Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Smythe posted:

fail,
loser,
junk,
sewer tier.

respectively.

dont sign your posts

and def dont sign them 4 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Tangra posted:

how is that? have you dropped it on hard surface yet? :pram: I got the bigums Z3

oh boy i havent been this scared of dropping a phone since i bought an iphone 4

the phone feels so good though and maaaan is it smooth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LastInLine posted:

lol i had to google a weird phrase from that to figure out from whence it came and that whole thread is hilarious

googles in the right here because lol @ ppl still using safari 5 and opera 12

opera 12 was the last version of opera before they fired the dev team and started selling a re-skinned google chrome as "opera"

there are going to be fanatics using opera 12 for the next ten years, i guarantee it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

opera 12 was the last version of opera before they fired the dev team and started selling a re-skinned google chrome as "opera"

there are going to be fanatics using opera 12 for the next ten years, i guarantee it

people using opera before it was reskinned chrome werent worth supporting then much less now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i still use opera 12 at home. it's good

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

:cawg:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Virion posted:

Android Muscle Milk™

*sleek buff droid benching apples appears in sculpture garden*

repeatedly lifting apple up, year over year?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do they at least make fewer gently caress-ups than chrome's "ui team," who recently ruined the profile switching menu?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do they at least make fewer gently caress-ups than chrome's "ui team," who recently ruined the profile switching menu?

don't know, don't care

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

info provided by CopyKit

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

prefect i thought u were cool :(

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
well, nobdoy's prefect

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Athletic Footjob posted:

well, nobdoy's prefect
other way around

prefect's a nobody

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

...by creating it?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
google....ftw

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/05/uk-government-google-apps/

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Valeyard posted:

google....ftw

:agreed:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

speaking of chrome UI who the gently caress came up with the new bookmarks dialog

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

The Register reports that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has decided it's time to make a clean break and has embraced the search giant's cloud services, becoming the first major UK government department to shift away from Microsoft.

More than 70,000 employees will make the switch, joining 2,500 Cabinet Office users already on Gmail. Google's obviously happy about it, with David Fitton, head of public sector sales for Google UK noting: "The acceptance by HMRC that they can store OFFICIAL information offshore in Google data-centres represents a major change and endorsement of Google's approach to managing sensitive information."

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Elysiume posted:

speaking of chrome UI who the gently caress came up with the new bookmarks dialog

they probably wanted big touch targets for phone users. and because they're microsoft, they thought that the same ui is good for phone and desktop.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive been using ff for a few weeks and it feels slower than chome but at least im not having to undo a series of terrible product decisions in order to use it

why wouldnt anyone want to see their g+ status on the new tab page???

mebbe i should just try running chomium directly idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive been using ff for a few weeks and it feels slower than chome but at least im not having to undo a series of terrible product decisions in order to use it

why wouldnt anyone want to see their g+ status on the new tab page???

mebbe i should just try running chomium directly idk

hail firefox, now with a lovely read-it-later addon preinstalled

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm always surprised when I hear people mentioning that they use the new tab page.

I guess its just a thing that Chrome users do because the omnibox is complete garbage.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm always surprised when I hear people mentioning that they use the new tab page.

I guess its just a thing that Chrome users do because the omnibox is complete garbage.

firefox's awesomebar is the main reason i've stuck with it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dodoman posted:

firefox's awesomebar is the main reason i've stuck with it
same

thanks firefox for knowing that pork chop recipe i found six months ago

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Anybody against Google is a heathen.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
If Google be for us, who can be against us?

Yaos posted:

Anybody against Google is a heathen.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i bet if you do that on wolfman alpha it gives you a 10,000 word essay on atheism

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sniep posted:

i bet if you do that on wolfman alpha it gives you a 10,000 word essay on atheism

no, but it defaults to buddhism when it asks you which religion you want to know about

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Edit: I was looking for more crazy things and found something Google is not responsible for.
https://plus.google.com/105161693935774998677/about?gl=us&hl=en

Yaos fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 6, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

poty posted:

dont sign your posts

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

poty posted:

dont sign your posts

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

comments from former/current google employees on HN. won't be long until google is destroyed

quote:

I recently left Google and I think your characterization of those two groups is accurate. There is a large group of engineers at lower levels working on mundane products who are not especially excited or empowered. I wouldn't recommend working there unless you are on a researchy project (eg. Brain), or you are focusing on things aside rom your career (eg. Many employees with families tolerate working there because of the good pay and benefits)

quote:

I absolutely agree. I left recently as well after more than 3 years. I would not recommend working there unless you 1) Are working on a cutting edge project. Which is unlikely, because those positions are reserved for exceptionally brilliant types, including industry renowned figures (think Sebastian Thrun). Or 2) You want some job security with a big paycheck so that you can manage to live in high-cost Silicon Valley. In return, you'll take remedial work in Java with your choice on any number of systems that Google needs to maintain.

