at converting, and then if someone gets near you have all these little pools of chaos that you could potentially jump out from and picasso people in the back.

Now I want a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "Swim to the sprinkler"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just had a round start with us a man down. Conveniently I had a Tenacity jacket on, so I got off like 3 Inkstrikes. Also outscored every individual on their team. Inkbrush is good.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

This is an interesting point and it highlights a risk/reward element of the way this game's designed which may not be immediately clear. Running up the score when you're already winning gives your opponents the chance to come back with clever special use, while hanging back gives them a better chance to come back through regular coverage.

I always wondered why your special was specifically tied to ground covered. Now I think it's an incredibly subtle rubber-banding mechanic that gives the losing team a slightly faster push to come back. Really clever design.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jarogue posted:

Also these came up on Splatoon Miiverse

Now I want a picture of Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "Swim to the sprinkler"

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I've been trying out that Blaster gun. The rocket launcher.

Why don't people use it more often? I got 900p and 9 kills just goofing around with it. The range leaves a lot to be desired but it works well especially coupled with the disruptor grenades.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How much does the inkbrush cost? Can you use it at level 7?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Theta Zero posted:

I've been trying out that Blaster gun. The rocket launcher.

Why don't people use it more often? I got 900p and 9 kills just goofing around with it. The range leaves a lot to be desired but it works well especially coupled with the disruptor grenades.
People are not used to weapons that require you to aim.

It's even better with point sensor+bubbler aka custom blaster

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How much does the inkbrush cost? Can you use it at level 7?
It's cheap and low level although I'm not positive which.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Man, I am not good with the ink brush, but it is so much fun. My apologies to Lethal Geek.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Does anyone else find their killin' power less effective against Japanese players? I tried a couple rounds of Splat Zones with the Blaster (which is fantastic for claiming areas and clearing them out of pesky vermin) and I was just destroying fools, like 15 kills a match for the first couple rounds. Then I found the group gradually being replaced with Japanese players until it was all Japanese except for me, and I started seeing dudes take blaster shots directly to the face, multiple shots, and just keep on going like it ain't no thing, or having it just explode around them like it's loving Pulp Fiction. I don't care that much about winning or losing, except when it's from total bullshit like that.

The Inkbrush seems like total poo poo unless you have that perk that lets you swim unseen so you can take people by surprise. Those are the only times I've been hit with it.

IronicDongz posted:

People are not used to weapons that require you to aim.

You don't even need to aim that much with it, the splash damage is ridiculous. The only drawback is the low rate of fire, so if you miss then you're kinda hosed.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 6, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Missing with the blaster is actually a big deal. You can kill people with the splash but that makes it go from a one hit kill to two hits. Given its slow rate of fire this is enough to get you killed against an alert opponent.

And yeah playing against Japanese players kind of sucks since a lot of them have crappy connections relative to you and lag out. Its really frustrating to nail some player with several direct hits only for them to kill you anyways, then in the kill cam you see them finally take all that damage and explode.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
I just had a match where everything lagged out for a good 10 seconds (Paint not sticking) and then everyone got kicked but me and one guy on our team, we just painted the map while spamming Booyah! at each other..

raditts posted:

Does anyone else find their killin' power less effective against Japanese players? I tried a couple rounds of Splat Zones with the Blaster (which is fantastic for claiming areas and clearing them out of pesky vermin) and I was just destroying fools, like 15 kills a match for the first couple rounds. Then I found the group gradually being replaced with Japanese players until it was all Japanese except for me, and I started seeing dudes take blaster shots directly to the face, multiple shots, and just keep on going like it ain't no thing, or having it just explode around them like it's loving Pulp Fiction. I don't care that much about winning or losing, except when it's from total bullshit like that.

It's probably a lag thing. The worst are the laggy rollers that kill you without flicking paint 2 seconds before they even get close enough.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really frustrating to nail some player with several direct hits only for them to kill you anyways, then in the kill cam you see them finally take all that damage and explode.

I had the opposite happen to me today. I splatted someone pretty quickly and they barely tagged me at all. Then I swam backwards for about three full seconds and I just explode there, saying I got splatted by the guy I splatted.

Moral is it's frustrating on both ends.

A SEXY MISTAKE
Nov 4, 2005

got to make some space
Two things I have learned about the Inkbrush:
1. The thing is made for blitzing a path past people. Good for getting past spawn locks and painting the other teams side.
2. You can conk someone upside the head with no ink left if they're close enough.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think the Inkbrush is an objectively horrible weapon. Every person that comes for me with it always does at from a pitiful exchange.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That's Afro Dynamite or Shaft

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
This game is getting tons of good fanart, just found this on pixiv:

Artist is this guy: http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=302520

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
that guy has a knack for drawin panties

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

raditts posted:

Does anyone else find their killin' power less effective against Japanese players? I tried a couple rounds of Splat Zones with the Blaster (which is fantastic for claiming areas and clearing them out of pesky vermin) and I was just destroying fools, like 15 kills a match for the first couple rounds. Then I found the group gradually being replaced with Japanese players until it was all Japanese except for me, and I started seeing dudes take blaster shots directly to the face, multiple shots, and just keep on going like it ain't no thing, or having it just explode around them like it's loving Pulp Fiction. I don't care that much about winning or losing, except when it's from total bullshit like that.inda hosed.

