Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Finally finished off my last DA starter mini, Librarian Turmiel:

He was sitting half-painted on a shelf for 10 months and was a bit worse for wear dust-wise, but he tidied up well enough. :unsmith:

Looking at the close-ups I do need to touch up a few things, but I'm honestly just happy to have one of the starter forces finished. I've had that box set for 2 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hot :drat: that clean as gently caress blue and blending on the sword.

Great color choice too. That model looks great man.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That's very pretty and really POPS

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks - it's just a knock-off of the studio scheme though, so the colour choices were easy. :haw:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Cross post from the warmahordes land

Decided to take a break from the dragons for a bit and got myself a Butcher and had to paint him, and make it bloody.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you have a big hardon for the old GW cases the same company is, IIRC, still making them or a very close derivative of them called Infinity Cases as cases to carry sensitive instruments.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fingers McGee posted:

Decided to take a break from the dragons for a bit and got myself a Butcher and had to paint him, and make it bloody.

Crop your photos buddy. Otherwise looks very neat and tidy. Love the gore on the axe, how did you do it?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fingers McGee posted:

I'm not a huge fan of gore on minis but you pulled it off well. That being said, the paintjob on the model itself is excellent, and the gore doesn't detract from that at all.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Thanks guys. Yea it was late and I was lazy on the cropping. I'm not usually a Gore on minis guy either but I wanted to try some blood effects. My idea was a line or trail of blood off the axe like it was in motion. I used a hot glue gun and just globbed some glue strings on my glass jar I use to was brushes. Kinda dropped down the side. Eventually I had some strings I could use. I painted over them with blood for the blood God. Getting some thick globs on the strings to look like drips. Then I laid it on the axe to see if it looked any good and was satisfied. So I attached it to the axe with some more blood paint. The globs on the axe are a bit bigger than I wanted but I was willing to live with it. I'm not sure how well it will hold up over time though.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

OneTrueBru posted:

JFC, that's beautiful. There's nothing useful I can say about it, it's just gorgeous.

You painted the rim of the base black, though, therefore we can't be friends. :colbert:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Just manned up and switched from my cheap china airbrush to the SOTAR i bought on sale a year ago.
HOLY poo poo that thing is amazing, it's a whole other world with regards to control. It feels like I'm gently drawing on the model with a magic brush compared to the "small spraycan" feeling from the cheap airbrush.
:love:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HardCoil posted:

Just manned up and switched from my cheap china airbrush to the SOTAR i bought on sale a year ago.
HOLY poo poo that thing is amazing, it's a whole other world with regards to control. It feels like I'm gently drawing on the model with a magic brush compared to the "small spraycan" feeling from the cheap airbrush.
:love:

It's so frustrating trying to get exactly this across to people online trying to get tips on their £80/$100 POS airbrush/compressor setup they just splurged out on...

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I've got my eye on a Krome or a Sotar. The Badger Anthem has been great for base coating but I want something with a gravity feed to do finer detail. I might try to grab a patriot just to have a gravity fed base brush. There is some inefficiency with the siphon feed and small amounts of paint. I need to see if it's possible to just buy a Patriot body and attach all the Anthem pieces as they seem interchangeable.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Post 9-11 User posted:

You painted the rim of the base black, though, therefore we can't be friends. :colbert:

Black base rim supremacy. (goblin green can also be cool, if used appropriately)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Super 3 posted:

I've got my eye on a Krome or a Sotar. The Badger Anthem has been great for base coating but I want something with a gravity feed to do finer detail. I might try to grab a patriot just to have a gravity fed base brush. There is some inefficiency with the siphon feed and small amounts of paint. I need to see if it's possible to just buy a Patriot body and attach all the Anthem pieces as they seem interchangeable.

Have you considered getting a paint cup or two for your Anthem? That's what I use for small amounts and it works great

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

What are some beginner tutorials on painting faces (28mm) so I can stop making every mini look like Nazis from the end of Raiders? I've tried a few ways, but I'm not sure if this is the one case you actually need a super tiny brush or not. There is conflicting advice.

My plan is to dig into my pile o' bones minis and paint a new face each day. I will be goodbetter at this dammit.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 5, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OneTrueBru posted:

Black base rim supremacy. (goblin green can also be cool, if used appropriately)

Even though you're 100% correct and Post 9-11 User is a heathen, we probably shouldn't go down this road again.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PirateDentist posted:

What are some beginner tutorials on painting faces (28mm) so I can stop making every mini look like Nazis from the end of Raiders? I've tried a few ways, but I'm not sure if this is the one case you actually need a super tiny brush or not. There is conflicting advice.

