Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm disappointed that I can't confess my love to Kanji in PQ.

You can almost marry him though which is good enough imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Persona Q's okay if I just ignore Chie, Teddie and Akihiko. And it's got some rocking musical themes.

If you like Yukari/Shinjiro/Ken development it's nice.

Can't stand that third dungeon though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Persona Q's okay if I just ignore Chie, Teddie and Akihiko. And it's got some rocking musical themes.

If you like Yukari/Shinjiro/Ken development it's nice.

Can't stand that third dungeon though.

was it too spooky for you?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PQ did have some pretty good music, yeah. I liked Maze of Life a lot.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

PQ's 4th dungeon was the worst dungeon. When I first started it I still really liked the game and by the time I finished it I loving hated it. I stopped playing it after that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
PQ's soundtrack was probably the best part of the game.

Kanji, Yukiko, and Yukari benefitted the most in terms of writing. Teddie, Chie, and Akihiko became self-parody; although considering the art style being cartooned maybe the characterization becoming caricature was supposed to be thematic? Most likely answer is that it was just a writer who didn't get the characters beyond bullet points.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'd agree that the third dungeon was the weakest. The clocktower felt kind of meandering and I just wanted to finish the game at that point. Enjoyed the ride though, the combat was challenging on hard and the music was great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPlxdPsm0w
Margaret's trailer for DAN.

Looks like she's going to be the only character without alternate outfits.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That dancing actually looks really cool.

said the goon

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPlxdPsm0w
Margaret's trailer for DAN.

Looks like she's going to be the only character without alternate outfits.

Awwwww poo poo, Margaret's throwing shapes.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The Velvet Room club looks sick.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder if we're going to hear anything about P5 around E3. The odds are extremely low, but I'll hope anyway.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
For what it's worth, Sega is practically going to be MIA from E3. It could pop up at a Sony event or something though.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

For what it's worth, Sega is practically going to be MIA from E3. It could pop up at a Sony event or something though.

Atlus will be at E3. Most likely showing off lots of P4DAN and Lost Dimension stuff, maybe a tiny bit of P5 info if we're lucky.

Snowcow fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 6, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wouldn't say just a tiny bit, or if we're lucky. I fully expect lots of new English info at E3.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i suspect we will get confirmation of universal release date + english voice over of the trailer we have seen

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Looking forward to new voices we haven't heard anywhere else in anime before.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
neither of the japanese trailers we've seen have had voice acting; what are you talking about?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

http://mk02jm307.mapyourshow.com/6_0/noscript/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=atl0455
They're going to be at E3. That's just stuff they're going to have at their booth. RPG Playstation 3 and 4 is probably P5. Unless that's also the same game as all the other Role Playing games on there.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Artless Meat posted:

http://mk02jm307.mapyourshow.com/6_0/noscript/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=atl0455
They're going to be at E3. That's just stuff they're going to have at their booth. RPG Playstation 3 and 4 is probably P5. Unless that's also the same game as all the other Role Playing games on there.

Probably a new persona 4 spinoff on the PS4. One can only hope.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Samael posted:

Probably a new persona 4 spinoff on the PS4. One can only hope.

Persona K4rting

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artless Meat posted:

Persona K4rting

already been done

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Honestly, I would be pretty pumped if they just released Golden on an actual console.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can get a Playstation TV for like $60

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

You can get a Playstation TV for like $60

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39403942?...9201632&veh=sem
Walmarts got em for $40 new

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Dang that's a hot deal.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwNQKPlWcw

Yikes.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
im playing devil summoner 2

so far i like it

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

King Abaddon is a much better game than The Soulless Army but it still has a lot of issues and you can tell it had a shoestring budget. It has the best implementation of the "hit an enemy's weak point for special bonuses" thing of any SMT game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

King Abbadon is the best SMT game of all time.

Yes, better than Nocturne. It's close, but it pulls it off.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TurnipFritter posted:

King Abaddon is a much better game than The Soulless Army but it still has a lot of issues and you can tell it had a shoestring budget. It has the best implementation of the "hit an enemy's weak point for special bonuses" thing of any SMT game.

It is pretty meaty and features a lot of SMT demons who haven't shown up anywhere else, which can be a fun selling point.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The sounds like a clusterfuck.

