Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a video of a inkling attacking the wall and the splash is much much smaller then a rollers and it's only a forward strike. Also a video shows the brush attacking another player with melee and the other player just kind of shrugs it off like whatever. Just a bad feeling that tonights gonna be a mess (ink joke) with everyone using it and not accomplishing much.

That being said gear wise I think I almost have every piece of it. I buy out all the shops every day (and level up random stuff when I'm not wearing the outfit I posted before) and only thing I've seen that I don't have is the snorkel.

Look who was completely right lmao. I had similar predictions and was paid back in cold hard points for like an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's pretty telling of how underwhelming the brush has been that my lovely low effort miiverse post has gotten over 100 yeah's already

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I would like to think it has potential and most people just suck with it.
Its the one weapon that basically lets you move at swim speed through enemy ink.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The brush has a high skill ceiling, given how fast you can swing it and the fact that you can technically cut through enemy ink to get close enough and immediately start swinging. The weapon is good but you have to know what you're doing, and build a gigantic muscled finger to fire quickly with.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Reiley posted:

The brush has a high skill ceiling, given how fast you can swing it and the fact that you can technically cut through enemy ink to get close enough and immediately start swinging. The weapon is good but you have to know what you're doing, and build a gigantic muscled finger to fire quickly with.

It's really easy to track a paint brush user, though. They leave a very distinct trail behind and just simply don't do enough damage fast enough for them to be a significant threat. At best I just usually see them sneaking behind enemy lines and spreading paint everywhere if the enemy team is oblivious enough and more often than not just dying in tandem to their killer. It mostly just seems like a weapon best used for harassment of the enemy or support for your teammates.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When you use the paintbrush don't lay down paint with the running streak, you swipe a bunch of times and paint a HUGE pool of ink to hide in, refresh and paint another huge swath. The hold-down roll gets you in and out of danger quickly but most of what you're gonna want to do is swinging your paintbrush in short quick bursts. You use it basically in an entirely different way from the roller to get the most out of it. It's actually very good, and fun.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Also the fact that its sub is the sprinkler is a godsend. You can build inkstrike faster than any other kit I am aware of.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I think it's pretty telling of how underwhelming the brush has been that my lovely low effort miiverse post has gotten over 100 yeah's already

I saw it as a graffiti spray and it was all I could think about.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've already begun to see some good ninja brushers in Turf War, and a common thread between them is basically a general lack of evidence that they're even there up until you're dead and suddenly a large chunk of the map's been inkstruck. So I'm willing to wager they've been doing what Reiley's suggesting. Also they were all JP because of when I'm actually available to play.

I'm guessing the inkbrush relies pretty heavily on its kit, it just happens to have an all-around good sub and super for getting ink on the ground.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Literally all you hold the brush down for is for getting out of bad spots. Instead just use the rapid fire swing to spread ink and swim forward through it. Also the brush when used properly builds an assload of specials so be prepared to rain inkstrikes down on sniper spots on a regular basis.

So far I think I am in love with the thing.

EDIT: Like, whenever I see other people on my team using it I get why people think it is bad, but that is because they are using it as if it were another roller.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There are basically only two times you really want to use the brush's line:

-The very start of the match, to race and claim a key position.
-When you're more concerned about travelling quickly through enemy ink than covering it up (generally more of a Splat Zone kind of situation)

The inkbrush can get to the back of Saltspray Rig faster than anything else, splat paint all over the top of the "speedbump" there, and then have the jump on the enemy when they make their own, much slower approach. If a teammate with a gun rides your trail to tag along up there, or jumps up to join you, then so much the better!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I just had a hell of a Ranked match. Started off okay and then I notice suddenly all three teammates aren't respawning. gently caress. Fortunately, they lost two of theirs as well. I didn't manage a win, but by god I denied them a Knockout at 57 to 43 :dukedog:.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
After playing a bit more Ranked I kinda think that the only map that really works well in Splat Zones is Port Mackerel. Having to control two spots on the map really helps make it feel much more in line with how Turf War plays.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I just had a hell of a Ranked match. Started off okay and then I notice suddenly all three teammates aren't respawning. gently caress. Fortunately, they lost two of theirs as well. I didn't manage a win, but by god I denied them a Knockout at 57 to 43 :dukedog:.