Most people fall into #2. Further, I found that many if not most of the engineers there are foreigners on work visas. Many are not that motivated or very good, and they are most concerned with playing politics and entrenching themselves so that they can stay on their work visas. This has helped to create a culture surrounded with politics and bureaucracy, even more so than other large companies I had worked for beforehand.

The Google name still has a lot of prestige attached to it, especially outside of the Valley. But word is getting out in the Valley about what a mess the company really is, and it's only getting worse.

I would go with a smaller company. You'll learn a lot more.

quote:

I've worked at both Apple and Google, as a SWE. I found very few engineers at either company who are phoning it in. There is great passion in both organizations. I also found engineers to be very vocal internally at both companies, Apple at least as much as at Google. Apple engineers absolutely do not "fall in line" without a fight.

Google is definitely more open in the way you describe, both in terms of collaborating internally and externally. "Googlers switch products often" matches my experience. The transfer process is easy, and hiring managers are welcoming.

The downside is that your team is constantly in flux, making it harder to build relationships or friendships. It is not healthy for a team to be constantly changing; it's better to have stable teams, where contributors can develop deep expertise and collaborative relationships.

At Apple, you have greater chances for meaningful ownership. Software teams are generally smaller, so your responsibilities are broader. Product direction is top down, so what you work on is more likely to actually ship.

Google's "bottom up" culture makes it easier to start up a project. But it also results in duplication, and a sense that the company isn't really committed to your product. My work at Apple mostly shipped, but my work at Google was mostly scrapped. It's frustrating to work on projects that are cancelled, through no fault of your own.

quote:

> My impression, which comes from meeting a handful of Apple employees and several friends who took jobs and later left, is that the culture of Apple is that of “show up, do good work, cash the paycheck, and go home to your family.”

I have a lot of friends and former colleagues who are at Apple and you're wrong about the 'go home to your family.' At least the friends I have (mostly nerds admittedly) are routinely in the 60-70 hours mark (have only one exception and he's worked at Apple since the 1980s). But they seem to like it.

> It is not one of “Let’s conquer the world and become bazillionairres while we’re at it” — the Google culture — which is more prone to eventually jumping ship and creating a startup.

This feels more like Google propaganda. My impression is that google folks seem to work a lot less (long hours its true, but less) than the Apple folks. Unlike Apple I only know nerds at google -- no marketing or business folks, so it could be different.

But of my google friends there are two groups: the übernerds who get to work on whatever they like (basically research) and they seem to have a lot of fun. A bunch of them are former colleagues from PARC and MIT, so they are doing the same kind of work we did years ago -- probably Microsoft research is the same.

The rest are doing product work of some sort of another and none of them seem particularly happy. A lot of them are on the market (I have hired a couple). It feels like Google has reached the microsoft phase: they have two real cash cows and are struggling to find more. Product managers have a lot of sway. They aren't really organized like an effective business.

Apple went through that mode and was within a few weeks of dying. Luckily they debugged themselves. My Apple friends, even those deep in the bowels of tools or drivers, amazingly are still super excited by the Apple products (I guess they would have given up by now if not).

quote:

PMs of old were supposed to be the smartest or most experienced people in the room. Now, mostly due to microsofts export of thousands of poorly trained politically savvy, they are infecting other companies.

interesting fact: fuzzy mammal came from microsoft

cremnob fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 8, 2015

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cremnob posted:

why do you care you werido

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cremnob posted:

in the seattle area?? well i never

Boxturret posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

comments from former/current google employees on HN. won't be long until google is destroyed

apple will be dead long before google

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Boxturret posted:

um i don't care its just relevant to microsoft infecting other companies

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

um i don't care its just relevant to microsoft infecting other companies

you're so angry that microsoft and google are better companies than apple lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

a goon source at apple told me that apple employees leave within 3 years or are lifers. thats why apple is unstoppable and google has reached microsoft's stage of impotence. google has generic silicon valley "ball pit" culture which is why people just come and go and why google has ADD at an institutional level

steve jobs actually gave larry the advice that would make google an actual threat to apple but how larry actually implemented that in practice was to do "spring cleanings" that has led to the google graveyard of failures

• Locked thread