How are you even supposed to dance to this?

buri-chan
Jun 2, 2015

Pretentious Idiot
Why did I bother getting Break Record when I already 100%'d DeSu2 the first time. I know why I did it with the first DeSu: because Overclocked was a lot more necessary. Originally DeSu suffered from a laundry list of defects like having a limited number of demons, and the story kind of ended abruptly. Overclocked helped by incorporating the improvements of DeSu2 into the first game, and also adding some closure to the endings. Here, though, not much was added. I appreciate that it seems like they changed a few abilities to make it harder to spam Multi-Strike/Phys Amp/Drain Hit/Pierce +, but the endgame was still nothing but Multi-Strike. The added on story was pretty lazy, and its premise relied on retconning the original Daichi+ ending. But the monster and stage design for the final stage was absolutely fantastic, and mixed up the gameplay enough to make it a really fun fight. The DLC, though, are completely ridiculous. Aside from the free beginner-friendly grinding map, which I really could have used back when I was doing Wendigo in the first game. But really, it's already a game where you can probably get close to 100% on demons and skills by the end of your first NG+, and the EXP map is harder than just playing free missions instead.

Now that I've complained, back to grinding. Gotta make my repel all Purple Mirror again.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Worst Girl posted:

The sounds like a clusterfuck.

How are you even supposed to dance to this?

They took a baseball bat to the melody of that song. The whole thing is staccato as gently caress, with elements completely overstepping each other.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm near the end of Friday in Record Breaker and I think I'm prepared to say I'm enjoyed Devil Survivor 2 much more than the first, partly because you're not up against the usual Judeo-Christian hierarchy. I know the joke is that the game is basically Demon Genesis Evangelion but I think that even in between all the ~wacky anime hijinx~ 2 feels much bleaker than 1. Just in the mainline series and Overclocked, I've prevented the Millenium Kingdom from coming to pass five times now and smacked down God twice. This game is only the second time in the whole franchise my goofball friends and I have scored a Pyrrhic victory against an alien deity and been forced to regress the world, and it doesn't feel like we'll pull it off a third time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The best part about the Record Breaker bonus story is that you've already killed god and rewrote the world, but now you have to kill super-god and super-rewrite the world.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Clarste posted:

The best part about the Record Breaker bonus story is that you've already killed god and rewrote the world, but now you have to kill super-god and super-rewrite the world.

You're not wrong but I don't actually mind so much, because when Atlus DIVINE PROVIDENCE causes a ridiculous new threat to appear it feels vaguely plausible. YHVH is sort of a known quantity in Megaten-land. Once you've smashed his giant floating face in, Law is basically done for until the next game. If you're neutral, rinse and repeat for Lucifer and Chaos. Here the universe is vast, with a million rear end in a top hat bosses with exciting new bullshit gimmicks literally lining up to destroy humanity and become the next God. It's cool and dark and gritty up for as long as you can keep yourself invested, before you realize it's so dumb it loops right back around to being great. I'm not exactly playing for the story anyway, and this is certainly at least as interesting as SMTIV.

My biggest complaint is that the Septentrione story does an amazing job of avoiding honorifics (the occasional use of "senpai" as a noun not withstanding) and still feeling super-Japanese, and I never realized how nice it is without them until Daichi inexplicably pulls one out of nowhere before Triangulum Tuesday is even over. Having to beat the optional NG+ superboss to fuse a poor man's Lucifer because Nebiros is now an ingredient for Satan? No problem. This "MIYAKO-CHAAAAAN~" business? gently caress right off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The worst thing about the addition of honorifics is that they weren't a thing in the original DS release. I don't remember what exactly Ronaldo called his mentor (it probably was just "my mentor"!), but it wasn't nearly as annoying to read as him just calling him his "senpai."

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

The worst thing about the addition of honorifics is that they weren't a thing in the original DS release. I don't remember what exactly Ronaldo called his mentor (it probably was just "my mentor"!), but it wasn't nearly as annoying to read as him just calling him his "senpai."

He uses "my senior" originally, though he also does use senpai exactly once, but it feels like something they missed in editing. I don't think either sounds particularly fluid, so I didn't really care outside of being glad they fixed the inconsistency in Record Breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Walker posted:

You're not wrong but I don't actually mind so much, because when Atlus DIVINE PROVIDENCE causes a ridiculous new threat to appear it feels vaguely plausible. YHVH is sort of a known quantity in Megaten-land. Once you've smashed his giant floating face in, Law is basically done for until the next game. If you're neutral, rinse and repeat for Lucifer and Chaos. Here the universe is vast, with a million rear end in a top hat bosses with exciting new bullshit gimmicks literally lining up to destroy humanity and become the next God. It's cool and dark and gritty up for as long as you can keep yourself invested, before you realize it's so dumb it loops right back around to being great. I'm not exactly playing for the story anyway, and this is certainly at least as interesting as SMTIV.

To be honest, I kinda liked the fact that killing god turned out not to be an unequivocally good idea. Because, you know, god was important in keeping things running.