Ha, nice! Which map were you on? It had to have just one splat zone, I'm guessing.

Last night I was matched with a competent team for 6 splat zone battles in a row. Was nice to get knockouts in the minimum amount of time for a change; I had been getting slaughtered while on teams filled with bozos. Finally got my rank up to C+!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Black Mage Knight posted:

After playing a bit more Ranked I kinda think that the only map that really works well in Splat Zones is Port Mackerel. Having to control two spots on the map really helps make it feel much more in line with how Turf War plays.
I don't think it's bad that it feels quite different than Turf war. However, I really don't like Arowana Mall or Blackbelly Skate Park in splatzones.

Anime Curator posted:

I saw it as a graffiti spray and it was all I could think about.
I feel so powerful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How do I get Super Sea Snails?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oopsie rock posted:

Ha, nice! Which map were you on? It had to have just one splat zone, I'm guessing.

Last night I was matched with a competent team for 6 splat zone battles in a row. Was nice to get knockouts in the minimum amount of time for a change; I had been getting slaughtered while on teams filled with bozos. Finally got my rank up to C+!

Nope, Port Mackrel :smug:. Which frankly was probably the reason I managed that well at all.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Winning the cat vs thing that's gonna lose thing and at great expense from Spike at Lv. 20 iirc.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, Port Mackrel :smug:. Which frankly was probably the reason I managed that well at all.

Woah! Respect.

Last night I managed to rack up wins on Port Mackerel by taking the offensive and assuming my teammates would be defensive on the zone closer to our base. It worked! #Booyah

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

noirstronaut posted:

Playing "team cat" during splatfest.
Cuz' even though dogs are clearly better this is the internet and the verdict is predetermined.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
When is Splatfest and how I can I assist my comrades on Team Dog

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I'm surprised by how much of the fan art I'm liking.

From here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=50747276

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

When is Splatfest and how I can I assist my comrades on Team Dog

Pray, basically.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
June 20th (Sat) 6AM PT - June 21st (Sun) 6AM PT

Date of first Splatfest. Probably accompanied with a new mode and other goodies, other ones are to be announced later down the line.
Nintendo wants this game to have a living community and intends to pump these things our periodically.

Edit:
To help team dog lets get some advice from our favorite advice-giving cat.

... I wish I could photoshop Judd onto this

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 6, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just Googled it and got drat this is rad as hell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I would've thought the average player would be better once I got to B-. Instead I got three separate teams of players who actively ignored a single Splat Charger ruining their day :cripes:.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Ranked mode is a joke.
The joke is made funny by 3100 cash per knockout at rank B.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My team had one sniper all three games (that I played) who was putting in work, but once he was on the other team, I got 6 kills off of him because he's just not that good of a shot. He was using the width of of alleyways and estimated where people would be coming in.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Also in regards to splatfest, some people have found placeholder spots for more music tracks while ripping the game.
It's highly speculated from music heard in the Nintendo Direct that Splatfest will also add some girth to the music in Splatoon.
Get specifically ready for more Squid Sisters songs.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

The Gorp posted:

Also in regards to splatfest, some people have found placeholder spots for more music tracks while ripping the game.
It's highly speculated from music heard in the Nintendo Direct that Splatfest will also add some girth to the music in Splatoon.
Get specifically ready for more Squid Sisters songs.

If you have Squid Beatz, even once you beat the game and go to Turf Wars and all that, you'll notice that some music still haven't been unlocked. It's most likely the Splat Fest music.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

If you have Squid Beatz, even once you beat the game and go to Turf Wars and all that, you'll notice that some music still haven't been unlocked. It's most likely the Splat Fest music.