My plan is to dig into my pile o' bones minis and paint a new face each day. I will be goodbetter at this dammit.

I learned my facepainting from Jenova Project

https://www.jenova.dk

Females are harder to get looking good than males so start with the guys first.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Only SRM can get away with Goblin Green bases and even then it's the nostalgia factor.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I prefer the old Graveyard Earth - it'd be Steel Legion Drab these days. Well, depending on the base theme honestly, my dark soil/white snow Tau have blue-gray bases, my glowy-lava nids have black rims (contrast, yo) and my marshwater Marines have murky green, but otherwise I default to a simple earthy gray-brown.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drake_263 posted:

I prefer the old Graveyard Earth - it'd be Steel Legion Drab these days. Well, depending on the base theme honestly, my dark soil/white snow Tau have blue-gray bases, my glowy-lava nids have black rims (contrast, yo) and my marshwater Marines have murky green, but otherwise I default to a simple earthy gray-brown.

I've always wanted to paint my bases with different colored rims depending on the squad :shrug:

So, anyway, I've had a hair up my rear end to get back into miniatures for a couple weeks now, the scale modeling thread has directed me back here. I'm not exactly wanting to get back into 40k models, because I'm really not interested in dropping another $120 for rulebooks, but I do really like the Forgeworld Chaos Renegades and I've been wanting to make some for years now :ohdear:

Are there any suitable alternatives? Or should I just suck it up and just make my Chaos Guard?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

signalnoise posted:

Have you considered getting a paint cup or two for your Anthem? That's what I use for small amounts and it works great

I have one and even angling it seems like I need to put more paint into it to get it to siphon up and spray.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Here's a method I recently used to do a medium custard-y yellow, in the form of an Oath Thread crosspost:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I left out a couple of steps in that thread, so here's a much more detailed breakdown:

1.  Zenithal priming, finishing with white from overhead.  (The mini was already primed black when I got it, and I build up from that, so the shadows turned out very dark.  If I were starting from scratch, I'd make my darkest primer color a mid-to-dark grey.  But oh well.)
2.  Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade, thinned about 1:1 and focusing on the crevices and undersides.  I used Lahmian Medium for thinning.  (A sepia wash with more orange in it, like Seraphim Sepia, would also work well; you'd give up some of the deeper contrast, but the gradient would be a much more natural progression.)
3.  Brush on a basecoat of Minitaire Ghost Tints Yellow, mixed with a bit of matte medium and a drop of Liquitex glaze medium.
4.  Brush a small amount of Minitaire Ghost Tints Golden Yellow into a gradient from the areas shaded by wash.  I thinned this with the matte medium/glaze medium above, to help smooth out the blending.
5.  (Optional) Glaze with Lamenters Yellow, or your favorite yellow paint thinned to a glaze level of transparency.  This helped blur the gradient between the Ghost Tints and tie the color scheme together.  It also deepens the saturation nicely (pre-glazing, the yellow was a bit pale for the effect I wanted; YMMV).
6.  Matte varnish as a "save point."  Ghost Tints are hilariously glossy, and the glaze medium tends to dry shiny as well.  The matte varnish will kill that shine, blend the gradient a bit further, and give the appearance of solidity to the final coat.

With this method, the paints are mostly transparent, so the zenithal priming does a lot of your work for you.  This is essentially the method that BULBASAUR suggested a couple of pages back, so any sufficiently-thinned yellow paint should work.  The writeup is also much more complicated than the actual execution; you should be able to get all these steps done in a few hours, and you don't even need an airbrush if you use rattlecan primers and varnish.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I use what used to be called Scorched Brown. It's a dark brown, nothing complicated about that. I still have the Foundation series in Calthan Brown, I have no idea what I'm supposed to switch to when those run out or the pots dry out.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

I use what used to be called Scorched Brown. It's a dark brown, nothing complicated about that. I still have the Foundation series in Calthan Brown, I have no idea what I'm supposed to switch to when those run out or the pots dry out.

Does anyone recall who worked on the Scale Model Helper Android app? That thing was very useful for finding just about any equivalent paint color, but post-Lollipop it doesn't seem to have been updated.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I got my DV box set yesterday after hemming and hawing for a couple years about whether or not I want to get into this hobby. I finally bit the bullet and just did it, and so far I'm having fun putting the models together and painting a couple test Marines. Right now the only paints I have are the ones that came in the GW Starter Paintset (which apparently doesn't exist anymore on their webstore?). This includes: Ushabti Bone, Mournfang Brown, Imperial Primer, Mephiston Red, Agrax Earthshade, Caliban Green, Leadbelcher, and Ulthuan Grey. Like half of these have already started to dry out.. the Mephiston Red in particular, it has a huge dried-up ball of goo floating in the middle of the pot.