They never seem to realize they're dead until after they've already killed you. It's weird, I get the lag and it's frustrating but I wonder how frustrating it is for them to deal with our latency as well. You just always trade deaths with hiragana names.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

that guy has a knack for drawin panties

I wont ask how you know

Current setup that I can afford. Also paintbrush is min lvl 8. Also I hate playing right at this time of night because the only people I match up against are lvl20 japanese. Like wtf, match me up against equal level dudes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So if someone has a one-star piece of gear that they've tricked out to have all the slots and I have Spyke steal procure it, do I get a version of the gear with all the slots or just the one?

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 6, 2015

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I had a match lag so bad that I splatted 3 people and didn't even know it. I shoot a person who just pulled out their Inkstrike, only to have her splat the sec the rocket launched. There was also a match where I splatted a Ink Brush only to have their attacks animation happen and splat me from beyond the grave.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I think their server shitted out for like 3 hours. It's fine for me now but it seemed like everybody had high latency.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

So if someone has a one-star piece of gear that they've tricked out to have all the slots and I have Spyke [strike]steal[/strike] procure it, do I get a version of the gear with all the slots or just the one?

Rarely, there are times where the gear might starts when the a second ability already unlocked but no added on slots.
Guy has to make money some how.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Well, that's two-thirds of the amiibo challenges completed. Girl and Squid are finished, only the Boy remains.

Charger challenges made playing through the story stages again really weird. On the one hand, you can annihilate enemies from afar before they even notice you, eliminating most of the dangers of approaching the stages were designed for including needing to climb the bosses since you can just hit their weakpoints from the ground. But on the other hand, inking up walls can be a royal pain in the rear end, and if you're not good with Chargers in multiplayer then the Octolings are going to stomp all over you if you let them get close. Also, the final boss is hard as gently caress with the Charger.

Kraken challenges are your breather challenges if you're good at navigating the terrain. They're time trials, but if you can avoid dying by falling (you shouldn't ever be dying to enemies since you have infinite invincible death squid transformation) then you should always have more than enough time to finish the stage. If you die though, you'll notice that the clock doesn't reset at all which can really put on the pressure if you have trouble with a specific part of the stage.

Limited Ink challenges are Literally Hitler. You get one or two ink meters on the side of the screen that sub in for your regular ink tank until they deplete, at which point your regular tank starts draining. If your regular tank goes empty, you instantly fail (even if you just broke the Zapfish bulb!). You're forced to be very conservative with your ink, which can make combat a hair-pulling endeavor - you have to get up close and personal with pretty much every enemy since trying to use Splat Bombs with limited ink is a shortcut to insanity (and failure), which makes for fun(?) times if the enemy is an Octoling.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 6, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've not been one for using the guns yet, mostly because I am very bad at the motion controls, tending to stick to rollers and their clear superiority. But I went and picked up one of those .96's and daaamn, that's a fun thudding gun. I don't get so many kills, but I'm getting great coverage and plenty wins.

Been trying to go back to the original campaign to collect scrolls and learn the motion control, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Reiley posted:

They never seem to realize they're dead until after they've already killed you. It's weird, I get the lag and it's frustrating but I wonder how frustrating it is for them to deal with our latency as well. You just always trade deaths with hiragana names.
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask about this. Sometimes after killing an enemy and running off to do whatever, I just sort of die. I also sometimes have a problem where I can paint an area, but the ink spots won't appear for several seconds. The game acts like they aren't there until they show up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I ran into a guy named The Bard in my inkopolis. Dude sure likes his squid girls :stare:

Is there a way to report someone from the lobby?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I ran into a guy named The Bard in my inkopolis. Dude sure likes his squid girls :stare:

Is there a way to report someone from the lobby?

Isn't he the guy who did Miiverse After Dark?

Mildly :nsfw: http://kotaku.com/the-dark-side-of-nintendo-s-miiverse-1708272845

I just tried on Ink Resistance shoes after seeing it mentioned here and...I don't know what to think. The whole ink movement mechanic is brilliant and I kind of feel that it stupidly breaks it over its knee.

But then I am a filthy causal scrub lord, so this may be a kneejerk reaction v:v:v

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, you're still slow in the sense that you can't squid through it, but it's definitely very powerful.

• Locked thread