And if we don't have Squid Beatz and want it but that blasted amiibo is sold out everywhere? *grumbles*

I hope Nintendo does a reprint or at least puts out another squid amiibo in a different color so that the 3-pack people can have their exclusive green, and the rest of us can have...I dunno, purple or turquoise or something.

Never thought I'd care so much about stupid plastic figures.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I think it's pretty obvious why the Inkbrush garnered so much hate so quickly: it's a support weapon, and entire teams were using it at once. A team composed of nothing but supporting classes is going to be at odds with each other more than the opposing team. There's also that people were using it as a Roller, while it's been stated in pretty much every bit of official material related to it - including the game itself - that it's different from regular Rollers. I played a couple of rounds with it and I can already see the good points of it:

>The "rolling" aspect of the Inkbrush isn't meant to run people over, it's to move around the stage quick and unimpeded. You trace a quick and neat trail even through enemy ink, so you can go pretty much anywhere you want, and it also functions as a path for your teammates to use.
>Mashing the fire button to fling ink around can cover up areas surprisingly fast, especially since its swing speed is insane. This is how you ink up turf with the Inkbrush; it's better treated as a Shooter as if it were fired through button mashing.
>Four or five flicks will kill. This isn't just doom for anyone stupid enough to get close to you, but it also counters opposing Rollers because it's a ranged attack and can outspeed their own flick attack if you button mash fast enough.
>You've got the Sprinkler with it. The Sprinkler is always a plus.
>Inkstrikes normally take a while to charge up, but between the Inkbrush's quickflicks and the Sprinkler covering whole areas, you will fill that charge meter very quickly. Use this advantage to rain missiles all over the enemy team.

If you're using the Inkbrush, your job is to throw quickflicks, Sprinklers and Inkstrikes all over the place to keep the Bad Guys distracted so your team can blindside them, and occasionally paint a quick path for them to swim along to get to the action quickly. Once people realize it's not a typical Roller and stop fishing for kills with it, I'm sure their opinions of it will improve.

IMO I think this thing would go loving great with Ninja Squid and a fuckton of Special Charge Ups.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 6, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Tangentially, Squid Beatz is the best because it lets you listen to the final boss music while the game loads. It's great.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IronicDongz posted:

I saw this in-game and Yeah'd it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

I think it's pretty obvious why the Inkbrush garnered so much hate so quickly: it's a support weapon, and entire teams were using it at once. A team composed of nothing but supporting classes is going to be at odds with each other more than the opposing team. There's also that people were using it as a Roller, while it's been stated in pretty much every bit of official material related to it - including the game itself - that it's different from regular Rollers.

Yeah but people really love thinking they have the new weapon completely figured out 10 minutes after it's released

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 6, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. Tangentially, Squid Beatz is the best because it lets you listen to the final boss music while the game loads. It's great.

Yes. Yes, it is. :allears:

Also, currently doing the Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy Amiibo Challenges. So far, it hasn't been too bad, though I'm guessing that'll change soon, and I haven't attempted the bosses yet.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Caerulius posted:

I was under the impression that each article was unique, but honestly haven't looked at it that deeply yet. I'm planning to dump the spreadsheet into a database and make the thing more user friendly. Adding pics is easy enough (provided you all do heavy lifting for me.) So if people want to gather pictures go ahead.

How would you want pictures added?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Watching people with the inkbrush think they're doing a drat thing is hilarious.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yes. Yes, it is. :allears:

Also, currently doing the Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy Amiibo Challenges. So far, it hasn't been too bad, though I'm guessing that'll change soon, and I haven't attempted the bosses yet.

Charger versus the first two bosses is hilariously easy, the third and fourth are simple enough too, fifth wasn't that bad for me but some people have trouble with it. Charger is less of a cakewalk but isn't too bad either; fourth boss in particular gets wrecked by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Kinda wish the left/right aiming was better on the motion controls.

• Locked thread