Since GW paints are generally a ripoff, how do Vallejo Game Color and Army Painter Warpaints stack up against each other for painting 40k stuff? I'm looking at intro sets for both of them on Amazon. For my DV models, I'll be sticking to the Dark Angels/Crimson Slaughter color schemes.

For content, here's a test marine I painted up using those intro GW paints that I already have. Nothing great, but for one of my first models I think it's fine, and it would be perfectly acceptable on a tabletop:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OneTrueBru posted:

He was sitting half-painted on a shelf for 10 months and was a bit worse for wear dust-wise, but he tidied up well enough. :unsmith:

Looking at the close-ups I do need to touch up a few things, but I'm honestly just happy to have one of the starter forces finished. I've had that box set for 2 years!

This is loving gorgeous. Need to beef up my painting skills considerably. Any tutorials you can reccomend?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Drone posted:

For content, here's a test marine I painted up using those intro GW paints that I already have. Nothing great, but for one of my first models I think it's fine, and it would be perfectly acceptable on a tabletop:

Pretty decent for a first marine. I would advise, when painting light colors, such as on the tactical squad arrow and Dark Angels logo, to try to do multiple thin layers. It will turn out more solid, and will minimize the appearance of brushstrokes.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Drone posted:

Since GW paints are generally a ripoff, how do Vallejo Game Color and Army Painter Warpaints stack up against each other for painting 40k stuff? I'm looking at intro sets for both of them on Amazon. For my DV models, I'll be sticking to the Dark Angels/Crimson Slaughter color schemes.

That's honestly good work for a starter mini - none of the detail is obscured by gloopy, unthinned paint and even small areas are neatly painted.

Paint-wise, I haven't tried any of Army Painter's products besides their spray primers (which worked fine) but you can't really go wrong with Vallejo's range. I mainly use the Game Colour paints and they work just fine. The only issue to be aware of is that VGC paint tends to separate extremely quickly both in the bottle and on the palette, so, if you go with Vallejo, you'll need to be prepared to vigorously shake dropper bottles and keep palette wells stirred while working.

That said, thinking about it, I'm wondering if the Game Air range would be a better buy these days. They didn't exist back when I started, but having pre-thinned versions of (most of) the saturated VGC colours might be pretty handy. Has anyone used the new VGA paints? Are they more 'stable' than the normal VGC ones?

nopantsjack posted:

This is loving gorgeous. Need to beef up my painting skills considerably. Any tutorials you can reccomend?

Thanks! Back when I started GW still hosted their old 'Eavy Metal WD tutorials, which were a godsend when trying to figure out how the whole 'painting 'hams' thing works. If you can find the .pdfs floating around on the web, I imagine they'll still be quite useful even if the paint names have been changed 2 or 3 times since they were printed. Some of the old masterclass ones are depressingly advanced, so don't be put off if you find the NMM chaos lord one - iirc it's loving insane.

Video tutorials - I mainly just watched the 'big' ones: Lester Bursley's awesomepaintjob and the Buypainted dude's channel. They were the main factor that prompted me to pick up an airbrush and I strongly recommend doing the same (if you haven't already). Even if you use it for nothing else, being able to prime and basecoat regardless of weather is awesome.

Speaking of airbrushes, Angel Giraldez's blog and A-Z tutorial book are excellent as well. I just got back into painting after a year out and following one of his step-by-steps has definitely helped knock the rust off. While a lot of the advice he gives can be found all over the internet - the 'Angel Giraldez method' is basically zenithial priming extended to the painting stage - most of his tutorials are nicely laid out, with proper, zoomed-in photos of the work area. See https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.756162454444664.1073742021.436491416411771 for an example.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just so that I don't get this wrong, what's the procedure for sealing a mini with Pledge floor care multisurface finish plus a final coat of Testors Dullcote (or in my case Alclad Klear Kote Flat)?

Is it just one coat of each with a day's drying time in between? Thick? Thin? And i clean the brush with mineral turpentine?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OneTrueBru posted:

That said, thinking about it, I'm wondering if the Game Air range would be a better buy these days. They didn't exist back when I started, but having pre-thinned versions of (most of) the saturated VGC colours might be pretty handy.

Are those only for use with airbrushes, or is the "air" name just a way of noting that it's pre-thinned?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Drone posted:

Are those only for use with airbrushes, or is the "air" name just a way of noting that it's pre-thinned?

They're just pre-thinned (and apparently use a finer pigment to avoid clogging airbrush nozzles). I have a few Model Air paints and they brush on just fine. The VMA metallics in particular are great - they've probably been mentioned in the thread before.

NTRabbit posted:

Just so that I don't get this wrong, what's the procedure for sealing a mini with Pledge floor care multisurface finish plus a final coat of Testors Dullcote (or in my case Alclad Klear Kote Flat)?

Is it just one coat of each with a day's drying time in between? Thick? Thin? And i clean the brush with mineral turpentine?

Sounds about right. The floor polish will self-level so it's actually quite difficult to screw up, just watch that small recesses don't get swamped by run-off from other parts of the model - you can wick away any excess with a brush.

A day's drying time between varnishes will be more than enough. After the gloss coat the model will likely be touch-dry within an hour, but I've had issues with spraying on matte varnish too quickly so taking a break for a day is probably sensible.

When doing the matte coat, take it slow and apply multiple thin coats if needed. I honestly don't know if there's a surefire way to avoid frosting, so just keep a careful eye on the model as you work and stop immediately if you spot any colours becoming overly muted.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cool, the Alklad isn't an aerosol like the Testors so I'll be brushing it on as well. It's meant to be airbrushed, but for this go I'll be doing it by hand.

What do I do if it starts to frost, aside from stop?

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

NTRabbit posted:

Cool, the Alklad isn't an aerosol like the Testors so I'll be brushing it on as well.

What do I do if it starts to frost, aside from stop?

If you're brushing it on, you should be good. I thought you'd be spraying the varnishes, sorry!

If frosting somehow does occur, apparently you can either re-coat model with gloss and try again, or (and this sounds iffy to me) take a cotton bud/q-tip coated with olive oil and gently 'rub' the model with it. I assume that most of the oil then needs to be carefully removed and the model re-varnished.

The latter option sounds seriously dodgy to me, but I've seen it mentioned enough times that it must work (to some extent). Maybe the oil residue that's left fills in the irregularities that cause the frosting? Who knows.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thanks, gonna give it all a go now then

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Drone posted:

So I got my DV box set yesterday after hemming and hawing for a couple years about whether or not I want to get into this hobby. I finally bit the bullet and just did it, and so far I'm having fun putting the models together and painting a couple test Marines. Right now the only paints I have are the ones that came in the GW Starter Paintset (which apparently doesn't exist anymore on their webstore?). This includes: Ushabti Bone, Mournfang Brown, Imperial Primer, Mephiston Red, Agrax Earthshade, Caliban Green, Leadbelcher, and Ulthuan Grey. Like half of these have already started to dry out.. the Mephiston Red in particular, it has a huge dried-up ball of goo floating in the middle of the pot.

Looks a lot better than my first Ork. That box isn't available anymore because they're in the process of replacing their brush line, and that had the old ones in it. Call GW and get those paints replaced though, that's inexcusable and not standard.

Someone actually posted a step by step Dark Angels tutorial today, and it's pretty good. Uses a lot of paints you don't have yet though:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-angel.html

Also, don't buy the Dark Angels codex until July.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone actually posted a step by step Dark Angels tutorial today, and it's pretty good. Uses a lot of paints you don't have yet though:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-angel.html

Also, don't buy the Dark Angels codex until July.

That looks like a stellar tutorial and I look forward to trying it out once I pick up some more paints. I've decided on picking up a bunch of Vallejo stuff, but I can work out equivalent paint names and at least use the guide to get an idea of how, if not necessarily following it paint-by-paint.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Drone posted:

That looks like a stellar tutorial and I look forward to trying it out once I pick up some more paints. I've decided on picking up a bunch of Vallejo stuff, but I can work out equivalent paint names and at least use the guide to get an idea of how, if not necessarily following it paint-by-paint.

You don't even have to figure out the paints yourself.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Meanwhile I'm just waiting for some base extenders so I can get to work on one of my projects - a bunch of rescue Marines I got for cheap from a friend. They included a bunch of old metal Veterans - paired with a couple of rescue minis from another friend I'd just scrubbed and refurbished with some bits, well. Generally I dislike working with metal minis, but these guys have charm to them:

Personally I love the old metal Apothecary sculpt - he's all tiny and goofy compared to the rest of them. I was thinking of getting some cork or something to subtly boost him but I'm now strangely enamored with the idea of a vertically challenged Astartes medic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Which extenders did you get?